Awoo.

n00b moments in Sonic fandom

Rally the Cheetah

No; actually, your "n00b moments" while in the Sonic Fandom are as follows:

1. Using a lower case "S" at the start of Sonic's name.

2. Using a lower case "I" when referring to yourself.

3. Spelling the word "until" wrong.

4. Not ending your sentence correctly; a full stop wouldn't go amiss.

5. Failing to use an apostrophe when referring to Sonic '06 (it's an abbreviation of 2006).

Additionally, I fail to see how the game that you criticised was bad; not only were its glitches excusably small (to this day, I've never had a single death in Sonic '06 that was due to a bug), but its emotional, highly involving and often epic storyline only served to maximise the fun that I got out of it. Personally, I found Sonic '06 to be a truly underrated classic; though it's far from the exceptionally high standards of the two Adventure titles (which, might I add, are the two greatest games of all time), it still provides a wholly enjoyable platforming experience for anyone who can see past the thin layer of minor niggles that disguise its undeniable beauty.

Plus, I think that you're criticising the game just to keep in step with what everyone else says about it, and are merely regressing to the norm so as to maximise your group of friends. The arguments that you put forward (storyline and glitches) are the two most overused and clichéd arguments against Sonic '06, so I really think that you should try slightly harder when bashing what is clearly and obviously a wonderful game.

:P

*maximize

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 2

No, maximise is correct in British English.

But this is petty. Stop it, all of you =P

• Thumbs Up 2

No, maximise is correct in British English.

But this is petty. Stop it, all of you =P

Ah, right. The color-colour thing. My bad.

* maximize

Maximize, maximise... Both appear to be correct on the Google Chrome spell-checker!

Edited by Extaticus

Additionally, I fail to see how the game that you criticised was bad; not only were its glitches excusably small (to this day, I've never had a single death in Sonic '06 that was due to a bug), but its emotional, highly involving and often epic storyline only served to maximise the fun that I got out of it. Personally, I found Sonic '06 to be a truly underrated classic; though it's far from the exceptionally high standards of the two Adventure titles (which, might I add, are the two greatest games of all time), it still provides a wholly enjoyable platforming experience for anyone who can see past the thin layer of minor niggles that disguise its undeniable beauty.

You can't defend this game by lack of glitches, when it has them in heaps. It's an obvious beta. This is a platforming game and physics simply do not exist. Everything else I suppose it's taste, but this... this is inexcusable, especially in a Sonic game. It was already bad when loops got scripted.

• Thumbs Up 1

*epic post of ass kickery*

Okay, it is scary how alike we think. Seriously, are you my clone?

The only thing I'd disagree with is that at least one glitch is inexcusable: getting stuck on walls while climbing. And I have died because of glitches before (a spring not sending me where I needed to go in White Acropolis, falling down and dying for no reason when sliding across the water in the first level). But unlike Sonic Heroes, you don't get powered down when this happens, so it isn't really annoying.

Edited by Legendary Emerald
  • Thumbs Up 1

I never died once in Heroes, Shadow or '06 due to glitches. Are you sure you guys don't just suck?

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 3

I never died once in Heroes, Shadow or '06 due to glitches. Are you sure you guys don't just suck?

Yes, of course. Everyone who is complaining is terrible at games. The way that spring completely failed to launch me where it was supposed to, regardless of whether or not I was pressing anything, was totally my fault. The way I fell through that corner when I ran into it, yeah, I should know not to expect solid objects to be solid. Trying to switch rails? Well surely it was my lack of skill that caused Sonic not to stick to the next rail, not the fact that the game simply throws you sideways and hopes it works. And the time I died by switching formation after getting hit, well, obviously I can't blame the game for not properly transferring the mercy invincibility and leaving me in the middle of the enemy with no rings, right? That'd just be silly.
  • Thumbs Up 5

Well I must have had an exceptionally lucky time because the only one of those things that ever happened to me was the not being able to jump on rails...meh who knows, maybe it's that my eratic play style compensates for the glitches, or I just don't notice them because I'm very easy to please.

You can't defend this game by lack of glitches, when it has them in heaps. It's an obvious beta. This is a platforming game and physics simply do not exist. Everything else I suppose it's taste, but this... this is inexcusable, especially in a Sonic game. It was already bad when loops got scripted.

Did he die because of this glitch? No. Did he stumble across it by accident, or was he deliberately looking for bugs with which he could make a funny YouTube video? I think you'll find that the answer falls firmly in the latter. Did I say that the game was glitch-free? No; I only said that none of its faults were serious enough to make it non-enjoyable.

And I really don't see how being able to walk round a loop-de-loop makes Sonic '06 any less fun.

Kudos for finding such a hilarious video, though; anyone who hasn't watched it yet should definitely give it a whirl!

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm inclined to agree with Jack when it comes to the concept of "luckiness". I never had any issues with Sonic Heroes, Shadow the Hedgehog, or even the infamous Sonic the Hedgehog. Perhaps I just own magical glitch-free disks!

As for the topic at hand, the mysterious "K-T-E" wasn't the only perplexity that confused me as a youngster - I was completely boggled by all the different robotic Sonic doppelgangers Eggman had constructed throughout the earlier games, and hadn't the slightest clue whether or not all the various forms were the same characters or not. Needless to say, my mind was completely blown to bits when I found out that out of the six or so forms shown of them, they were only two robots.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Bad Quality Post 1

In Sonic and Knuckles I had several noob moments with the bosses/mini bosses.

I thought Robotnik was Egg-robo in some synthetic Terminator skin because one time I somehow glitched the game and caused the Mushroom Hill boss to flicker between the Robotnik and Egg-robo sprites. I just thought I found some super hidden secret.

I was paranoid of opening Egg capsules after my first encounter with the Flying Battery zone's enemies capsules and mini boss.

I spent a half hour smacking the Sandopolis zone mini boss in the face before I noticed the quicksand.

I thought the Lava Reef zone mini boss was a giant T-1000 that would eventually rise out the lava and kill you (that was as far as I got as a kid).

I also thought the lock-on would work with any game causing the characters to switch games. I still remember trying it with NBA Jam expecting to play as Charles Barkley in Flying Battery Zone and 2 on 2 with Sonic/Knuckles vs Robotnik/Egg-robo.

When I first played SA 1 I thought the green aura surrounding the special items was a force field that I had to deactivate. I spent like a day trying to find a machine or switch somewhere instead of just getting the damn Light Speed Shoes.

Did he die because of this glitch? No. Did he stumble across it by accident, or was he deliberately looking for bugs with which he could make a funny YouTube video?

While I will admit, though I've never played it, the game at least looks like most glitches don't occur during normal play, but the fact that there are such insane glitches and programming errors in this day and age of gaming is inexcusable. And the controls look pretty damn horrible.

Edited by Black Spy
  • Thumbs Up 1

When I first rented Sonic and Knuckles, I spent a lot of time with it locked on to Sonic 2 since I really sucked at Flying Battery. But then when I tried to play Sonic 2 WITHOUT the S&K cartridge, the game was somehow stuck on Knuckles mode! I don't even know how this was possible. I remember watching someone else play it then and try to beat it as normal, without climbing walls or gliding, but they couldn't jump high enough to get over a platform in the fourth zone. To this day I still don't know how that happened, considering all the data for Knuckles is contained in the S&K cartridge. Anyone have an explanation for that?

Well that's weird as shit.

Assuming it isn't just faulty human memory at work, the only thing I could think of would be if you switched from S2&K to S2 without turning the console off. Maybe the console would still keep the data for Knuckles in memory, the same way it keeps the "level select activated" variable for the cartridge swap trick to get Sonic 3's level select.

Well that's weird as shit.

Assuming it isn't just faulty human memory at work, the only thing I could think of would be if you switched from S2&K to S2 without turning the console off. Maybe the console would still keep the data for Knuckles in memory, the same way it keeps the "level select activated" variable for the cartridge swap trick to get Sonic 3's level select.

Hmm, maybe I did take the game out improperly. Anyways, my memory definitely isn't at fault, because I was already in middle school when this happened. My memory is near fool-proof when it comes to Sonic, ha ha. And besides, I've remembered this forever, just like the fake plot information for Sonic Adventure 3 and 4 that I retold a few pages ago in this thread.

Oh, I've had many n00b moments....

1. Being one of those nasty Shadow fangirls. (fear not, that only lasted about 6 months and I haven't liked him since)

2. Having the chance to buy Sonic Heroes in 2006 and deciding I'd rather go find a copy of ShTH, thanks to the above reason.

3. Saving up for an Xbox 360.....just to play Sonic '06.

4. When I first became a Sonic fan (I'd played a little bit of the classics as a kid but didn't get into the series until 2006 with no knowledge of pretty much anything) and watching my friend (who introduced me into the series proper) drawing Sonic and having to ask if it was Sonic or Shadow because I couldn't tell the difference.

5. Asking the same friend "....who's Tikal? Is she your fancharacter?"

6. Creating a crappy fancharacter of my own (Rouge's evil twin, ugh, how I shudder)

7. Neo Sonic Universe being my first post-classic Sonic gaming experience (though it is a pretty good fangame)

8. Going backwards through all the Sonic games post-1994 felt kinda dumb.

...And that's about all my really terrible ones. How horrible it is to look back on the times when you were young and stupid >_<

While I will admit, though I've never played it, the game at least looks like most glitches don't occur during normal play, but the fact that there are such insane glitches and programming errors in this day and age of gaming is inexcusable. And the controls look pretty damn horrible.

Nah. I'm someone who hardly experiences glitches in Adventure, and in the short time I had Sonic 06, it gliched all the time. That loop.... that loop pisses me off. As those steep incline things. That reminds me, Tails is so glitchy. He can't fly over a certain altitude, because he hits the level's "ceiling" and all controls are thrown into the wind. He also goes up those steep inclines for no good reason. It's true that the amigo characters are worse than the regular hedgehogs, but that's not by much.

I also thought the lock-on would work with any game causing the characters to switch games. I still remember trying it with NBA Jam expecting to play as Charles Barkley in Flying Battery Zone and 2 on 2 with Sonic/Knuckles vs Robotnik/Egg-robo.

You don't know how much I laughed reading that. Not in a bad way of course, it's just funny. xD

Sadly I couldn't have done the same because apart of my first contact with S&K being with a friend's game, I only got it many years later through Sonic Jam, given by Vasco, so I couldn't combine games at will with the Lock-On system. :P

Edited by MickX

Im not sure if i should count this as a "n00b" moment, but one thing that i can look back at an feel ashamed of is that for a time (from around 2003 to about 2005, i think) i went through a phase of being one of those militant "Sega Sonic purists". I dont think i was ever actually rude to anybody, but i would always point of whenever i got the opportunity how the Western versions of Sonic were "untrue" and how the Sonic fanbase would be a much a happier place if everyone in it could just forget all about Mobius and Chilli-dogs (this was before chilli-dogs became part of the game canon, of course).

But yeah, in retrospective, this isn't exactly something im proud of, especially considering that it was that old "untrue" version of Sonic that was the version of Sonic (like, the only version) as far as i knew back when i was i child.

Edited by batson

Thinking that Sonic & Knuckles was the key to play as Sonic in Super Mario World. How dissapointed I was when I "tried" to fuse 'em. XD

Can't remember any, maybe when I was a kid.

P.S. Did anyone notice most of members here (on this topic) started playing Sonic games while 3D, and played 2D games after playing 3D games xD?

• 3 weeks later...

I felt very n00bish last night.

I was playing Sonic 2, and after years of playing the game just noticed that the green stuff/foreground in Mystic Cave weren't trees -_-'. Seriously, how stupid am I?

I was always confused why there were trees in a cave level >_>

Plus, I think that you're criticising the game just to keep in step with what everyone else says about it, and are merely regressing to the norm so as to maximise your group of friends. The arguments that you put forward (storyline and glitches) are the two most overused and clichéd arguments against Sonic '06, so I really think that you should try slightly harder when bashing what is clearly and obviously a wonderful game.

:P