Awoo.

The Running Animation

G-Force

Take a look at this.

RubyEclipse has officially stated that the running animation we saw in the trailer wasn't Sonic's full speed running animation, and that the actual animation is something closer to what we'd remember from Sonic 3 & Knuckles or Sonic CD. Now, to me, that makes it obvious that it'll be some sort of "wheel 'o' feet," but it could be either a classic circle or the figure eight. What do you all think?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• G-Force

• Thirsty Pocket

• AdventChild

• Semi-colon e

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't mind either the "wheel-o-feet" or "figure-eight" style, but if Sonic runs like he does nowadays, I wouldn't be too disappointed.

As long as he's fast. :P

Edited by Indigo Dude

Yeah anyone who stopped crying for 2 seconds and watched the actual gameplay footage could see it looks very smooth when he is going quicker. In fact I think that was even slowed down. So yeah we will see some improvement when "real" footage is released.

I'm really hoping that they manage to encorperate the wheel of feet in this, the more classic elements the better, even little things. So far he just kind of has a generic running animation, which isn't bad and I really won't care in the long run, but it'd absolutely thrill me if they included the wheel of feet animation in this. I mean, they don't have to worry about it looking awkward because Sonic will always be on a side view like in Brawl, so I think it's pretty possible we'll see it in this game. I mean we're getting TV power-ups, rotating flowers, checkered hills, spinning flags at the end of the level, why can't we get spinning feet too?

They need to make a running animation that has Sonic really pumping before going full speed. Like in Advance 2. Feels nice and intense.

I find myself thinking that, since the trailer didn't have the full speed animation in it, it might be something a little bit special. That is, either it wasn't ready yet because they wanted it to be just right when they showed it, or because they thought it was special enough to hold off on showing it in order to build tension and eventually hype. And that all says to me that they might be working on reviving the figure eight in an actual Sonic game.

I previously stated this in the locked Sonic 4 topic but i guess it was overlooked. I'm guessing we get the original running animation and the peel out, I'm not sure why but I have a bit of a feeling in my gut...

And with that the only issue I had with the trailer is resolved. Wheel legs or figure eight is fine with me.

My feelings exactly. The only downside of the trailer to me was that run, but now we know it's not his full-speed one all my doubts are fading away, replaced by lesser concerns like whether revisiting old Badnik designs will quash any attempts at creating new ones.

I would have liked it if they didn't use the wheel-o-feet, but a running animation that gave the illusion of the wheel-o-feet. Example: Knuckles in Sonic Adventure 2. Get a good side view of him running, easiest to do in meteor herd, or the Ghost Boss fight. He looks like he has wheel-o-feet, but pausing it, you can see that he doesnt.

Wheel legs or figure 8 is fine with me, just as long as he is fast and feels fast while playing.

Edited by AdventChild

I'd hope for figure 8 as that's MUCH cooler than the normal wheel of feet, but even if it's something like Sonic 06's I'll be happy.

Now I'm wondering about another detail. Will he be running with his hands balled up like times of old, or will they be out behind him. Since they're going modern I hope the hands swing. I'm not really a fan of hands-out-behind Sonic. But you know, it won't be the end of the world. I just think it looks dumb.

Yes! The wheel of feet!

It'd actually be pretty awesome if they did his run like off Sadv1. In other words, the wheel of feet but with "wing" spread arm position. Because really I can't see modern Sonic putting his arms in that jog position when running; it'd look a little awkward.