Awoo.

Doctor Who

Patticus

10 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:
  Hide contents

I thought 10 did hold off his regeneration, which was how he was able to wonder around and see all his old companions.

If you meant permanently, I'm pretty sure that's impossible. In fact I believe it's been demonstrated before that a time lord would eventually die outright if they didn't.

Spoiler

Thought it was just the radiation took its time with him. Also your right about holding it back killing him, just look at Simm in his first stint.

The process actually began the moment he stepped out of the chamber (remember how he healed the cuts on his face?)

Yeah thats right. Heck, him holding it back was what made it so explosive when I think about it.

Absolutely loved that episode. Never liked RTD's interpretation of Simm's Master, but I did believe Moffat would deliver something more what I'd want. I was still cautious though, and even after last week when Simm seemed on point I was still worried, but nah that was great and gave Simm a chance to actually be a Master I liked. Loved everything of him and Gomez' Master together and thought their ending was absolutely perfect for the Master. I also hope it becomes a running theme for leaving showrunners to seemingly kill off the Master right before a new showrunner takes over. =P

The Doctor stuff was wonderful, loved his struggle and just how desperately hard he tried in the face of an unwinnable situation even when he knows it was exactly that. I loved the Bill Cyberman stuff and felt like it was the first time nuWho had actually successfully pulled off what both RTD and Moffat had never really successfully done before of making you empathise with a converted. I would have liked more of see how Bill actually was and so you're getting this stripped down inhuman looking version of her to emote to and add some creepiness, but I understand they feel like that's not gonna work for a larger audience since inevitably any mass market fiction makes that change in that situation.

Also dat ending.... WOOOOOO

43 minutes ago, The Tenth Doctor said:

Yeah thats right. Heck, him holding it back was what made it so explosive when I think about it.

I can't remember if both RTD and Moffat spoke about it or just Moffat (but I think both did), but it was raised by one/both of them the idea that the Doctor's regenerations were becoming more and more violent releasing more and more energy because he was getting closer to the end of his cycle. Well see what happens with Capaldi because how I remember Moffat speaking about it after Matt Smith left Capaldi's should be pretty subtle as opposed to the increasing outward explosion with Tennant and Smith because of new cycle (I know technically Smith's regeneration was first of new cycle, but in terms of regeneration strength side of it Moffat seemed to consider it the 'last' of that set from how I recall it).

Anyone else notice that Bill and Heather share their names with William Hartnell and his wife Heather?

• Thumbs Up 2

I've seen a wave of people noticing that after the finale. Find it kinda weird though just in that I saw people talking about it a lot before The Pilot aired and I just assumed it became a generally a known thing because of that and hadn't realised how much it passed people by at the time.

Potential BIG spoiler for Christmas has popped up, and it isn't what we saw shown at the end of the last episode.

Spoiler

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/former-doctor-who-companion-return-10729972

Yeah, seems like Clara might be making a cameo, a few places are reporting it. Seems fair, what with Tennant getting to see Rose before he left and Smith seeing Amy, Capaldi should see his main companion again one last time (Let us know if he remembers her, especially with the hint in the last ep!)

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

I kept on meaning to comment on the finale and then I kept on forgetting.  I enjoyed it a lot!  I enjoy the wide range of tones Doctor Who has and the oscillation towards what was largely a bleak and brutal finale pleased me on that level, not least as Peter Capaldi is at his best when given material with a little gravitas.  A difficult if rewarding reflection on the Twelfth Doctor's preoccupation with the nature of goodness throughout his run.

So this is how they're revealing the Thirteenth, is it?  I agree with what many are saying, that it would have been nice to keep it a secret until the in-show regeneration itself... but keeping that secret for so long just isn't practical; it may be that it just isn't possible.  In a truly ideal world they'd have somehow gotten the Thirteenth Doctor in at the end of last Saturday's finale, actually, but oh well.  It will be very interesting to see who Chibnall's picked, as that'll be the first real indication we'll have as to what his era will look like...

• Thumbs Up 1

Not surprised... but my god it feels like a let down instead of a good moment just because of how the last series was.

Pretty much every episode in the last series brought up minorities in some way, you couldn't go 20min without a mention of race or sexuality been thrown in. So it just feels like they've done it because that was the flavour of the last series and because they constantly brought Missy into this season and it paid off, especially when you compare her payoff to how amazingly dull River Song ended up becoming, instead of it being a OMG television moment, it just feels like a 'oh that's nice'.

Just think for a moment, imagine if it had been Tennant or Smith's Doctor that had evolved into Whittaker, it would have made so much more a statement because it would be a female doctor without the whole 'hey we might do this 'hint hint wink wink' series which this last one had been.

• Thumbs Up 2

Pleased that we'll get a good dynamic between showrunner and Doctor as they have worked together on BroadChurch but I'd take it a bit better if we hadn't had the General's regeneration in Hell Bent. Missy I can deal with, it showed it can be done. The General though, just changed into a woman for the sake of it and made really bad men jokes. Still, should be a new look and feel, good luck to her and the team. Wonder what the companion will be (Male, Female, In between, Strax)?

I just hope they write 13 as The Doctor and not "The female doctor" as Moffat would have done.

• Thumbs Up 1

Nothing wrong with having a female doctor. Was kind of inevitable after Missy. Might help to keep the show fresh as it has been nearly 12 years now since DW was brought back. 

I'm not a hard-core fan of DW, more of a casual fan. I watched pretty much every episode when Eccleston & Tennant played the role. Tennant was brilliant.

I've watched a few episodes here and there of Smith & Capaldi. Whilst they've had their moments, the show has never felt as good as it was when Russell T Davies was writing.

My thoughts are the same as they were when 12 was being chosen: As long as they audition everybody and then pick the best person for the job regardless of their gender, I'm happy.  None of this "the Doctor should only be a man" or "we should specifically make the Doctor a woman this time".  If she's the best person for the job, then that's all I need.

2 hours ago, Tylinos said:

My thoughts are the same as they were when 12 was being chosen: As long as they audition everybody and then pick the best person for the job regardless of their gender, I'm happy.  None of this "the Doctor should only be a man" or "we should specifically make the Doctor a woman this time".  If she's the best person for the job, then that's all I need.

About that

5 hours ago, Boomer said:

oh

Well, that's a bit dumb.  Would it have really been so hard to just audition both men and women for once, instead of limiting yourselves to one or the other yet again, just the other way around this time?  If Chibnall really wanted her to prove herself as top-notch from the get-go, he could have let her show herself to truly be the best against everyone.

Still, though, what matters above everything else is how good she is in the role, and how good the show is.  Here's hoping she makes for a great Doctor.

EDIT: Added the quote to my post because I realized someone just glancing at the topic might think the "oh" is in response to the actual announcement.

Honestly, I think the idea of having a woman play The Doctor is rather an exciting opportunity! So long as they don't place too much focus on it, I'm fine.

I'm always amused when people become genuinely upset with each new incarnation. In my mind, change is integral to a show like Doctor Who. And after Missy, this was all but an inevitability. Like every new Doctor, I'm going to withhold judgment until the debut. Until then, I remain open to good things from Ms. Whittaker's coming tenure. ^_^

On 7/16/2017 at 10:43 AM, Boomer said:

I just hope they write 13 as The Doctor and not "The female doctor" as Moffat would have done.

I've defended Moffat in the past, but I've come to feel that this would be how he'd write a female incarnation. I fear the overall presentation under Moffat would come across as shallow and obnoxious. 

• Thumbs Up 4

It's not too clear from the link whether Chibnall only auditioned women or only auditioned Whittaker, but I'm not too fussed either way.  If it's the former, then after such a long period of auditioning only men I don't think it's unfair to for once look exclusively at what female talent there might be available for the role, and if it's the latter, that's how every modern Doctor except Matt Smith was selected.  (And for the Eleventh Doctor, there's a credible rumour that Moffat actually offered the role to Paterson Joseph and he turned it down, in which case open auditions weren't the original plan there either.)

5 hours ago, Killtank said:

I've defended Moffat in the past, but I've come to feel that this would be how he'd write a female incarnation. I fear the overall presentation under Moffat would come across as shallow and obnoxious. 

I'm in agreement with you there.  I think Moffat tries hard and has the best of intentions, but he does appear to have some... rather unusual or perhaps simply unoriginal ideas about women.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, FFWF said:

...and if it's the latter, that's how every modern Doctor except Matt Smith was selected.  (And for the Eleventh Doctor, there's a credible rumour that Moffat actually offered the role to Paterson Joseph and he turned it down, in which case open auditions weren't the original plan there either.)

...I completely forgot about all of that.  Fair point.  (And whatever the case was with how auditions were handled, it's not really a big deal or anything, just felt like a weird way to do it.)

And yeah, while there are a lot of things Moffat's done that I've liked, he also has this annoying habit of constantly reminding the audience about things we already know just so he can remind us "Hey, look what I did!", as if he expects we wouldn't understand.  Show, Don't Tell is a staple of writing for a reason.  (It's especially weird considering he also sometimes writes things that he wants the audience to piece together on their own, so it's not like he doesn't know how to stay subtle.)

Well a trailer for the Christmas episode has dropped. I'm putting it in Spoiler tags as well as my thoughts.

Spoiler

Yeah so I think Mark Gatiss is playing the Brigadier. Also Bill is coming back. Not too sure what to make of this, see how the Brigadier goes but  I'm not too happy Bill is back. She was written out, done. But like Clara in Last Christmas, they pull her back.

Re: The returning character:

Spoiler

I've mulled it over, and I'm pretty okay with this.  I disagree with the comparisons made here and elsewhere to Last Christmas and Hell Bent; the former was Clara staying really long past her allotted time, and the latter was her effectively coming back from the dead after being so established episodes earlier.  Bill's only had the one series so I think it's fair to suggest that she has more to give, and her return was established... arguably moments before her death itself was established, so I don't really see that it's going back on anything for her to appear again.  I enjoyed the ending of The Doctor Falls, but it was really weird to see the characters all going their own ways each thinking the other was dead.  I don't see a Christmas reunion as being a problem.

Actually, it kind of makes me wonder if Chibnall's decided to keep Bill on.  But I don't think there's evidence enough to make such an argument yet.

• 2 months later...

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-10-22/doctor-who-bradley-walsh-tosin-cole-mandip-gill-and-sharon-d-clarke-join-jodie-whittaker-as-regular-cast-members/

• Bradley Walsh IS gonna be part of the new series, along with Tosin Cole, Mandip Gill and Sharon D Clarke
  • It's going to be a full team, not just one or two companions tagging along with the Doctor.
  • The new series will start in Autumn 2018.
  • The BBC confirmed that it'll be 10 episodes, 50 minutes in length, with the first being a 60-minute one.
  • Thumbs Up 3

People re already crying foul over it (A Woman Doctor with two Black companions) but I don't care about that. I more care that I don't think Bradley Walsh won't be very good. Still looking forward to it though!