Awoo.

Episodes?

SuperStingray

I think this is something that Sega should answer soon, but what do you think "Episodes" means? I'm not asking whether or not you think it's going to be a full length game, but why would they make Sonic 4: Episode 1, then Sonic 4: Episode 2 when it could just be Sonic 4 then Sonic 5?

It's probably a throw back to Sonic 3 & Knuckles. Giving us parts of the game to complete and make the whole package feel epic.

They're dividing it into episodes because then they can release games in a timely fashion (and maybe release multiple in a single year).

That, and make more money of course. :3

Also, as much as it does work for Mega Man, I think Sonic 5, Sonic 6, Sonic 7 would sound kind of silly. I think it's a great idea to do episodic releases- however, it could also mean they're planning to get lazy and release four to five zone games at a time. Not something I want, anyway. 8/

I like the idea of several installments for this one game. If there's going to be anything less than 7 zones for these installments, they'd better give us more than one episode.

Naming them Sonic 5, 6 etc. would feel like it'd be milking the novelty. They're not seperate games.

EpiSonic makes all the games feel coherent to each other and together they form the Project Needlemouse instead of making all sequels feel like churn outs.

Personally I love this approach. It makes everything feel connected and it can form a bigger story, and at the end of the day when all episodes are released we can look back and say that it was a worthy experience (if the game turns out good ofcourse)

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm expecting to get all planned episodes before the 20th anniversary. When the game was first teased I was wondering what the appropriate length for a retro platformer would be, compared to modern expectations. I wanted 25-30 levels. Now I thought for sure that was a dream, but with episodic release we could see it. Sonic 1 is the shortest at six levels long. Four episodes of Needlemouse and we have the longest 2D game in the series, beating out S3&K. If they wanted to get the Sonic hype rolling early for the 20th celebration, episodes was probably the best way to release this summer. Also, this way they get to see reaction to the game before completing content on the later episodes. Well if they're smart. I dunno why I'm expecting four episodes, did the original rumor/leak say how many?

I believe episodes was the obvious and best route for them to go. There was no way they could have released a full 15+ zone game and ask people for 50-60$ price tag, without adding in a lot of filler content. HuB worlds, cut scences, and gimmicks which would inevitably take away from the experience and cause the game to crash and burn like unleashed. Now we can get the same experience without all the fluff.

The reason they aren't doing sonic 4 and 5 is because they're trying to supply a full length game with a continuous story. As I said above this is the only way to go about realistically doing it.

I hope that the guy who leaked it was episodic was also right about it being 7 zones per episode. By the end of 2 episodes we will have 14 game of classic sonic, and if it goes on to be 3 then it will be 21 zones. That is a lot of content for us to fiddle with. The old games were about a total of 30-40 zones altogether, this game could almost be that alone.

I LOVE The episodic take on the game, for 2 big reasons:

1. It's a throwback to Sonic and Knuckles being a continuation of the Sonic 3 story-arc.

2. While players will have to chalk up some extra dough to get the complete Sonic 4 experience, this approach will hopefully ensure that SEGA will do their best to flesh out this title, rather than hash out Sonic 5 and 6 to capitalize on its success (which is something I REALLY don't wanna see).

With an episodic game, that means shorter games released more frequently. With shorter games, that means less to work on for an overall episode. Less to work on means more time to polish everything to perfection. I hope to see these games as polished and well dressed as they can be.

And remember how you could enter "sonicthehedgehog4-10.com" and it'd link to the same page(now they link to the Sonic 4 page). well add those numbers up. From Sonic 4-10, that'd be 7 episodes. It all makes sense; 7 episodes, 7 Chaos Emeralds.....

But what about if someone tries to play the episodes out of order? How are the Chaos Emeralds gonna be implemented into the game?

If they said it was something along the lines of S2, S3 e SK arc then I believe them. It's good too. They don't need to make everything end well at the end of the game. It has more potential storywise, which was getting quite stall in my opinion.

One reason I like this is that it kind of insures us a disk collection of all episodes in one, giant, "Sonic the Hedgehog 4" package. I'm probably going to be a dick and buy all of the episodes, then buy the box full of each episode, wasting probably $50+ on one 2D game. :(

Also I like how this automatically means that we'll be getting more 2D Sonic than ever, so once we're done and content with Sonic 4: Episode 1, we'll have another right around the corner. If they're going for a somewhat cohesive story ala Sonic 3 & Knuckles it'll be cool to end Episode 1 in suspense of what will happen next, granted that it's at least somewhat interesting and inticing.

Not that I don't plan on doing it anyway, but do you think we would have to have episode 1 downloaded and completed to be able to play episode 2?

Also anyone care to take a guess at the price for each episode. $15 - $20 maybe?

Will we be able to link all the episodes into one long game (like S3&K) or will we have to start up each episode on it's own?

Will the Chaos Emeralds we collect in episode 1 carry over to 2 or will we have to get them in every episode?

This episodic shit brings up a lot of questions. :\

Edited by speedfreak