Awoo.

The Sonic Show #49: Top 5 Biggest Assholes

Slingerland

49image.gif

The Sonic Show Presents: The Top 5 Biggest Assholes

We counted down the top 5 winter levels for Christmas, but now... we're looking at the most frustrating levels, badniks, and objects that can be deemed "the biggest asshole ever." Who will win?

Visit The Sonic Show here in the TSS Network. Watch it.

What are your top 5 biggest assholes? I know that there are plenty more.

• Thumbs Up 2

I completed the barrel on my first time, with no frustration at all. You need a better entry at #1 :P

Even if I wasn't a fan of the character, I would still say that the Shadow one was kind of weak in explaination. I don't simply "sucking" is a good explanation anymore.

Aside from that, the Barrel one was funny as hell and certainly deserved the number one spot. Metropolis was an absolute bitch, and the three types of enemies were just a pain. Skorp...I always jumped COMPLETELY over him before attacking him, so I'm not one to think he was that much of a pain. And Knuckles was pretty underwhelming when you fought him.

I completed the barrel on my first time, with no frustration at all. You need a better entry at #1 :P

Maybe you did, but at least half the community would beg to differ.

Maybe you did, but at least half the community would beg to differ.

Half? More like the absolute majority. Most of us were either kids or young teens and really, how the hell is pressing up and down in a timed fashion suppose to come to anyone's mind on that ONE part of the game?

Even if I wasn't a fan of the character, I would still say that the Shadow one was kind of weak in explaination. I don't simply "sucking" is a good explanation anymore.

So, "not staying dead" isn't a good enough explanation? The whole #5 is a joke anyway. I mean... 7th Chaos Emerald? Wuuut.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Half? More like the absolute majority. Most of us were either kids or young teens and really, how the hell is pressing up and down in a timed fashion suppose to come to anyone's mind on that ONE part of the game?

Oh god that was annoying, took me so long to learn it, stupid game design.

Ha ha ha, nicely done. I didn't have much trouble with that barrel, but when you smacked that cigarette down I LOLed. Metropolis was true.

Lots of classic representation here, nothing wrong with that. But I'd include some recent assholes on the list over guys like Skorp.

Knuckles' punch-you-off-a-cliff in Sonic Heroes. What the hell is this. Since enemies take so many hits to kill, you're probably gonna be punching around with Knuckles a lot. Too bad he seems to change direction when he damn well feels like it, and his punches shake you a considerable distance to the side. Couple this with each level's suspended-over-a-pit syndrome and Knuckles will kill you a lot. There's no ledge cushion in this game either (like a way to catch yourself) so you'll go sailing straight into the abyss. Sonic's slide move also needs mention for doing the same thing, but you don't need it as often as Knuckles since it sucks.

Big's large fish. I had trouble with the big fishes in SA1. All I want to do is unlock the Metal Sonic skin in DX. The fish are impossible to catch without upgrades first, which you might have never guessed existed since there's four of them. Then you have to find the fish (the ones in Icecap eluded me for a while) and wrestle them onto land to the FISH HITS music, which I hope you like. And Chao are also nothing but obstacles to 100% completion if you don't like raising them.

I guess I'm out of newer examples. Running sections from Sonic '06? The DINO EGG mission from Secret Rings was terrible. Eggmanland, but I've never played it.

Here's an old one. The floor crab thing from the 8-bit Sonic 2. This thing causes so many people to give up on the game before they even get started. It's the boss on the first level and it's still more likely to kill me than the final boss. With the erratic bomb patterns bouncing off the Game Gear screen (hear it's easier on the Master System with the resolution) and the uphill struggle. You're caught between chopping pincers and a slow climb up an incline with death raining down on you. Crab boss is cruel. And right when you think you're doing well, you're ready for the next bomb, here comes Robotnik sliding down to crush you! CRUEL.

Edited by Cupcake Hedgehog
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ha ha ha, nicely done. I didn't have much trouble with that barrel, but when you smacked that cigarette down I LOLed.

Helping someone stop smoking is not being an asshole.

• Thumbs Up 1

So, "not staying dead" isn't a good enough explanation?

No, not even that. Him simply not dying isn't any sort of flaw at all, and a weak mention compared to everything else you brought up.

If you had mentioned a character flaw on Shadow, I wouldn't have said anything about it. It's not like I'm complaining that he was on the list, just that the explaination was weak.

The whole #5 is a joke anyway. I mean... 7th Chaos Emerald? Wuuut.

Yeah, I know. I could tell when you used the special stage from Sonic 1 to explain it. Doesn't take a genius to know that there were only six Chaos Emeralds in that game.

Oh god that was annoying, took me so long to learn it, stupid game design.

It took me til last year to learn that trick. Before then I had to use Tails to jump up and down on it, and then spin dash through the opening.

Helping someone stop smoking is not being an asshole.

I think randomly coming up and knocking the cigarette out of his hand is kind of being an asshole, especially when they don't know each other. :lol:

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Here's an old one. The floor crab thing from the 8-bit Sonic 2. This thing causes so many people to give up on the game before they even get started. It's the boss on the first level and it's still more likely to kill me than the final boss. With the erratic bomb patterns bouncing off the Game Gear screen (hear it's easier on the Master System with the resolution) and the uphill struggle. You're caught between chopping pincers and a slow climb up an incline with death raining down on you. Crab boss is cruel. And right when you think you're doing well, you're ready for the next bomb, here comes Robotnik sliding down to crush you! CRUEL.

That right there cost me years of agony. After repeatedly having my balls curb-stomped into submission I literally had to set aside the game for about 4 years until my pure hatred for the boss spurred me to pick up the game again and throw down with the gaming prowess that comes with age.

The thing is hell for a boss, let alone the first boss in the game. It was absolutely relentless. The sad thing about it is that the baddie is actually blocking a pretty good game.

What I said on the site:

The one about Knuckles made me laugh the hardest, I didn’t even think of all the things he did to you in that game before watching this video. So when I saw him up there I was like whaaat? If anything he is more of an asshole now for falling asleep on his island and letting people take the damn master emerald time after time again. I mean, he is an even bigger dick because he goes on adventures and leaves the Master Emerald unnattended, if someone took it while the island was over a city…well fuck, there goes the city! THINK OF ALL THE INNOCENTS KNUCKLES COULD KILL.

I think that makes him a bigger asshole than anything he could have possibly done in Sonic 3&K.

I didn't check the forums first to see the posts on this lawl. Anyway, bigger assholes would have to be that one switch in Hydrocity Zone that has the spikes that come up on it. I always get hit there and its probably because I suck at life, but it pisses me off anyway. The switch I am talking about is underwater and then there is that belt thing that is above you and you need to get up there in order to get out of the water blah blah blah.

No, not even that. Him simply not dying isn't any sort of flaw at all, and a weak mention compared to everything else you brought up.

If you had mentioned a character flaw on Shadow, I wouldn't have said anything about it. It's not like I'm complaining that he was on the list, just that the explaination was weak.

OK, really? You were really expecting fair criticism from a bottom 5 that was complaining about an Emerald that doesn't even exist?

OK, really? You were really expecting fair criticism from a bottom 5 that was complaining about an Emerald that doesn't even exist?

Agreed. This whole video is a fuckin' joke. I can't believe that there are people that didn't get that one. Don't take everything so seriously.

I also can't believe that some people think that Marcus is a real person, too. Hahahaha...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

What are you talking about? I was expecting more than three sentences on why a character is an asshole.

Did you honestly not read past that first line you quoted?

Seriously. This whole video is a fuckin' joke. I can't believe that there are people that didn't get that one.

Buddy, I'm not taking it THAT seriously. Chill out.

All I was saying was that the the reasoning for Shadow being on the list was weak. Why can't people get that?

...I didn't know the whole thing was a joke tho. That's kind of hard to tell when some of the things on the list are actually pains in the ass. My mistake tho.

The explanation was supposed to be weak. It was a scramble to fill the 5th spot which was filled by a non-existant asshole.

You need to like... get it.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Agreed. This whole video is a fuckin' joke. I can't believe that there are people that didn't get that one. Don't take everything so seriously.

I also can't believe that some people think that Marcus is a real person, too. Hahahaha...

Wait...Marcus isn't real?

ಠ_ಠ

The explanation was supposed to be weak. It was a scramble to fill the 5th spot which was filled by a non-existant asshole.

You need to like... get it.

Well, I didn't like...get it...obviously. :rolleyes:

I thought I made that clear. That's why I said all that in the first place, because I didn't know it was a joke at all.

OK... when you see "7th chaos emerald in Sonic 1," does that not tip you off that something might be a joke? :lol:

OK... when you see "7th chaos emerald in Sonic 1," does that not tip you off that something might be a joke? :lol:

Not when you look at everything else after that. The barrel was pain, Metropolis was a pain, Skorp wasn't that much of a problem, but Knuckles was underwhelming.

It's kind of hard for me to see a joke when I agree with everything else, so I take it as I see it. I knew that the 7th Emerald in Sonic 1 was a joke, but that was it. Call me short-sighted, but I missed the whole joke after that. :lol:

EDIT: And then there was you quoting me after I spoke on the Shadow part followed by Phos quoting me soon afterwards. That only made me miss it further.

And even during the fight in hidden palace, I knew Knuckles was being even MORE of an asshole by not giving me the satisfaction of a good fight after all that crap he put me through.

EDIT: Oh yeah I forgot to mention that GODDAMN barrel and that GODDAMN zone. And the 7th emerald, where were you when I was losing all my lives on the final boss in sonic 1?

Edited by doc a doc

Metropolis Zone is so true. I recall there's one section where you have one of the tallest screws in the game, right next to a wall filled with those Asterons. Get knocked off, you have to run all the way left and back again so the bolt returns to the bottom. This also brings the Asteron back. And then, you finally get to the top, only for a fucking Slicer to knock you back down! Seriously, not fair.

Never had much problem with Skorp, just spindashed him all the time. The section where you have to race against risiing sands as Sonic on the other hand, espeically if those ghosts start attacking you...bastards.

Also, don't like the Flasher thingies in Mystic Cave. Always start flashing just after I've jumped.

I'm just glad that Carnival Night wasn't given much flak as a zone, just the barrel. I am of the opinion that Carnival Night is one of the best stages in Sonic 3&K, but that barrel is unintuitive.

The skorps are annoying, but Metropolis zone was the one that really got to me. Sandopolis is far too long though. There seems to be a correlation between desert stages in Sonic games and them being really boring or irritating to play through :/

I would have mentioned the Special Rings for Sonic Advance 2 though. I only completed the special stages with a guide =/

I very seldom have a hard time in Metropolis Zone mostly because I open my Sonic 2 ROM JUST to play Metropolis Zone. It's my favorite of all time, the apperance, the music, the ambiance... just awesome.

Out of all my time spent playing Sonic games over the last decade, the most annoying things to me (other than Blue Marine Act 2 in G-Sonic) are those stupid freakin' lobster badniks in Aqua Lake Zone in the 8-bit Sonic 2. That one part where you're using the bubble to rise and the little fuckers come right at you and 99.99% percent of the time, you're moving to slow too divert them. GOD I hate those things.

Edited by nUcLeArEnVoY

I knew the barrel was gonna be number one. Too bad that Carnival Night zone has one catchy song that no one will remember it for. Just the barrel. lol

Dark Gaia should had been there. He's one tough monster. I seriously had so many problems fighting him. It's hard to get the timing right to even punch the guy. And his 6 arm slash is a pain in the ass. I can never seem to dodge that. :/ Dark Gaia is so far the only Sonic final boss I haven't beaten yet. D: