Awoo.

Repairing Sonic for the new decade

a knothole resident

I can imagine the Freedom Fighters being introduced into the games, but as, err, completely different characters. So even if they did appear, it certainly wouldn't be able to do their original depictions justice whatsoever - they'd have to be fighting for a completely different cause, since Eggman isn't the tyrannical, heartless dictator in the games like Robotnik was in SatAM.

Also, I'm fine with both the Eggman and Robotnik names. Neither is cooler than the other, because both of them are really dumb puns. Some people say that "Robotnik" sounds more intimidating, when it really doesn't, since it's just as much of a pun as Eggman is. Groovy and all to have a preference, but it annoys me when certain people call others weeaboos for using the Eggman name.

Edited by Jake

I prefer Robotnik, but I accept his name is Eggman now for all intents and purposes. In a way, it works for me, because the 'Robotnik' I know best is the SatAM one, and he's an entirely different character pretty much. Therefore, I tend to talk about him as Robotnik and the current game one as Eggman, and it helps keep them seperate.

Sally was the princess, so if you're going to compare anyone to Blaze, Sally makes far more sense.

Blaze is kinda like having Sally with more explosions. :lol:

Sally had an explosive temper when she got pissed - Blaze just took it to a whole new level ;)

Seriously, though, I've always been a sucker for the "unconventional tomboy princess" character.

Sally had an explosive temper when she got pissed - Blaze just took it to a whole new level ;)

Kitty anger = Squirrel anger + 1. :lol:

Seriously, though, I've always been a sucker for the "unconventional tomboy princess" character.

I'm happy to say I love that archetype too, but you probably knew that already. ;)

See, I don't get why the name "Eggman" is such a big deal. It doesn't stop him from being an great villain. I mean, there are plenty of villains who don't sound intimidating in name but are still great enemies. The Joker for one.

Oh don't worry, there are plenty of folks here who know better to guarantee none of that bullshit occurs here.

It's fine and dandy to prefer one name over another, but step a foot over the line of bitching and you'd better be prepared to dodge some pretty big bullets. B)

Kitty anger = Squirrel anger + 1. :lol:

More like Kitty anger = Squirrel anger + 9000!

I know, terrible...

I'm happy to say I love that archetype too, but you probably knew that already. ;)

Well it's a much better archtype than the damsel in distress one. At least whenever attempts to kidnap her, she's going to give out one hell of an asswhoopin' before she goes down.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Well it's a much better archtype than the damsel in distress one. At least whenever attempts to kidnap her, she's going to give out one hell of an asswhoopin' before she goes down.

To my knowledge, she has yet to go down. Mainly for two reasons:

1. She's too tough for that.

2. Sonic won't let her.

You know what annoys the flying crap out of me? The idea that a princess whose NOT a tomboy (a girl imitating "boyish" things) must be a damsel in distress. A ton of girls, proabably most and even some guys have a great affinity for things gender roles would consider "feminine" Between Xena, Sally, many of the 90s Disney princesses, etc... there've actually been a lot of "tomboy princesses." I'd go as far as to say it's not "unconventional" anymore. But the constant black-and-whiteness of "tomboy=good and 'strong', girly girl =bad and 'weak'" infers girls really shouldn't be able to feel comfortable choosing who they want to be and that they should follow whatever path men currently are expected to follow.

Edited by Miko

But the constant black-and-whiteness of "tomboy=good and 'strong', girly girl =bad and 'weak'" infers girls really shouldn't be able to feel comfortable choosing who they want to be and that they should follow whatever path men currently are expected to follow.

Hey, I'm cool with that. I LOVE a woman with athleticism. Nothing spicier than that. Ha cha cha. B)

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

You know what annoys the flying crap out of me? The idea that a princess whose NOT a tomboy (a girl imitating "boyish" things) must be a damsel in distress. A ton of girls, proabably most and even some guys have a great affinity for things gender roles would consider "feminine" Between Xena, Sally, many of the 90s Disney princesses, etc... there've actually been a lot of "tomboy princesses." I'd go as far as to say it's not "unconventional" anymore. But the constant black-and-whiteness of "tomboy=good and 'strong', girly girl =bad and 'weak'" infers girls really shouldn't be able to feel comfortable choosing who they want to be and that they should follow whatever path men currently are expected to follow.

To be fair, I see the version of Amy in the modern games as someone who does just fine at being both girly and powerful.:D

Yeah, I guess I'm just bothered by "princess" stereotypes and what they often communicate.

Certainly understandable.

Personally, despite her carrying a tomboyish air, I see Blaze as being pretty neautral in terms of percieved notions of gender roles, and able to potentially swing to any part of the spectrum with little difficulty.

To be fair, I see the version of Amy in the modern games as someone who does just fine at being both girly and powerful.:D

... in a girly way. Like how girls are seen to be more vindictive than guys, and go that extra mile to get revenge. (They're much more likely to slap a guy than a guy is to hit the girl.)

... in a girly way. Like how girls are seen to be more vindictive than guys, and go that extra mile to get revenge. (They're much more likely to slap a guy than a guy is to hit the girl.)

Amy: *shaking fist* Sonic has fallen! I am your new main protagonist! The franchise is now mine!!! EEEE!!!

On the subject of roboticization, if we consider Chronicles canon, then that is now the official name for Eggman's use of small animals in his robots, even though the actual process is different.

Female characters can be strong and feminine (Rouge), strong and girly (Amy) or strong and tomboyish (Sally, Blaze). I just happen to like the tomboyish ones myself, but more than that, I love the idea of a princess turning away from a royal lifestyle to do her own thing. Royalty is usually assumed, in the case of girls, to be associated with glamour, beauty, airs and graces. This is probably why rebel princesses are often portrayed as tomboys, because that is the aesthetic opposite of the absolute femininity of a traditional princess. But I would hold just as much respect for a princess who rebelled against the royal life yet retained her femininity.

Actually, to be fair, Sally is still a very feminine character. She is just tomboyish in comparison to those female characters whose feminine traits are deliberately emphasised.

Amy: *shaking fist* Sonic has fallen! I am your new main protagonist! The franchise is now mine!!! EEEE!!!

oh noez

Edited by OvErLoRd Darkspine

Join it as it fights towards ten multiple endings in its quest to find its cheese!

That story would bring a tear to my eye.

I love the idea of a princess turning away from a royal lifestyle to do her own thing.

A part of me wants Blaze to just set up some sort of democratic government in her kingdom so she could go run around and be a sailor/pirate with Marine.^_^

That story would bring a tear to my eye.

A tale from the ages. :lol:

Hey, i never thought if it before but Blaze is probably a god damn dictator! She's no better than Eggman!

Yes of course, i can see it so clearly now! In Sonic's dimension, the good guy (Sonic himself) represents anarchy while his enemy (Eggman) represents order, while in Blaze's dimension, its the opposite, in that the good gu... err, gal (Blaze) represents order while her enemy (Nega) represents anarchy! It really IS a bizzaro world! :blink:

Hey, i never thought if it before but Blaze is probably a god damn dictator! She's no better than Eggman!

Firstly, she's a princess not a dictator. Secondly, when has she ever shown signs of corruption?

Firstly, she's a princess not a dictator. Secondly, when has she ever shown signs of corruption?

If she is an absolute monarch, then in practice, she is a dictator, corrupt or not. But she is a cute dictator, so that makes it a bit more tolerable. :P

If she is an absolute monarch, then in practice, she is a dictator, corrupt or not. But she is a cute dictator, so that makes it a bit more tolerable. :P

Did someone say cute dictator?

I don't think she's an absolute monarch; no one really ever said that. (as far as I remember.) Besides, wouldn't the king or queen be the monarch, not the princess?

I don't think she's an absolute monarch; no one really ever said that. (as far as I remember.) Besides, wouldn't the king or queen be the monarch, not the princess?

That reminds me...

Where the hell are Blaze's parents?