Awoo.

Repairing Sonic for the new decade

a knothole resident

That reminds me...

Where the hell are Blaze's parents?

On that note, where are Princess Peach or Zelda's parents?

On that note, where are Princess Peach or Zelda's parents?

At least Zelda's dad has the decency to show up every once in a blue moon.

Otherwise, how would he ever find out what's for dinner? ;)

Where the hell are Blaze's parents?

I dont know, but its probably where all the other Sonic characters parents are...

At least Cream still has her mother, and we know what Shadow did to his "dad".

But I think we've kinda got a little sidetracked here. Aren't we suppose to be talking about Sonic in the new decade?

But I think we've kinda got a little sidetracked here. Aren't we suppose to be talking about Sonic in the new decade?

Not sure if this has been mentioned before in this thread, but I figure with the appearence of the chili dogs in Unleashed and Black Knight, there's a chance that other material from America and Europe could show up in Sonic Team games. Just probably not exactly as we know it.

5. Humans. They just don't belong in a Sonic game. That poor hedgehog and his furry pals probably feel self-conscience being the only ones of their kind roaming around on Earth. I had that same impression when I watched Sonic X. As Milo stated a couple months ago, humans are boring cause we see them in everyday life. How about a Sonic game that takes place on Mobius where Sonic doesn't feel alienated and can be surrounded by his kind? Watching SatAM and reading the Comics are more gripping cause it immerses into a world that doesn't exist; hence the sci-fi fantasy aspect of it. I would love to see 33rd century Mobius in the games. Its backgrounds, terrains, atmosphere, how its society functions.

Eggman exists. Therefore humans exist.

Your little animal characters already get most of the screentime. I hardly see it as a compromise to ask for such blatant disregard to the human characters and their fans, like myself. Eggman, Gerald, Maria, Nega, Pickle, GUN Commander, Dr. Madden, etc. are cool, and add personality to the series.

The videogames are not SatAM. They never have been. SatAM was a heavy-handed "Man vs. Nature" story that attempted to convey the insultingly-simplistic theme of "Animals good. Man bad."

The games, by having humans and animals interact, adds so much more depth. There's good and evil from both sides, and even the "evil" ones are portrayed as sympathetic and deep as in Eggman's case. I like that, and find it far more believable than an all-animal cast going up against one unrealistically-evil human like SatAM's Robotnik.

Humans have always existed in the game story. Eggman's been in every game. Wendy Witchcart from Tails Sky Patrol also appeared pre-Sonic Adventure. Modern cities appeared in the background of most classic games and, lo and behold, once the games felt a need to make NPCs at all, we found humans existed all along. Humans were not a novelty SA invented- NPCs were, regardless of species.

Sonic's a lot like an old cartoon- A mix of animal and human characters who all work together to make an enjoyable story. Where would Bugs Bunny be without his Elmer Fudd, Yosemite Sam, Granny, etc.? The same applies to Sonic and his human costars.

I think people beleive that the magic's taken out of Sonic when you throw him in a world full of humans with terrain that's generally incredibly realistic. Not saying you can't have cities but even then there can be a fantasy element to that. It's kind of odd how there are NO animal societies. Because of this, Sonic to many people looks like he doesn't belong in the world. I could see if there were as many NPC animals as there are humans in a given place (perhaps some can be based on geographic enviornment). Also in the classics IIRC yes there were humans but of the ones that actually showed up in the game they were for the most part villians.

Edited by Miko

There's good and evil from both sides, and even the "evil" ones are portrayed as sympathetic and deep as in Eggman's case.

As much of a nostalgist as I tend to be in regards to the Sonic mythos, I'll admit that I really like how the morality is often pretty gray in the modern games.

I was extremely impressed with how

Merlina betrays and tries to kill Sonic in Black Knight, and yet she is still written as a sympathetic, tragic, likable character.

Kinda felt like Sonic and the Secret Rings all over again in that regard. Sonic will have to transform into a certain red echidna not to see it coming next time.

I think people beleive that the magic's taken out of Sonic when you throw him in a world full of humans with terrain that's generally incredibly realistic. Not saying you can't have cities but even then there can be a fantasy element to that. It's kind of odd how there are NO animal societies. Because of this, Sonic to many people looks like he doesn't belong in the world. I could see if there were as many NPC animals as there are humans in a given place (perhaps some can be based on geographic enviornment). Also in the classics IIRC yes there were humans but of the ones that actually showed up in the game they were for the most part villians.

Yet I think separating them, making "animal societies", sends unfortunate implications. I'm all for more animal NPCs, but I'd want them to live among the human NPCs. Like how Amy lives in Station Square.

Making them live in segregated communities just seems odd, as clearly, humans respect and see the animal characters like any other people in this series. I don't want to go back to the "Man vs. Nature" overtones of SatAM by changing that dynamic. I like the idea that most humans are good, that Eggman wants to conquer everyone equally, and that Sonic is as much a champion of humanity as he is of any other species. Dividing the cast by species lines in a series that's never attempted to do that before(As far as the games are concerned) would be really horrible in my opinion.

Kinda felt like Sonic and the Secret Rings all over again in that regard. Sonic will have to transform into a certain red echidna not to see it coming next time.

Yeah, the blue blur is becoming uncharacteristically gullible. :lol: