Awoo.

Vanquish

Sega DogTagz

:lol:

But yeah, there's no doubt, this game is blatantly trying to look like Halo. Nobody can deny that. Even that mechanical walker you see in the trailer is shaped like it could be a Covenant vehicle.

At the moment, the only thing I'm interested in with this game is seeing what a Japanese FPS would be like. (assuming this is a FPS) The only one I can think of is Fifth Phantom Saga made by Sonic Team, but even that one got canceled.

If it's a shooter, it's certainly the cleanest one I've seen in a while. As I've been saying time and time again about Needlemouse, you really can't judge a game based on the first trailer, especially if it's vague. I'll keep my eye on this one, especially considering Platinum's track record. My bet is that it will end up being a parody of shooters in the same way that MadWorld was a parody of violence and Bayonetta of sex.

Edited by SuperStingray

. Even that mechanical walker you see in the trailer is shaped like it could be a Covenant vehicle.
The covenant never had walkers?

Sorry, I'm not seeing it. the human gear in this is clean and white, as opposed to halo's green for earth. There's focus on the dude /inside/ the suit, unlike halo where we never see MC, and apart from the walker, none of the "alien" forces look anything like covenant gear, they're all dark and mechanical as opposed to smooth and purple. The only thing that says "Halo" to me are space lasers and robot suits, but they're pretty common sci fi tropes, even in Japan.

And yeah Pat, district 9's alien tech design was awesome. That lighting gun what'shisname ends up getting that makes people explode was win in both construction and the way it fired.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiD-2sWNDiU

I know Push Guns have been done before in videogames, but that one is just amazing. The way it fires, the way its barrel/nozzle looks like it'd give you horrific burns if you touched it...

And has it actually been confirmed that the enemies mentioned in the trailer are aliens? 'Cause it looks equally likely to me that they could be machines gone rogue (ala Terminator, the Matrix/Animatrix, I Robot etc), another world superpower on the ascendant making use of technology, or even an offworld colony of humans turned into an extra-terrestrial superpower waging a war of some sort.

Sorry, I'm not seeing it. the human gear in this is clean and white, as opposed to halo's green for earth.

Hl36Rcnwht.jpg

It doesn't matter what color it is, it still looks a hell of a lot like Spartan armor.

Also, I'm saying that the shape of the walker looks like it could be from the Covenant. Obviously not the color, but rather all the curves. It reminds me of the Banshee:

banshee.jpg

And the laser shooting down destroying the city is what happened to New Mombasa.

For me, it's hard to watch this and NOT think of Halo. The game will probably get more unique as we see more of it, but for now....

GameTrailers has an interesting breakdown of the full trailer right here. They raise some interesting questions and appear to have gone to some lengths to clarify the text in many of the trailer's scenes; The suit seems to be a D.A.R.P.A. creation, for example. They also point out that the suit appears to combine elements of the StormTrooper and Spartan designs while incorporating other features, for example a possible jetpack and an Iron Man-esque power core - both located on the suit's back.

I really hope that this game gets a 360 release if it does well critically and sales-wise on the PS3/PSP.

My brother pointed to the mini-wings and "warning heat exhaust" and thought up the jet-pack when he first saw the trailer.

I am a bit more interested in the backup solder spotted by that vid. If he is an ally, than that gives the possibility for squad based action and dare I pray Co-Op?! Jumping to conclusions here, but they would be nice additions.

Also, I'm saying that the shape of the walker looks like it could be from the Covenant. Obviously not the color, but rather all the curves. It reminds me of the Banshee:

reminded me more of the Wratihlords from Warhammer 40k

reminded me more of the Wratihlords from Warhammer 40k

The robot fighter remind me of Geth troopers (mass effect).

We could play this comparison game all day.

It's really a very western mech design though isn't it? We're comparing it to Geth and Banshees as opposed to Gundam or Eva Units. I think it shows the feel they're going for.

It's really a very western mech design though isn't it? We're comparing it to Geth and Banshees as opposed to Gundam or Eva Units. I think it shows the feel they're going for.

That is does, but if they put the amount of quality into defining their own realm ala what the team has done in its previous few games, than I don't think we'll have to worry about it too much.

Yet somehow a Gundam unit might actually not be entirely out of place here. strange.

Aesthetics are fine to me, what I'm concerned about is the gameplay.

I'd like the game to be a balls to the wall fast paced futuristic action game, Dino Crisis 2 mixed with ZOE plus Bayonetta. Give us the ability to rapidly boost/hover while shooting and launching missiles racking up kills and attaining bonuses, which would translate into immediate credits to increase or upgrade our equipment. All of this in a sci-fi environment with cool setpieces and epic bosses, two fundamental elements to any good game.

'cuz space marines shouldn't have to necessarily translate into FPS or cover based TPS.

Still, Mikami gets a free pass regardless of the genre. Unless it's a pet sim.

I really hope that this game gets a 360 release if it does well critically and sales-wise on the PS3/PSP.

Hah, the reason the leaked papers only stated PSP/PS3 was because they were written for a SCE meetup. Don't worry, it's bound to be multi from the get go ;P

I'd like the game to be a balls to the wall fast paced futuristic action game, Dino Crisis 2 mixed with ZOE plus Bayonetta. Give us the ability to rapidly boost/hover while shooting and launching missiles racking up kills and attaining bonuses, which would translate into immediate credits to increase or upgrade our equipment. All of this in a sci-fi environment with cool setpieces and epic bosses, two fundamental elements to any good game.

So like Dino Crisis 3 with less suck, I'm down for that.

though with mikami, I'd like some god hand to be in there too

I'm not going to lie... When I first saw this trailer, I thought that it looked somewhat generic; however, action packed. The battle at the end caught my eye due to the shear numbers of enemies. It makes we wonder how the gameplay will be and intrigue me even more. We know he has a gun, and safe to say, he'll have upgrades. And as SegaDogtagz pointed out, it seems he has a jet pack too. Simple video game tools, yet they came make one hell of an combination. So what could this be? A TPS or FPS squad-based shooter? You're guess is as good as mine.

And as for the 'generic' quote that I said earlier... Reminding myself who made this completed incinerated that trade of thought. This is Platinum Games, formerly Clover Studios. I don't think generic is even in these guys vocabulary! Okami, Viewitful Joe(One of my favorite franchises of all time.), Madworld and Bayonetta (I've only played the demo. Money shortage is the only fucking reason I haven't bought it yet.) Hell, I was able to play some of God Hand over at a friend's house. That game was so far left field, the developers could catch a foul ball on a sunset. So by looking at their past record, I can't help but believe that this will be more than just a shooter. Something southpaw will happened, style and/or gameplay-wise. And I anticipate what could it be.

Also... you know what this reminds me of? Does anyone remember the canceled EA game "Tiberium"? If you don't, the gameplay was supposed to be a squad based FPS.

You were a soldier who controlled an impressive number of support. From squads to mechs to spaceships. Whatever you need, it was there for your use. Now if this game is a squad-based shooter with a twist... Could Platinum Games be attempting to go at this formula? TPS or FPS, that would be freaking awesome in my opinion! And now knowing that the dude has some sort of jetpack... Holy shit! Frenzy ensue! ... But this is just a guess.

Edited by U ♥ YoshiUnity

TPS or FPS, that would be freaking awesome in my opinion! And now knowing that the dude has some sort of jetpack... Holy shit! Frenzy ensue! ... But this is just a guess.

Oh my God, can you imagine a game where you can make use of your jetpack not only to flank your enemy, but get a birds eye view of the forces your currently micromanaging?! It would be a symphony of chaotic bliss.

We might be looking at a Valkyria Chronicles esc mash-up of genres here guys. With more emphasis on the action of course.

Oh my God, can you imagine a game where you can make use of your jetpack not only to flank your enemy, but get a birds eye view of the forces your currently micromanaging?! It would be a symphony of chaotic bliss.

We might be looking at a Valkyria Chronicles esc mash-up of genres here guys. With more emphasis on the action of course.

Hell yeah, that would be awesome! And how about this? Not only could you control the micromanaging in a bird's eye view, but you could can take a squad with you for the flank or just bring in more death from above? And while doing so, you can actually plan a route for some of the heavier groups to take to where they could meet up with you or a big spearhead or you could be the distraction that would occupy the threat until they arrive for on the blindside. Punch'em high, Kick'em low? All that from a single soldier's point of view would be awesome.

Man, it really make you wonder just what this game could be? I mean, from anayzling the trailer, the soldier seem to have respect for nature, since he was in the grass holding a grasshopper respectfully? Maybe he actually a peaceful guy, but was brought into it under harsh circumstances?

Edited by U ♥ YoshiUnity

Hmm, they did that in Brootal Legend. Felt kind of sloppy there tho

It doesn't look like the main character has a jet pack. It's very common in science fiction for power armor to have hot exhaust coming out of it. Given how much attention was given to the armor, upgrading and modifying it might be a big deal in this game.

This is the guy who made PN 003 or whatever it was called, right?

I'd also like to mention that this trailer dissapointed me. At the very start, I thought I was going to be playing as some kind of extraterrestrial exploror who had just landed on earth, but then Space Marine.

Edited by Phos

So like Dino Crisis 3 with less suck, I'm down for that.

I was purposely trying to avoid the mention of it-that-shall-not-be-named ):

• 1 month later...

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/03/03/mikami_talks_vanquish/

First, the basics, as listed in the magazine. Vanquish is an Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 multiplatform title that's in development at Platinum Games, the studio behind Bayonetta. Shinji Mikami, known for his work on the Resident Evil series, is the director, with Platinum's Atsushi Inaba serving as producer. Sega will be releasing the game to Japan this Winter.

"Making a normal shooter wouldn't be interesting," continued Mikami, "so it has the concept of the feeling of speed and good tempo, and something flashy. There are lots of games where you shoot and kill people, so this time we wanted to try and see how we could convey the good feeling of shooting robots."

One major feature is the use of "boosts," which can be used to close the distance to your enemy quickly. The game also has a large variety of close-range attacks along with a "Bullet Time" feature which lets you slow time down.

Your character doesn't have a bunch of weapons in his possession. Instead, his weapon changes shape in real time depending on use. Originally, Mikami revealed, your character had a partner dog character who'd merge with your suit and take the form of various weapons. This wasn't received too favorably by the staff, so they switched to the idea of the weapons transforming.

Current development on Vanquish is at 80%

Shitty scans 1 / 2

Edited by Dobkeratops

The morphing gun sounds like a replacement for a "switching out" animation, but they could certianly do some interesting things with it. (it could also make your gun more important than your suit).

I think I would have liked the robo-Dog though.... Hope some element of a canine companion makes it through to the end of development.