Awoo.

Are there anythings from the modern games you DO want?

Thirsty Pocket

Ok, I hate being the guy to bring up Mario in the Sonic fanbase. ...Okay that's lie. Anyways. When Mario made his glorious return to 2D gaming, he didn't completely abandon the things the 3D games brought to the series. New Super Mario Bros Kept the Wall Jump, the triple jump, and the ground pound from Super Mario 64. ( I know that Yoshi and Wario used the ground pound in their games before Mario, but it was never put in a game that purely starred Mario until SM64 ). We also see some modern enemies ad modern traits to older enemies, like the ability to bound a chain chomp into freedom, Whomp Jrs, Amps, Petey Priannah as a Boss, Water Skeeters, Canons that launch Mario, Peahats, Bowser Jr., Sushi the Shark, The Big Eel from Jolly Rodger Lagoon, Fwoosh the Cloud, The Spiders from the Big Boo's Haunt, and these are the few things that come to mind. And I thought all of it was awesome. Mario's modern moves were a joy to use in the new 2D games.

So this makes me wonder if there is anything, anything at all that the modern Sonic games could add to the new 2D Sonic games, and if the fans would even want them, if only for the sake of keeping the classic style from feeling too old. Now I know that most of the newer modern additions to the series may or may not have been what wrecked the series in the first place. We have the homing attack, but I wouldn't mind the light dash, and the bounce attack. You could always make them optional powerups, sort of like they were in SA2, but this time, ACTUALLY optional, like, you really really need to search the zone to find these upgrades, and they aren' t required to clear the story, but could be used to find things that were otherwise unreachable.

Can anyone else think of something from the modern era that they want in this game? Don't think about how it worked in 3D, but how it COULD work in 2D, and if it could work well or not.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Thirsty Pocket

• Djawed

• Solid SOAP

• speedfreak

Top Posters In This Topic

Sonic Rush is a perfect example of how Modern Sonic can mix with Classic Sonic.

Sonic Unleashed did pretty good too with the side-scrolling moments.

In addition to the homing attack, I'd like to see the stomp. Y'know, sorta mirroring how Mario's butt-stomp, introduced in Mario 64, was in New Super Mario Bros. Maybe Sonic Unleashed's wall jump as well, but that's really it. I think that's all, though, just to make sure the game remains as retro as possible. In fact, I want to see, more than anything, more classic elements that we haven't seen yet in the modern games to return.

Edited by EXshad

I'm gonna have to dodge some blows from Phos for this but I honestly wouldn't mind rail grinding being in the game as long as it's optional, used very sparingly and used classic physics. I always loved the concept for Sonic and it could make for some cool level designs if used properly.

I'm gonna have to dodge some blows from Phos for this but I honestly wouldn't mind rail grinding being in the game as long as it's optional, used very sparingly and used classic physics. I always loved the concept for Sonic and it could make for some cool level designs if used properly.

They were in Sonic Advanced, and only Sonic and Amy could grind. I do think though, that they were used a little too sparingly and were really difficult to actually initiate the grind sequence, but I agree. Some optional rails here and there would be nice. Think like how they were used in City Escape in SA2. That was perfect.

I wouldn't mind gimmicks from Rush returning, like the mines with handles from Water Palace, or the rockets in Dead Line. I like the ring system from Rush too, where your rings fly farther the more frequently you're hit. Chaotix had a system where the rings flew at the screen and only half of them were collectible.

I'd mostly prefer the bounce attack and the walljump, but that's it. I'd rather leave the light dash out since it isn't all that useful, especially in a 2D game. Grinding would be okay, as long as they were used in speedy sections sparingly, mainly running along side the ground, and to give it some use, a jump at the end, when you time it at the end of the rail, get a boost that could sometimes lead to higher/faster paths, or in more difficult instances, perhaps gaps between gradually rising rails(accomplished through use of heavy momentum beforehand of course), could lead to special secrets or bonuses.

I can easily see rails being quite useful for more advanced and hardcore players to get a better platforming challenge.

I'm fine with modern Sonic's look. Other then that......... I can't really think of anything. Maybe the wall jump. Also the CGI in recent Sonic games has been beautiful looking, but I wouldn't want Sonic 4 to be full of scenes. Maybe just an opening and ending scene.

Most of the things I'd love to see return in Sonic 4 started in the classics. Metal Sonic, the Death Egg, Figure eight peel out, Super Sonic in levels, Special stages, Spin dash, Giant Eggman robot final boss, etc.

I wouldn't mind seeing the bounce attack to make reaching high areas easier, but there's not much else I'd like to see in Sonic 4.

Oh right, then just include elemental shields then. XD

Although I have a feeling this game will take the most ideas from Sonic 1 and 2, and many things from Sonic 3 won't be seen. Just a hunch, but I can kind of feel that it'll feel more like a spirital sequel to Sonic 2, sort of a Sonic 2.5, rather than a Sonic 4. If that makes any sense, sort of how NSMBWii was more SMB4 instead of SMW2, I guess.

I'd like them to keep modern Sonic's look (which they're already doing :P), and I wouldn't mind the addition of a few modern moves. The wall jump from Sonic Unleashed would be nice to have. And they could also add the stomp attack as a normal move, but upgrade it to the bounce attack whenever you have a water sheild.

I'm fine with modern Sonic's look. Other then that......... I can't really think of anything. Maybe the wall jump. Also the CGI in recent Sonic games has been beautiful looking, but I wouldn't want Sonic 4 to be full of scenes. Maybe just an opening and ending scene.

Most of the things I'd love to see return in Sonic 4 started in the classics. Metal Sonic, the Death Egg, Figure eight peel out, Super Sonic in levels, Special stages, Spin dash, Giant Eggman robot final boss, etc.

An opening and ending wouldn't hurt. Remember, Sonic CD has an opening and ending cut scenes.

I don't mind modern Sonic's look at all. Alittle bit of Advance and Rush gameplay wouldn't hurt either. But I would like to see some classic music coming back.

The only reason they don't care about that is because it's called New Super Mario Brothers, and not Super Mario World 2 or Super Mario Brothers 4. HURRRR DURRR. No seriously, I keep reading the rage over the name. It's all they freakin' care about.

The boost. Yes, yes, burn me at the stake if you must, but I honestly believe, with some tweaking, it can work excellently along with the basic 2D Sonic gameplay.

Walljump. I always love walljumps. It gives Sonic better options for vertical movement; as it is, Tails can fly, Knuckles can climb, but Sonic's stuck on the ground unless there's a quarterpipe around.

The stomp. Gives Sonic more control over himself in the air.

More involved stories. Yeah, sometimes they suck, but I think they hit (mediocre, at least) more often than not, and I like to see the characters as characters, and not just "guy you play as" and "guy you beat up".

Various characters. I don't buy into this "Sonic, Tails, Knuckles ONLY" tripe; there are plenty of modern characters that I'd hate to see just vanish. Hell, even the ones I don't actively like, most of them I'd rather keep than kill off.

The modern design. Well...that's one.

I think the wall jump could be implemented very well, actually. Make it usable to go up long vertical corridors to reach upper alternate pathways, or something like that.

Rails could work too. I thought they fit alright into the Advance and Rush games, and I could see them in this game as another "optional pathway" method, or as a good platforming challenge (having to quickly jump rails in succession with precision to avoid falling to your death).

If they don't bring back elemental shields (which I hope they do), I wouldn't mind seeing a separate bounce attack.

And the light dash would be fine if used sparingly, just to give you a few extra rings and a little momentum boost occasionally.

I'm not sure what else from the modern games could be included in this one (aside from the homing attack, which is obviously already in), but I'm sure there could be some kind of use for anything you could come up with.

That's not that it would be necessary or a good idea in all cases, as even with some of the aforementioned moves, I don't think I'd actually want them to be used in this game. I'm just trying to come up with ways they could be implemented.

I honestly can't think of anything from the modern games that I want in this game. I mean I'm TRYING to think of something but nothing's coming to me.

Maybe... the light speed dash? I can't think of anything worthwhile.

The boost. Yes, yes, burn me at the stake if you must, but I honestly believe, with some tweaking, it can work excellently along with the basic 2D Sonic gameplay.

How about the way Shadow's boost worked in Sonic Megamix? It burns 10 rings and acts like on of the Dash Pads used in earlier games, and over used in the newer games? Give it the ability to do some damage and I'd say thats a good optional attack right there.

Various characters. I don't buy into this "Sonic, Tails, Knuckles ONLY" tripe; there are plenty of modern characters that I'd hate to see just vanish. Hell, even the ones I don't actively like, most of them I'd rather keep than kill off.

I totally agree right here. Not only is it a waste to do away with a character, but the more ways there are to play the game differently, the better I say. We haven't gotten to play the classics in a new way since Amy in Sonic Advanced. She was challenging to play as, but still fun. ( I don't count Cream beccause Sonic Advanced 2 is more like Sonic Rush than the classics. It's the point where handheld Sonic lost it's potential IMO )

How about the way Shadow's boost worked in Sonic Megamix? It burns 10 rings and acts like on of the Dash Pads used in earlier games, and over used in the newer games? Give it the ability to do some damage and I'd say thats a good optional attack right there.
Eh, using up rings seems clunky. And I'm more concerned with using it for quick acceleration than breaking the normal speed limit; my idea is to reduce the power so it doesn't exceed the maximum normal running speed (and will only reach it if you're already moving at a fair pace). There'd be a few seconds delay before you could use it again; long enough so that it can't be spammed, but quick enough that it's likely to be recharged when you need it. I also wouldn't have it do damage; leave that to spinning (you can just tap down after using it, anyway).

A walljump for Sonic to get up and over places without having to use someone like tails to get up cliffs.

A more fleshed out story. I'm not a fan of minimalism, nor am I a fan of the story occupying majority of the game, but honestly if it weren't for the stories in Sonic games, a lot of people would probably never have bothered to complete games like Shadow or Sonic 06 as bad of games they were. I like a character behaving as a character while I play the game, not just something you play as with little life to it. When done right, it gives me something to say how cool it is for Sonic to do this, or Shadow to do that, or for Shadow and Knuckles to duke it out, and it even serves as an extra drive in wanting to beat the game. Everything that is handled is like a double edged sword, it can do wonders or it can suck, so it's not like stories are a plague on the series just for being around.

More ways to play the game. And that means the use of other characters. I wouldn't want these characters to be forced on me to beat the game, but I want them as a optional content that I can play whenever I want or never at all. Sonic could be the guy who speeds and bounces around the stage, Tails is the character who can fly to the higher places in the stage, Knuckles can climb vertical structures and break through walls, Shadow can attack from afar or teleport from one point to another on the screen, Rouge can sabotoge hazards to work for her instead of against her, you see where I'm going with this.

That's about it for a game like this that I would like.

I've probably said it before, but classic-themed playable Shadow would be pretty neat. Hell, a host of classic-ised modern characters in general I wouldn't have a problem with.

Online multiplayer that doesn't suck. They did this with the XBLA editions of Sonic 2 and 3 I believe, but Tails was always given an unforgivable handicap because he was the only one that lagged. Yeah, they're technically classic games, but it was a new edition of it so it's more of a "new-old" kind of thing.

A proper intro video? People usually cite Sonic CD for this and I certaintly can't blame them, but between that and Unleashed's cinematics I'm honestly torn. Hell, just cool-looking cinematics in general is something the game could benefit from.

Not much else I can think of, I'd just rather be surprised from that point on.

Edited by Blacklightning

Sonic Heroes had a few things in particular I liked. It all boils down to having something happen in the level that has an actual effect in CHANGING the level or the way you approach it. Best examples are:

-Rain in Frog Forest

-Some switches in Mystic Mansion

A few other things I'd like to see, also this doesn't count Rush which I did post in the classic sonic thread.

* Chase scene, ala Lost World

* Shifting level, ala Sky Deck

* Set piece showstopper for act 2, ala Heroes Hero or Dark stories

* Chao Gardens (not races unless there is direct input)

I think that's it. Most of the stuff I liked in Unleashed, I'd prefer to see in a 3d game. Except MAYBE the recurring robot semi-bosses (at least they were in the wii version), but the classics kinda had that in MBZ and with Knuckles... so yeah.

New Super Mario Bros Kept the Wall Jump, the triple jump, and the ground pound from Super Mario 64.

... And Sonic 4 is keeping the speed boosters, the homing attack and Sonic's design from SA1.

It's already happening, and there ain't nothin' y'all can do 'bout it - thank god.

Actually I really don't. The genesis games are really superior to the 3d games imo.

From gameplay to level design to art design and everything. If they could just base a 3d game from that it would be awesome.

Actually I really don't. The genesis games are really superior to the 3d games imo.

From gameplay to level design to art design and everything. If they could just base a 3d game from that it would be awesome.

Isn't that basically Heroes?