Awoo.

Sonic 4: Is Anyone Remotely Disappointed?

Greg the Fancat

I'm not disappointed by the trailer, the new game or even that they have ditched my beloved 3d Sonic game style. No the game looks great. My one problem with it is that it's DLC. I can't get on the net with my PS3 so I'll never be able to play it. I wish I could though. I felt so unhappy when they said coming to Playstation Network. I really like to be able to see and hold my games and now I can't.

Still I must say Sega did impress with that trailer. Rock on!

Well fine. Replace the word "physics" in my tirade with the word "graphics".

That we care to make this distinction does nothing to absolve the fact that we haven't seen a single new badnik or new piece of level design. Hell, even the 1337 h1ddeN sekr1t Sonic Retro found in the model layering is just Launch Base Zone's pulley!

The fact is that SEGA seem to have utterly misinterpreted the call for retro-revisitation. "New adventure that looks like the classics, plz" seems to have been heard as "We want a game that USES THE EXACT SAME THINGS we had in 1994"!

And then they even screw that up by using the modern model which the retro fans often dislike!?

I honestly think that's just Sega's marketing game at the moment. What do you do when you want to assure people that your all-new game is going to be following elements from past games? You show them a shitload of stuff that was seen in past games. It has been 16 years, after all. If there is any new material (not suggesting there is, but there's nothing to suggest that there isn't) it'll be shown soon enough.

Yes, I'm disappointed that it's not going to be on PC and thus I'm not going to be able to play it.

THIS!

:-(

Otherwise I'm pretty much excited, since one of my few irks about the trailer is already pointed out and in process of beeing fixed (AFAIK).

I honestly think that's just Sega's marketing game at the moment. What do you do when you want to assure people that your all-new game is going to be following elements from past games? You show them a shitload of stuff that was seen in past games. It has been 16 years, after all. If there is any new material (not suggesting there is, but there's nothing to suggest that there isn't) it'll be shown soon enough.

I hope you're right. I did read someone's post... somewhere? (lol subforumisation makes quoting MORE difficult :P ) that said a teaser trailer is supposed to wow you with the best "shock of the new" a game has, but on the converse I guess Noodlemouse's "shock of the new" is SUPPOSED to be the nostalgic comfort of Genesis-like repetition.

So... hmm. This is one of those strikingly rare occasions where both sides to an argument actually do make sense.

I suppose in this case I shall attempt to suspend judgement, then. But the haunting spectre of '06 lurks ever in the back of my mind, where the completed game was actually worse than the alpha-build trailers suggested.

*shudder*

• Thumbs Up 1

I guess one should rather call it blistering fear instead of disappointment. xD

After reading the comment by Brad on the front page, I do have to say, even with only a minimum amount of footage, there's well reason for many of us to worry. Like I said in another thread before, many people are already "reading between the lines" and trying to understand how Sega is thinking. And what we gather out of that isn't always too positive.

But anyway, I think it's better to start thinking now before it's too late. Again.

It's too hard to say. I am definitely dissapointed with how little we saw... otherwise Im just as happy for this as I was when I saw the first screenshot of NSMB DS. That's saying something. I can't be dissapointed until I play the real game. ( The first ever Trailer for Twilight princess got me way too excited just to collect tears of light in apocalyptic Kakariko )

I don't think Greg will be pleased about you posting what he said as your opinion.

Unleass you're Greg and changed your nickname. My apologies if that's the case but he uses that nickname everywhere, that's why I ssuspected.

Me, knighting for Greg. Ah, how the world is funny. But I'm fair. Even if we don't agree in anyhing I can't allow anyone to take advantage of him.

___

All this recycled junk really pisses me off. On one hand people cry because it rehashes zones, badniks and bosses but then make petitions to rehash a model and there're these people crying over the grass not being the same in the sega forums.

Actually you're right. I am Greg. I forgot to change my name back after my strong liking for Rock & Rule (cheap advertising says you should watch it. It's awesome).

And... for once, I'm surprised. Hmm.... Us agreeing on something? And... Wow. You're standing up for me?

I'm not sure how to take this. I never really thought that you had a deep respect for me. Goes to show how much I've been missing from people's character... Damn, I feel terrible for this.

---------------

I saw Brad Flick's opinion piece a while ago. I quite frankly agree. With the promise of it being Sonic 4, this is rather a letdown from presentation to the gameplay. Yeah, I really do want the classic Model, but SEGA should have noted that we also would've loved to see a hybrid of the two. We could've had ivory green eyes and the metallic soles on the feet while have shorter spines and being short like he was in Sonic CD. It would've been bliss, but instead they used the current modern design. I'm sorry. That is a disappointment. The only reason Mario doesn't offend me is that Mario's design changes are more subtle or have always been there in the box art. Mario always blue eyes ever since the classic Mario Bros. titles. Sonic never had green eyes until Sonic 3's Super model came in. Even then, I think the reason his eyes change to green is because of the absorbed power of the Chaos Emeralds and it's reflected in his eyes. In fact... I liked it better when Super had green eyes instead of red. The Master Emerald is green, not red. Red never occurs as the main honcho of the Chaos Emeralds color, it was green. The first emerald you got was always green. It only makes sense for Super to have bright electric green eyes.

Yes, I admit, I do sound ridiculous, but quite frankly aesthetics are also necessary to consider in this game. Quite frankly, Brad Flick nailed it this morning. We wanted the design that was in Sonic's glory days. Not the modern design.

Having listened to Brad Flick's remix of the intro theme on the Sonic News page and seeing it play over what I consider to be much better title screen artwork for Sonic, I have to say, I'm starting feel a slightly cheated in this regard! Granted, in the grand scheme of things this is only a minor issue (for those who even care), but nevertheless, I think it would provide a nice aethetic improvement on both counts.

I must say, I am actually pleasantly surprised by how many people seem to agree with me on both these points, I really hope Sega take them on board.

Edited by b_boult

Having listened to Brad Flick's remix of the intro theme on the Sonic News page and seeing it play over what I consider to be much better title screen artwork for Sonic, I have to say, I'm starting feel a slightly cheated in this regard!

Tweaker made the remix, not I. I just made the article that Greg was talking about.

Go give Tweaker a high-fucking-five.

• Thumbs Up 1

All this recycled junk really pisses me off. On one hand people cry because it rehashes zones, badniks and bosses but then make petitions to rehash a model and there're these people crying over the grass not being the same in the sega forums.

The thing is that the one factor fans wanted EXACTLY like ye olden days was Sonic's model (Well, OK, two things: Eggman's model too).

And that is the one (two) thing that isn't EXACTLY the same in this trailer.

As I said in the Downloadabe Classic Sonic thread, promising a "Game for the retro fans" and then not putting in the retro fans' cause célèbre makes a dire implication that Sonic Team doesn't really know what it's trying to do with this whole "nostalgia appeasement" strategy.

• Thumbs Up 1

As I said in the Downloadabe Classic Sonic thread, promising a "Game for the retro fans" and then not putting in the retro fans' cause célèbre makes a dire implication that Sonic Team doesn't really know what it's trying to do with this whole "nostalgia appeasement" strategy.

Wasn't New Super Mario Bros. made specifically for the retro fans as well?

And to quote myself from the "What's in a Name?" topic, cause I honestly feel that no one has brought this point up yet.

Sonic 4 seems to be an exception to the NSMB and Megaman 9 format of retro styled games these days. In this case, it looks like it's going to be a mix of the two formats.

NSMB in terms of graphics and design being the modern look done in the spirit of the classic games,

and Megaman 9 in terms of the game being meant as a continuation of the classic games.

Hell, even the 1337 h1ddeN sekr1t Sonic Retro found in the model layering is just Launch Base Zone's pulley!

Ironic how even though you people have the eyes of a fucking double eagle, you did not notice that Sonic sprang up into the air, and landed onto the pulley while moving, which carried him across like a real life pulley, suggesting that Sonic transferred his MOMENTUM to the pulley which thrusted it forward across. The pulleys in Launch Base move automatically, and are not affected by momentum.

It's not JUST Launch Base Zone's pulley, it's

LIKE Launch Base Zone's pulley, BUT.

Edited by Black Spy

Actually you're right. I am Greg. I forgot to change my name back after my strong liking for Rock & Rule (cheap advertising says you should watch it. It's awesome).

And... for once, I'm surprised. Hmm.... Us agreeing on something? And... Wow. You're standing up for me?

I'm not sure how to take this. I never really thought that you had a deep respect for me. Goes to show how much I've been missing from people's character... Damn, I feel terrible for this.

Ah, my bad, it is you. Just think it's all a bastard manipulation ploy or something if it makes you feel bad. Don't.

Look, just because we don't see eye to eye in close to everything Sonic or you annoy me with your SatAM/Sally antics it doesn't mean I hate your anything. I hate your opinion and that's a difference.

The thing is that the one factor fans wanted EXACTLY like ye olden days was Sonic's model (Well, OK, two things: Eggman's model too).

And that is the one (two) thing that isn't EXACTLY the same in this trailer.

It said HD and return to the roots in gameplay. You guys extrapolated wrong.

I understand all of those expectations, I wanted classic Sonic too. I also agree it's getting too rehashed, but it might just be the first zone, for that nostalgia's sake. And it's three second fotage. I'm worried about the homing attack quite a bit. But I won't make this shitstorm over it. I didn't wait 15 years to bitch about Sonic's dashing green eyes or the plastic look of grass. I waited 15 years for a rich and varied environment I can interact with along with physics.

Wow. I'm more excited about the fan made stuff than what's currently been shown in the actual game. The remade Sonic 4 logo and the title screen remix are just what I was expecting from Sonic 4. Seriously, these DO NOT change the game play experience in any way, and the game will more than likely be an intense speed based platformer with fun level gimmicks. However, these minor details are what make or break a game. Right now, the level style looks perfect, the badniks look amazing, but more than the music sample, it's the Sonic model that doesn't do it for me.

Now, I can live with classic Sonic not being used, but the current model looks ugly. After speaking to a few members on here, it's because the game doesn't appear to be using the Hedgehog Engine, which is what makes the model look ten times better. I've noticed in a screenshot or two that Sonic appears to have cel shading. I'd love to have a proper look at this model on the Sonic 4 site, rather than the one we have now.

As for the music, Tweaker's remix is now the official theme in my mind, and will be the one I think of when I think of Sonic 4 (atleast for now, anyway).

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm obviously disappointed. Ever since I heard of Megaman 9 I knew it would be possible to make a 16-bit Sonic 4, I wanted it so bad. Then when I heard of "Project Needlemouse", I was worried cause I don't know what they were going to do with this game. Now what they did with the presentation was exactly what I feared right from the start. They made Sonic 4 look like what is SHOULDN'T have been. When that fanmade title screen was made, that was EXACTLY what I wanted to see and pretty much anyone else who saw it truly agrees. I always wanted a Sonic 4, but this is NOT the Sonic 4 I've been dreaming of. What's worse, they've already used recycled elements from the earlier games, which has NEVER been done in any of the other sequels. I also wondered what a better looking version of the Sonic 3 Sonic would look like, but I guess I've been dreaming this whole time.

I do know for a fact that there are dozens upon dozens upons dozens of Sonic fans who agree with me and who have the same opinion as me. Sonic 4 maye play like the previous games, but it's still no Sonic 1, 2, and S3&K. Oh well, my 16-bit Sonic 4 hopes have been permanently ripped to shreds.

However, I'll still check this game out since we haven't seen enough of how the game is like.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Wow you are either lost or really really really late to the conversation. Only a small number of people on this forum want the classic look to return. You're in good company. The majority are fine with the current design.

You know I really would appreciate new Badniks. I love level specific enemies. So new levels means new Badniks right?......right?

I think I'm late...... I'm kindof in the middle of moving from chicago to Wis. so yeah, I haven't really been around much. :c

I'm not disappointed at the GAMEPLAY, despite being a couple of seconds. The details interested me surprisingly, and maybe I'll take a stab at it someday.

What I'm really disappointed is the amount of fans bitching and moaning about the Modern model, the "waddling," and how the game appears to be Rush-esque. *headdesk* People these days...

Seriously, these DO NOT change the game play experience in any way, and the game will more than likely be an intense speed based platformer with fun level gimmicks. However, these minor details are what make or break a game.

Either you worded that horribly wrong or that is one hell of a hypocritical comment.

I'm only disappointed in the auto-pessimist side of the fanbase right now. The funniest thing is when you guys are saying it uses Sonic Rush's physics. Er... how can you tell? Sonic running =/= Sonic Rush physics. There's absolutely no proof that it's using the Rush engine whatsoev--

:|

The trailer only shows a few seconds of gameplay, but that's enough tell several things: This game's camera moves like the one in Sonic Rush, this game's graphics work the same way as those in Sonic Rush (2D levels with 3D models. Also, fewer layers of parallax than the Genesis games had), it includes level tiles (Convex quarter pipes) primarily associated with Sonic Rush, and it includes many of the same throwbacks as Rush (Emerald Hill corkscrew in a Green Hill style level), includes most of the same moves (Sonic Rush had the spin dash and homing attack). Is it really such a stretch to assume that this game is going to play like some kind of slowed down Sonic Rush? What's more, we already have reason to believe that Iizuka is directing this game. Game Stop is interviewing him, after all.

*See that convex quarter pipe at the start of the video? Those things are all over Sonic Rush, and Sonic basically ignores gravity while he's on them. LOst believes this to be the explanation for how Sonic reached the top so easily.

Wasn't New Super Mario Bros. made specifically for the retro fans as well?

Yes... and Mario looked the same as ever.

Edited by Phos
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 2

So does Sonic... I don't see the problem here :blink:

I can agree with you in the rest of the post though (I can but I won't right now, because right now that's just especulation, but it sounds legit enough).

Is it really such a stretch to assume that this game is going to play like some kind of slowed down Sonic Rush?

Yeah, it's a HUGE stretch. A VERY HUGE stretch.

That's funny. I don't remember seeing Mario in red trousers and a brown shirt in New Super Mario Bros.

I think the outcry this game is getting from the fans is just absolutely amazing. You dissect 3 seconds of footage, which include Sonic spinning into a winding path and running, and somehow this gives you clear insight that the game is a slowed down Sonic Rush. No, wait, it's a charmless carbon copy of the old games. No, wait, it's something else that's equally disappointing. As long as it's not good, the entirely faith-based assumption is considered solid. After all, this game couldn't possibly be any good because Sonic has green eyes, wobbly spikes, the levels use prerendered tiles, and the game isn't composed of 16-bit graphics.

You guys are like Christians. There's a million different sects that decipher the footage thrown at us in various ways, and come to the conclusion that the game sucks. Perhaps I'll start filing you people into subgroups of the "Sourpuss" division of Sonic fans.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

That's funny. I don't remember seeing Mario in red trousers and a brown shirt in New Super Mario Bros.

I think the outcry this game is getting from the fans is just absolutely amazing. You dissect 3 seconds of footage, which include Sonic spinning into a winding path and running, and somehow this gives you clear insight that the game is a slowed down Sonic Rush. No, wait, it's a charmless carbon copy of the old games. No, wait, it's something else that's equally disappointing. As long as it's not good, the entirely faith-based assumption is considered solid. After all, this game couldn't possibly be any good because Sonic has green eyes, wobbly spikes, the levels use prerendered tiles, and the game isn't composed of 16-bit graphics.

You guys are like Christians. There's a million different sects that decipher the footage thrown at us in various ways, and come to the conclusion that the game sucks. Perhaps I'll start filing you people into subgroups of the "Sourpuss" division of Sonic fans.

Dude I am so not a sourpuss. I hate sour stuff.

Yeah, it's a HUGE stretch. A VERY HUGE stretch.

I have precious little to suggest otherwise, and that precious little amounts some random allusion to momentum from the Blognik.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1