Awoo.

Sonic 4's "Intro"

eXtaticus

Due to a spontaneous impulse, I decided to have a browse through the archives of sonicthehedgehog4.com. After a few minutes of fantasizing about what the time-locked content could be (and looking on in disgust at the decidedly awful video that played before me), I stumbled across the section of the site marked "Intro" - and boy, was I in for a shock...

It began as Sonic's animal friends begin disappearing from South Island.

Needless to say, I was rather unhappy when I read this; look at the sections I've underlined, and you'll see that there are actually two tenses in the sentence!

Sonic battles Eggman through many different zones. Sonic eventually pursues Eggman to Final Zone where the first in many epic battles between them begins.

If you read this carefully, you'll spot that it doesn't actually make a lick of sense; in the fist sentence, the writer declares that Sonic battles Eggman in many zones. That would be fine, if it weren't for the fact that the second sentence states that Sonic's battle with Eggman in the Final Zone is actually his first. Additionally, the word "the" should be placed in-between "to" and "Final Zone".

In the end Sonic is victorious and Eggman's Mecha fly's away badly damaged. Sonic returns to Green Hill Zone and re-unites with his friends.

Fly's? Shouldn't that be flies? Shouldn't "Mecha" be "Mech", and shouldn't "end" and "Sonic" have a comma separating them?

I think that these idiotic mistakes really reflect badly on SEGA's image; if they can't be bothered to proof-read the story, who's to say they can be bothered to make a decent game? It's all very worrying...

Over analyze more please. This is just quick synopsis of what happened in the previous titles for those who hadn't played them or didn't quite get the storyline the first time. Like someone else said, this was probably written during an employee's coffee break. Lay off dude

Edited by Bubonic Bunny

While I agree that over analyzing the plot details on the old games is a bit much there isn't any excuse for the 3rd grade level grammar on the official site. I still can't get the Intro page to load so hopefully they're fixing that.

Probably written by someone who's not good at the English. Not big surprise.

Edited by Black Spy
  • Thumbs Up 1

Calling it "Eggman's Mecha", as if that's it's proper name (Noting the capitalization) irks me. The official name of that ship is the Eggmobile, something I'm saddened the writer apparently didn't know.

Over analyze more please. This is just quick synopsis of what happened in the previous titles for those who hadn't played them or didn't quite get the storyline the first time. Like someone else said, this was probably written during an employee's coffee break. Lay off dude
And that justifies it? Hell, this board is held to more strict standards than that.

Anyway, I'm more bothered by them implying that Sonic 2 leads immediately into 3&K (as in, they went straight from catching Sonic at the end of Sonic 2 to reaching Angel Island at the start of Sonic 3) and that they're saying Knuckles' story in S3&K took place at the same time as Sonic's, when all in-game evidence points to it happening afterwards, than any spelling or grammar errors.

Additionally, the word "the" should be placed in-between "to" and "Final Zone".

Derp derp.

The capitilisation in Final Zone suggests that it is the name of a place. Sticking "the" in there would make as much sense as saying "I am going to the England". If it wasn't capitilised, then yes, "the" would be necessary.

If you're going to be a Language Fascist, at least try to get it right.

• Thumbs Up 2

And that justifies it? Hell, this board is held to more strict standards than that.

SSMB isn't that anal, we only chew our buttons when people type like fourth graders. I don't think I can see any mod thwapping any member over making these kinds of mistakes.

Sonic and Tails fly down and come across mysterious island called Angel Island. This island is floating by the power of the precious stone called Master Emerald, but now this mysterious island are dropping down to the ocean surface because the Death Egg had been falling on this island.

That's pretty damn bad. Almost "Full Life Consequences" bad.

Edited by Diogenes

Derp derp.

The capitilisation in Final Zone suggests that it is the name of a place. Sticking "the" in there would make as much sense as saying "I am going to the England". If it wasn't capitilised, then yes, "the" would be necessary.

You wouldn't say "put the disc in Dreamcast"; you would say "put the disc in the Dreamcast". You wouldn't say "I'm going to post on Internet"; you would say "I'm going to post on the Internet".

If you're going to be a Language Fascist, at least try to get it right.

If you're going to use that argument, try to spell "capitalized" right.

Edited by Extaticus
  • Thumbs Up 1

Someone NEEDS to do a spoof on this. Like, NAOH. This is TOO good. :lol:

Edited by Black Spy

You wouldn't say "put the disc in Dreamcast"; you would say "put the disc in the Dreamcast". You wouldn't say "I'm going to post on Internet"; you would say "I'm going to post on the Internet".

I'd say 'put t'old disc in t'Dreamcast', but then again that's my Barnsleyan accent speaking there. :P

If you're going to be like that:

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/capitalise

That said, the English is pretty bad, but I assume it's just a bad translation.

Besides, there's more important things to worry about, like the game being, I dunno, good.

Edited by Semi-colon e

Yeah, this is about the only bit of recent news that's actually disappointed me. I mean, I know it's just a website, but I'm anal about grammar and continuity... blargh. This intro had better stay far, far away from the game itself.

Poor effort is poor, SEGA. I'd feel a lot more excited about future updates (and the game in general, really) if someone cleaned this mess up.

If you're going to be like that:

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/capitalise

That said, the English is pretty bad, but I assume it's just a bad translation.

Besides, there's more important things to worry about, like the game being, I dunno, good.

Oh, it's that blasted colour-color thing again...

That's pretty damn bad. Almost "Full Life Consequences" bad.

Lol, reading that out in the voice from the video made me lol hard.

As did this. Hohoho stiff british upper-lip.

In case no-one had noticed both "going to Final Zone" and "going to the Final Zone" are both correct. It depends what kind of place name you consider (the) Final Zone to be. As shown, both "going to England" and "going to the Smithonian Institute" are correct.

Edited by JezMM

I suppose that "going to Final Zone" sounds okay when one says it in a Polish accent...

The capitilisation in Final Zone suggests that it is the name of a place.

a place.

Those are not places.

Kudos for attempting to correct me with the wrong type of verb though. lul

Edited by Pooshoes?

The only "continuity error" I see here is the reference to Knuckles being encountered by Egg Robo before Angel Island is restored. And the only real reason I see a problem here is that Knuckles fights against Sonic right up until Eggman steals the Master Emerald from Hidden Palace. The notion that "Sonic 3" takes place immediately after Sonic 2 actually makes perfect sense to me. I actually believed that right from the start.

The part about Knuckles... I actually didn't see any problem with it initially, as I figured that by the time Knuckles reached Sky Sanctuary Sonic had already destroyed the Death Egg... but yes, it doesn't make much sense in the long run. That part is definitely a continuity error. Anything else you try bringing up and say its a "continuity error" is actually a "fanon" error, which simply means that its the general belief of the fandom, and not what Sega themselves had in mind. In essence, its false canon.

Saying that Sonic 3 doesn't take place directly after Sonic 2 is fanon. If Sega went out and said that Sonic 3 doesn't take place directly after Sonic 2, THEN it would be canon. But they said the exact opposite.

Okay to be honest I can tell that this topic is just gonna turn into a ridiculous argument over grammar, and it doesn't really belong in the Sonic 4 forum anyway. I'm going to lock this since I can't really see the point of it anymore, if there ever was one to begin with.

EDIT: Alright, I changed my mind and I'll unlock this in hopes that an argument isn't going to surface due to it.