Awoo.

Sonic 4: Classic Sonic as an Extra?

Indigo Rush

Speaking of, I just realized why I like the floppy quills:

They're dynamic.

Remember this pic? It's dynamic. It's showing the motion. You can't get that with short stiff spines, at least not nearly as dramatically. They stick out of his head like solid points, no matter how he's moving.

Now I don't want them to flop around like hair, going wild with every movement, but I love that you can see the motion in the character. And Sonic doesn't have anywhere else to put it; no hair or long fur, no clothes (in the traditional sense), a fairly stubby tail...classic Sonic is all solid parts.

I agree with your sentiments.

And Sonic's usually running or standing still anyway, so they're going to be sticking straight out backwards anyway.

Wait, what?!

You're saying '06 shrunk his spines!? And then Unleashed made them bigger?!

It's not the length that I'm referring to. Sonic's spikes were still very long in 2006, but they didn't look nearly as thick. Sonic from 2006 doesn't appeal to me as much as his Dreamcast counterparts anyway.

For the record, I actually liked how Sonic looked in Unleashed. The problem is that Unleashed had excellent textures and lighting, which Sonic 4, so far, lacks. Sonic's spikes also appear to be noticeably floppier in Sonic 4. If they could make Sonic's spikes flop less during his idle animation, and they make his textures more noticeable, I would be fine with the model. But I'd still rather get 1999, 2001 or 2006 Sonic.

That's funny. I showed my 2 year old niece the old StH cartoon and she still recognized Sonic

In short, the kids really don't care.

I wouldn't say that, especially considering she's 2. Has she actually even played a Sonic game yet? I'm just saying, if you show an older kid, around 8 or so, a picture of the old Sonic and say "This is Sonic now", they might go "He looks weird, I don't like it". There's a reason he was redesigned in the first place.

Actually, funny story about the general public. My mother, who's FIFTY, and saw both Sonic designs, actually says she thinks Sonic looks better now(meaning she knows the design changed). I kind of laughed about it, because I didn't even know she cared.

Edited by Hero Of Fate

Hey now. They can still be dynamic. :P See how they flop back when he hops on that badnik?

They usually bob when he's at full speed too.

Edited by redmenace

Hey now. They can still be dynamic. :P See how they flop back when he hops on that badnik?

Well, yeah, that's why I said it's not as dramatic. I do like the floppiness in that vid (and that is my favorite version of classic Sonic), but I think modern Sonic does it better. And in this case I'm more concerned with the issue of floppiness than length; people have complained about modern Sonic because of the floppiness in addition to the length, but I think the floppiness is a good thing. Plus, that's kind of an exception; 99% of the time those things are as solid as steel.

Yeah. With me it's not them being floppy while running that bugs me. When I say floppy I just mean how long and droopy they are. ...Mostly long. It's just a problem I've had with modern Sonic since grade school (I'm a high school senior now, so). Won't stop me from liking the games by any means, but I'm VERY picky about character design. My KH fandom friends can vouch for that, as I'm even more harsh on Riku's KH2 design, but eh, I digress.

I think it'd be an incredibly simple model edit if they did decide to include it. They'd just need to shorten the quills-- wouldn't /really/ need to shorten his legs because they're pretty long in CD/OVA, anyway.

I wouldn't say that, especially considering she's 2. Has she actually even played a Sonic game yet? I'm just saying, if you show an older kid, around 8 or so, a picture of the old Sonic and say "This is Sonic now", they might go "He looks weird, I don't like it". There's a reason he was redesigned in the first place.

Well...I played my first Sonic game when I was 2...and beat it when I was 3...

My nephew thinks the x-tornado is in Sonic Adventure 2 and honestly I don't think he's ever even seen classic sonic, so if I showed him both and asked him which looks better...he would probably look at me and say Shadow is better than Sonic, so it really doesn't matter. He's 10 by the way.

(offtopic): The kid never even knew Sonic can use chaos control...I had to go through this whole explanation but I don't think he understood.

Hmmm...you know. I somehow found myself reading an old post of mine where I out right stated that Sega lied about using Classic Sonic. So in respect to my dignity I'll retract that statement as of now. I do still think they were being dishonest by using classic sonic as an advertising front. I mean that was almost down right political. But I can't say that they lied. I should have known it was a dirty trick to pull at my nostalgia strings.

I still want a Classic Skin though, nothings gonna change that. :P

Also about Sonic's long quills. They don't really bother me in Unleashed because Sonic's proportions are much better in that game then what we saw in 06. I mean seriously if you painted Sonic red in that game you'd swear he was an echidna.

Also are people still refuting the idea of a Classic Sonic skin on this thread? Why? I mean its not like most(ok maybe most but I'm not one of them) of us are asking that Modern Sonic be replaced. That's why those banners say 'OPTION' Games with Options are good.

Fighting over how aesthetically pleasing the floppiness of Sonic's spikes are is just as silly is as arguing over his eye color.

Edited by Dejablue

Fighting over how aesthetically pleasing the floppiness of Sonic's spikes are is just as silly is as arguing over his eye color.

Not quite.

Only one of those discussions gives me tentacle monster nightmares.

They should totally have a classic Sonic, it would make the game feel more retro.

Edited by SuperXMegaXUltra

Looks to me is all they did was shorten his quills and tone down the brightness. Not really that large of a difference for any RATIONAL person to give a shit.

xek0zq.gif

AH! So I complained correctly. The only thing I saw that didn't like was the quills and exacly what they changed. Just because they're shorter, doesn't mean they're automaticallt better.

I love the brighteness... What are these people getting at? Colours are important.

Being a HD TV owner, I would go with the more colorful graphics. I mean, really, that's when High Definition REALLY shines.

I love the brighteness... What are these people getting at? Colours are important.

It's not that it's colourful, it's garish, too bright.

I like the brighter green, but the darker browns look better to me. Also, I'm wishing that they would have given it some grass, something like some square blades or something.

Looks to me is all they did was shorten his quills and tone down the brightness. Not really that large of a difference for any RATIONAL person to give a shit.

Something tells me that Sega could do a better job than fan attempts.

I don't even care which Sonic they use. Let people choose in the options menu or something. Sega just give the babies their bottle so they will stop crying already.

Wait now people are also complaning about the bright colors?! Damn, I hate the internet sometimes.

I really don't care honestly what version of Sonic they use. I mean... I grew up when the first 3 Sonics came out! But its just like Mario. People don't complain on using his older 8 or 16 bit versions for the new super mario brothers or newer games! And Mario's hair is different colors (like Sonic's eyes) and other features are different. I think of it as Mario growing over the years just like Sonic. I like 3d models of the past few years expecally from Brawl and Unleashed. I don't know why people are fussing over this really.

Rational, eh? Please complain about complaining some more.

Seriously, your attitude across forums is just as bad as the people you are belittling. Chill, bronik.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Id love to have classic and modern looks for sonic and whoever else may show up, even shadow (but not in the story just as a added character for fun or a multiplayer mode).

Something tells me that Sega could do a better job than fan attempts.

Well yeah, but whoever did that probably said this is how SEGA should do it. No, they shouldn't do it that way because it looks god awful.

Rational, eh? Please complain about complaining some more.

Seriously, your attitude across forums is just as bad as the people you are belittling. Chill, bronik.

Stop stalking me. I NEED AN ADULT. I NEED AN ADULT. :(

(If you really were stalking me you would have noticed it was trolling on the SEGA forums. Who's to say I'm not right now? It apparently bothers you guys. *Awesome Face*)

Edited by Hero Of Fate

Pfft, I hope SEGA doesn't add it, just to piss all those people off ^^. Sure, I'd love to use Classic Sonic in the game, but to see the reactions of people when its not in, will be great. I'm sure SEGA won't do it.. It makes no sense and would be extra work.

The only things I would change in the model, would be making Sonic darker, like he was in Adventure and make his skin look less yellow. I don't really care, though, but I do like him being a darker blue xD.

Edited by MarcelloF

I hope that once you beat the game you can play as super long legs Sonic with an extra dark hue of blue fur and neon green eyes that shoot lazers, just to piss the lot of you off. That'd make my day and truly show that SEGA have been listening to the fans, to the point of intentionally pissing them off.

• Thumbs Up 1