Awoo.

PS3 Hacked!

Badnik Mechanic

Before I start... this topic is missing something... it's missing a gif of the power rangers running around with the phrase "PS3 hacked OH NO! OH NO! OH NO!" on the top. Patticus, get on it!

Bit late with this. Last week the Playstation 3, the only console so far not to be... has been hacked... by this person.

George_Hotz-395x439.jpg

My eyes! The goggles did nothing!

Recognise him? Well he's the same fellow that hacked the i-phone. Allowing it to be used on any network and lots of other lovely stuff. Well he's done it again, only this time it's on the PS3. According to the fellow in question, his hack enables him to as he puts it..

"I can now do whatever I want with the system. It's like I've got an awesome new power - I'm just not sure how to wield it."

Didn't I once hear a similar thing in one of those old 80's films? Maybe this fellow is a wizard? Well anyway... Specifically it was mentioned that the hack could enable users to play PS2 games on the system and run pirated PS3 games, however Mr Hotz says that he will have nothing to do with that side of the hacking business.

The hack doesn't mean that the PS3 is 100% broken now, Hotz admits that he has yet to hack into the protected memory and a few other areas. But this should only be a matter of time now. As of yet his work/codes/exploits have not been released for the masses to use, and it's not clear if they ever will be released.

Considering that the wii, xbox 360, psp and DS have all been hacked long ago, it does make this achievement both a positive for the hacker and the PS3. Well think about it, the hacker is obviously very clever if it only took him 5 weeks what other people have been trying since day 1, and the PS3 itself... how many years old is it? And it's still not 100% hacked? Thats quite a record indeed.

But before you all go and download the hack if it gets released. Two things to think of Microsoft banned thousands of accounts last month for modifying their console, Sony would likely do the same, they're already done it with save tweaks that get trophies quickly, and if some rumours are true, when Sony release a new mandatory firmware update, it slightly refreshes the blu ray thingy so it'll mean any previous hacks don't work.... at least thats what it says on a number of forums... well... anyway.

So whats Sony to do? They said that they're investigating Mr Hotz's claims to have hacked their machine... if you ask me, I think they should call these people.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaKdQY3BHdU

Patticus: Did you just make this topic so you could post the power ranges theme tune.

Me: Urm.... nooooooo oo. *twitch*

Edited by Casanova

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Badnik Mechanic

• Chooch

• Tori Himemiya

• Tornado

Popular Days

I can't find the thread on this topic over at NeoGAF so no GIFs for you. That's if there even were any. They tend to be more common around industry trade shows, where the big news warrants big threads. The PS3's hackage was inevitable, so in that sense it's not big news at all.

The PS3's hackage was inevitable, so in that sense it's not big news at all.

I think even though it was inevitable that it would be hacked, it's just that it took so long for it to be hacked and that the guy who did it was the dude who hacked the i-pod. It does make you wonder, if he doesn't release all of his info, will the machine ever be hacked? At least in the near future.

It really depends on how things go from here. I've been thinking about this for a few days. This could either be the best thing possible for the system or the worst fucking thing ever. Assuming Sony doesn't just patch it.

If I can't still play with my friends online then it's not worth it for me.

And something tells me I won't be able to since Sony already requires your firmware to be updated to the latest in order to do that.

Give it a rest with the Youtube memes guys, not going to dish out punishments for the previous ones but any more will get iron fisted.

Anyway I am sure it had been hacked well before this, just this is the first one prancing it about making a huge song and dance about it.

Ah well I can't be seen with Haxed stuff anyway.

This is going to be GREAT for homebrewers; just imagine, a whole new world of emulators, unofficial ports (it's most likely that Doom will be first) and firmware hacks! This might just persuade me to get a PS3...

*Looks at monumental price tag* Screw it...