Awoo.

Should other characters show up?

Diogenes

So we've got our oh-so-very retro Sonic 4 on the way, so retro that it's set just after S3&K and Sonic is the only playable character. But what about everyone else?

Well, anyone from SA onward is right out, as they haven't been introduced yet (also, the fans would riot). Technically they could show up in some noncanon capacity, but I think it's unlikely (again, fans would riot). No Shadow, no Big ( :( ), no Silver, no Cream, etc etc.

The only significant characters that are in this time period (aside from Sonic and Eggman, of course) are Tails, Knuckles, Amy, and the robot Sonics, both Mecha and Metal.

The most likely to appear, in my opinion, is Tails. He's the sidekick, the one Sonic's most likely to bring along, and the one that would provide him the most help. Even if he isn't playable, I'll honestly be surprised if we don't see him piloting the Tornado at some point.

Second most likely would be one of the robots, though I'm not sure which. On the one hand, Metal's a fan favorite who could really use some more appearances, and I don't think anyone would complain about him like they would pretty much any other character. On the other hand, CD (Metal's only appearance at this point in the timeline) isn't mentioned at all in the summary on the website; it's possible this game will ignore it entirely. Mecha Sonic, while not nearly as popular as Metal, does get mentioned as part of the summary of Sonic 2. It's possible that he is one of the creations Eggman plans on reviving...

Next is Knuckles. He's considered part of the "classic trio" so it's worth considering, but if he was in the game...what exactly would he be doing? He doesn't have any particular reason to get involved in Sonic or Eggman's business. Tails is the sidekick, Metal is the evil twin, Amy is the stalker/fangirl, but Knuckles is just a guy. As for working the story specifically to get him in...I'd expect Tails and one of the 'bots to get in first, and by that point working another character in might be breaking the classic "feel".

Amy is last. No one likes Amy (no one ever asks for her to appear, just Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles), and again, the summary ignores CD. Very unlikely.

I wouldn't expect anyone else to have a shot. Even if we put Knuckles Chaotix before this game (unlikely, as the summary makes it sound like this starts immediately after S3&K), they have no connection to Sonic. You'd need to get Knuckles in first, and if he's not too much, the Chaotix are. Mighty and Ray, while Sonic has met them by this point (going by release date, anyway), there's no reason to show up, because they have no identity. They've been gone for ages, and I don't think this'll change it. Fang, like the Chaotix, may not make the time cut; if Triple Trouble is canon it'd have to come after S3&K, as Knuckles is in it (don't ask me to explain why he's fighting Sonic again). And none of these guys are particularly wanted, anyway; it's mostly us long-time fans nerding out over them, and not really consistently across the fanbase, either.

• Thumbs Up 1

I wouldn't mind seeing Knuckles and Tails, although I think it would be best to introduce them in later 'Episodes.' Aside from them, I'd prefer to keep any other good guys out. However, including some notable Badniks would be awesome. The two Mecha Sonics and Metal Sonic would all be awesome!

Given the choices, I'd rather see none. I'm sick and tired of the heaps of praise that Tails, Knuckles, and Amy get when they frankly don't deserve it. So ALL of them can sit this one out.

Unless they go Super. Then they can all come.

Oh and Metal Sonic is exempt because he is badass. I'd rather see Metal Knuckles though.

I agree with Jake's sentiments about Tails and Knuckles showing up later, and I wouldn't mind Amy being an NPC.

What about Fang the Sniper? He shouldn't be immediately excluded, I don't think.

And since we don't know when exactly this takes place relative to the Chaotix (seriously, Tails Adventure/Sky Patrol could be going on right now) maybe the crazy detective agency can make a cameo?

But Metal Sonic should certainly make an appearance. He's a fan favorite, and I'm sure Eggman's not going to be so quick as to put him in that green tube just yet.

I hope that this game doesn't ret-con the hell out of the other games. (with that said, the game may as well have.) :( But I hope at least Tails shows up.

Yeah I would definitely love to see more characters. In fact I am sure we will see more, tails and sonic fly off into the sunset after defeating robotnik on death egg. I am calling the torando gets attacked and sonic and tails split up for episode 1 and we will rejoin with lock on technology with episode 2.

It would be nice though to have an array of downloadable characters ranging from silver-cream just to mess around with, but not have any real involvement in story.

I wouldn't mind Tails and Knuckles showing up as optional playables or story related characters, but not in Episode 1.

With all descriptions concerned the focus on Sonic and Sonic only in this installment seems more than likely be the greater picture here.

I'd like to think there will be three episodes, all of them going by the same formula of Sonic 1 - 3, instead re-introducing the same characters that we met throughout those games.

Only if it benefits the plot/structure of the game.

However I have a sneaky feeling that we'll see Metal Sonic in this title, if the leaked story wasn't enough of a clue, the fact he's had a huge merch boost lately.

Amy is last. No one likes Amy

I do.

However... I would not object to a 1970's trousers mode... or Froggy appearing at the end of an act if you clear it in under 30 seconds doing this...

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh hell yeah. This is the one time where I'd LOVE to see more characters. In future Episodes, I wanna see Tails and Knuckles definitely return. And hell, since this is Sonic 4, why not add a fourth playable character? Preferably a long forgotten classic... maybe?

But I hope Sonic Team doesn't go crazy either. I want the characters to work the same way as they did in Sonic 3, in that they play almost the exact same as Sonic, but due to subtle unique abilities, they can take different paths through levels, that's all.

Edited by EXshad

I wouldn't mind Amy being playable. I figure that she probably would have been well-liked if she'd been both playable featured in a 16-bit game that one didn't have to buy an expensive upgrade to play. So, for me at least, her being playable would her "getting her due," in a way.

On the other hand, I agree that Tails is the most likely to be playable, and he's on the top of my list of priorities. I'm happy enough with the way this game is looking already, but playable Tails would be a nice icing on the proverbial cake.

Sonic the Hedgehog 4 will explain why Mighty the Armadillo dropped off the face of the earth.

Obviously he paid Eggman to perform a very special surgical procedure on him. This is where Rouge the Bat comes from.

In all seriousness, if there are extra characters, it would be interesting if they could reach places Sonic could not.

• Thumbs Up 5

Obviously he paid Eggman to perform a very special surgical procedure on him. This is where Rouge the Bat comes from.

Jeez, did you really need to say that? Now there's coke all over my netbook. :lol:

Seriously, that's comedy gold.

Effing sigg'd.

Im a bit sad at the impossibility of modern characters, Some of them would make great playable characters. Optional of course.

No characters other than Sonic and Eggman SHOULD show up, but the option to play as Tails and Knuckles would be nice. But honestly, I say the more ways to play the game, the better. The fact that characters have been forced onto us in the past gave birth to hostility directed toward a potentially bigger cast, so even optional characters become less likely. I found joy in playing Sonic 1-3 as all 3 of the classic characters ( minus Tails in Sonic 2, seeing as he had no difference in gameplay from Sonic. Tails and Knuckles in Sonic 1 made possible by hackers, whom I thank ) I may have only played it for a little bit, but I loved the different characters play styles in Chaotix. I'd love to be able to play as a solo chaotix character in a classic setting. Amy was never playable in the early days, but she was there. In Sonic Advanced, she was a blast to play as, being the most different.

Im a bit sad at the impossibility of modern characters, Some of them would make great playable characters. Optional of course.

DLC?

Anything is possible.

Mayby a Sky Chase 4(Sonic 2, Adventure, Unleashed, Sonic 4) with Tails stearing the plane would be nice.

Jeez, did you really need to say that? Now there's coke all over my netbook. :lol:

Seriously, that's comedy gold.

Effing sigg'd.

I'm happy I made you happy.:D

It would certainly explain why Rouge knew where to find the Master Emerald, given the events of Knuckles Chaotix.:D

If we do see Tails, I wonder if he'll have more of a chubby look.

My personal opinion? I would like a few of the regulars to show up. Do I think they should do it? Nah, if for no other reason than to get the people who bitch about the supporting cast to shut up for one game.

I have to agree with the indisputable leader of the gang on this one, I defiantly think Tails and Knuckles should be in Sonic 4- but not Episode I.

They could add them into the story in Episode II maybe, then just like with the Mega Drive stuff play through the first episode as either one of them. I'm also kinda hoping Metal Sonic shows up too, maybe he could be a major enemy in the second episode while the third leads up to Sonic's final face-off with Eggman. Amy could make an appearance too somewhere, maybe even the Chaotix in a later episode! There's so much stuff they could do with these episodes... though I have a feeling the first is simply going to be Sonic vs Eggman- then once that's out the way, we'll start to see some more interesting stuff. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/tongue.gif)

Personally the only one I care about appearing somewhere, whether it be episode 1 or 2 is Knuckles. He is the only one that I feel offered up a different enough playstyle from Sonic back on the genesis games to warrant being in this and be playable somewhere. Tails had his flying, sure, but Knuckles could climb walls and glide, which surprisingly changes the way you can play the game. So thats what I'd love to see Knuckles appear somewhere, or eventually be playable :D

I would actually love to see a playable Amy, but I will rule this out considering this takes place before Adventure, when she decides to become more independent instead of being just a "damsel in distress".

Having said that the only ones who could appear here are Tails or some very obscure characters (wich would make some fans happy, but it will look odd if they suddenly interact with Sonic like if they were "best buddies").

Knuckles is in his island and I hope he stays there (not that I hate Knux, I love him, but I don't like watching him ignoring his guardian duties just to go in an adventure, me'h, maybe it's part of his character now, but that doesn't means I have to like it =/ ).

Edited by imarafan

I would guess that holding out Tails and Knux will pretty much ensure the hype (and the sales) of the future installments. It makes sense why we don't see them.

I guess that I would love to have both guys back for 4, but as long as episode II is retroactive (lock-on) then I won't complain about it. In fact, that would extend the re-playability for those whom are complaining about that potential problem.

I'll have an even better feeling about it if we have to wait less than a year for part II.

I'd only accept Tails and Knuckles in this game. Only because of the fact that continuing from Sonic 3, it wouldn't make sense to exclude Tails. As for Knuckles, completely optional character (not DLC plz), mainly because of story reasons. But Tails I could see playing a part in the story and so I would be just happy with these two there. Anyone else would just have to be DLC (if they even bother to) because it wouldn't make sense (story wise) to have Shadow, Silver, and etc in this. But as DLC optional chars, sure, as long as they're on the BACK BURNER and not made during development of Sonic and the game itself.