Awoo.

Sonic 4: Classic Sonic as an Extra?

Indigo Rush

I love me some Mexican food. Can we also petition for Refried Beans the Dynamite?

Sure, why not?

BBL, I'm hungry now.

I myself would prefer Arms the Magical Kitsune.

I like both designs, so I wouldn't object to Classic Sonic being in as a skin as much as I wouldn't object to him not being in. I always thought a game where you can play as skins of many different versions of Sonic would be cool anyway.

And if classic Sonic does make it in, Mr. Needlemouse better be in too. XD

I personally wouldn't mind if they included him as an extra skin that is already in the game or something (paying for him in the form of DLC would probably piss off classic fans even more), but I hope they keep modern Sonic as the main Sonic.

I would prefer that Classic Sonic be an unlockable skin. I wouldn't pay money for classic sonic dlc just as I wouldn't pay money for modern sonic dlc if the situation was reversed.

Although I would rather have a much more worthwhile unlockable such as bonus level or additional character, not say that we can only have one unlockable.

This.

I just don't understand why they touted this as "A game for retro Sonic fans" if they're leaving in the most egregious symbol of Sonic's modernity there is: scary-bright green eyes and a head full of flappy blue PINGASes. It's like "This is a game for all the loyal fans who loved the old style", and then the reveal trailer comes and it's essentially "Lol no, trolled, :P ". 'Cos the game looks like Sonic Rush. And there's nothing "retro" about that AT ALL.

BUT ALL THAT BEING SAID, it is a stone-cold truth that there are maybe 5 people in the world who would actually be put off from buying this just because it doesn't have Classic Sonic. The "BAWWW GREEN EYES BRIGADE" are both loud and burning with bitter raeg, but they're also not quite so doctrinnaire that they would deny themselves a 2D Sonic game just because it delivers less than it promised at inception. Whereas on the converse I'm sure there are much more than a handful of retarded 11-year-old kids who have never even SEEN Classic Sonic, and would think "Whu iz dis short-spinned gui? lol idk" if they saw him in S4 advertising. And their confusion would prevent them from hassling mommy to buy them the game.

SO it is the right decision for SEGA to make, I guess, given that they are at the most basic level a top-hat-and-monacle-wearing corporation. But I can very much understand the feeling of betrayal which a Classic fan expecting a Classic Sonic might be nurturing in his bosom after watching the trailer.

This actually seems like a feasible deal. Since this is supposed to follow in the same lore as the classic Genesis games, the original Sonic deserves to appear in it.

As long as I wouldn't have to pay for it, it would be a pretty cool bonus.

And if SEGA decide to go the full hog, include a classic Eggman skin too.

Edited by VexusVersion

I must say that I don't like being called a pisser and moaner for stating how I feel.

It makes me a sad panda. :(

Edited by Dejablue

post-486-126550355935_thumb.jpg

Seriously, some people say yes and DLC, but I think it may feel a bit out of place. I get the nostalgia sense, but to me, it doesn't feel right.

I must say that I don't like being called a pisser and moaner for stating how I feel.

It's funny, because the ones calling you pissers and the moaners were being called pissers and moaners by the current pissers and moaners about Sonic Unleashed/Black Knight reviews. Strange, isn't it?

I think having the classic design as an unlockable would be a great idea. I've been wondering why they haven't been doing this since 2006...

I'd have to wonder why the option that made more sense in the first place is described as an "extra". Then, assuming this game gives me a reason to buy it, I'd turn it on and forget there was an alternative.

Oh, and the people who were complaining about SatBK's reviews are doing the same thing now as they were then: discrediting other people's opinions. They're even using a lot of the same language to do it.

Oh, and the people who were complaining about SatBK's reviews are doing the same thing now as they were then: discrediting other people's opinions. They're even using a lot of the same language to do it.

Like being condescending and complaining instead of bringing up valid counterpoints? I agree.

• Bad Quality Post 1

Unlockable or DLC/Patch item later is acceptable. It'd be a nice bonus, just don't alienate today's kiddies by doing away with Sonic's current model.

I'd have to wonder why the option that made more sense in the first place is described as an "extra". Then, assuming this game gives me a reason to buy it, I'd turn it on and forget there was an alternative.

That's pretty much how the internet works I guess. The brief times I've wandered into 4chan showed me how crazy it can get. But here I was sure the name calling would be kept to a minimum. I guess lashing tongues and blatant insults comes with the territory though. (And I'm saying that honestly, not trying to be sarcastic. I should have known what to expect before saying anything. Think of it as the internet version of culture shock.)

I'm not quite sure how many people who want Classic Sonic have called their opposition fan brats or ass holes, stupid pissing moaning bigots, retarded naive idiots so on and so forth. Maybe one guy, maybe two maybe three but they probably don't hold a candle to what I've been called in the span of an afternoon. In my vain and obviously futile attempt to hold my ground. (Note: All that name callin didn't happen in one place)

Even when I stressed that Sonic's design alone would never be enough for me to not buy the game. If I don't it would be because I'm THAT poor and yes I'm THAT poor.

Amazingly still my opinion has somehow warped into me being this.... Idiotic retrophile ogre who has sworn off Sonic 4evar and eversimply because Old School Sonic isn't in the game.

It's not like I hate green eyed Sonic. I've played and/or own most of the games past Adventure. Sans 06 which I just couldn't beat. I found most of them to be decent or really damn fun. I don't rage about Sonic games when they are lacking. I may speculate about how they could have been better. But I've never felt the urge to just go "Oh God, I hate Sega they suck." I've even tried to defend 06 as impossible as that is. It's just bad.

So excuse me for finally having a complaint that I feel is worth voicing. I'm sorry that I want Classic Sonic. Somewhere. Anywhere. Extra DLC I don't care. I'm sorry that my reaction to the teaser wasn't to instantly orgasm over everything within a 5 foot radius of my computer. I'm so sorry.

*Le-sigh* I'm sure everyone here has been insulted for what they like or dislike. At least once. I guess this time it's my turn. So I better suck it in and get tough. Is this is a right of passage?

Edited by Dejablue

just don't alienate today's kiddies by doing away with Sonic's current model.

That's funny. I showed my 2 year old niece the old StH cartoon and she still recognized Sonic

In short, the kids really don't care.

That's funny. I showed my 2 year old niece the old StH cartoon and she still recognized Sonic

In short, the kids really don't care.

True, it says a lot about Sonic's design if the majority of people don't even realize the model has changed at all.

True, it says a lot about Sonic's design if the majority of people don't even realize the model has changed at all.

I wouldn't say that, I think I know some kids who would look at Classic Sonic and say "That doesn't look like Sonic!"

Honestly, if they just trimmed modern Sonic's quills, I think there'd be a nice compromise.

I think that's the only glaring difference between the looks, and what about those kiddies who, say, buy the retro collections? I'm sure they'd at least see old Sonic in some places. Maybe not be as familiar with it, but eh.

Either way, alternate skins wouldn't exactly hurt anyone. :B

Honestly, if they just trimmed modern Sonic's quills, I think there'd be a nice compromise.

I think that's the only glaring difference between the looks, and what about those kiddies who, say, buy the retro collections? I'm sure they'd at least see old Sonic in some places. Maybe not be as familiar with it, but eh.

Either way, alternate skins wouldn't exactly hurt anyone. :B

The modern Sonic design's spikes weren't as massive as they are these days when he first set foot on the Dreamcast. I thought Sonic looked great in Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2, and again in Sonic the Hedgehog (2006), when his spikes were miraculously reduced in size... only to be puffed back up too ridiculous proportions in Sonic Unleashed. If they were to change his spikes, it's not like they'd be making Sonic look like never before. He'd probably just look like he did in Sonic Adventure 2 or Sonic the Hedgehog (2006). Of course, I think a better design to go with would be the Sonic Adventure design, because he was more stout, like in the Genesis games, but any modern Sonic look that's not based off of the Heroes model would be a winner for me.

Sigh, I'm sure they'll continue using the Heroes design for years and years to come...

I think, though, that the floppy quills don't really make for a good speedster look. I'd actually like to see short, straight-ish ones like in the Sonic CD FMV sequences.

floppy quills
Speaking of, I just realized why I like the floppy quills:

They're dynamic.

Remember this pic? It's dynamic. It's showing the motion. You can't get that with short stiff spines, at least not nearly as dramatically. They stick out of his head like solid points, no matter how he's moving.

Now I don't want them to flop around like hair, going wild with every movement, but I love that you can see the motion in the character. And Sonic doesn't have anywhere else to put it; no hair or long fur, no clothes (in the traditional sense), a fairly stubby tail...classic Sonic is all solid parts.

• Thumbs Up 3