Awoo.

Vanquish

Sega DogTagz

That footage looks AWESOME!!

Sold, sold and....SOLD!! Look forward to seeing more at E3! :D

• Thumbs Up 1

Holy SHIT

The talk about it being a Mass Effect x Sin and Punishment hybrid of sorts sure weren't off but goddamn that is absolutely amazing.

I can't wait to see more of this game now.

• Thumbs Up 1

Awesome Transformers:WFC trailer and now this.

This day is turning out to be grand. :D

Edited by killemoff

Man, Platinum is spinning gold (lol, a lesser precious metal). I was expecting to like whatever I saw, but the speed of the game just floors you. It already looks like a game that will be worth my money. I’d love to see some basic level flow come E3.

E3 impressions are starting to trickle in, so I figured I’d link up the IGN account.

IGN

There is also some more footage of the E3 build showing off the boost slide and the flow of battle.

My E3 demo for Vanquish took place during the third act of the first chapter, as Sam and his team make their way to the surface of the space station to engage an army of Russian robots. After taking out a number of gun emplacements and combat walkers, I jumped into an unoccupied walker and took aim as a security gate unlocked, sending a flood of drones and more powerful robotic enemies flooding into the pseudo-courtyard. As I fired, my team also took cover and engaged the enemy; at times, troops would fall to the ground with a medical icon over their heads, signaling that they could be assisted back up to continue the fight.

As a third person, cover based shooter, weapon variety and feel are clearly very important, and Vanquish does an admirable job covering its bases (particularly surprising given that this is frequently a place where Japanese shooters fall short of their western counterparts). Sam can carry three different firearms simultaneously, similarly to games like Gears of War, and weapons are selected by pushing the appropriate direction on the D-pad, while the left button switches between grenade types. Weapons range from heavy machine guns to assault rifles and shotguns, as well as a sniper rifle in the level I played. Guns have a good punch to them, and Platinum and Mikami are doing a great job of making each weapon feel unique and useful so far.  

However, Sam's most important tool is his combat suit, and unfortunately, the idiosyncracies of Vanquish's control scheme start to pile up from there. Vanquish is another third person shooter that seems to want to re-invent the wheel with regards to accepted shooter control conventions. The controls will likely have your fingers play a bizarre form of Twister on the face of the controller: the X button takes and leaves cover, the A button is a rolling evade, the B button is used for melee attacks, the Y button throws grenades, the left bumper is a rocket skate-style slide maneuver, the right trigger fires, the right bumper reloads, and the left trigger aims… but it also enacts Vanquish's own bullet-time style slow motion effect IF you happen to be sliding or rolling forward. Sliding, slow-motion, and rolls are all linked to an energy gauge, and if you use any of them too much, Sam's suit will overheat, leaving him vulnerable and with far few combat options save for hiding and shooting from cover. Vanquish forces players to juggle all of these variables and control particulars effectively to be successful in combat.

Seems like they were blown away by the graphics, but the complex control scheme has got them a bit worried.

IMO, after playing Bayonetta, I am completely cool with this. That set-up was extremely befuddling until you got 4 or 5 stages into the game and the systems (and alt weapons) started to really click.

Edited by Gallia

GT has HD play through of the demo shown at E3:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2010-vanquish/700465

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2010-vanquish/700463

It looks pretty cool but I can't help but feel like I may have overhyped myself for this game, I was expecting some much more flashy and unusual offensive options. It also kind of bugs me that he power slides every time he boosts forward, even when it's just to get to get across the room. It seems like they could build some kind of contextual awareness into the game, and make him do something different when there's nothing to shoot. Still, looks fun, though I do wish that the characters could try a little harder to not look like they came from Neo Contra.

Edited by Phos

• 3 weeks later...

Holy shit! I never seen so much awesome from a third person shooter. He just power slid into a group of enemies while blasting them with his shotgun, kicked a dude, and shot him while he was in the air after the kick.

Have to admit, it does look good.

I quite like what Platinum have released so far. Not got around to playing Infinite Space as yet, but I've very much enjoyed playing MadWorld and Bayonetta.

Not too sure what to get this on, though. PS3 is rumoured to be the lead console, so I might try and own a Platinum game on each console and get it on that.

U.S. release date October 19th 2010

You guys get the pre-order weapons that were announced for EU and Japan too :)

http://blogs.sega.com/usa/2010/07/08/vanquish-release-date-exclusive-pre-order-weapons/#more-5480

So it looks like you guys in the U.S. will be getting the game first, then Japan the 21st and EU 22nd. Least theres only a few days difference, great job SEGA :D

• 4 weeks later...

^

“Bayonetta meets Uncharted….”

*looks in pants*

Yep… I came a little on that one.

Edited by Sega DogTagz

Has something else finally caught up to the insanity that is Gun Force II? Maybe. We'll see how it pans out later on in the game.

the game shadow the hedgehog needed to be

Quoted for undeniable truth.

Anyway, here's the little helper that never will be, a robot dog concept that was supposed to help us out in game, but was cut out:

Sexy metal pooch.

Apparently, they had an idea for a female android that would combine with Sam's suit for different weapons and stuff, but was cut out as well...

vanquish_dog.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

I get to update my own tread for once! The world must be ending.

(or at least distracted with SOS)

The guys over at GameTrailers put up 2 more trailers on Vanquish a few days ago. One featuring main hero Sam, and the other is a preview. Both show off some stage set pieces that we haven’t seen before, ranging from the cool to the OMG I need to play naow. The dev’s over at P have once again left me drooling.

Have a look. Be warned, there are slight spoilers ahoy, but it’s probably nothing you won’t see in a commercial or intro on the back of the case.

GT

One thing certainly caught my eye though

Red suit = final boss? I think we now know how the Russians took the space station in the first place though.

Edited by Sega DogTagz
  • Thumbs Up 1

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_vanquish_demo_gets_a_date-9842_en.html

LONDON AND SAN FRANCISCO (August 23rd, 2010) – SEGA® Europe Ltd. and SEGA® of America, Inc. today announced that the demo for VANQUISHTM will be available exclusively for download from Xbox LIVE® Marketplace for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft®, and PlayStation® Store for the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system in North America on 31st August, across Europe on 1st September and Australia on 2nd September.

Next week Emot-awesome.gif