Awoo.

summer of sonic USA

segasage

So who lives in the general vicinity of NYC? I'm gonna throw some names out there... Foxboy Mick, I think you're somewhere in New York state, cdrom1019 also. I know Iceman is in the city, I think Indigo is in the city or otherwise upstate. I'm 20 minutes away in Jersey. Anyone else in the Garden State? People as far away as Philly and Connecticut could possibly come down if we get a large enough gathering. C'mon people! There's gotta be like fifteen of us or so in the area. Maybe we can think of something to do in a few months and DO it! It wouldn't be a convention but like Roareye said, we start small. Any takers or thoughts on this?

Edited by Cupcake Hedgehog

It's all fine to dream and whatnot but I'm just applying the realism factor here..

Yeah, but just because Ontario has more people doesn't mean Western Canada should always get shafted on like...everything. Eastern Canada always gets all the fun =(

Oh well, if anyone though is around the Kelowna area we should meet up to hang out in any case. There a bunch of coffee shops and whatnot around here that are pretty awesome and such.

BakingBluePotatoe

So who lives in the general vicinity of NYC? I'm gonna throw some names out there... Foxboy Mick, I think you're somewhere in New York state, cdrom1019 also. I know Iceman is in the city, I think Indigo is in the city or otherwise upstate. I'm 20 minutes away in Jersey. Anyone else in the Garden State? People as far away as Philly and Connecticut could possibly come down if we get a large enough gathering. C'mon people! There's gotta be like fifteen of us or so in the area. Maybe we can think of something to do in a few months and DO it! It wouldn't be a convention but like Roareye said, we start small. Any takers or thoughts on this?

Well, I live in down here in Virginia, but I do have relatives up there. Might as well hang out with you guys too. ne?

EDIT: As far as Virginia is concerned, perhaps I can get my friend to join with me to start a little "Sonic Club" or somethin'... (we're the 2 biggest Sontakus* in the school) we'd start with the kids in our classes... and work from there!

I guess I'll have to talk to her tomorrow..

*Sontaku= Sonic Geek/Guru/Nerd/OtakuWhatever

Edited by Baking Blue Potatoe

• 2 weeks later...

i don't mind starting small...as long as something we put together will yield success....to my fellow New yorkers.....i'm thinking the Empire state room?

Summer of Sonic USA...if you were planning on putting a convention on, I'd follow the roadshow route, or maybe do something similar to Penny Arcade, in having one on the West Coast, and then a seperate one on the East.

Badnik Mechanic

My roadshow idea won't work... niether will any Sonic convention in the USA no matter where it's held... well it will... but it'll never be as good as the UK one.

Let me explain why.

Pick anywhere in the US, lets say for arguments sake... New York...

So we've got a Sonic convention in New York, big city, great transport links, and it's a tourist city too. So who is going to go... Probably anyone in New York that can make it on the day, and tourists who hear about it, and a few die hards who will travel to it...

Whats the one thing they all have in common?

They're Sonic fans.

Tell me... will non Sonic fans go? Maybe one or two... but thats it... It's the same for the UK one, the only people who would attend would be Sonic fans.... you want evidence of this... T-Bird was stood outside SOS 09 throwing 'golden rings' into the road and people were jumping in front of traffic trying to get one! lol non Sonic fans wouldn't do that!

So who would you meet there... maybe one or two people from the forums that you know, maybe a couple you've heard of but don't really come into contact with.

One of the key success reasons for the original SOS was that everyone in the UK could make it, the distance was doable, even some big fans travelled from Australia and I think there was a couple from New Zeland that made the trip. Just about everyone knew who I was when I introduced myself and we had a chat....

SOS 09 was a tad different... more people came and whilst many people knew me... I didn't really know who they were, it felt a bit lonely at times, even though people knew me.

So, say it's a roadshow, what happens? You attract the local demographic and maybe a few die hards who are willing to travel... but it's never going to feel like 'the whole fanbase was there.' SOS has had that. Due to the UK being an easy county to travel within (in terms of time/distance) it's not a problem.. But for the US... say it's a roadshow... how big is the local demographic in each area? How many people would turn up to each site? I really think that you wouldn't find a high turnout for each one.

The only way to solve that would be to make it a Sega convention... but then you still won't know many people.

I think that the US' biggest problem for hosting an SOS like the UK's is that it's size/costs to travel will limit numbers. Then again... one of the other biggest problems is SOA itself, everybody knows AAUK, everyone knows what he does... without looking it up... does anyone know how active his USA counterpart is? Does he even have one? I know that France has a Sega Rep. But I don't know much of the USA one.

Until theres some type of support from SOA, I don't think that a USA SOS will ever work, then theres the issues of actual turnout.

Meet your Internet best-friends face-to-face. Build a friendship and you guys will form a bond that will allow you to trust each other and commit fully to an event like SoS.

I second this bit of advice from Dread. If you and your internet friend are able to meet up in a pubic area, then what's to stop you? I met one of my internet friends at a local anime convention last year, and we had a great time together. Keep in mind that we knew each other for years, etc. We're hoping to meet up again this year too.

Point being if you're able to arrange a meet up, then do it. Sure, internet communication is great, but you can do a lot in real life too.

Short answer Gavvie, if SOS USA were to occur, I'd have to do the SEGA bit from that side as well.

If I'm being honest, I always saw the idea of SoS USA being you and Dread going to America :P I can't imagine SOA doing as good a job, unfortunately.