Awoo.

Doctor Who

Patticus

The problem with that Cas, was that Tennant said that the obvious answer wasn't right. So, either he did an RTD and lied, or the sound of drums is something un-connected to the Master and they said it to make us believe he wasn't in it. XD

Which is annoying because we have seen John Simm on set...ofcourse maybe...maybe the Drums are comming from The Doctor himself.

I do think David Tennant should have stayed as long as The Fourth Doctor Tom Baker did, but he still did quite alot of episodes regardless and Matt Smith is definitely shaping up to have alot of potential thus far in my eyes.

I think it would have been better if Eccleston had stayed on for another series, I preferred his Doctor over Tennant's

I think it would have been better if Eccleston had stayed on for another series, I preferred his Doctor over Tennant's

They couldn't afford to keep him for more than one season though, could they?

They couldn't afford to keep him for more than one season though, could they?

I don't see why not, Tennant gets a lot more than Eccleston did, and Eccleston quit because he feared being typecast...

I have a feeling he may regret that decision now.

I don't see why not, Tennant gets a lot more than Eccleston did, and Eccleston quit because he feared being typecast...

I have a feeling he may regret that decision now.

I mean on the budget they had back when Ecceslton quit, keep in mind Tennant was not anywhere near as big of an actor as he is now back then so he would have been alot cheaper to hire.

I mean on the budget they had back when Ecceslton quit, keep in mind Tennant was not anywhere near as big of an actor as he is now back then so he would have been alot cheaper to hire.

I don't know about that, he was quite a well known name in theatre circles, and he did have a huge sucessful series on BBC 3 just before he signed on to do Doctor who that was called.... lol.... Casanova.

Edited by Casanova

I don't know about that, he was quite a well known name in theatre circles, and he did have a huge sucessful series on BBC 3 just before he signed on to do Doctor who that was called.... lol.... Casanova.

I suppose, but how much bigger did he get after playing The Doctor? He's certainly known by alot more people now than he was before and is no doubt worth alot more as well.

Ecclestone's been in the tv/movie business for years, he could afford to leave after one series. Tennant wasn't, and has made a big name for himself through it.

• 2 weeks later...

After discovering http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dkTM2ppPPs, which I think is brilliant, it subsequently led me to look a little more into the show's premise and background, and now I have a faint interest in actually checking out this series.

The main problem is that not only is this series not (widely) available in America, but I don't even know where to start.

Can any avid Doctor Who fans direct me to some good starting points in the series? The vast amount of episodes, films, specials, and spin-offs is kind of overwhelming (and it doesn't sound like something I'd want to start watching from the beginning), and I'm not sure if this series follows one continuous plot line or is primarily made up of self-contained storylines. Besides that, I don't even know which series are good or bad.

Any help would be appreciated! This is a potential future Doctor Who watcher you're looking at, so your tips will determine the fate of this uninformed individual.

After discovering http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dkTM2ppPPs, which I think is brilliant, it subsequently led me to look a little more into the show's premise and background, and now I have a faint interest in actually checking out this series.

The main problem is that not only is this series not (widely) available in America, but I don't even know where to start.

Can any avid Doctor Who fans direct me to some good starting points in the series? The vast amount of episodes, films, specials, and spin-offs is kind of overwhelming (and it doesn't sound like something I'd want to start watching from the beginning), and I'm not sure if this series follows one continuous plot line or is primarily made up of self-contained storylines. Besides that, I don't even know which series are good or bad.

Any help would be appreciated! This is a potential future Doctor Who watcher you're looking at, so your tips will determine the fate of this uninformed individual.

I only just started watching the series about a month ago, and am loving it (especially the ever changing personality the Doctor, of course!) I too was unsure where to begin with, what with more than 700 episodes to go thru. But at the moment, I'm sticking with the new series, and catching up on it thru BBC3 and the BBC iPlayer. I suggest you might try the same. And get the rest on DVD if interested (next step for me for the classic series. Most likely rent it) And it's all in one plot, except for these two movies with Peter Cushing as the Doctor.

But I guess it's easy to pick up halfway thru in a way. They have a way of including tiny expositions.

And if I guess right, it's either the Sci-Fi channel or a US BBC channel where you can watch more of the new series.

Hope that helps, from somebody who also just started watching. And even with television budgets, it's still got some charm to lure you in, believe me!

I agree with above poster, it's best to start with the modern series (they refer to it by new titles, so it is "series 1" of the new show).

The production values (and often, acting too) start off VERY iffy, but if you stick with it, it gets better and better.

If you wanted a "trial" episode of one of the best, I would recommend episode episode 4 of Series 2 "The Girl In The Fireplace". This is one of the best (if not the best) "filler" episodes in the whole series. Obviously you'll be unfamiliar with the characters, but they make themselves known pretty fast in the ep, and it has a great amount of emotion, humour, and awesome use of time travel elements in it.

The best part is the guy who wrote this episode, Steven Moffat, is the one who'll be taking over the series when Matt Smith takes over the role of The Doctor after David Tennant.

Edited by JezMM

I'd start with the next series as it is a whole new Doctor, new companion and so it'll all be fresh.

The production values (and often, acting too) start off VERY iffy, but if you stick with it, it gets better and better.

Are you kidding me? Christopher Ecceslton was fantastic as The Ninth Doctor, as was Billie Piper as Rose.

I do prefer the 10th incarnation played my Tennant, but my point still stands.

Are you kidding me? Christopher Ecceslton was fantastic as The Ninth Doctor, as was Billie Piper as Rose.

Oh, the main two are fine, it's all the one-time characters who are far too often awfully acted, especially cheesy death scenes.

The Charles Dickens episode was an exception, that had fantastic actors.

When you've seen the first series or two of the new one, you'll know enough to be able to go back and see the old series. But it's best to get them on DVD, as they happen to be serials. As in, multiple-part stories.

Best start off with the new series from Series 1 (as some others have said), the one that stars Christopher Eccleston. It's a good introduction to the series and stuff.

Then if you prefer, you can also always go back to previous series with the other Doctors like I did. I actually watched almost all the episodes of the very first Doctor after finishing Series 1 out of curiousity! =)

Ah, okay. I didn't realize until today that Doctor Who was only recently re-launched in 2005, rather than it being one continuous series since its initial air date. I was also confused on whether it was a continuation or a reboot altogether.

I'm torrenting the first series as we speak, since I don't think it's on any stations I receive. Thanks for the tips, guys - I'll be sure to relate my views of it here. I've watched clips from a couple of other episodes (including one spoilerific episode, Utopia), and it looks intriguing enough.

Yeah, the start of the re-launch is a pretty good place to start, it isn't technically a continuity reset, but all the elements from the previous series tend to be re-introduced and defined for people who didn't see the original program, so you could definately enjoy and understand it without seeing the older episodes.

Edited by FeathersMcGraw

Just be aware that a lot of the acting and writing in many episodes is pretty dire, but on the few occasions it's done well and everything comes together it really is some of the best stuff on television.

Am I the only person who thinks Doctor Who is awful?

I feel left out. Am I missing something? Like, I figure you probably have to look past the appaulingly low budget and bad acting and fans are awear of it's faults but it has charm somewhere. But seriously, what is the appeal?

The few good/great episodes there are each season are well worth wading through the rest of the dross. Plus, the show is in new hands now, we should expect a significant rise in writing quality and hopefully acting as well.

Am I the only person who thinks Doctor Who is awful?

I feel left out. Am I missing something? Like, I figure you probably have to look past the appaulingly low budget and bad acting and fans are awear of it's faults but it has charm somewhere. But seriously, what is the appeal?

Pretty much what you said.

If you want an example of Doctor Who at it's best, you have two choices: Watch the episodes written by Steven Moffat, or sit through the whole series to be able to appreciate the series finales.

That's when Doctor Who becomes, as Ashubanipul said, some of the best stuff on TV.