Awoo.

Dread's Secret Japanese Music Showcase

Dreadknux

So I did a secret show on SEGASonic Radio, which focused on Japanese music. I've been thinking of doing a regular J-Music show on SSR alongside The Sonic Hour, but can never really find time to do so. I guess I can just do it on irregular occasions when the time feels right, eh? People seemed to really enjoy the music I laid out, so I've listed them here in case you want to check them out or buy the CDs online or something. Note that I'm not going to give you any help in finding these via Torrents or whatever, you'll have to either support the artists or do that sly shit yourselves. Having said that, if you're unsure of a band before buying the CD, heading on Youtube and checking out some PVs (music videos) always seems to do the trick.

1. BoA - BUMP BUMP! feat.VERBAL (m-flo)
  2. Koda Kumi x misono - It's All Love!
  3. Ayumi Hamasaki - talkin' 2 myself
  4. m-flo loves Emi Hinouchi & Ryohei & Emyli & Yoshika & LISA - love comes and goes
  5. MiChi - PROMiSE
  6. GReeeeN - Setsuna
  7. So' Fly - Ready Or Not vs. Itt (So' Fly Version)
  8. Monkey Majik - Around The World
  9. Doping Panda - Miracle
  10. Beat Crusaders - Hit In The USA
  11. Base Ball Bear - changes
  12. Asian Kung Fu Generation - Rewrite
  13. abingdon boys school - Strength
  14. Gackt - Journey through the Decade
  15. D'espairsRay - Brilliant
  16. The Mad Capsule Markets - Pulse
  17. Maximum The Hormone - Zetsubou Billy
  18. Rize - PARADOX体操
  19. AA= - Peace!!!
  20. Fact - A Fact Of Life
  21. Blood Stain Child - Pitch Black Room (listed on Youtube as 'Freedom')
  22. Hide & Spread Beaver - Pink Spider
  23. Antic Cafe - Cherry Saku Yuuki
  24. Mucc - Utagoe
  25. Miyavi - Sakihokoru Hana no Yoni
  26. Vamps - Trouble
  27. Redemption 97 - Good Friends Good Music
  28. Gollbetty - IF!
  29. Naivepop or Petitfool - Bicycle Race (Remix by Plus-Tech Squeeze Box)
  30. m.o.v.e. - Gamble Rumble
  31. AKB48 - Namida Surprise!
  32. ravex - I Rave U (Original)
  33. SAKURAKOU K-ON BU - Don't Say 'Lazy'
  34. Girl Next Door - Infinity
  35. DJ Ozma - Spiderman

Maybe I'll get to do another one of these soon. But yeah. Discuss these artists and talk about your favourite Japanese artists here. :)

• Thumbs Up 9
  • Bad Quality Post 2

YES I'M A 19 YEAR OLD 6'7 AFRICAN AMERICAN MALE WHO LISTENS TO J-ROCK AND KAWAII MUSIC AND I'M PROUD DAMMIT

• Thumbs Up 10
  • Bad Quality Post 2

...SOMEONE THUMB UP HIM!! (accidentally pressed thumbs down when he meant to press thumbs up)

Anyways, thanks for this, love J-Pop. Be sure to check some of these out and sounds like an interesting idea.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I enjoyed it. Awesum sekrit showe was indeed awesome.

For future I recommend to you some Hirasawa Susumu.

You require moar haunting instrumentality!

• Thumbs Up 2

Beat Crusaders FTW. Love their music. Maximum the Hormone is also really good. Don't know/care for any of the other stuff you mentioned, though.

You need to get some High and Mighty Color on there next time you do a show like that. Oh, and Showtaro Morikubo's first solo album is a classic.

• Thumbs Up 1

Utada_Hikaru_2004.jpg

* 1999: First Love

* 2001: Distance

* 2002: Deep River

* 2006: Ultra Blue

* 2008: Heart Station

"Passion" YAY

Edited by Mew

So I did a secret show on SEGASonic Radio, which focused on Japanese music. I've been thinking of doing a regular J-Music show on SSR alongside The Sonic Hour, but can never really find time to do so. I guess I can just do it on irregular occasions when the time feels right, eh? People seemed to really enjoy the music I laid out, so I've listed them here in case you want to check them out or buy the CDs online or something. Note that I'm not going to give you any help in finding these via Torrents or whatever, you'll have to either support the artists or do that sly shit yourselves. Having said that, if you're unsure of a band before buying the CD, heading on Youtube and checking out some PVs (music videos) always seems to do the trick.

1. BoA - BUMP BUMP! feat.VERBAL (m-flo)
  2. Koda Kumi x misono - It's All Love!
  3. Ayumi Hamasaki - talkin' 2 myself
  4. m-flo loves Emi Hinouchi & Ryohei & Emyli & Yoshika & LISA - love comes and goes
  5. MiChi - PROMiSE
  6. GReeeeN - Setsuna
  7. So' Fly - Ready Or Not vs. Itt (So' Fly Version)
  8. Monkey Majik - Around The World
  9. Doping Panda - Miracle
  10. Beat Crusaders - Hit In The USA
  11. Base Ball Bear - changes
  12. Asian Kung Fu Generation - Rewrite
  13. abingdon boys school - Strength
  14. Gackt - Journey through the Decade
  15. D'espairsRay - Brilliant
  16. The Mad Capsule Markets - Pulse
  17. Maximum The Hormone - Zetsubou Billy
  18. Rize - PARADOX体操
  19. AA= - Peace!!!
  20. Fact - A Fact Of Life
  21. Blood Stain Child - Pitch Black Room (listed on Youtube as 'Freedom')
  22. Hide & Spread Beaver - Pink Spider
  23. Antic Cafe - Cherry Saku Yuuki
  24. Mucc - Utagoe
  25. Miyavi - Sakihokoru Hana no Yoni
  26. Vamps - Trouble
  27. Redemption 97 - Good Friends Good Music
  28. Gollbetty - IF!
  29. Naivepop or Petitfool - Bicycle Race (Remix by Plus-Tech Squeeze Box)
  30. m.o.v.e. - Gamble Rumble
  31. AKB48 - Namida Surprise!
  32. ravex - I Rave U (Original)
  33. SAKURAKOU K-ON BU - Don't Say 'Lazy'
  34. Girl Next Door - Infinity
  35. DJ Ozma - Spiderman

Maybe I'll get to do another one of these soon. But yeah. Discuss these artists and talk about your favourite Japanese artists here. :)

GACKT!?!

D:

I don't like Gackt. He pretty much ruined Malice Mizer and Mana's reputation. >.< He's an ok singer but... I'll forever nightmares of him in leather because of

Poor Kozi! >.< Pretty catchy though and I'll admit this was Kami's best.

But everything else is fine. lol

Dreadknux your next show's list needs some spicing up. Here's how you do it:

Genki Rockets - Breeze (Kaskade Remix)

capsule - Portable Kuukou

ravex - Just the Two of Us feat. Tohoshinki

ravex - Bangalicious feat. Anna Tsuchiya

Perfume - One Room Disco

FLOPPY - Kimi wa Suteki

Boom Boom Satellites - BACK ON MY FEET

access - Double & Trust

m-flo loves Kahimi Karie - COZMO-NAUGHTY

globe - genesis of next

w-inds. x G-DRAGON (BIG BANG) - Rain Is Fallin'

JAM Project - Hello Darwin! ~Koukishin On Demand~

'Twas a veritable buffet of Japanese delicacies. Quite a display if I do say so myself. The word would be... perfect.

• Thumbs Up 1

Japanese music sucks compared to just about everywhere else 90% of the time. It's either girly pop or stupid beat pachinko toss if it's not VGM. Speaking of which, if anyone wants the musical atrocity that is Andrew W.K.'s Gundam Rock album, I've got a copy I'm looking to flog. Offers please.

The 10% of bands that don't suck:

Gackt - the one Japanese crooner who is actually half decent.

Hide - the other Japanese crooner who is actually fully dead.

Dir En Grey - Crackers all-over prog metallers with a mix of melody and something close to dog frequencies.

Mad Capsule Markets - Electro metal driven beats which go from sublime to rediculous punkish riffs. V. Catchy.

THE SEATBELTS - Did the jazzy tracks to Cowboy Bebop. Sublime chill to 70's lounge/action.

Bespa Kumamero - Dread told me about these - Visual electro metal with hot babe and bleach-bearded guy. Different.

RIZE - Closest thing to pop punk you'll get. Great cover of Hide's Pink Spider.

Dreams Come True - Sonic bias, but they are stupidly catchy pop.

TOP TIP:

a) Never watch any videos by a band called An Café. Believe it or not, they're guys.

T

This thread obviously needs moar Touhou

That and you've probably heard this. I dunno. I'm not normally a fan of Vocal Japanese music, I prefer understanding what I'm hearing. But if it's catchy like Bad Apple!! I guess :V

Utada_Hikaru_2004.jpg

* 1999: First Love

* 2001: Distance

* 2002: Deep River

* 2006: Ultra Blue

* 2008: Heart Station

"Passion" YAY

This, 100%. I listen to all of these CDs regularly. My favorite female singer of any genre.

Also, her first English CD, "Exodus", was surprisingly good as well. Not so much her second, though.

TOP TIP:

a) Never watch any videos by a band called An Café. Believe it or not, they're guys.

Hey T, woah there compadre. Imma really happy for you, and I'ma let you finish, but An Cafe are the best J-rock group of all time!

Their image is a bit weird at first, but you get used to it. And I want to clearly reiterate the rule that: 'If you imagine them with ladyparts, then they don't count as guys for whatever it is you are imagining them for the purposes of doing'. OKAY?? O.O;;

Haha, I loved the secret show Dread, though I was a bit sad it went on past my bedtime and I missed the illustrious DJ Ozma's Spiderman. Ah well.

You played a good mix of tunes too, which was pretty sweet, from J-Rock to J-Ska and J-Metal to J-Bob.

It gets the SpeedKnux seal of approval anyway :)

Thanks for the comments guys, might well do another one when I can be bothered. :)

And thanks for all the suggestions and music postings, some of these I have obviously (Imma-bigger-m-flo-fan-than-you) but I structured the playlist so that each track went well into each other, which explains the setup. :) I'll be using different artists and different songs for another time, like Dir En Grey, Soul'd Out, Utada, Namie Amuro and others. Bear in mind that the show's not about playing the most popular J-tracks, so I won't be going crazy and putting every J-diva artist on there. If you saw tracks you didn't recognise, that's good - my point is so you can expand your horizons beyond the Avex 'face of the month' and Anime theme songs. :P I hope you'll go and give them a listen and see what you think, at least. :)

To mention one suggested track by name though - I'm actually not too keen on Boom Boom Satellite's "Back On My Feet". Bit bland and, well, it doesn't really move me. Not to say I won't play it if the opportunity arises, but yeah.

@T-Bird: Yeah, that was my understanding too - but after digging into some not-very-well-knowns over the last couple of years I've found some solid stuff. At the very least, some of the most popular (or heavily pushed) songs are grating, obnoxious noises. But for the love of God, slipper man, add Maximum The Hormone to your list. :3

And you're just mad about AnCafe because Bou stole your weekend dress ideas. <3