Awoo.

The Sonic Show #49: Top 5 Biggest Assholes

Slingerland

I knew the barrel was gonna be number one. Too bad that Carnival Night zone has one catchy song that no one will remember it for. Just the barrel. lol

Dark Gaia should had been there. He's one tough monster. I seriously had so many problems fighting him. It's hard to get the timing right to even punch the guy. And his 6 arm slash is a pain in the ass. I can never seem to dodge that. :/ Dark Gaia is so far the only Sonic final boss I haven't beaten yet. D:

Dark Gaia was a pain in the cunt. I remember finally beating the last part of the battle, where you are Super Sonic and flying across that energy shield and getting the shit kicked out of you because you control like ass, and then when Sonic dove towards Perfect Gaia to deliver the cinematic final blow, the screen faded to white...

AND FUCKING FROZE.

The hardest boss I've ever faced in a Sonic game, and what happens when I beat him? The game gives me the finger and tells me to take it up the dick hole. God damn it, I was so pissed. Only reason I didn't throw my controller against the wall was that it cost as much for a PS3 controller as an actual game. I'd enjoyed some of Unleashed up to that point, but it had quickly become a pain once I'd gotten far. This was just the icing on the shit cake.

So I finally beat him again, after another three tries, and then threw the game down in disgust. I tried to pick it up again later, but since then, I've never been able to eek any enjoyment out of the game at all (except in eggman land). But I've gone on and on about how Unleashed is a boring, terribly made game already, so I won't get into that here.

All I'm saying is that the Perfect Dark Gaia fight deserves both the fifth, fourth, third, second, and first spots on that list. He's that fucking bad.

I didn't include bosses, because the next Top 5 is about THA MOST XTREME BOSS BATTLEZ EVAR.

Sonic Advance 2 - Sky Canyon boss, anyone?

I didn't include bosses, because the next Top 5 is about THA MOST XTREME BOSS BATTLEZ EVAR.

Don't get me started. Surprisingly, it's even worse if you decide not to take out the laser beam, as while the hand doesn't go as nuts, the laser just fires constantly. Ack!

Obviously Underground is a contender, it wouldn't be so bad but it's the FIRST BOSS IN THE GAME.

DOOOOODLEBUUUG MECHA. If you hate Sonic 2 8-bit, it's probably because of that rat bastard.

Good job noticing that, but that IS the reason I dislike Sonic 2 8-bit so much. >:/

It's schizophrenic though, Aqua Lake is only zone 3 and one of the hardest (and imo best) in the game, yet the boss is piss, the first boss is the hardest of the lot, zone 4 is the easiest stage apart from act 3, but even then THAT boss isn't so bad... it's like the zones are in the wrong order. Undeground is a pretty annoying stage to start out on.

I for one never had trouble with Skorp, but I can see where they're coming from. But if there's one asshole in that zone who deserves that spot it's the fucking ghosts. Although, your always tripping over light switches and being super makes them irrelevant, but if your stuck with these things hacking at your shins, far from any switches, they're the f*cking WORST!

For me, those artificial Chaos in SA2 were assholes in their purest form. They're like Skorp and Shell-Cracker reincarnated. Too fast to approach before they tentacle rape you, and even if you can dodge the tentacles, THEY LAZOR YOUR ASS! And it's even worse when they're on the ceiling and in GROUPS! FFFFFUUUUU-!!!

Edited by Black Spy

I think that attempting to fly the hang glider in Sonic 2 on the game gear is one of my top 5 asshole moments of my Sonic history... just no matter what I did..... crash into the spike pit... bastard.

Sonic the fighters Metal Sonic needs to be on that list somewhere.

Also I hate that sky canyon boss, stupid one hit kill hand...

I think that attempting to fly the hang glider in Sonic 2 on the game gear is one of my top 5 asshole moments of my Sonic history... just no matter what I did..... crash into the spike pit... bastard.

This, how do you even control the hang glider anyway?

This, how do you even control the hang glider anyway?

Well you... urm... urm... Yeah how do you do it, I never figured it out... Oh my... what if it's the same as the bouncy barrell!

Seriously though... did anyone else have trouble with the Sonic 2 hang glider?

No ones mentioned the inescapable Mystic Cave spike pit?

For shame...

Though I agree it's not as evil as the barrel of doom. Anyone who says that the method for bypassing it is intuitive is a liar.

Edited by Verte

I thought 7th emerald was serious and that the absence from Sonic 1 was just a warm-up explanation, I mean come on, when 7th emerald DOES appear, he is an asshole to collect after all.

Loved the barrel skit, very nicely done.

Sonic the fighters Metal Sonic needs to be on that list somewhere.

Metal Sonic isn't that hard. Just spam Sonic punch combo and he goes down pretty fast. Trying it with Nack is sort of suicide because majority of his attacks don't break guards. You just have to keep throwing him... Metal Sonic should be around 7 at best. lol

I'm not sure but no one had brought up Eggrobo being an asshole to Knuckles if that even counts.

Edited by Repo! The Genetic Fail

I'm not really considering their "assholitude" in terms of gameplay as much as character, but here's my list:

5. Chaos Gamma (in Battle.) He was going to attack a little girl. Does he need another qualification?

4. GUN Commander (from Shadow.) I want to note that I love this guy. He's such an huge parody of military leaders that I can't stop laughing at half his lines. That doesn't make him any less of an asshole though. All he did was pretty much yell at everyone. That, and he doesn't seem to care about humanity at all in comparison to getting back at Shadow for something that wasn't even his fault. In a sense, I guess that doesn't make Shadow much better, but at least he more easily puts aside his vengence for the greater good.

3. Mephiles the Dark. Sure, he's not the only one in the series who wants to destroy the world, but he goes above and beyond that and wants to destroy every possible universe and timeline. On top of that, he doesn't even have a clear motivation, so I can just assume that he wants to be an asshole.

2. Eggman Nega. Pretty much the same as Mephiles, but he also has the nerve to completely screw up the canon in the process.

1. Sonic as portrayed in cartoons (primarily Sonic X.) While Mephiles and Nega were evil and manipulative, they're assholish vibe doesn't come close to Sonic's in the cartoons. As far as the cartoons go, Sonic's attempts to be cool generally come off as arrogant or trying to hard. But in Sonic X, he's in a whole new league. I'll never forget when he manipulated Tails and seduced Amy just to get off that yacht.

Edited by SuperStingray

Well you... urm... urm... Yeah how do you do it, I never figured it out... Oh my... what if it's the same as the bouncy barrell!

Yes, it is basically like the barrel. But instead of alternating up and down, you just have to tap left (pointing the nose of the glider up) in a slow rhythm to make sure you don't fall too far. And in the second act, you might need to hold right in order to fall faster. It took me only a couple tries to figure it out.

And here I thought I was the only one!

5. Chaos Gamma (in Battle.) He was going to attack a little girl. Does he need another qualification

Gamma: "Initiating Recovery Mode" *self destructs*

Me: "FFFFFFFUUUUUUU...!!!

Yes, it is basically like the barrel. But instead of alternating up and down, you just have to tap left (pointing the nose of the glider up) in a slow rhythm to make sure you don't fall too far. And in the second act, you might need to hold right in order to fall faster. It took me only a couple tries to figure it out.
That's odd, I seem to remember completing it just by pressing absolutely nothing to keep the glider moving straight, then just doing a brief dive-climb move whenever I needed to keep momentum up. I'm not even sure if the diving part was necessary either (mostly because you miss the majority of the rings if you don't). I wonder if I'm thinking of something else entirely. My memory of the GG games is kinda limited (usually to the mention of Sonic 2's first boss). Definently less complicated and unintuitive than the barrel, that's for sure, even if I didn't have much trouble with that either.

I just normally tap up a few times, seems to work well. Getting that Sky High emerald is a bitch though, I can never which clouds and which way to go, so I always use the hang glider. I repeatedly kill myself and regain a life and try again on EVERY SINGLE playthrough of Sonic 2 GG.

I'm honestly dumbfounded by the amount of people who had trouble on the barrel! I will admit it had me stumped for a few minuetes, but I certainly never lost a life trying to work it out...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I just mash up after a running start when it comes to the glider, that always works for me. You only really need to use it once in the game though, at the end of Sky High act 1. The way through act 2 is the clouds. I think I've only attempted the bottom route successfully a few times, before I figured out the sky way.

• The title was changed to The Sonic Show #49: Top 5 Biggest Assholes