Awoo.

n00b moments in Sonic fandom

Rally the Cheetah

Hey all!

I was wondering, before you became the Sonic know-it-all you are today did you ever have any really n00bish moments? For example, one of my friends thought Knuckles was a girl the first time she saw him in Sonic 3 and Knuckles because of his long dreads and the fact that he laughs at Sonic. She thought his laugh looked like he was saying "tee hee" and that fact that he then he runs off with some gems didn't help :lol: .

As for myself, I knew Knuckles was a guy the first time I saw him, however I had now idea what the heck he was. At first I thought he was some kind of dog, like a Puli and that echidna was just a breed name. It wasn't till I looked it up later that I learned that echidnas were spiny anteaters. But even then I still mispronounced echidna for like a month or two until I saw Steve Irwin holding one on Animal Planet. I also mispronounced Chaotix for several months thinking it was Chow- tics. Actually I think it was the game Sonic Heroes that taught me the correct pronunciation. ^^;

So what about you guys? Ever mispronounce a name, get gender confused or just have no idea what a character was or who they were?

n00bish moments? Well, I used to think that Sonic Heroes was actually GOOD, if that counts...

I never tough Tails was a girl, Knuckles, in the other hand... he had an interesting look, thoose "half-closed" eyes was something they used to give to the girls back then (IIRC), he also had an interesting smile, full of confidece, almost like he was flirting.

Now that I thnk abour it Knuckles may have been my first furry/gay experience D: (and AFAIK the last one too) I probably shouldn't have said that. D:

My favorite informational source was Sonic HQ.

Same with me whenever I was around 11 or 12.

I also used to think Tails was a girl, and that Shadow the Hedgehog and Nextgen were amazing games.

..thank the Lord I went back and played SCD, S3K and Adventure. I just practically saved my life then. =P

• Thumbs Up 1

When I was a kid I thought there were secrets in Blue Sphere if you locked it onto Sonic 1.

I didn't believe they wouldn't make it compatible with the first game, it had to be some kind of secret.

So when I was bored I would go through the Blue Sphere levels with the passwords I collected.

I would only get Perfects before I moved on. I kept the passwords on a few sheets of paper, it must have been a hundred levels.

I guess I gave up eventually, because the level patterns just started repeating themselves. I'm awesome at Blue Sphere though. B)

I used to think Amy was called Pinky, I used to think Shadow was called BlackSonic and I thought Rouge was Tails' girlfriend.

Yeah, I was pretty stupid in my younger days.

My n00b moment in sonic fandom is when i though Sonic 06 was good untill i found all the glitches and terrible story

• Thumbs Up 1

I thought Knuckles was a hedgehog until I read in the Sonic Advance 2 guide that he was an Echidna. XD

When I first played SA2, I thought that the calculations on the wall of Sonic's cell on Prison Island were actually of Sonic's doing. It wasn't until ages later that I figured out they were Gerald's.

I thought at first years ago that Amy was a cat.

Also years ago, my older sister tricked me into thinking that if you got a good ending in Master System Sonic 2, you'd get the ending where you see Sonic running through Green Hills Zone to the credits, Sonic looks up at the clouds (Which depict Tails) and Tails would fall out of the clouds and strike a pose with Sonic. I never got the good ending when I was a youngster no matter how hard I tried so I swallowed it hook line and sinker.

Again, years ago I thought that the universes of Satam, AoStH and the games were one and the same.

I also didn't know how in the world to defeat Sandopolis Zone Act 1 boss. It took trial and error to realise I had to lure it into the quicksand.

When S&K first came out, this dude I knew told me you could play as Robotnik in Blue Sphere if you clocked it.

Needless to say, I never did find out that was a lie until years later when I started hanging about on the internet and realised it was basically randomly generated. I played the crap out of it for years and each time I made progress I assumed I had to be near the end by then, surely. Admittedly, I'd have given up much sooner had I not loved those stages so much. That was the only reason I was so persistent for so. flipping. long.

On the plus side, I did master a few thousand stages. Not much in the grand scheme of the game, but still!

Whilst not strictly Sonic related, I actually pronounced 'chameleon' wrong up until a few years back. I always used a 'cha' sound at the start rather than 'ka', so I had unknowingly been pronouncing Espio's name wrong for yeeears..

Worse yet, no one pointed it out to me.

It was quite embarrassing considering that I'm quite keen on the animals too and not just the character.

Me acting like a hypocrite and whining about P.N.'s announcement on here. I'm still concerned about P.N., but will keep a reserved "wait and see" approach instead.

due to the fact fact that I bought SA2B before SADX I used to think SADX was after SA2 and I kept getting mad because there was no grinding when there was in every other sonic game I had played at the time. I also completely bought into this rumor that Fang the Sniper was going to be in Unleashed.

When S&K first came out, this dude I knew told me you could play as Robotnik in Blue Sphere if you clocked it.

On the plus side, I did master a few thousand stages. Not much in the grand scheme of the game, but still!

Lol, this is the same deal as me. I didn't know there were http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cJ_yWwpoxA. I was trying to get playable Knuckles in Sonic 1, or something. :lol:

Whilst not strictly Sonic related, I actually pronounced 'chameleon' wrong up until a few years back. I always used a 'cha' sound at the start rather than 'ka', so I had unknowingly been pronouncing Espio's name wrong for yeeears...

Same, but with the emeralds. I used to say "Cha-os Emeralds" like how you would say "Cheese is a Chao". A year later I found out what the word chaos meant.

Edited by Cupcake Hedgehog

My first moment ever was probobly back in 1st grade when my friend fooled me into thinking there was some sort of alternate ending to Sonic Heroes where Shadow goes up to Geralds dead body and Gerald turns out to be alive(yes I was gullible at 6 but you probobly were to) I probobly should have known that was a lie, I mean this same friend also told me that Shadow killed Gerald and that there was some TV show where all the Sonic characters were babies...LOL I was such a n00b.

n00bish moments? Well, I used to think that Sonic Heroes was actually GOOD, if that counts...

Lol, THIS. Extaticus, we really do think very alike.

Oh, and when I was in... middle school, was it? Anyways, one of my friends convinced me he'd played and beaten both Sonic Adventure 3 and 4, because the games were only released in Japan, but New York imported them early. He described the plot of SA3 as Shadow being turned into a robot by Robotnik and Sonic fighting him. There was also a black one-tailed fox robot that Tails created called Nails. The plot of Sonic Adventure 4 focused on Sonic's brother Manic, an untra buff green colored Sonic who was evil for some reason. But then Metal Shadow took over his mind and the final boss was against Manic and Metal Shadow at the same time. At the end of the game, Sonic became King of Mobius with Amy as his Queen.

I was a very, very, VERY trusting youth. Probably part of why I am so skeptical of everything these days.

Oh, and I used to pronounce Chao as "K-oh". But I know I'm not alone on that.

Edited by Legendary Emerald
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hmmm. Let's see.

"Oh these things in Sonic called ChaoS, I love them!!!" "ChaoS are so cute!!!!"

Foolish Ebby, "Chao" is already a plural.

Buying Sonic Heroes and liking it until one day I said, "Wait... this game is lame!!!!!"

I thought you could control Tails and get him to fly in Sonic 2. I played Sonic 3 and Sonic and Knuckles first, so I was surprised.

Oh, and I used to pronounce Chao as "K-oh". But I know I'm not alone on that.

Oh yeah, I done that too. It even carried on for a while after I heard it pronounced, because I preferred the way I'd been saying it and just couldn't get my head around the proper way lol. Took a lot of forcing to get out of the habit.

I used to think Shadow was cool.

I used to call Sonic Adventure DX "Sonic DX Adventure"

I pronounced echidna "etch-id-na". Yeah.

Playing Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic '06.

Actually wanting those said games.

I actually used to be pessimistic about the addition of new characters back in the day, for whatever reason. Now I love the new cast just as much as the old cast. Why, I suppose you could even say that I believe that the Sonic the Hedgehog series has a dream cast! TEEHEEHEE.

The "K-T-E" next to Knuckles' life count in Sonic & Knuckles baffled me for quite a while, as well. I began to assume he was some kind of a hippity-hop rapper with a cool abbreviated pseudonym as his stage name or something.

Edited by HunterTSF

Spent like, an hour or so trying to unlock Sonic and Tails in Melee when that GameInformer hoax was put up.

Oh ahaha, I forgot all about that one; it was the whole reason I went out and bought Melee. I remember it being 'announced' round about April Fools' Day, and whilst I wouldn't normally buy into things like that, I'd read it in EGM, so I assumed it was genuine. As you can imagine, I was quite disappointed when I discovered the truth after paying full price for a game I (at the time) wasn't fussed about. :lol: I'm just glad I found it so awesome anyway.

The sad thing is, I fell for their Sega Neptune hoax the year before too. I don't know why I didn't see it.

Spent like, an hour or so trying to unlock Sonic and Tails in Melee when that GameInformer hoax was put up.

Oh ahaha, I forgot all about that one; it was the whole reason I went out and bought Melee. I remember it being 'announced' round about April Fools' Day, and whilst I wouldn't normally buy into things like that, I'd read it in EGM, so I assumed it was genuine. As you can imagine, I was quite disappointed when I discovered the truth after paying full price for a game I (at the time) wasn't fussed about. :lol: I'm just glad I found it so awesome anyway.

Ha glad to see I'm not the only one who fell for that... Must have played cruel Melee for hours to try and get 50 kills. Surprisingly I did best with Kirby. Kept turning into a brick and falling on the wireframes. Silly Rally, Sonic is a SEGA mascot not Nintendos... Course this hoax did have a positive side. Made be run around the house shouting "SONIC'S IN BRAWL" at 12:00 midnight when the brawl site updated :lol: .

Edited by Rally the Cheetah

Ha glad to see I'm not the only one who fell for that... Must have played cruel Melee for hours to try and get 50 kills. Surprisingly I did best with Kirby. Kept turning into a brick and falling on the wireframes. Silly Rally, Sonic is a SEGA mascot not Nintendos... Course this hoax did have a positive side. Made be run around the house shouting "SONIC'S IN BRAWL" at 12:00 midnight when the brawl site updated :lol: .

lol Hell try to keep your exicted about Sonic accounced in Brawl in a libary. It does not work out. lol

So does believing Eggman was gonna blow up Earth for real count as a noob moment. I seriously thought that was gonna happen. >.<