Awoo.

A Retail Release of Sonic 4?

Blue Blood

So S4E1 is a download title, and all logic would say that the next episode(s) would also be. But, I wonder, would anyone here actually like a full retail release of the entire Sonic 4 series? There's no doubt in my mind that SEGA wouldn't do it, it's just something that I thought about. There's something about owning a physical copy of a game with the box and manual that DL titles can't compete with.

Any takers?

If there is, they'd better tell us in advance and not make us pay for the downloads first.

Edited by Indigo Dude

If there is, they'd better tell us in advance and not make us pay for the downloads first.

Why? lol

if you've downloaded it, you have the game, the boxed version will be no differant.

Why? lol

if you've downloaded it, you have the game, the boxed version will be no differant.

Ah, you know what it's like. Afterall...

1d7100a7.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

Why? lol

I'd rather have a physical copy, kthnxby.

I'm a PS3 owner, and i have seen some PSN Exclusive games later being sold in the gaming stores. WipEout HD came out on PSN, and then it got an Expansion(WipEout HD Fury). And like 1,2 months after that, they sold both the Original game and Expansion in stores. Pain is another game with the same story.

But i think that those games only got released for retail because of dissapointing sales online and to show of the games a little more so more people could se it.

Will it happen with Sonic 4...there is a chanse. SEGA need theyre money, they really do. Selling games online is a cheaper choise so they wont pay for packaging, delivery, discs and all that. They need grate marketing for the game, wich is something rarely for a Sonic game, at least where i live, but might be payed of instead of all the hard copies flying around the world. If it does not sell well online, i can almost bet all episodes will be released for retail later on.

I hope there's a retail release down the line, as my Xbox360 is neither connected to the internet nor with a HDD.

I say make it. As long as it's the full episodic collection. A few bits of exclusive content wouldn't hurt.

But even if it did come out, I don't think I'd buy it, since I'd buy every episode as soon as it came out :P

Edited by EXshad

Because I like having a physical copy of my media instead of having rely on multiple seperate systems in order to play it.

I'd like a boxed version with a Mega Collection bonus disc that has a bonus copy of Mega Collection Plus which contains Gems Collection, which contains Sonic Jam, which contains Sonic & Knuckles Collection which contains Sonic the Screensaver. If SEGA dont do that I'll be an unhappy bunny :lol:

Seriously though it would be cool to have a retail release of this game but I guess they see digital distribution as a bigger market for 2D classics like this as alot of people would see it as a 16 Bit game thats not worth forking over retail release kind of money even if it was sold as a budget retail release like Sonic Classic Collection is being sold as.

Sure. As long as it's the full episodic collection. A few bits of exclusive content wouldn't hurt.

But even if it did come out, I don't think I'd buy it, since I'd buy every episode as soon as it came out :P

Since I doubt I'll have bought a PS3 by this July, I'll be downloading E1 and the rest for 360. If however they are later released on a disc, I'd get the PS3 version. Why? Because Physical copies are always more preferable to simple digital copies. Heck, it's the idea of getting the whole thing. Surely there are others that have bought second copies of their favourite old MD or GB games so they have the box and manual as well?

Because I like having a physical copy of my media instead of having rely on multiple seperate systems in order to play it.

aww, want a tissue lads?

if you hate downloading stuff so much, don't buy it and WAIT and see if there MIGHT be a physical release, SEGA don't owe it to you to tell you before release whether or not they'll eventually compile them into a box.

• Bad Quality Post 1

I'm downloading each episode asap. If STH4 later comes out on disc, well i'll buy that too. What the fuck, I already own like 4 different copies of the classics anyway.

What would really be awesome is a limited metal case collectors edition containing Sonic 1, CD, 2, 3, S&K, Chaotix (even though it's meh), and 4.

Edited by speedfreak

Physical copy or not, I'm buying this game. I don't care. If anything having it downloadable takes away all the headache.

You know, the kind from driving to the store only to find out something like that store hasn't gotten its shipment yet or is out of copies. Call me lazy if you want. I love having downloadable stuff because for me the game is all that matters.

I prefer physical copy because I don't buy or use DLC, and never really comfortable of buying things online if it is anything like that.

Retail release = yes please.

A game doesn't feel like a game if I haven't unwrapped it from the plastic, physicaly read the instruction manual and put the cartridge/disc into the console. Having data on my hardrive is just not the same thing.

I really don't care about the cost, even if this is just like the classics and ends up being a handful of zones and takes a few hours max to complete; I'd still pay full retail price for it - all the more worth it if this turns out to be a real revival of the classics.

As it stands though, I would have thought SEGA's (possible) return of Sonic to his glory days would've been event enough for them to at least release this like a proper game - doesn't feel very retro to have your copy of Sonic1,2,3&K sitting on your shelf with Sonic4 existing somewhere in cyberspace or whatever.

At the very least I hope this game comes out as a special edition or something akin to that, with a proper disc, box, and manual. I am not the most tech-savvy person around and do not relish having to do anything more than "put disc from box into console". The thought of buying net stuff, setting it all up, getting a creditcard or whatever you need for all that, workingout how to DL, then waiting the enevitable days with my shitty net for it to DL, is not a fun prospect - but for Sonic, especially classic Sonic I'll do it.

aww, want a tissue lads?

No ta, but I wouldn't mind a better effort at being funny. Following up a jibe with stuff that the people you're adressing didn't actually say doesn't usually work no matter how you try and spin it.

if you hate downloading stuff so much, don't buy it and WAIT and see if there MIGHT be a physical release, SEGA don't owe it to you to tell you before release whether or not they'll eventually compile them into a box.

Way to put words into our mouths.

Did I say I wouldn't buy it? No.

Did I say that I hated downloading? No.

Did Indigo Dude ask for any of that? No.

We said that we'd rather have a physical copy of the game. If you would take the time to look at the rest of the posts here, you'd probably notice that the idea of a physical copy is certainly not a minority desire.

Edited by Casanova

I love having physical copies of things due to my inner collector (too bad I can't buy all the things I want), but part of it stems from paranoia that a hard drive failure is gonna wipe out my digital games/music/whatever so I don't want to pay for something I can't hold.

but part of it stems from paranoia that a hard drive failure is gonna wipe out my digital games/music/whatever so I don't want to pay for something I can't hold.

If I remember right, your account saves info on stuff you're already paid for (at least XBL does anyway, don't know about the Sony equivalent), so even if that did happen, you can redownload stuff you've already paid for free of charge. Not a problem.

If I remember right, your account saves info on stuff you're already paid for (at least XBL does anyway, don't know about the Sony equivalent), so even if that did happen, you can redownload stuff you've already paid for free of charge. Not a problem.

Its the same case with all the other game consoles PS3, PSP, DSi and Wii. All downloaded things save to your profile so you can delete as much of your stuff you like and download them back free of charge whenever you like.

I dont know if this is the same case with iPhone the other platform this game is being released on.

iTunes store saves data on shit you buy.

only problemo is if any of the DD services go down, like what is happening with OG Xbox right now. Then you'd better hope they still let you play your stuff after their server is down.

It would be great for everybody who doesn't have Xbox Live (like me, for example), but everyone who bought the online versions will be truly butthurt once it's released.

But it's okay for me, 'cause I don't give a f**k about them!

I could definitely see this happening. *recalls Watchmen: The End Is Nigh* If they announced a physical disc release of the game, there'd have to be something special about it to get me to purchase it. For example, if they added new characters, outfits, levels, boss battles, modes, or other kinds of extras (excluding concept art... who cares?), I might consider getting the game. So they announce the complete Sonic the Hedgehog 4's retail release with a playable Tails and Knuckles, the TRUE final battle, retro costumes for Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Robotnik, a Boss Attack mode, a Mission mode, Sonic & Tails Co-op mode, and a Debug mode feature, I'd probably pick it up for $30-40 whenever I got the chance. After all, nothing beats having that lovely box sitting among the other games in your collection. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I second that.

Additionally, I am not in possession of a Hard Drive, an Xbox Live membership or the means to accumulate either of these, so I'd be extremely grateful if SEGA considered publishing such a compilation...