Awoo.

Sonic 4: What elements would you like to see return?

Detective Shadzter

Yay, first topic! *Damn, ninja'd*

So with eagle eyes in the trailer we've seen those zip line pulley thingies from Sonic 3 and Sonic Rush returning, what other level elements would you like to see return in this game?

I'd love to see some snowboarding from Sonic 3 returning and maybe the see-saw's from Sonic 2 myself. Snowboarding was a wow factor for me as Ice Cap started up, you just weren't expecting it especially not right off the bat.

The barrels from Carnival Night! :P

I'd like to see the save feature from Sonic 3 return, along with Super Sonic as an unlockable. I'd imagine the level select feature won't allow you to play as Super Sonic, so this way you could still start at any Zone in your completed file with Super Sonic, just for fun.

Another thing I'd like to see is a couple of skins to make Sonic and Robotnik look more retro. Maybe they could be unlocked for completing every level with a low total time (like how Sonic CD had you to unlock the cinematics).

Finally, I'd like to see Debug Mode return. Whether they add it as an unlockable, or as a code to punch in like the good old days, I'd absolutely love to be able to spawn a bunch of Rings, Shellcrakers and Moto Bugs! Debug Mode is my all-time favorite cheat!

Edited by Brianzilla2004

The barrels from Carnival Night!

Nooooooooooo! Dont say that you'll give them ideas :lol:

Least if anything like that happened now we have the ever helpful invention of GameFAQ's.

The barrels from Carnival Night!

Now that we should know what to do, sure! They be's some colorful barrels!! :P

I'd like a snowboarding segment as you've said Brick. I never expected that to be in the game at the time and I loved the music during that segment.

Everything else that I've wanted has been announced/leaked thus far.

Edited by Light

I'm more concerned with what's new as opposed to what's returning, but I would love to see a snowboarding section that's actually controllable. Have him actually do some platforming while snowboarding, instead of just going straight down a hill and maybe jumping.

I'd like to see the debug mode return, but only as an unlockable option once you complete the game, not as a code. Level select will be an option anyway, and Super Sonic is something we've been asking for FOR YEARS. This should be the game to include him again.

Level gimmicks, I want pinball machines, cannons, water slides, and bouncy things.

Definitely level gimmicks. Not just repeats, but entirely new stuff. And elemental shields :x

Sonic Rush Adventure has been doing level gimmicks, so they have no excuse, especially in a classic styled game.

Edited by Semi-colon e

I'd like to see the debug mode return

Somehow I doubt that's going to happen... We can hope though!

Quite a few things I really want to see in Sonic 4:

-Gimmicks specific to each level. Carnival night had balloons, bumpers and cannons. Death Egg had the 'inverted level' gimmick in act 2. It's unique zone trends like this I want to see.

-Some kind of button-code input for stuff. A coded level select would be welcome.

-The classic style sonic closing. Jump out at us at the end please Sonic!

-The credits song to be a mix of all the zone songs. Sonic 1 did it, Sonic 2 did it, Sonic and Knuckles did it. (hell, even Rush did!)

-A new redesigned type of special stage. For some reason I don't think running along a tube/halfpipe/track *ahemsonicheroessonic3Dsonicrush* collecting rings/spheres etc is exactly original anymore. Each game in the classic series redesigned the special stages in a new way. Sonic 4 should be no different.

-WATER LEVEL! Yes I know we hated them all... but Sonic hasn't touched water since... Rush Adventure I don't think? Last console game to feature water dates back to Sonic Adventure... Bring it back please!

-*prepares against rioting purists* The Hedgehog engine. Yes, you heard me right the Hedgehog engine. Sonic unleashed's day stages looked beautiful... I think it's simply too nice a graphics engine to throw away after a single use...

-The credits song to be a mix of all the zone songs. Sonic 1 did it, Sonic 2 did it, Sonic and Knuckles did it. (hell, even Rush did!)

Yes! Even Knuckles' Chaotix did it! This would be awesome!

Like many here, I would mainly like to see NEW level-specific gimmicks in each of the Zones. But if I had to choose which of the gimmicks I wanted to see return, it would be the flying tops from the Marble Garden Zone from Sonic 3&K. It was, in my opinion, a unique concept that could definately be expanded upon as far as its uses goes.

Hirokazu Yasuhara.

In case anyone doesn't know the significance of that name...

Production History

Sonic the Hedgehog (1991) — Director, Game Planner

Fatal Labyrinth (1991) — Director, Game Planner

Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (1992) — Director, Game Planner, Project, Object Placement

Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (1994) — Director, Lead Game designer

Sonic & Knuckles (1994) — Director, Lead Game designer

Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles (1994) — Director, Lead Game designer

Sonic 3D Blast (1995) — Playfield Design, Saturn Enhancements

Sonic Xtreme (1996) — Head Designer

Sonic R (1997) — Map Design Director

Sega Smash Pack 2 (2000) — Special Thanks

Floigan Brothers: Episode 1 (2001) — Game Designer

Jak 2 (2003) — Game Designer

Jak 3 (2004) — Game Designer

Jak X: Combat Racing (2005) — Game Designer

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (2007) — Game Designer

Afro Samurai (2009) — Special Thanks

There's so many ideas in my head, so I'll just pick a few memorable elements from certain games. I'd like to see some interesting power-ups return, like the never again seen combo-ring from Chaotix (not the rubber band, the thing in the monitor), or the interesting Robotnik power-down. I'll pimp my own concept here and say I want a new shield made of Flickies, like the ones on Super Tails. They owe Sonic for saving their asses in 3D Blast anyways. Remember that pole Badnik in Lava Reef that stole your rings? I'd like to see some more incremental ring loss, that was a cool idea. How about more cinematic backgrounds like the ones in Lava Reef or Sky Sanctuary. What about running on water like in Hydrocity, or skipping over water in a ball like in Aqua Lake? There's really too much to name.

Edited by Cupcake Hedgehog

I post in a two day old topic, and in this forum it feels like a bump! XD

Anyway, first and foremost I would love to see pinball gimmicks return. And as odd as it sounds, I want not only to see a water stage, but one that is as cruel as Labyrinth Zone or Tidal Tempest. (or that one Sonic Triple Trouble level that I forget the name of)

While that tops my wish list, here are some of my all-time favorite gimmicks... while I don't want to see them ALL return, a few of these might be nice:

Sonic 1 - Labyrinth Chase (oh how I hated it!), Scrap Brain (I don't care if other sonic fans complain, if they have an almost direct homage to SBZ1, I will totally geek out), spinning wheel

Sonic 2 - Slot Machines, MCZ tiny crushers, Sky Chase (so want to unlock NSMBWii 7-6!), Spinning walkway

Sonic CD - CCZ "Frog Eggs", WWZ bouncy floor, MMZ Shrink way

Sonic 3 - Waterfall blocks, MGZ Spinners, ICZ Snow Drifts, LBZ Lasers

Sonic and Knuckles - FBZ flame jets, FBZ faux egg capsules, SZ ghosts, SZ rising sand, LRZ2 spinning bars, DEZ gravity

Sonic Rush - Crazy gravity from the last level

Sonic Rush Adventure - Sidescrolling Mine Carts, Pirate fortress Time Gates

There's probably more, but I should stop before I get out of control.

Scene transitions from Sonic 3 & Knuckles. I LOVED getting a short and sweet explanation as to how I got to the next level ( heck, they even explained how you got to the FIRST level ) ...Thinking back on the previous Sonic games, how on earth do you go from Emerald hills green sunny environment to something like chemical plant?And thats just one example.

Also, I really want the return of Eggman being able to outrun even Super Sonic.

What i want the most is super sonic in normal levels, if thats in ill be happy, and that whole lock-on feature sonic 3 & knux had so we can just go through all the episodes in one sitting, and maybe make some of the stuff alot uf us want could be downloadable content, like maybe they could have some contests too see what downlodable features we want or something along those lines.

Scene transitions from Sonic 3 & Knuckles. I LOVED getting a short and sweet explanation as to how I got to the next level ( heck, they even explained how you got to the FIRST level ) ...Thinking back on the previous Sonic games, how on earth do you go from Emerald hills green sunny environment to something like chemical plant?And thats just one example.

Also, I really want the return of Eggman being able to outrun even Super Sonic.

Thats pretty much what I'd like too.

As someone said earlier, level gimmicks. They haven't been quite as relevant in resent games, and I'd love for them to return!

So I was listening to a remix of Azure Lake from Sonic 3, and suddenly I thought "Man, I'd love to see that pretty background and music in Sonic 4" ... So I guess I am saying bring back competition mode from Sonic 3, but don't copy paste it, because it was actually pretty lame. Longer stages for one, the Sonic 3 stages were pretty short.

It's really awesome that they made tracks that were exclusive to competition, but how about throwing in some of courses from story mode? A good 8/8 ratio maybe? ( or many more? ) Split screen mode was nice. It made the graphics miniature instead of squishing them like other games, but an option to play online is cool too. I always longed to see Azure lake in full screen mode. This would require people to be able to play as Knuckles and Tails though, but would anyone complain if they were multiplayer exclu-...scratch that. Just make them optional. ...As much as Im sure everyone would want original courses I want a place that at least resembles Azure Lake in appearance, but not level design, and has the remastered Song. Something about that stage always captivated me even as a 6 year old.