Awoo.

What Will You Do if Needlemouse Is Amazing?

Legendary Emerald

Then I'll honestly fall to my knees, and shout to my tv screen that Sonic is friggin back.

But... That depends on which console it's on of course. Even then, I'll celebrate somehow.... But SEGA impressing me is the last thing I'd expect right about now, to be honest.

if it comes out for wii or PC and it is a good game.....I probably won't star in the next gamefly commercial...lol

• Thumbs Up 1

But SEGA impressing me is the last thing I'd expect right about now, to be honest.

Sega gave me Val. Chronicles and Platinum Studios, they earn a pass from me for the time being :lol:.

If it is amazing, than I will commend Sonic Team for showing me that they can sustain the quality I saw in their previous title. Hopefully it will restore a bit of faith in that dev team.

I will also devote one of my games shelves to Sega titles, unfortunately if Needlemouse is PSN than it cant make a dent up there..... that's why I like boxes...

Also I'd be preparing for the inevitable deluge of "I told you so"s from the stubborn oldschool fans, and an even harsher attitude towards modern Sonic and new ideas. Yeah, even a spectacular game isn't going to fix this fanbase...

That'll just give me another thing to laugh at: Their ignorance and or stupidity. :lol:

If Needlemouse is amazing, it'll be a step up for Sonic games. They can use it to learn how to make better games in the future, and keep from making some of the mistakes they did in the past.

Of course if it succeeds, there will be folks rubbing it in "with they I told you so", but I'm prepared for it. ;)

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

No it isn't. Why would you try to get my hopes up like that?

You all know the Cycle, people. You all know it NEVER lies. So don't entertain such optimistic speculation. You know it's for naught.

The Sonic Cycle is a patterned observation that became a heralded truth due to a disregard of tertiary factors. Even if all the Sonic games since... whatever the start was were bad, they're still very different and created for different purposes and circumstances. Saying Needlemouse will be bad based solely on the Sonic cycle is like saying that every 44 US presidents will be half-black based on previous outcomes.

I'd be kind of pissed off that I can't play it, since I only own a Wii (as chances are there won't be a Wii version).

Also I'd be preparing for the inevitable deluge of "I told you so"s from the stubborn oldschool fans, and an even harsher attitude towards modern Sonic and new ideas.

Sonic Team is free to do whatever it likes, if it can prove that it still has the talent onboard to create what ought to be a de-facto inter-3D fallback in 2D Sonic. Use it as a springboard - if the world hates your new 3D game, get to work on a decent 2D one (free of shit like boosts and voices and rawk) to prove Sonic's still got it and raise your company and mascot's rep some before getting to work on another different project. It's like... it keeps the seat warm until the day comes, if it does, when a truly all-round awesome 3D Sonic hits our screens and becomes the default type of Sonic game until people get bored of it. And if people love your new 3D game, keep bringing out 2D ones anyway to keep the love flowing from all quarters. 2D games don't require teams as huge as 3D ones either, do they? Which means a contingent of devs can be put on a new 3D project, development of which goes into full throttle when the 2D games hits. That gives the game a longer time in development where ideas can be thought out more thoroughly and so on.

Why only cater to the 3D group when, if you spend time between 3D games on developing old school 2D ones, you can at least make an effort to regain the attention of all those fans of your early works who don't today pay any attention to you.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Sonic Team is free to do whatever it likes, if it can prove that it still has the talent onboard to create what ought to be a de-facto inter-3D fallback in 2D Sonic. Use it as a springboard - if the world hates your new 3D game, get to work on a decent 2D one (free of shit like boosts and voices and rawk) to prove Sonic's still got it and raise your company and mascot's rep some before getting to work on another different project. It's like... it keeps the seat warm until the day comes, if it does, when a truly all-round awesome 3D Sonic hits our screens and becomes the default type of Sonic game until people get bored of it. And if people love your new 3D game, keep bringing out 2D ones anyway to keep the love flowing from all quarters.

Why only cater to the 3D group when, if you spend time between 3D games on developing old school 2D ones, you can at least make an effort to regain the attention of all those fans of your early works who don't today pay any attention to you.

2D =/= Auto good game.

But going by your logic, while it will keep his rep afloat, by the time a 3D game did come out, no one would be willing to go back to a 3D title and the point will still stand that the 3D games still suck. Also, making a bunch of 2D games isn't going to make a 3D game suddenly jump out of the devs studios to grace the gaming world.

As for me, if the games good:

Mission 1 (Make a Great Game) COMPLETE!!! *mission clear theme*

Mission 2 (repeat Mission 1) Reward: Praise

Mission 3 (repeat Mission 2) Reward: Praise

Mission 4 (repeat Mission 3) Reward: Praise

Mission 5(repeat Mission 4 d245777abca64ece2d5d7ca0d19fddb6.png) Reward: Sonic is back.

Edited by Black Spy

Sonic Team is free to do whatever it likes, if it can prove that it still has the talent onboard to create what ought to be a de-facto inter-3D fallback in 2D Sonic. Use it as a springboard - if the world hates your new 3D game, get to work on a decent 2D one (free of shit like boosts and voices and rawk) to prove Sonic's still got it and raise your company and mascot's rep some before getting to work on another different project. It's like... it keeps the seat warm until the day comes, if it does, when a truly all-round awesome 3D Sonic hits our screens and becomes the default type of Sonic game until people get bored of it. And if people love your new 3D game, keep bringing out 2D ones anyway to keep the love flowing from all quarters. 2D games don't require teams as huge as 3D ones either, do they? Which means a contingent of devs can be put on a new 3D project, development of which goes into full throttle when the 2D games hits. That gives the game a longer time in development where ideas can be thought out more thoroughly and so on.

I got a question for ya.

What in the hell was in that comment that you felt needed to be addressed to Diogenes? It's not like he was saying that all Classic fans were stubborn, just the ones who are indeed stubborn.

• Thumbs Up 2

I got a question for ya.

What in the hell was in that comment that you felt needed to be addressed to Diogenes? It's not like he was saying that all Classic fans were stubborn, just the ones who are indeed stubborn.

People are only harsh toward new ideas because so far they've all been implemented atrociously. May as well go back to what actually works for a change between those new ideas, to keep Sonic afloat, rather than continuing to degrade his and Sonic Team's reputation through more 3D punishment.

2D =/= Auto good game.

It's more likely to be if they go back to the last great 2D home console Sonic and work back up from there.

But going by your logic, while it will keep his rep afloat, by the time a 3D game did come out, no one would be willing to go back to a 3D title and the point will still stand that the 3D games still suck. Also, making a bunch of 2D games isn't going to make a 3D game suddenly jump out of the devs studios to grace the gaming world.

No it won't, but it will give the team(s) they have working in the background on new 3D projects more time to get things right for a change. Look at how long Nintendo puts its star games in development for, look at the quality of their output, surely Sonic would benefit from similarly lavish treatment?

• Thumbs Up 1

Seriously, what will I do? Probably play it to death and call it the new classic, be glad to have a Sonic renaissance, then kick back and wait for the 20th anniversary game which at that point would be my new hope for getting the 3D series on its way to greatness. It's not too different from what I do if the game sucks.

Okay, stop making these posts.

Yes boss. :mellow:

And please no one commit seppuku by frisbee over a game. There is so much more to live for. Like the next game. And the one after that.

No it won't, but it will give the team(s) they have working in the background on new 3D projects more time to get things right for a change. Look at how long Nintendo puts its star games in development for, look at the quality of their output, surely Sonic would benefit from similarly lavish treatment?

Maybe it'll give them more time. I'm enjoying the idea of getting fine little projects like this in between main titles and spin-offs. How many things do they have going on at once now? Sega All-Stars, Mario & Sonic, downloadable Needlemouse, Storybook, main series, presumably handheld titles... I hope they started on the 20th anniversary Sonic as soon as Unleashed wrapped up, because that game needs a new concept and everything. I'll be expecting an epic production. But I think DogTagz is right when he says Sega deserves the credit on their published titles recently. Hopefully this new Sega quality reflects on Sonic Team too.

Edited by Cupcake Hedgehog

I'd be kind of pissed off that I can't play it, since I only own a Wii (as chances are there won't be a Wii version).

Also I'd be preparing for the inevitable deluge of "I told you so"s from the stubborn oldschool fans, and an even harsher attitude towards modern Sonic and new ideas. Yeah, even a spectacular game isn't going to fix this fanbase...

While the term "New Ideas" technically describes what has happened to the franchise*, I don't think it is the best way to describe it.

*aside from the things they copied from other games and whatnot, such as NiGHTS, God of War, Panzer Dragoon, Goldeneye, and Gundam.

I cant seem to understand the "i hope its gonna suck so we can laugh at them old school fans" attitude.

Come on guys, your really making a fool out of yourselves. Why dont we just want the game to be good and enjoy it.

Sometimes i think it's not about the games anymore but about personal trauma's in the fanbase lol.

Look at all the games that have come out lately. We just asked for one game, one simple game. Of course there are going to be fans that will say "I told you so". But why should that be a bad thing. Why would I be mad if a 3d game tursn about to be great and someone tells me i told you so. All the better for me as a sonicfan right so i can enjoy another great sonic game.

You shouldn't care about the community, care about what your going to spend your money on when its coming out.

This is some weird fanbase

This is some weird fanbase

Weird is an understatement.

Seriously, why hope for a game to fail (or succeed) for such a trivial purpose? I mean, not only will it create stronger tensions, but does it not seem hypocritical to try to rub this in the elitists' faces just so they don't rub their shit in yours?

I'm reminded of how some of our conservative pundits started saying, or at least implying, that they want Obama to fail. Considering his role, this is essentially saying they want health care to fail, the war on terror to fail, the economy to fail (even more), etc. All for what? Spiting dissenting parties?

I mean, what is up with this "I told you so" bullshit? Fighting fire with fire just makes a bigger fire, and that's the last thing this fan base needs.

Edited by SuperStingray

Weird is an understatement.

Seriously, why hope for a game to fail (or succeed) for such a trivial purpose? I mean, not only will it create stronger tensions, but does it not seem hypocritical to try to rub this in the elitists' faces just so they don't rub their shit in yours?

I'm reminded of how some of our conservative pundits started saying, or at least implying, that they want Obama to fail. Considering his role, this is essentially saying they want health care to fail, the war on terror to fail, the economy to fail (even more), etc. All for what? Spiting dissenting parties?

I mean, what is up with this "I told you so" bullshit? Fighting fire with fire just makes a bigger fire, and that's the last thing this fan base needs.

Yea precisely.

I cant understand how you can place the thoughts or reactions of other people above a game you might enjoy.

Edited by Jaouad

I cant seem to understand the "i hope its gonna suck so we can laugh at them old school fans" attitude.
I think you'll be hard pressed to find anyone that is fully devoted to this game failing just so they can stick it to the stubborn oldschoolers. And if somehow you do, that's not what most of us want.

It's just a part, a fragment, a little voice in the back of our heads saying, "maybe this time they'll get what's coming to them. Maybe they'll see things our way. Maybe we can get rid of this bullshit". I feel safe in saying the vast majority do want the game to be successful, and most will be satisfied if this is "Sonic 4". But after all the bullshit, it's not something we can put 100% of ourselves into. There's always that little voice.

And I don't believe it's something exclusive to this side. I'm sure that there are people who looked at games like ShtH and SatBK, expected them to fail, and hoped Sega would learn their lesson from it. They may not have explicitly said "I want this game to fail", but I doubt they'd be too happy if they were wildly successful and ended up becoming the norm for the series.

I mean, what is up with this "I told you so" bullshit?
It's a bit more than just childish bullying (though I don't deny, after all this back-and-forth, it'd be nice to have something solid to shove in their faces). It's about having proof. Taking it out of just hypotheticals, away from just nerds arguing online, and being able to say, "here is the proof, your argument is wrong". Part of the problem with these arguments is that it's very difficult to prove anything, in part because of how few "experiments" (games) we have and how little control we have over them. Oldschool fans have always been able to fall back on the Genesis games because they worked, and that argument's been twisted in all sorts of directions since its creation. With this game supposedly being a return to the classics, maybe even the mythical "Sonic 4", if it does fail, it could put a significant dent in some of those twisted arguments.
  • Thumbs Up 1

You know, with all the available means of making custom Sonic levels, you could have just tried to make a level that adheres to the classic model but isn't any good. Of course, meeting both of those conditions won't be easy.

*sigh*...

Anyway, if it's amazing, I'll just play it and enjoy it. Like I do with every other game I think is good/amazing.

I purposefully said that to mess with Dio. seriously though if it is really great you can't help but think about how when they go back to 2D it is all of a sudden highly praised.

Edited by Kiljoy

I guess I can understand that "little voice", but I'd rather the "I told you so" come in a positive way; Wouldn't it be better for not only for the franchise but for the community in the long run to see a 3D Sonic title that does work rather than a 2D one that doesn't? It's just as easy to interpret "Needlemouse sucks" as "new Sonic games will always suck" as "Sonic games don't have to be 3D and gimmicky to suck," but it's much easier to interpret a well enough made Sonic game in the modern vein could make [most of] us leave the Sonic cycle behind for good. Besides, the reception of the GBA port of Sonic 1 may be evidence enough that a shoddily made title in a classic vein won't make any difference to their convictions.

Edited by SuperStingray

Absolutely nothing. I've found some enjoyment in just about every game but Secret Rings. Besides, it doesn't get to be amazing unless it has an in level Super Sonic.

If it's absolutely Earth-shatteringly amazing (or even just 'very good'), it'll probably up my chances of getting a 360 in order to play it. Well, that and the HD version of Unleashed and Sonic 06.

Hopefully I'll be able to bring up Sonic in conversation with my gamer friends without feeling vaguely embarrassed about it. Nobody gives me any crap for being a fan, but I'm a fairly self-conscious guy. Any street cred for the blue blur would make me feel rather better.

Oh, and I'll play it and enjoy it, presumably. Any good game is a cause for celebration, classic-style or otherwise.

I don't think it'll be amazing, but from these rumours I do admit it finally seems like there's a chance for it to ALMOST MAYBE be as good as the MegaDrive games.

So what will I do if it is amazing? Well I don't think my mouth is big enough to fit an entire hat inside, but you can be sure I'll be atleast chewing my hat.

This I promise you. As long as I'm not too awestruck by the game that I forget to chew my hat.

2D or 3D, I'm okay with either.

What I want is for Sonic to go go back to a lighthearted and cartoonish presentation, and get away from grim angsty dark characterization. Needlemouse, if it's anything like the bouncy and colorful classics, will hopefully do just that. We may even get Eggman as the main antagonist, which I say would also be pretty cool.

For me, it's less about being a classic fan and more about being a fan of the lighter and softer take on the Sonic franchise; i.e. much like the older games just happened to be.