Awoo.

Sonic 4: Is Anyone Remotely Disappointed?

Greg the Fancat

To be fair it would have seemed like a much bigger deal if we already weren't (almost) sure the game was going to be Sonic the Hedgehog 4 from that leak a little while back. I think this teasers job was to spring Sonic 4 on us after having 15 years pass since Sonic 3. The leak took away a lot of the impact the teaser would have given if Sonic 4 was just announced out of the blue. I mean before that leak I'm sure everyone fantasized about it being Sonic 4, but I don't think many people actually thought it would really happen.

Anyway I'm sure when we get a real trailer it will be a fair bit more impressive.

Am I disappointed? Eh, I guess so to a certain extent. I was hoping to see the old school designs again, but I'm guessing that Sega didn't want to make modern Sonic fans feel alienated. Judging simply by the 3 seconds of gameplay we saw, this game does seem to look like somewhat like an HD version of Sonic Rush. But it's still way too early to be jumping to conclusions. Sega promised a retro styled Sonic game and they've already introduced many classic elements such as badniks, checkered hills, and Sonic-Eggman sign posts. Though even if this game does have a bit of a modern feel to it, I'll still be looking forward to the game just for the simple fact its a Sonic game.

If everything is recycled why aren't you playing the old games? Save yourself some money.

Because I want some fresh level structures that I don't already know extremely well to run through. Or was that supposed to be a rhetorical question without a real answer?

And, for the record, I'm not trying to say that this game is going to be entirely recycled or that I want it to be recycled, but that I'll be ok with it being mostly recycled if they get the gameplay right. And, furthermore, if they DO get the gameplay right in Episode 1, I will fully expect plenty of fresh content in later episodes.

I'm sure by the time we see actual gameplay and/or actually play it ourselves it'll feel much more like the old games, granted that the momentum based gameplay is still intact like SEGA reps continue to promise, and the level design is half decent.

I'm not because I'm of the opinion that there's no way in hell any of us know enough about the game to be swayed either way. That's why I'm entirely neutral to it.

Three pieces of concept art, one jingle, and two seconds of gameplay footage are not enough for me shout 'Yay' or 'Nay' and they shouldn't be enough for anyone else either.

This a thousand times.

My only real concerns about the game are the implementation of the Homing Attack and physics, and we still haven't seen enough to really judge it by. We have three seconds of actual gameplay to work with here, so we can only infer so much about how it plays. It can still be anything at this point, good or bad.

Also, Phos, sorry if I've been particularly harsh on you lately. I know you're not exactly happy about what SEGA's doing with Sonic 4, but I'll just say that it's really not all that bad. The way I see it, everyone has been expecting something different from this game, and I guess your expectations just haven't been met, and in honesty I can't truly fault you for that.

Eh, I get angry fast and I forgive fast.

Well let's see:

*Classic Badniks are returning

*Classic elements in general are returning

*Classic gimmicks are returning (Such as the Sonic 2 halfpipe gap thing)

*Colorful and bizzar visuals akin to the classic games are used instead of realistic aestetics based on actual geography from places earth

*Spin-dash and other classic moves return

*Sign posts, checkered hills, and flags at the ends of stages return

*Momentum based gameplay is being hinted at but hasn't been 100% confirmed yet

There really isn't enough footage or info that solidifies whether or not this game is worthy of the title "Sonic 4" or not, however, besides the use of modern designs everything seems to be classic enough that it wouldn't look too out of place in a Genesis game, had the visuals been high definition.

Also, I started out slightly disappointed because it didn't look exactly like the classics, but then I realised how stupid it was to base my entire opinion of a game based off of less than 5 seconds of gameplay.

I'd expect Sonic 4 to have:

New badniks (Like every other numbered Sonic game)

New level themes (Like every other numbered Sonic game)

Noodlemouse

Not have the homing attack (In a 2D game? seriously?)

Not have Sonic Rush esque physics (LOst, the lead programmer on Sonic 2 HD who has been around the scene since Simon Wai's Sonic 2 Beta Page, believes that it does, and I'm inclined to agree with someone of his expertise*)

Have a new special stage (Something about the Sonic 1 stage bing visible in some part of that trailer).

But that's not the end of it. Sonic 3K also had Tails and Knuckles playable, as well as Sonic & Tails co op. Then there's the matter of the "sure is rehash in here". Every badnik we've sen so far is just another one they ripped from the classics and then drew a bunch extra of lines on.

The trailer only shows a few seconds of gameplay, but that's enough tell several things: This game's camera moves like the one in Sonic Rush, this game's graphics work the same way as those in Sonic Rush (2D levels with 3D models. Also, fewer layers of parallax than the Genesis games had), it includes level tiles (Convex quarter pipes) primarily associated with Sonic Rush, and it includes many of the same throwbacks as Rush (Emerald Hill corkscrew in a Green Hill style level), includes most of the same moves (Sonic Rush had the spin dash and homing attack). Is it really such a stretch to assume that this game is going to play like some kind of slowed down Sonic Rush? What's more, we already have reason to believe that Iizuka is directing this game. Game Stop is interviewing him, after all.

*See that convex quarter pipe at the start of the video? Those things are all over Sonic Rush, and Sonic basically ignores gravity while he's on them. LOst believes this to be the explanation for how Sonic reached the top so easily.

Because nothing says classic Sonic like... an orchestra?

More classic? No, I said better. But regardless, Sonic CD, Sonic 1,

all had a taste here and there. Yeah, it's coming off a Genesis sound chip, but it has facsimile brass winds, drums, and what sounds like some other string instrument, or maybe it's just a synth, but the harp in Compsense's version is clearly mimicking the last instrument from the Sonic & Knuckles theme. Interesting, Sonic 3's soundtrack is a bit of an outlier in this regard, but it still has the pure synthy tunes people remember Sonic for. Edited by Phos
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think I'm the ONLY person on EARTH to actually like that sonic still has his green eyes and figure from the new style. It's his LOOK now. shit changes, that's life. And other than people bitching about green eyes and longer spikes............ there's really NOTHING to judge this game off of.. at ALL. I'm going to say what people yelled at me for when I expressed my dislike for the old games being remade to the DS. You don't like it.. DON'T buy it. PERIOD. noone is making anyone buy this.... so really.... it's just that. I'm not really looking forward to this game........ it's just there. When it comes, I'll play it. And if it's good I'll like it.. if not... then I won't. It's as simple as that.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

I think I'm the ONLY person on EARTH to actually like that sonic still has his green eyes and figure from the new style. It's his LOOK now. shit changes, that's life. And other than people bitching about green eyes and longer spikes............ there's really NOTHING to judge this game off of.. at ALL. I'm going to say what people yelled at me for when I expressed my dislike for the old games being remade to the DS. You don't like it.. DON'T buy it. PERIOD. noone is making anyone buy this.... so really.... it's just that. I'm not really looking forward to this game........ it's just there. When it comes, I'll play it. And if it's good I'll like it.. if not... then I won't. It's as simple as that.

Wow you are either lost or really really really late to the conversation. Only a small number of people on this forum want the classic look to return. You're in good company. The majority are fine with the current design.

You know I really would appreciate new Badniks. I love level specific enemies. So new levels means new Badniks right?......right?

Only thing I'm upset about is the fact that they named this Sonic 4. Otherwise my level of excitement is about the same as any other new Sonic game.

Yeah. I'm not particularly pleased that much.

I'm going to go into detail why this game is not particularly making me happy. Quoted from Emerald Coast Comics:

To add to the Motobug, it looked very flat too, much like Flash animation. It was a serious turnoff and lacked character. The design of it is awesome, but it looks too much like Flash animation. Just because it's a robot doesn't mean it can't have character.

I don't think Greg will be pleased about you posting what he said as your opinion.

Unleass you're Greg and changed your nickname. My apologies if that's the case but he uses that nickname everywhere, that's why I ssuspected.

Me, knighting for Greg. Ah, how the world is funny. But I'm fair. Even if we don't agree in anyhing I can't allow anyone to take advantage of him.

___

All this recycled junk really pisses me off. On one hand people cry because it rehashes zones, badniks and bosses but then make petitions to rehash a model and there're these people crying over the grass not being the same in the sega forums.

Edited by redmenace
  • Thumbs Up 1

To be honest, after seeing that this game does NOT reuse 16-bit graphics and includes more of a mixture of classic and modern Sonic, I'm actually MORE hyped for this game than I was before. Homing Attack? Adds a little variety if you want to use it. Otherwise, you don't have to. No big deal.

The complaints about design I don't really see any point in. Just something I new that classic fanboys would complain about--its not THE classic Sonic, so even if it plays exactly like a classic Sonic game, that one aspect will ruin it (well, that's what people complaining about it make it sound like, anyway).

As far as the gameplay itself... now that's a different story. We saw about six seconds of footage which lets us garnish how the graphics will look like, and also show a sneak peak at badniks/the first level's design. That's about it. I'll give you that point to a small extent--if it doesn't PLAY like the classics, there's no point in promoting it as a sequel to the classics. But we really don't know that yet, do we? We've barely seen anything. Just wait for more info.

The only thing I'm disappointed about is that Segaa gave us 3 secconds of gameplay and we have to speculate on it. Not really a good thing but we discuss everything so yeah.

I wanted to see more...

I'm kinda disappointed that the game is looking like a rehash of the classics than an actual sequel, but that's really more of a gut feeling than anything else.

I'm more so indifferent, seeing as how none of the original members of Sonic Team are the ones behind the making of this game, and that while the badniks are in the style I asked for (although I have a few quips with the eyes and such, but that's just the modern half of me talking :lol:).

I can't say that this game is going to be awesome, nor can I say this game'll suck. I can't exactly get my hopes up either. The only thing that actually had any interest to me were the badniks and nothing else.

Disappointed? Verily.

To be frank, there's very little to go with, but the teaser looks like shit, seriously. First, there's the level itself. The artistic direction for the level couldn't be more screwed up. It's composed of 3D objects made into flat 2D images that, when used in the parallax scrolling, look like paper cut-outs and kill the illusion. In other words, the parallax looks like shit. The colours in the background look similar. And everything looks dead rather than vibrant and colourful. Everything in the foreground looks like plastic, for pete's sake.

Also, when we consider that the the animations in the gameplay vid are just walking animations... Sonic clears a corkscrew and possibly a loop at what the game considers to be walking speed. And Phos noted that they're likely using Rush physics. What the hell?

Also, I have to echo the concerns about the possibility that they're gonna rehash the classic stuff in a modern wrapper. Even Capcom, the kings of remaking the same game over and over with extra bells and whistles (Street Fighter II, anyone?) did not do this with Mega Man 9/10, new games in a retro wrapper. It would be a insult to find that "Sonic 4" is a bloody rehash of everything from the "classic" era with just the homing attack added in.

Edited by The Sniper
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Sonic clears a corkscrew and possibly a loop at what the game considers to be walking speed.
Sonic 2 does this as well.

I'm disappointed with the fanbase.

To be able to stir up all these crazy-ass speculations and "disappointed expectations" over a teaser trailer which is doing exactly what it is meant to do, tease, is hilarious yet extremely saddening. Especially all the "it looks like Sonic Rush" arguements.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

How could I be disappointed because I haven't seen more than just a small glimpse of the actual game? Three seconds of in-game footage isn't enough to make me disappointed. I'm confident and sure this will be a fun game.

I'm only disappointed in the auto-pessimist side of the fanbase right now. The funniest thing is when you guys are saying it uses Sonic Rush's physics. Er... how can you tell? Sonic running =/= Sonic Rush physics. There's absolutely no proof that it's using the Rush engine whatsoev--

Oh right. Because it uses modern Sonic's model. My bad. I thought it was based on something completely rational.

• Thumbs Up 3

Disappointed? No, of course not.

It's Sonic 4, in 1080p. Why the hell would I be upset?

Exactly. QFT.

I've stayed off these forums to hide from the flamewars (the only reason I posted on Retro was to lol at the overly purist fanboys).

Me? Disappointed? Are you kidding? This is Sonic the Hedgehog 4. It's what I've always wanted. And I don't care that modern Sonic is in the game (I don't have a problem with modern Sonic, although I would like classic Sonic as DLC), and I'm sure I could ignore the Homing Attack, as it will probably be minimal anyways. This is showing me surreal and cartoony worlds coming back with checkers and palmtrees and crazy level geometry. I'm seeing google-eyed badniks fuse together with the more detailed design styles of Sonic Nextgen. I'm seeing an overly high chance of my beloved "spinball physics" gameplay returning. I'm hearing (improved) title screen music. This is my dreams come true (pun intended).

And I gotta agree with Dreadknux here. I can't really see how this game is supposed to have the same physics as Sonic Rush. Sonic's top speed on that clip was about equal to Sonic 2's walking speed, and we haven't even seen him go top speed yet according to RubyEclipse, so how do we even know he's sticking with his recurring "wing" run? And Sonic has always uncurled from rolling AND done a power-walk on the corkscrew (unless if I'm mistaken about the first part; because I know the second part is full truth).

• Thumbs Up 1

Also, when we consider that the the animations in the gameplay vid are just walking animations... Sonic clears a corkscrew and possibly a loop at what the game considers to be walking speed.

Sonic 2 does this as well.

As shown in this poor-quality video I just made.

Also, why are some people "disappointed with the fanbase"? Maybe I've lurked on GameSpot/FAQS for too long,

but I don't expect much from the fanbase in general (not trying to bash anyone, but have you seen the Sonic forums

on those sites?)

EDIT@Indigo Dude: Meh, my fault too. :P I should have made it more clear that I was illustrating that you could

go through corkscrews relatively slowly in Sonic 2 as well.

Edited by insertnamehere

Is it doing this in this poor-quality video I just made?

Also, why are some people "disappointed with the fanbase"? Maybe I've lurked on GameSpot/FAQS for too long,

but I don't expect much from the fanbase in general (not trying to bash anyone, but have you seen the Sonic forums

on those sites?)

That's really not the fastest Sonic can go in that game.

At all.

That's just him jogging.

EDIT: I think I may have misinterpreted your post. Sorry ^^"

Edited by Indigo Dude

I'm only disappointed in the auto-pessimist side of the fanbase right now. The funniest thing is when you guys are saying it uses Sonic Rush's physics. Er... how can you tell? Sonic running =/= Sonic Rush physics. There's absolutely no proof that it's using the Rush engine whatsoev--

Oh right. Because it uses modern Sonic's model. My bad. I thought it was based on something completely rational.

Well fine. Replace the word "physics" in my tirade with the word "graphics".

That we care to make this distinction does nothing to absolve the fact that we haven't seen a single new badnik or new piece of level design. Hell, even the 1337 h1ddeN sekr1t Sonic Retro found in the model layering is just Launch Base Zone's pulley!

The fact is that SEGA seem to have utterly misinterpreted the call for retro-revisitation. "New adventure that looks like the classics, plz" seems to have been heard as "We want a game that USES THE EXACT SAME THINGS we had in 1994"!

And then they even screw that up by using the modern model which the retro fans often dislike!?

Not a good sign, man. Not a good sign.

Edited by Frozen Nitrogen
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1