Awoo.

Project Natal

Matriculated

We all know SEGA is usually one of the first companies to start developing titles for new platforms/peripherals. And as their mascot, Sonic is usually at the forefront of it all. I'm just wondering if Sonic would work on Natal. Ports of SatSR, SatBK, and SEGA Superstars are the laziest and least exciting things that could happen. An original title would be better but of course it's limited by what Natal can ACTUALLY do (it could still end up being gimmick only good for "waggle commands" after all).

So what do you think? What would be the best way to incorporate it? An on-rails game similar to the Storybook titles? A spin-off comprising of minigames (a new Sonic Shuffle?)? Or something else?

No just no if sonic goes on a natal styled game it would be terrible and everybody on ssmb and on the interwebs know it will be

What about Sony's PS3 motion controller?

I'm hoping they keep Sonic to the normal controllers, Sonic and the Secret Rings and Sonic and the Black Knight didn't feel very well suited to the Wii Remote but I do admire SEGA/Sonic Team for trying something new.

I really don't see much good coming from Sonic and motion control. If they are going to use it I'd rather it be like Mario, which works it into some small aspects of the gameplay while still keeping the vast majority of it a traditional button-controlled game, than to go full-on motion controls and try to work it into everything.

If anything I'd imagine they'd probably go the Secret Rings route first crack and make it an on-rails game. Thats just what I can picture anyway.

I could see Sonic with creative Natal controls. But we don't know how accurate the motion set up is until we get our hands on it. You could replace some basic controls with hand movements, like flick at Sonic to spin dash, lift your wrist to jump, punch to homing and so on. But you can do that with a controller, so...

Project natal is a stupid idea that will not work for gaming. Seriously if there is one thing i liked about nintendo's wii is that the new wii controller is pretty well made and it works. Games like metroid prime or mario galaxy really give you a great experience and the wii mote only adds on to that.

I don't like the idea of using your body to control... it just dont feel right, or maybe the world's not ready for it yet.

Im still skeptical but who knows, it might end up working great

Edited by Jaouad

Something like this...

Sega_Superstars_Coverart.png

My thoughts exactly. Wouldn't be surprised to see a re-release either, seeing as Natal is simply a big budget eye-toy.

I have not been impressed with what I have heard from Natal, but I still leave room to be amazed by good ideas. That being said, I do not expect anything special out of Sonic on this new peripheral. What might work great would be some kind of pet interactions like Nintendogs or Seamen (who named that one?). Natal would be perfect for that.

Give me my Natal Chao raising sim and I will be on-board 100%.

Same goes for Sony's magic wand. Without some outside of the box thinking, it'll just lead to Wii-esc waggle fests.

Something like this...

Sega_Superstars_Coverart.png

Fully agree, Natal is nothing but Eye Toy with a bigger budget to me. Eh, as for a Sonic game, I don't see it working to well either. You'd be just moving your hands around and about to move Sonic and whatnot, and just sounds like something you'll wear yourself out in a matter of minutes, not to mention that motion capture may not be accurate. Also, if gameplay pretty much use hand movements, you could do just the same on the Wiimote and a controller so I don't see what so special about it. It is just a gimmick with novelty that will probably wear off as fast as the Wiimote anyways.

Okay, call me seriously out of the loop, but after seeing it mentioned in that other Nintendo topic, I can't help but be inclined to ask...

...just what the hell is Natal? This is the first I've heard of it. D=

Okay, call me seriously out of the loop, but after seeing it mentioned in that other Nintendo topic, I can't help but be inclined to ask...

...just what the hell is Natal? This is the first I've heard of it. D=

Here's a trailer from last years E3 -

Tech demo -

Milo -

Tech demo -

Lol, I just watched that part with "You ever wonder what the bottom of an avatar's shoe looks like? WELL BAM! There it is."

I don't like the idea of Natal because there's no feedback AT all. I'm not even talking rumble pack here, I want to feel in control by having a physical object to pretend is a steering wheel/sword/dildo/whatever.

Though since someone mentioned the motion control on PS3, I was just thinking how (if it worked perfectly) flicking the controller left and right would have been nice for quickstep/rail-switching in Unleashed.

A sequel, perhaps?

It'd make a cool tool for a Monkey Ball game.

First time I've seen that trailer XD

I never had a PS2 so I couldn't get that game, I only had a Gamecube and Dreamcast last gen. I've got a PS2 now so I could always track down a pre-owned copy sometime, it looks quite fun.

I don't like the idea of Natal because there's no feedback AT all. I'm not even talking rumble pack here, I want to feel in control by having a physical object to pretend is a steering wheel/sword/dildo/whatever.

I feel like I'd have a similar problem. I even have trouble with touch screens when I'm not using a stylus... I just feel uncomfortable pressing down where my mind expects there to be a button.

Anyway, this whole thing reminds me of Sonic DS to a degree... it'd make a cute tech demo, but I'm not sure about an entire game based on the technology.

If a Sonic game was released for Natal, most people would be out of breath half the time from all the running (in place) that would be needed to play the game, especially the extra effort that they'd need to put in for loops.

If a Sonic game was released for Natal, most people would be out of breath half the time from all the running (in place) that would be needed to play the game, especially the extra effort that they'd need to put in for loops.

It could be Wii Fit without the "casual gamer" tagline.

goldmine

I can only imagine a SSS or a Chao Garden. I'd love to raise a Chao, though.

seaman.jpg

Seaman + Natal.

Even creepier, since he can actually see you.

You know you want it.

That would be awesome. The first one was already great. I remember him telling me and my brother our mom's name was stupid or weird. It worked much better than "Hey You Pikachu!". There I kept saying Playstation and stupid, because in magazines said he'd get angry, but he never did :-/ I guess I'm just too lovable :o

Edited by MarcelloF