Awoo.

Wild Sonic used Homing Attack

Cortez

So it seems that everyone's going on about the homing attack being in this game, I'm not sure where this is coming from though, it looks like it was just added to the trailer for the sake of having Sonic quickly pass through the enemies.

However, how would you feel if the homing attack WAS/IS included?

Personally I think it'd make the game way too easy if it was included as a double jump attack, at least in Rush it's out of the way and rarely used, but in a slower paced game like this being able to homing attack enemies then zoom off will really ruin the precision jumping of the classic games. It worked in Rush and Rivals as the point was get from A to B ASAP but the classics were alot more platforming heavy and I fear the homing attack could interfere.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blacklightning

• Badnik Zero

• JezMM

• azoo

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as there isn't a stretch of terrain (like a bottomless pit) where I have to use homing attack to cross, I'm indifferent about it. The homing attack was in Rush and Advance 2/3 and I never used it once.

As long as it's like how it was in Rush 1 and 2.

Or to be more descriptive, as long as it's not overpowering, or I hope, not even able to be used on anything but enemies and items, and it being a slightly more accurate method of jumping on enemies. If it's gonna in, it might as well be a useful move, but not a necessary move.

Edited by Black Spy

Well, it IS in S4:E1, so I don't know how Sonic Team will use it in the game.

That said, I don't mind it. As long as it's important, not a cheap fill-in move, and MUST be used more than five times in the game.

As long as there isn't a stretch of terrain (like a bottomless pit) where I have to use homing attack to cross, I'm indifferent about it. The homing attack was in Rush and Advance 2/3 and I never used it once.

exactly this. Including homing attack across bottomless pits, I don't want to have to homing attack a chain of enemies to reach a new path. To me that is just lazy level design and it was used too many times in Sonic unleashed.

As long as it doesn't dominate the gameplay, I really don't care much about the homing attack being included.

I do wonder why they're including it, though. The homing attack was created for 3D, because of the problems of attacking in 3D. It's not needed in 2D (as every decent 2D platformer proves, early Sonic games included), and I don't think there's all that much it can add, neither in function nor spectacle. Why put it in, over other moves? Why call attention to it so early?

That said, I don't mind it. As long as it's important, not a cheap fill-in move, and MUST be used more than five times in the game.
...why? Is there something wrong with a move that's just useful, not essential?

Probably for the younger fans, to relate to something they know. To be honest, the majority are children. As long as it's Sonic on the cover, they'll buy it, just like WE did when we were children.

If it's optional why bother that they've included it at all? There is still some odd idiot who complains about NPCs in Unleashed at which I say, why?

I would love if it was a power up, but it doesn't seem to be the case so... I will just go with the posture of "I hope it's usefull but not necessary".

Maybe they could put it in the same way as they did it in Sadv2, where it'd be in Easy Mode and not in Normal difficulty. Also to where it doesn't work as a jump dash (or if it does, not one that gives you much momentum like Megamix but doesn't bring you to a halt like Nextgen). That, and short range for homing. Oh yeah, and not needed in the game other than, like said, being useful but not necessary.

Just imagine Homing attack for Easy mode, Instashield for Normal mode, and nothing for Hard mode. That would be pretty awesome. :3

Edited by Azukara

Ken Balough confirmed the homing. If they can find a way to make aspects of levels interactive with the homing, I won't mind. If they can make it an alternate method of attacking without changing the flow of the game, that's cool too. If it's abusable or necessary for enemy chains I'll probably hate it more than I do in the 3D titles, because so far it's been very unnecessary in sidescrollers. I liked what someone else said about the attack, like if it was a kind of "easy mode" for attacking with no momentum gain, while the more traditional method of hopping on Badniks gets you a good bounce. I haven't seen homing well integrated into the 2D moveset by Dimps, or more frequently by various fangames, so it's something that makes me nervous about Sonic 4. Here's hoping for the best?

^ Lol, beaten to easy mode by Azukara. I'd be alright with it in the main game as long as it remains separate from other modes of attack, like jumping.

Edited by Cupcake Hedgehog

I have no qualms with the homing attack in 2D or 3D, but I do agree NOTHING should be impossible without it. It should be an aid for younger players only, maybe useful here and there for speedrunning at most (though generally I imagine chaining together three enemies in a row with one regular jump (for example) would be way quicker anyhow).

If it works like it does in the Dimps games it could help balance the gameplay for inexperienced players. Using it would guarantee a hit on difficult enemies however it ruins your horizontal momentum unlike simply jumping or rolling into them.

I'm hoping that it functions like it did in Sonic Advance 2. Only when you're close to a badnik: otherwise, it's an insta-shield.

I've never used the homing attack in the 2D games that have it, and I don't expect S4 to be an exception.

I heard someone mention in a different thread to bring back Sonic 3D Blast's gold shield, which had the homing attack as a double-jump ability kinda like the bubble bounce and such. Honestly, if it were handled in that manner, I wouldn't have anything to complain about at all.

The main problem I had with the Rush versions of the HA is that it feels under-responsive - often it doesn't respond when you feel you're within close enough range to do it, and at the distance it usually triggers it kinda defeats the point seeing as you're usually so close you could've just jumped on the enemy as per the norm.

The blind hate on anything from modern Sonic is so annoying. I LOVE classic Sonic way more then modern Sonic (speaking about games) but shit like green eyes, the name Eggman, and yes even the homing attack doesn't bother me in the least. As long as the homing attack is optional and as others said isn't used to clear pits then I'm fine with it.

The Homing attack is fine. Half the time it's pretty unneeded anyways in the 3D games. It's just a quicker way to kill stuff (Unless you're over a bottomless pit)

Assuming that Knuckles and Tails do appear in later episodes, all I see the homing attack as is a gimmick to more or less equal out the playing field. As a kid I never saw a reason to play sonic when you have tails who can glide over everything. This will pull the focus back to sonic while still letting other characters have what made them special.

Edited by Bubonic Bunny

In the classic games, Sonic could use shield double-jump abilities (like bouncing with the bubble shield, dashing forward with the fire shield and a literal double jump with the lightning shield) to compensate for his lack of ability over other characters. Plus, the insta-shield, which beyond giving you a bigger hitbox could kill enemies that otherwise couldn't be killed without taking a hit.

Nonetheless that's an interesting way to think about it, and I'm surprised I didn't consider something like that sooner.

Homing attack imo could do great for speedruns in this game I can imagine whenever it's not used for its originally created purpose. Without any boost a la Sonic Rush and a stop-drop being necessary for spindashing, I can see the homing attack used for similar purposes as a common stunt used in the 3D games, in order to recover momentum at point-blank range above the ground. Because lets face it, who here hasn't abused the homing attack as a mere "Jump Dash" to build up lost speed from a spring jump or the like before?

Edited by Pirate Jet