Awoo.

Doctor Who

Patticus

I don't understand why they're wheeling Torchwood out again next year. This series has been nothing like as good as Children Of Earth, it's as if Davies (Why is he still involved!?) has completely forgotten why it was great to begin with. Miracle Day was such a simple concept, it held such great promise, and Davies has gone and fucked it up. It's becoming increasingly clear that he is terrible at 12+ part series', as he seems to produce much better material if he's working on a mini-series or individual episodes rather than entire series'. So either get rid of him or force him to take Torchwood back to its 5-part COE greatness.

Apparently that "Jack Will Be Back" thing is for repeats, from what I've heard. I'd love to see Moffat, Gatiss or Neil Gaiman have a shot at Torchwood.

The Girl Who Waited was good - the ending was of course predictable and inevitable, but it was brilliantly performed and the ambience of the Kindness Facility was done superbly. It felt so sterile and sinister, and I echo the sentiment that the whole thing had a very Portal/GLaDOS vibe to it. I had to suspend my belief a bit more than usual at

what older-Amy had done during those 30-something years (not just surviving, but what she'd learned and built - the Sonic Probe, particularly)

but it really was an enjoyable and heart-wrenching story. Mm-hmm.

• Thumbs Up 1

Okay, so I haven't posted here as yet about the return of Doctor Who... mostly because my overall attitude has been "Really?"

The break in this year's season wasn't something I supported, and while all the cliffhangers were exciting, they were also slightly tedious and frustrating. When they returned with "Let's Kill Hitler" there was an odd vibe of "Are you really going to bother?" which ran through me. I missed it on television and caught up a few days later on BBC iPlayer. It was a fun episode, but didn't grab me. Neither did the following week's show, another I didn't rush to see, about monsters and cupboards. It also looked really, really cheap.

Today I sat down with a spare forty-five minutes and loaded up "The Girl Who Waited" again on BBC iPlayer. I wasn't expecting anything special, and it was mostly out of duty more than anything else. Y'know... I'm English, this is apparently our greatest television show... something like that.

I'm so glad I did.

This episode reminded me why I adore the new incarnation of Doctor Who. Ever since Christopher Ecclestone pointed a massive gun at a dying Dalek in the first season, I've been hooked by the ability for such a fantastical, far-out science fiction show to display such humanity. David Tennant did it best and I adored his years, but lately I felt the adventure, the complications, the plot twists and the comedy all overtook the heart and soul of the show (annoyingly, too, since we've got our first husband and wife companions, played by great actors, which could lead to so many potentially awesome episode storylines). Suddenly came "The Girl Who Waited" and it was everything the modern show should be: incredible to look at, exciting to watch and emotionally dramatic. I cried at the end. Cried like you wouldn't believe.

Shame next week looks like a return to running around some corridors, but this episode was just downright perfect. I adored it.

I thought it was good but I wasn't blown away by it. Some things I found a little hard to beleive but anything could happen in 36 years. I thought they did pretty well with making her look older, although it always bugs me when they only really do the face/neck. I thought the ending was a little predictable but it was still good. I really like having an episode where Rory was a really central character.

So far I've not been wowed, so I hope they pull it out of the bag later on.

It was a very good Episode, though to be honest it definitely felt like a Doctor Lite episode. Which isn't an issue, as Doctor Lite stories can be very good. (Blink and Turn Left spring to mind). Focussing on the relationship between Rory and Amy was both neccesary at this point and very much welcome. I was a bit concerned that they were still peddling the 'Is Amy still fancying the Doctor' bullshit at the beginning of this series, but this pretty much shows that Rory well and truly is the one for her. Not only that, but I loved the friction it created between the Doctor and Rory. We needed some of that.

Like all of you, I thought that it was a fantastic episode, the best one in ages. For me, the closing few minutes summed up how well-judged Smith's incarnation of the Doctor is and how off-course things went during Tennant's tenure. Closing the door on Amy? Lying to them all about the TARDIS supporting the paradox? Nary a hint of remorse or upset? Tennant's Doctor would've gone all teary-eyed, muttered "I'm so, so sorry" and then changed his mind, opened the door and gone "Room for one more! Allons-y!"

Shame next week looks like a return to running around some corridors, but this episode was just downright perfect. I adored it.

The Weeping Angels are in next weeks episode .__.

The Weeping Angels are in next weeks episode .__.

I have a feeling that every nemesis appearing in the next episode will only play a cameo role. The Angels won't be the primary foes of the show by any means. I wonder who the Doctor's demon will be? Himself, perhaps?

I have a feeling that every nemesis appearing in the next episode will only play a cameo role. The Angels won't be the primary foes of the show by any means. I wonder who the Doctor's demon will be? Himself, perhaps?

Didn't they kinda already do that with the Dream Lord last season?

Finally getting round to posting my comments on last weeks episode 'The Girl Who Waited'.

I thought it was good, though not one of the best. I did enjoy it though, there was some very good acting from the regulars. Though I think the best thing about the episode was the set design (and the design of the robots) which I thought was very well done for something so simple.

Edited by Doctor Sοnic

The God Complex: Biggest letdown of the second half so far, but it wasn't a bad episode. I just felt it was a bit weak, wasn't scary and was kinda miffed with the whole 'Monster that makes everyone think it's god' plot. Felt like an anti-faith message, and those can feck right off in my opinion tongue.png

The acting was good as always though. Was quite happy that they made the David Walliams character...

Be more of a villain in some ways than the bloody minotaur.

Edited by Gerkuman

I really liked this episode. Firstly, I wouldn't say it was anti-faith,

it was about a monster that fed off faith.

Even if it was, it wouldn't bother me. Anyway, although I didn't find this episode to be all that scarey, I think the concept was a really good one. I really liked the monster and thought the design was really quite gorgeous in it's own way. I also liked the ending, although it came a little out of nowhere. Only down side to the episode was that I kind of figured it all out pretty quickly. But it was still enjoyable, better than the last couple of episodes.

Edited by Mollfie

"The God Complex" was pretty good. Pretty underwhelming from what I was expecting, especially compared to what's been on show with the recent Doctor Who episodes.

Next week looks great though. Only two more left until no more Who until next year. :(

Read several reviews on the web about this recent ep. I have to admit this recent season has been an eye opener.

Curious how they will wrap up 2011. Btw any follow up to a possible DW reunion?

They won't wrap everything up this year, they can't; there are too many plot strands to tie up. The Doctor may very well end this season dead, actually. We seem to be in the midst of a long overarching plot that stretches over several seasons. It'll be interesting to see how they wrap it all up in the end, whenever that end may be.

Just got finished watching this weeks episode. I thought it was decent, although not as good as some of the previous episodes. With only 2 episodes left, I'm interested to see how it's all going to end for this particular season.

We seem to be in the midst of a long overarching plot that stretches over several seasons.

I agree. The way the plot is going, it sure doesn't seem like it would all done within one season.

Finally saw The God Complex. I did enjoy it, quite a lot, actually, although I agree that it was a bit weaker than some of the other stories we've had this season. I don't think the story was anti-faith, at all. If anything, it was about how important faith is in defining an individual, and how powerful faith can be. That faith can be bondage, but can also be freedom. It wasn't implying that faith isn't real or that all faith is misguided. Just that faith is common to almost all of us in SOME form, and can make OR break us. Or it could just be a silly story about a guy in a Minotaur fursuit who happens to be an emotional vampire. I dunno. It was fun, anyway, even if it was ridiculously predictable.

Well, it looks like Madame Kovarian has got to work on her plan. Maybe she's a high ranking member/leader of the Silence, so that's why those aliens are there, and she's activated some sort of thing that's brainwashed Amy, Rory and River to do her bidding. And whatever the Doctor is holding is the key to it all.

I dunno, really.