Awoo.

Repairing Sonic for the new decade

a knothole resident

I'm willing to make a pact that Mobius is the name of the region where most of the early games held their environments in. Like how Hawaii is a state of America or something. It would work well for Mount Mobius in Sonic Spinball, and even that's not considered canon by many. I kind of wish my idea was the real deal, but alas, there is no Mobius, and in turn no possible hope for many people to shut up.

It's some unexplained need of their's to slap Mobius onto the planet they're standing on. Much like how many other fans want Sonic Adventure 3 slapped onto a game for the sake of having a game out with that title.

I wouldn't say the Egg Fighters in Unleashed were at all terrible, but I do miss the animals inside the bots. They're a small thing, but they make me smile.:D

Oh gee what the hell is this "how to fix Sonic part 1,000"? To be honest no one knows what to do with the Sonic series, despite the games being pretty crappy he's not in a crisis. Why because anything with Sonic on it people buy it. I also don't think that making a game similar to the classics will automatically be good, but I could be wrong. As far as I'm concerned I say let Sonic Team continue what they're doing... eventually they might get it right.

Slapping Sonic 4 on a game doesn't mean it good, I remember when SEGA slapped Sonic The Hedgehog on a game and it turned out to be crap.

Edited by silencer226

Although what needs to happen is for Eggman to stick with a more consistent design, instead of a new drone every game. I understand introducing new enemies in a new installment, but I'd like to see some more stick around in a long run.

Meh. You didn't get tired of those Egg Pawns? The airborne ones are even present in the Black Knight legacy stages. It might be time to retire them. I know the classic Badnik design is only cosmetic, but they did things too. Enemies today just stand in one place and fire at you, which is pretty bad now that I think about it. A Buzzbomber flew around and fired and a Caterkiller was like a walking set of spikes. Variety in design and attack.

And I like Indigo's idea of explaining Mobius as a region on Sonic's Earth. Or my idea was to have it be the ancient name for Earth, in Echidna speak or something. Not that it needs to be explained.

Edited by Badnikz

Slapping Sonic 4 on a game doesn't mean it good, I remember when SEGA slapped Sonic The Hedgehog on a game and it turned out to be crap.

Call the next game "Alex Kidd" and people will be too confused to find anything wrong with it.

I wouldn't mind Mobius being a nickname of sorts for the planet, just as a little fanservice reference. But to officially make the planet Mobius would just be a bad move.

I will now quote this in every idiotic topic like this:

The sooner Sonic fans realise that they make up probably less than 10% of the sales of any Sonic game, the sooner they will realise why no game will ever be aimed at them again

I wouldn't mind Mobius being a nickname of sorts for the planet, just as a little fanservice reference. But to officially make the planet Mobius would just be a bad move.

Silly, we all know "Earth" is just a nickname for Planet Freedom. :lol:

Meh. You didn't get tired of those Egg Pawns? The airborne ones are even present in the Black Knight legacy stages.

I never liked the Egg Pawns to begin with. <_<

A Buzzbomber flew around and fired and a Caterkiller was like a walking set of spikes. Variety in design and attack.

That's one of the good things about the Classic enemies, each enemy has a different approach to killing it.

Unfortunately, if we were going to use them for a new Sonic game, they'd have to be more willing to attack and chase the player down should he decide to run away.

...I guess I just seek more of a challenge from today's games.

Fucking sig'd!

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

The Japanese story for Sonic 1 (And I think 2 and 3) was that they took place in fantastical places on earth. I think the real problem is just a lack of creativity:

"We're going to have Sonic go all around the world? Let put half the levels in giant cities!"

Nice to know that some people here have some fucking sense, at least. I wish I could put this in size-72 letters at the top of essentially every page of the Internet.

The Japanese story for Sonic 1 (And I think 2 and 3) was that they took place in fantastical places on earth. I think the real problem is just a lack of creativity:

"We're going to have Sonic go all around the world? Let put half the levels in giant cities!"

*looks at Sonic Unleashed* I only see one giant city. <_<

Edited by SuperStingray

I think that Sonic Unleashed did a good job at repairing Sonic for the most part, even if the general public doesn't think so. Yes, there can be some slight improvements to the Day Stages such as more overall control, less quicktime events, less dashpads, etc, but they were near perfect in my opinion.

I think that Sonic Unleashed did a good job at repairing Sonic for the most part, even if the general public doesn't think so. Yes, there can be some slight improvements to the Day Stages such as more overall control, less quicktime events, less dashpads, etc, but they were near perfect in my opinion.

The formula worked at least, but all I think is that it needs a little more balance in speed and platforming. They nailed it pretty much as far as dynamic goes.

Edited by SuperStingray

Agreed. Sonic will never be back in the eyes of the general public until every game is like the old ones, so I don't care what the public thinks.

Unleashed is great and it makes me think Sonic has a bright future.

Personally I find Unleashed to just pop in and play after a long day at school or if I want something easy and fun to play while I talk with my friends on an Xbox Live Party. It isn't art, it isn't amazing, but it's a great time killer with lots of replay value to it.

6. Romances. Enough with the bestiality SEGA! We've seen it in Sonic 06, Secret Rings, and now Black Knight. The compatibility between an animal and a human doesn't exactly sit right and we cringe everytime a female human is all up in Sonic's grill. It's disgusting and vile. If these games keep using princesses, why not one that�
Edited by Casanova

* I disagree Sonic isn't dying he's alive! if you want further evidence, please watch this informative video!

I always laugh when people say "Sonic is dead". If he's dead to them, fine, but fact of the matter is, the games still sell like hotcakes that cause orgasms once consumed, he still has a huge fanbase (divided as it may be), and more games in the franchise are still being created.

I always laugh when people say "Sonic is dead". If he's dead to them, fine, but fact of the matter is, the games still sell like hotcakes that cause orgasms once consumed, he still has a huge fanbase (divided as it may be), and more games in the franchise are still being created.

Sonic died, and on the third day he rose from the goal post.

6. Princess Sally isn't canon to the games.

Neither were Blaze, Big, Omega, Shadow or Rouge before they made an appearance ;)

The only reason I won't argue she's canon to the games is because I don't feel as though the classics and the modern games are of the same verse. I feel the modern era's continuity while largely inspired is not the same thing. However, to those who don't subscribe to that beleif, Sally was in spinball. It WAS localized in Japan. It WAS rewritten to fit the Japanese continuity and therefore like it or not it counts. Mobius was considered to be an entirely seperate planet and Sonic had ventured there to stop Eggman. So I guess to people who want their glimmer of SatAM, they already have had it.

She'd be a new entry to the series as far as I'm concerned and unwelcome. Sonic's already got a furry girl on his tail, and it's Amy. If you don't like her, I don't think she's going anywhere soon.

"We already have Amy" isn't good enough. If I were to say

"put Rotor in a game" and someone said

"but Tails already does mechanics and as for personality, Rotor doesn't really contribute anything that idenfies him as a character to really make Sonic's life more functional"

THAT would be explaining why the presence of another character already in the games negates the need to add another one. But to simply say "Amy's there and chasing Sonic" isn't good enough. For one thing, Sonic doesn't seem to have a female character he has a very good relationship with and even if a female character does, she's periphreal and makes ocassional/one time appearances like Blaze or Elise. My disagreeing with Sally comes mostly from the fact that--look at what happened to SatAM and Archie by adding her.

Sally and Sonic's relationship (Sally foiling recklessness, a prerequisite to ANY flaw that ever bubbles out) made her come across as incredibly perfectionated. If you're supposed to foil flaws themselves, then the implication is that you're essentially the flawless, ideal girl. And if you're ideal, the only use for Sonic she'd have is that of an appliance, or whenever the plot would contort her personality to be flawed for an ocassion so that its not as painfully obviously she doesn't need Sonic as a person. The effect of Sally's presence in SatAM and Archie is a strong one. Sonic has no need for the other characters because Sally can compensate where he's deficient. With the characters only hanging out when there's an adventure that conveiently brings them to one another, they if anything NEED to learn to come together. They don't need the addition of a character that will if anything drive their bonds further apart. If I had to add anyone, it'd be Mina from the comics and maybe a few other cartoon or comic additions that do not need to destroy Sonic's relationships to the other characters. Maybe not as a girlfriend, but just as a regular female character Sonic can get along with fairly well that has a personality a bit more moderate then sassy militant feminist and raging tsundere anime queen.

I had that same impression when I watched Sonic X. As Milo stated a couple months ago, humans are boring cause we see them in everyday life. How about a Sonic game that takes place on Mobius where Sonic doesn't feel alienated and can be surrounded by his kind?

A segregationst!!!!!

..I'm kidding. Truth be told, Unleashed made the humans look cartoony and apart of the actual world in a beleivable fashion. I think one of the issues I have with the series is that the magic in Sonic is taken away when you work to hard to enforce an incredibly realistic atmosphere. So I've not been one to complain about exaggerated if not totally abstract features on the landscape.

Secret Rings and Unleashed both sold over 2 million.

That still kinda sucks considering how Sonic used to sell.

If SatAM wasn't popular among American audiences, then why is the comic still in publication and focusing on the Freedom Fighters as their central characters? Simple. Cause it works!

Go to Penders' site and look at the figures for the total sales of Sonic comics. It actually doesn't look like its working. Not only that, but you can't ignore the fact that Amy and Knuckles (the only two regular protaganists in the games often ignored by Archie) now have a stronger voice and appear regularly. This was also happening before Ian came so no harping about "oh that was only done because he's a game fanboy either."

5. The music. The cheesy 80s hair metal has to go

I agree. That or associate Sonic with an incredibly diverse genre of music.

Go to Penders' site---

After all the shit that man has pulled over the years, I don't trust a single thing I read on that board.

Man, another topic that consists of some fail.

Well, like Badnikz said before, we could use some variety on the speed based gameplay Sonic is known for. It seems to me that Sonic and the Black Knight, with its sword, is a good first step for showing some variety.

As for the comics, why should we have games based on Sonic media that is not canon to the main series? Though many Sonic fans are not fond of the game I'm going to mention now, play Sonic Chronicles. It may not be the best Sonic game, but gameplay wise, that is as close to the comics and SATam you will ever get to.

And no need to mention the humans, Mobius and the rest the topic creator mentioned, as my opinion on those has much in common that most others who already replied to this topic have said already.

I wouldn't say I've liked everything Penders ever did, but I'm glad Julie-Su and the Legion got homaged in Chronicles.

Ya know, I'd just prefer to throw out all the gameplay stuff that's been tried in the 3D games and start from scratch, because things just ain't working properly. I'd just take a fresh new look at Sonic's gameplay and throughly work out how he would work properly in 3D, that's what I'd do, before I'd screw around with anything resembling story and characters. We've got enough "how to fix Sonic" topics as it is.