Awoo.

Doctor Who

Patticus

Yay, no Daleks!

Also, I can understand 2012 not having a full Series, with the end of the world and all2013 being the 50th Anniversary.

I wouldn't have thought so. I suspect its likely to mean something else.

But then again, you never can be sure of what twists they've got planned.

We've only seen glimpses of River's life; there are many decades of her time on Earth that we have not seen or heard of.

And PSI, why not give both 2012 and 2013 full series'? Would that be so hard?

We've only seen glimpses of River's life; there are many decades of her time on Earth that we have not seen or heard of.

And PSI, why not give both 2012 and 2013 full series'? Would that be so hard?

I agree if they can afford to show depressing Eastenders nearly every bloody day and dull stuff like Strictly Come Dancing they afford a season of Doctor Who! <_<

I never saw the big appeal to Torchwood. I mean, I know it's supposed to be more adult than DW, but I think it's TOO adult.

Has anyone else been following the new Torchwood?

I have.

It's awful.

4 series and it's still unwatchable tosh.

Series 1 was awful, Series 2 was somewhat better, Children Of Earth was sometimes masterful and from the middle on became a truly great piece of television. Miracle Day is up and down so far (I've only seen the first two eps) but is suffering badly from being written by Russel T. Davies (he's the head writer). The BBC desperately needs a better head writer for these kinds of things because RTD has, with the notable exception of Children of Earth (the exception proving the rule, perhaps), only managed to contribute bilge to the Doctor Who and Torchwood series'.

RTD has, with the notable exception of Children of Earth (the exception proving the rule, perhaps), only managed to contribute bilge to the Doctor Who and Torchwood series'.

You missed out 'Midnight'

Regardless of the occasional masterpiece, the overwhelming majority of RTD's work on Doctor Who and Torchwood is and has been shoddily written tripe.

That's a fair enough assumption. I think the RTD Era would've been better if he didn't write it, just produced it. Apart from the good ones, of course.

He'd be better as an occasional guest writer, like Moffat used to be. That way any writing talent he does have could actually stand a chance of being made use of.

I like Torchwood! :mellow:

As do I but this Miracle day season has been a disappointment so far. I was really looking forward to it too.

And so the credits roll on episode 3.

I can't really decide if I like it or not. I really liked the concept of the story and I liked the first episode, but the second and the third have sorta... ... ... well... not really gone anywhere.

The first episode established the stitation and the various rules, the second... well... nothing much happened other than we found out that Jack can die. Tonight we found out that there might be a company who knew that miracle day was coming or might have had a hand in it.

But otherwise... not much happened again, well other than Oswald is getting more and more public support. It's 3 episodes in and we still don't really know too much as to whats going on other than "People don't die" and the question as to what is death keeps popping up and how society reacts to it. Which is an interesting discussion but it just doesn't really go anywhere.

I can't help but wonder if it's worth just picking up the DVD at the end of the series and watch it all in one go?

• 3 weeks later...

So, watching one episode of Series 6 a day leading up to Episode 8. Just watched "Day of the Moon", and I just realized something.

After River is done shooting most of the Silence when everyone else is in the TARDIS, she says:

tumblr_lqcuhiLqCr1qd2mamo1_500.jpg

"My old fella didn’t see that did he? He gets ever so cross."

Now, look who's behind her........

You want this thread back up yeah?

I didn't really get most of it. Is the River Song story over now, the rest of the focus on her pre-River adventure?

Spoilers

Don't know if I liked it or not.

For an episode that was called 'lets kill hitler' there was a distinct lack of hitler in the actual episode... "Hello I'm hitler, you saved my life" "Quick! To the cuboard with him!"

I suppose that the potential connection is that the Silence view the doctor as being equal to Hitler is some degree, therefore it could have been called 'lets kill the doctor.'

Otherwise it was a bit all over the place.

"Mel! Mel! What are you doing here!?"

Who is this mel? Why is she so important all of a sudden? Why is the first quarter of the episode dedicated to her? Oh it's River... right...

I thought that the justice robot was quite cool, liked the idea of it.

The duel between the Doctor and River was something else I really liked, even if it was a tad far fetched.

But I think that one of the main problems I had with the episode is that, it's called "Lets Kill Hitler" the advertising for it made the episode out to look like it would be some kind of ultimate moral dilemma for the Doctor, that there would be some kind of story where he had to work with Hitler and not change history in some way.

Yet hitler is on screen for about 60 seconds, he then gets put in the cuboard... and the rest of the story just continues as normal.

In fact, take out the setting, timeline, the title and put it in contemporary London, it would be the exact same episode. It just felt like a bit of a wasted opportunity to do something really interesting.

The start too was a little "Have you found my Daughter! You've had all summer!" the Doctors reply is pretty much "No... ..."

Fish Fingers and Custard scene: Ok so I like the cameos of the past companions, then when we get to young Amy Pond who says "Fish Fingers and custard" Exactly what was the point in this scene!? I thought that it would be some kind of cure for the doctor or something. But instead it was just so that he could fly the tardis to the location of River... which he didn't yet know?

The end was also a bit daf too. "I am going to kill you doctor! HAHAHA!"

One final thing that bugged me a little. The timelords age in hundreds of years right? So I'm guessing that because Mel she doesn't age at the same rate as the timelords? Which is why she was able to age along with Amy and Rory during their school years?

I think that the main gripe I have is that, it was a really good idea for a setting, the build up had been that it would be some kind of adventure involving Hitler and maybe some kind of moral dilema for the Doctor... yet it just felt like a pointless backdrop. It could have happened in any location in any time.

Spoiler tags dears.

Favourite episode of the season so far.

A great episode and a very exciting opening to the second part of the series. Though I think the first half of the episode was more enjoyable than the latter.

Some brilliantly funny lines as well, most notably:

When Rory says "I'm getting this banging in my head" and Amy replies "Yeah, I think thats Hitler in the cupboard".

Edited by Doctor Sοnic

While I thought the episode in general was very good along with the acting, there were some quirks I had with it:

For an episode title of "Let's Kill Hitler", Hitler only appearing for a brief moment was very disappointing. The episode title should have been "Let's have Hitler appear for 60 seconds, then focus on Mel for the rest of the episode". The buildup for it made it look like it was going to involve something big with Hitler.

I also agree with Hogfather with the plot in general being all over the place. One moment we got a scene with Hitler, the next moment we have a scene involving Mel, then something else happens later on.

My thoughts...

Like others I did enjoy it, but I don't think it was the best. As others have pointed out, Hitler where around for a few seconds and then shoved into a cupboard not to be seen again. Mel randomly appearing at the start bugged me, was she mentioned at all previously? I was really confused for a moment then just went with it.

I did like the flashbacks of them being younger and growing up together. I did wonder if she might be River at one point, then she was.

I liked the justice robot, nice idea.

The whole scene with guns being swapped about etc was funny, as where some lines.

I still don't understand the fish fingers and custard thing, what did that achieve? I thought it might be what cures him, but no...so...what did it do? I liked seeing the past companions in a way...even if I didn't really like any of them except Donna.

I like that she used up her regenerations and that's why she always looks the same now, and I liked the tie ups of her doing archeology etc.

But yeah, could have set it any other time and it would be the same episode, why Hitler? It felt gimmicky which is something I really didn't want it to be. *sad face*

Edited by Mollfie

I agree with the above the use of Nazis was disapointing I was expecting more. sad.png

Mel's character came out of nowhere, the entire episode was all over the place and it was very WTF. Me and Mum were confused until the end were it made a little more sense. I just felt this episode was used to tie up a few loose ends and the lack of Nazis was the most disapointing bit, but still found it entertaining. Glad next week seems more like a more 'normal' episode of Doctor Who.

:)