Awoo.

Doctor Who

Patticus

The BBC america stream as well... I am american obviously.

I heard you guys in the UK got it but certainly not us here in the states.

1 minute ago, MadmanRB said:

The BBC america stream as well... I am american obviously.

I heard you guys in the UK got it but certainly not us here in the states.

Just now, MadmanRB said:

Thanks, is that the real theme?

Have to ask as you know how it is, fan creations all over youtube

It is. Did the American broadcast not have the post-credits bit where it previewed all the guest stars that would be appearing?

7 minutes ago, Ernest-Panda said:

It is. Did the American broadcast not have the post-credits bit where it previewed all the guest stars that would be appearing?

Nope, all we had is blabbering sadly.

Well, that was different.  It's hard to put my finger on exactly what it was, but something about the episode and its cinematography felt very fresh, slicker than previous series; maybe it was the lighting, or maybe it was just the budget from the two lost episodes being spread around.  The writing and direction just felt like they were coming from a different place, a different angle.  I think I liked it; it feels like the new start I was looking for.  Jodie I think overeggs her performance a bit during the more technobabbly, sci-fi bits; but it's only Episode 1, and the rest of the time I didn't notice a problem.  It's an interesting start to a new era; I'm feeling fairly optimistic about it.

• Thumbs Up 2

I normally dislike Regeneration stories. Never like trying to get a feel of the new Doctor while it is too. This was no different, sussed the story in minutes.

Jodie did alright. Give her a few weeks, she'll grow into it. The young kids I don't remember much of. I liked Bradley Walsh, do you know why? Reminds me a lot of Brian Williams, aka Rory's Dad. I liked Brian 😄 The villain was kinda meh, very Predator like except with the hunter guy from Fallen Kingdom's tooth fetish. The feel of the episode was more cinematic, like the 8th Doctors movie.

My main complaint was the music was ambient, incidental electro stuff. Won't want a CD of that, I miss Murray Gold. So it was ok, just don't like Regeneration episodes. Please give us decent villains Chibnall.

People who are iffy about Jodie’s performance should remember that this is par for the course with every new Doctor. It’s usually not until their second series that they find their individuality.

5 hours ago, The Tenth Doctor said:

My main complaint was the music was ambient, incidental electro stuff. Won't want a CD of that

Well to be fair Gold was kind of like this too in series 1 of NuWho, only a few tracks stood out.

I dont mind ambient and incidental music, not every tune has to be epic or mind blowing.

For now let the themes come more natural, a common complaint about Gold is sometimes his themes were overblown and while I like his themes i sort of agree.

And if you are a fan of the classic series like I am ambient and incidental music was the classic series bread and butter.

As long as the series doesnt rely on stock sounds and stock tracks then its fine with me.

Plus there were a few times when the music in "the woman who fell to earth" was actually good.

Like when the Doctor made her first appearance, i loved the subtle Doctor who theme played

Then there was the small theme played at the climax, it wast the best but it was a good leitmotif.

If the theme they used when she was talking Tim Shaw down slowly evolved into her theme I can dig it.

People who are iffy about Jodie’s performance should remember that this is par for the course with every new Doctor. It’s usually not until their second series that they find their individuality.

Actually i think she knocked it out of the gate very much like how Smith and Capaldi did it.

Not so much Tennant as his first episode he was asleep almost the whole time. (but it was a good way to show off the concept of regeneration to the new audience)

Ecclestons first outing no complaints, as simplicity was needed to introduce the new series

Now when we talk about the classic series well...

The TV movie was a mess (poor Paul McGann)

Time and the Rani was a mess too (Stupid JNT!*)

The Twin Dilemma too (Stupid JNT!*)

Castrovalva was quite unique but convoluted (Stupid JNT!*)

Robot is stupid but fun

Spearhead from space is fantastic and the best regeneration story of all time

And well The Power of the Daleks in its original form is still sadly missing. Loved the reconstruction though!

And then a unearthly child... is well mixed in modern eyes.

*JNT John Nathan Turner the series showrunner whos run on the series is the most controversial even moreso than Russel T Davies and Moffat

So impressions of the ghost monument:

First: OPENING TITLES AGAIN! YEEE!!!!!!

Secondly: still a bit slow compared to the RTD/Moffat era but as a continuation of last weeks episode its fine.

Thirdly: seems like Chubnall really wants to push his new aliens the Stenza as a threat even though they dont make an appearance it seems they have been causing havoc in the background.

Fourth: The Leroy Jenkins moment :D

Fifth: while not the best story or the best ending we got to see the new TARDIS at last and well I do overall like it but i will say the crystal pillars are too big for me and I dont like the removal of the trademark center column of the show for a rather unexciting crystal.

Really am going to miss the movement of the center pillar mechanism as its the TARDIS moves about, all iterations have had some variation of this and now its sadly missing.

It's not clear whether the mention of the Stenza is intended to be world-building to make the new era feel more integrated, or part of an ongoing story arc.  Probably both, really, considering that the "Timeless Child" looks like obvious set-up for a Bad-Wolf-style set of hints at a series arc.  Of course, this series was supposed to be a set of ten completely standalone stories, so I guess that, having said goodbye to the era of "Moffat lies," we're now entering the era of "Chibnall lies"... and I have absolutely no problem with that.

The new TARDIS is very reminiscent of the Ninth and Tenth Doctors' post-reboot TARDIS; warm, cosy, and distinctly alien as opposed to the more technological look adopted by the later Eleventh and Twelfth Doctors.  Fits squarely with the overall approach they're taking with the new series, I think.

Thoughts on "Rosa":

First: Nice intro to the episode, and what the episode was leading to.

Second: Vortex manipulators

Third: racist from the future... yeah

Fourth: MLK!

Fifth: No big bad aliens, thank Rassilon! Just basic humanity both good and bad.

Sixth: Treated the subject with dignity and respect, small flash for those who likle the sci fi elements of doctor who but otherwise it was like a historical of old, I loved it!

AND THE TIME ROTOR IS BACK!

Yup this episode made me a happy man :D

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

I do think it's interesting that we're getting more historicals with a commitment to history.  With some of the past modern-era historicals, there's a sense that the historical event has just been a sort of backdrop rather than the point.  Mind you, we're still a long way from early Classic Who, which I gather would sometimes have pure historicals, no sci-fi whatsoever (outside of, you know, the main character).  For me, I think the perfect historical episode as a piece of entertainment as well as education would be one where we spend the entire episode thinking it's aliens behind everything - but no, it's just normal history.  Kind of like the Torchwood episode Countrycide, only with the past instead of Welsh people.

On 11/5/2018 at 2:32 AM, Earnest-Panda said:

We’re not getting a Christmas special this yes...we’re getting a New Years special instead.

Me sad.

A lot of places have been reporting this as "the Christmas special has been cancelled!!!", neglecting to mention the fact that it's actually just been moved back a week.  Considering that the Christmas specials have been getting gradually less Christmassy over time... does it really make that big a difference?

• 4 weeks later...

For goodness sake.

I know there's probably completely legit reasons for it but I was hoping that maybe we'd move on from the weird scheduling that the show's had (on and off) for, uh, years.

Oh, by the way, regarding the trailer for the New Years special they released:

Spoiler

There's no way it's not the Daleks, huh.

A funny old season.  By and large, I haven't found it particularly engaging or even surprising; I applaud their decision to go a bit more full-on with the historicals rather than having history be just a backdrop, but I'm not sure if they're doing anything particularly exciting with the historical aspects, either.  I've been thinking about why this is, and I wonder if it's because there's been a general lack of what might be termed "fun times"; or rather, adventure.  Team TARDIS appear to mostly have a pretty horrible time wherever they go, and I think this has a bit of a knock-on effect with viewers, too; combine that with the ensemble cast meaning that there's been a higher degree of "let's split up gang," and the result is that I don't really have a sense of how the characters interact as a group, what they actually like about each other.  Consider how little time they seem to spend in the TARDIS, for instance...  There have been a few alleviating moments; the incredibly camp rendition of King James I think added some much-needed levity, while Kerblam! felt the most like Old New Who.  Perhaps they'll pick up on this and improve on things next year... oh wait!

Yes, I'm not particularly impressed by the upcoming gap year, either.  I've been supportive of the previous couple of series' worth of episode count reductions on the grounds that "if it helps them get a series out the door each year, so be it"; but if they're cutting down to ten episodes and still can't manage a series a year, then that's not great, and perhaps reflects on the lack of wisdom in essentially changing over the entire production team along with the showrunner so that nobody working on the show has the necessary experience.  I may relent if it's at least January 2020 that we're looking at; and some people are arguing that this might be more about actor availability than anything else.  But even so!  It doesn't look good.

The New Year's Special, Resolution, actually looks quite different, though; lots of timefaring adventure and action, really going all-in on that "special" feeling.  Combined with the fact that it's almost certainly Of The Daleks, and maybe the show will start to feel a bit more like Doctor Who to me.

• 3 weeks later...

So in the end, is anyone going to comment on the New Year's Special?

I mostly liked it.  Some of the ideas felt like a sort of mosaic of previous Doctor Who episodes, but I think the blockbuster elements, the fear, the destruction, the chaos, added a lot of the excitement which was mostly lacking in the series which preceded this.  With that said, I was a bit disappointed that the international element didn't really amount to anything except trailer bait; the plot wouldn't have been any different if the Dalek pieces had just been scattered across England, or indeed not scattered at all.  And I think they should have leaned in harder to the steampunk Dalek element; at the end of the day, it mostly just looked like a slightly dodgy regular design, with a few high-tech elements which I don't really buy that you can bodge together from scrap metal on a farm.  It reminds me a bit of the Cybershades from a few Christmas specials ago, which had a great scrappy head but then the rest of their body was a fur coat; surely the visual design or the budget could have stretched a bit further.  Conversely, the human interest scenes could've been trimmed a bit, I think.

Great acting from the character of Lin, whether under Dalek possession or otherwise; seemed to be a pretty resilient Dalek considering that the metaphor is that they're weak and pathetic and only strong when they have their armoured shell, which is a no less relevant metaphor than ever, but the idea of it needing a pilot, a sort of shield to protect it because it can't do anything on its own, is still there.  With that said, the character is slightly ruined for me since I saw a suggestion out there that it should've been Yaz who was possessed by the Dalek, and wow, that would have been so much better; the stakes would have been personal and therefore higher for more of the episode, and it would actually give her something to do, which this episode still doesn't really manage.  You wouldn't even have to change the sequence of events that much!  For that matter, the Doctor herself seemed to be mainly there to exposit on Daleks and pilot the TARDIS; most of the flashpoint moments of crisis were strictly speaking taken care of by Ryan and his dad, and I have to say that female characters being possessed or useless while men save the day is not really the most amazing feminist vision.  If the Doctor had bodged up the microwave-oven into a Dalek-melting gadget, the episode would've been vastly improved, because I simply don't buy that humans and a kitchen appliance on their own could have accomplished this.

So.  Not a bad episode, overall; but like the rest of the series, it feels a bit undercooked.  Another draft would've taken it from good to great.