Awoo.

n00b moments in Sonic fandom

Rally the Cheetah

When my sibblings and I first played Sonic (Sonic 3 & Knuckles and my first video game ever) we knew sonic was Sonic, but I thought Tails was a girl and Sonic's love interest, Knuckles was Sonic's Brother, Eggman was called "The Boss", and the games plot (Sonic 3 & Knuckles) had something to do with The Boss stealing magical gems to sell to the world and that Sonic and Tails were the protectors of the priceless gems and Knuckles was a silly prankster that enjoyed all forms of assery. Also, Eggrobo was the Boss's true self, he was really a robot and that was him when he took his human costume off. Oh, and when we got to Mecha Sonic we thought that was Sonic's father turned robot by the Boss.

Ah, good times~

Edited by Dusk the Fragile Keeper

Playing Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic '06.

Actually wanting those said games.

Never played NG, but I did get ShtH and was very curious about its gameplay.

I regret nothing about liking the game one bit. :D

-

On-topic:

Once, I said on an FFnet forum that Christopher Thorndyke should be in the game. I still like him, but now don't see him as fitting in the games.

Actually thinking that "Knuckles Adventure" was going to be an actual game. Until I found out it was a hoax. -__-

Thinking I was one of the only people to know that locking on S3 onto S&K unlocked S3&K. I unfortunately failed to realized why S&K had lock-on in the first place.

I used to read the Archie Sonic comic (I subscribed as soon as the series launched back in 1993). As if that's not bad enough, I used to think the comic and video game continuities were the same.

Okay, okay, I'm kind of ragging on Archie in a backhanded way here, I know. But even as a kid, I knew there was something horribly wrong with Endgame. Took me almost twenty-something more issues to stop buying them, though. Add that as another "n00b moment."

I didn't notice Amy's design change in Adventure. I thought that 'Robotniks' new outfit was really cool, but it just didn't occur to me that Amy had changed. I was an avid Sonic R Player, too!

I used to think that Eggman was Robotniks grandson. I'm not sure why...XD

Ha ha, these are all really good. I used to think the game retailer ads in the back of old gaming magazines were more accurate than the mag itself. You used to be able to call them or order things in the mail off a long list. There were so many ads for Sonic 4, which I thought was a real game. It was Sonic & Knuckles.

I used to defend Sonic 06 from reviewers at the time of its release.

.... Yeah.

Hey, you can't really blame it. The game looked really good (like the best since SA1) and.... well, was... crap. :\

Edited by Azukara

I was one of the people who used to think Gerald was the Robotnik of the original games, its a common misconception too, to this day I still see some people who believe it. I guess it's what happens when you go straight from the classics to SA2, which again was common as SA2B brought a lot of people into the franchise, some who hadn't played a Sonic game since the classics. Despite SA's script differences to the original, it DID explain, "This is Robotnik, we're calling him Eggman now" whereas SA2 goes straight into calling him Eggman so if you're not familiar with Robotnik's first name its easy to believe they're the same person.

There's also the awful offmodel fanart I used to draw when I was still a noob. Every so often I'll find an old picture of Sonic I drew in my closet only to put it back where I found it. The eyes were completely wrong and it pic extremely creepy. I had a large drawing of Shadow on my wall for awhile except it didn't look like Shadow, it looked like black Knuckles. Then there's the generic fancharacter I made up but luckily I had learned to draw Sonic characters by that point so the drawings aren't all that bad and are still on my wall.

Well, when it first came out, I used to believe, somehow, that Sonic 2006 was a great game.

...yeah. I was a tool. I think that's as n00bish as it can get :P

When I first played SA2, I thought that the calculations on the wall of Sonic's cell on Prison Island were actually of Sonic's doing. It wasn't until ages later that I figured out they were Gerald's.

I thought this until I read your post.

Thank. You. For. Ruining. EVERYTHING! >:( ;_; Now I have to rethink my whole life.

I also didn't know how in the world to defeat Sandopolis Zone Act 1 boss. It took trial and error to realise I had to lure it into the quicksand.

After hitting him over 20 times (I was knocking him to the right instead of the left), I wondered why he wasn't dead. Then I tried running away and noticed the quick sand. That was a big "OHHH!"-moment

Edited by MarcelloF
  • Thumbs Up 1

I played the games at a slow pace instead of the intended roll-duck-jump at running speed. I have to thank Sonic 3D for misleading me like that (only in like 2002 when I found someone playing Sonic Advance 2 is when I realized everything is played almost non-stop). I still had fun going cautious all the time though. :)

Oh yeah, and me arguing with Emerl back at the days I joined SSMB because of Sonic Battle mechanics or something alike. I feel I played a fool's role now, felt like I was missing a lot regarding that game back then. :P

Edited by MickX

I actually gave into Sega of America's marketing strategy of the early 90's and thought the game continuity and SatAM were one in the same.

Shit, I thought Silver Sonic/Mecha (whatever) from the Death Egg in Sonic 2 was Uncle Chuck!

I used to be one of those fans who spit out crazy things to protect their oh so sacred franchise. I think soon after I first joined (a little before the server crash.) I once said something like Labyrinth Zone in Sonic 1 had the same basic formula as the treasure hunt stages in SA2.

I also enjoyed Sonic 06 when I first played it, only realizing how awful it was the next time around. Though I still will defend Shadow's storyline.

And Shadow's game I might add. The last thing I want is for it to be the style of future Sonic games, but on its own, I actually enjoy the gameplay and how hilariously over the top the storyline was. It's almost sad that it was intended to be serious. (At least as far as I know...)

Spent like, an hour or so trying to unlock Sonic and Tails in Melee when that GameInformer hoax was put up.

I convinced a friend to try that. He actually pulled it off too. Oh the depression.

Also I once believed all the fake cheats about getting Super Knuckles in Sonic Adventure D:

I used to think Metal, Mecha and Silver Sonic were the same thing...

I also used to believe Eggrobo was Eggman... my plot was that he almost died in Sonic 2 and he reconstructed his body inside a robot or something like that...

My nephew will add to this list, he though Jet was a hedgehog (I don't blame him) and he also though Mecha Sonic was Sonic's father (wich is a weird theory considering I never showed him anything archie-related)

I also used to believe Eggrobo was Eggman... my plot was that he almost died in Sonic 2 and he reconstructed his body inside a robot or something like that...

I used to think something similar, because of the "secret" scene after the credits of S3&K where the Eggrobo comes up from the wreckage. It only happened after you got the Doomsday Zone, so I thought it was a "to be continued..." screen, and Eggman turned into a robot. I still don't know what that scene is about.

When I was real little I didn't know that you could replenish your air in Sonic 2 with the bubbles. Needless to say that made me bad at water levels, and if I ever heard a sound like the drowning sound I used to tense up.

I used to think something similar, because of the "secret" scene after the credits of S3&K where the Eggrobo comes up from the wreckage. It only happened after you got the Doomsday Zone, so I thought it was a "to be continued..." screen, and Eggman turned into a robot. I still don't know what that scene is about.

I kinda thought something similar to you and imarafan. Back when I first faced the boss at the end Mushroom Hill Act 2 in Sonic & Knuckles, I thought that Eggrobo was just Eggman wearing a robot mask.

Spent like, an hour or so trying to unlock Sonic and Tails in Melee when that GameInformer hoax was put up.

I fell for this hook, line, and sinker!!! I remember telling people and they all thought I was crazy, too bad they were right...

My n00b moment in sonic fandom is when i though Sonic 06 was good untill i found all the glitches and terrible story

No; actually, your "n00b moments" while in the Sonic Fandom are as follows:

1. Using a lower case "S" at the start of Sonic's name.

2. Using a lower case "I" when referring to yourself.

3. Spelling the word "until" wrong.

4. Not ending your sentence correctly; a full stop wouldn't go amiss.

5. Failing to use an apostrophe when referring to Sonic '06 (it's an abbreviation of 2006).

Additionally, I fail to see how the game that you criticised was bad; not only were its glitches excusably small (to this day, I've never had a single death in Sonic '06 that was due to a bug), but its emotional, highly involving and often epic storyline only served to maximise the fun that I got out of it. Personally, I found Sonic '06 to be a truly underrated classic; though it's far from the exceptionally high standards of the two Adventure titles (which, might I add, are the two greatest games of all time), it still provides a wholly enjoyable platforming experience for anyone who can see past the thin layer of minor niggles that disguise its undeniable beauty.

Plus, I think that you're criticising the game just to keep in step with what everyone else says about it, and are merely regressing to the norm so as to maximise your group of friends. The arguments that you put forward (storyline and glitches) are the two most overused and clichéd arguments against Sonic '06, so I really think that you should try slightly harder when bashing what is clearly and obviously a wonderful game.

:P

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 6