Awoo.

Doctor Who

Patticus

Oh and is anyone else hoping we'll be seeing remote control Cybermats arriving in Toy shops sometime in near future? I've been wanting one since I was a kid.

Exactly what I was thinking. I'd love that.

Nice to see this episode receiving some positive feedback. The recent season ties up lots of loose ends, and makes a few more.

Just revisited series 2 with DT, Neat how certain characters made a come back. Both friend or foe.

Right, that's Series 6 of Doctor Who over and done with then. And having now seen the finale, I think it's fair to say that - in my opinion - this has been one of the weakest series since the revival.

Don't get me wrong, it's not been terrible. Episodes like The Doctor's Wife and The Girl Who Waited were absolute classics, and the Silence are a really good new monster (and more importantly, the first finale-worthy monster that isn't returning from the original episodes - all the others have just been Daleks, Cybermen and The Master!). But the general tone of it all just didn't click with me. Straight from the off, when The Doctor gets killed in the first ten minutes of The Impossible Astronaut, I knew something was going to be a bit iffy about it. Curse of the Black Spot was forgettable and the Flesh two-parter was dull as far as I'm concerned, albeit having a very intriguing cliffhanger ending leading into A Good Man Goes To War - which in turn, had quite a weak cliffhanger (come on, it WAS predictable) despite being the whole reason for the mid-series split.

Onto Series 6 Part 2, which has been a bit up and down in terms of quality also. Let's Kill Hitler, while completely ignoring a brilliant moral concept that I really hope they revisit at some point, was an exciting opening and Night Terrors was... okay, I suppose? Some witty lines, but nothing overly special. I couldn't get into The God Complex aside from the ending and Closing Time was undoubtedly good for a laugh but the threat was non-existent and "the power of love" get-out is about as cheap as they come.

(rest of post in spoiler tags due to... well, spoilers!)

Well, until the get-out to The Wedding of River Song, anyway.

Again, it wasn't a bad episode. It just seriously lacked the atmosphere that I'd expect from a finale, and even though all of reality was collapsing in on itself I never felt like there was a major threat. It was just a huge build-up to finding out how The Doctor escapes his fate and, frankly, I was let down. As soon as it became apparent that it would be revealed right at the very end of the episode, I knew it would have to be something half-baked, and I wasn't wrong. So we have to believe that the Tessellector can regenerate (surely a Flesh copy would have made more sense, and even that would have been a poor excuse)? And that The Doctor can cheat time itself simply by being in the right spot at the right time but not actually being the one to get shot? I thought the fixed point in time was him dying, not him being on the beach. Cheap, cheap get-out.

I'm also getting really sick of River Song now. I know she's a vital character to Moffat's story arcs, but it's becoming a little bit excessive. This entire series has been about her and unfortunately it looks like future ones are going to revolve about her too, I was really hoping at the end of this one she would head off to the library to meet her own fate. Oh well, as long as she doesn't hog the limelight in the 50th anniversary, I'll stomach it.

On the plus side though - I really really liked Karen Gillan in this episode, and I'm glad to see that she'll be back, the door is left wide open for her and Rory to return. Plus we have the set-up for Series 7 and beyond - I'm guessing that next year will be all about this Trenzalore place, and then the 50th anniversary will answer the question hidden in plain sight... "Doctor Who?"

One more minor grievance - we still don't know why the Silence blew up the TARDIS at the end of Series 5. Come on Moffat, just tell us already!

And that my friends, is that. Until 25th December.

So after a snag where our live recording randomly changed the channel on us near the end, I've finally watched it.

*JOYFACE*

And that is all I need to say.

Been a bit confused by some of the questions of the fans. Like the people asking why the Silence tried to blow up the TARDIS despite the answer already being given. The Silence want The Doctor dead. So therefore, how would blowing up the TARDIS not kill him? It was their opening salvo, Plan A. Now they've done plan B. I wonder what Plan C will be.

Because believe me, there probably will be a Plan C.

Like all of the arc-related episodes this series, I feel like the finale had plenty of good elements in it but the overall package was fairly lackluster. The all-of-time-happening-at-once stuff was delightfully campy (I especially loved the Dickens cameo), the tribute to the Brigadier was brief but clearly heartfelt and the performances were as good as always, but the actual story was pretty underwhelming. It didn't build up from A Good Man so much as it just... continued. I've always found the "fixed point in time" concept pretty weak, so building a whole season's drama around the threat of breaking that rule didn't impress me much, and while the end result was fun, it was also pretty much a retread of last year's finale.

Honestly, series 6 is in the running for my least favourite of the new series, which is especially disappointing because I loved the hell out of series 5. It had some great episodes in it (The Doctor's Wife in particular might be my favourite episode of the entire new series), but the story arc was self-indulgent, poorly paced and redundant, and while River was still fun most of the time, I feel like she worked much better as a mystery than as the centre of attention. I don't know... maybe I'd appreciate it all more if I re-watched everything in a shorter span of time.

I can't say I'm looking forward to a whole season about "the question", either. I'm starting to get awfully tired of guest characters coyly whispering arc phrases and the whole universe being at stake (and all of it revolving around the Doctor, of course). It's a bit scary that the first-series finale, where a character absorbed all of time and space and briefly became God, is small-scale by comparison.

Also, since I'm in whining mode anyway: "timey wimey" is seriously starting to get on my nerves. It was cute the first three or four times, but jeez.

Absolutely loved the finale last night, really top class episode and suitably timey wimey - I especially liked how the Doctor used that very phrase to describe River's little project atop the pyramid. I can understand how people might think the series was weak, it certainly felt quite different to past series', but when I look at past series', there tends to be a roughly 50/50 split between good episodes and bad; as in, half the series is good, half bad, and I think that the last series got it to be at least 70/30 in favour of good episodes, so I'm happy.

Can't wait to see what the Christmas special's all about. :)

A quote from the finale, spoilered in case someone hasn't seen it:

"On the Fields of Trenzalore, on the Fall of the Eleventh, when no living creature can speak falsely or fail to answer, a question will be asked. A question that must never ever be answered."

My speculation thereupon:

Does anyone else think that the "Fall of the Eleventh" means the fall of the eleventh Doctor, the Matt Smith Doctor's final appearance? Is it a hint at things to come?

@Pat: Probably.

Now my opinions on the series as a whole.... patchy. There's been some great strides forward in storytelling but some strides back in the consistancy department.

Doctor Who was good at both being smart and scifi and also being heartfelt. During RTD's time, the heartfelt really turned to angst and emotionalism and while that worked for a bit, it became too much.... You can probably guess where I'm going with this.

Unlike a lot of casual fans are saying, Moff should not tone down the smartness of Doctor Who. But I feel like some of the heartfeltness has slipped away accidentally, and the Moff needs to get it back if he wants to gain the consistancy back again. Part of the reason The Doctor's Wife and The Girl Who Waited were so popular was because it got the balance pretty much spot on.

That's what I think anyway.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would be fine with that, so long as it didn't turn the next series into a Donna-style "cry in every episode" affair.

For whatever reason, whenever I try and picture what the Fields of Trenzalore might look like, I always come up with a huge Narnia-style grassy flood plain with a tall, spiky, snow-capped mountain range encircling it on at least two sides, and perhaps a futuristic citadel is nestled into the mountainous wall of the far side of the plain, glinting in the sunshine. The Doctor would be stood atop a rocky outcrop, surveying the scene. A crowd of followers might be gathered on the plain below, or a hostile army might be arrayed before him.

My expectation cannot possibly be realised. icon_lol.gif

I would be fine with that, so long as it didn't turn the next series into a Donna-style "cry in every episode" affair.

Yeah, as I said before RTD took it WAAAY too far in that direction. Donna still kicks butt though, IMO.

Donna was a great companion, but the constant weeping became very tiresome after the third or so episode of the season. Midnight was a relief and a half, I tell you! I'm actually kinda glad they've toned that way down lately; it's good to see from time to time, it's necessary, but please not in every episode, maybe not even in every other episode.

• 4 weeks later...

Some words from the people who make this show great:

Steven Moffat:

On the Doctor’s fame: “We’re going to explore that properly next series. The Doctor’s project is to sort of erase himself from history because there’s only so many times you can stand and boast at Stonehenge”

On the heavier story arc: “I don’t think Doctor Who will ever be as arc-driven again”

Due to the increased interest from the title ‘Let’s Kill Hitler’, Moffat has told the writers to really “slut it up” and “write it like a movie poster. Let’s do big, huge, mad ideas”

On Amy, Rory and River: “I do have an end game for all of them”

On River: “You realise you’ve learned nothing. She may or may not be married to the Doctor, depending on whether that was actually a marriage ceremony, or whether it counts if he’s inside a giant robot replica of himself”

On his future as showrunner: “Even though I’m more tired than I’ve ever been, I don’t feel any impulse to leave”

Matt Smith:

On the first two episodes: “Steven told me the pitch for episodes 1 and 2 and it’s so brilliant. I got really excited. It’s got lots of things I like. There are some extraordinary times ahead”

On his 2012 and beyond: “I get to go into the 50th anniversary which is really cool. That’s incredibly exciting”

On the Series 7 break: “It’s a risk, I guess. But a good one”

Karen Gillan:

Karen says she is very happy about her role in Series 7 but adds: “When I leave properly, that’s it. I don’t want Amy to pop up again every so often, because for me it would take away from the big, emotional goodbye. I’m definite on that”

On whether Amy could be killed off: “I think it could be done, if you tackled it right

• 3 weeks later...

Heard about that a while ago. It seems really weird to me that they'd keep the movie out of continuity with the TV series; I mean, it's not like Doctor Who is a series with a lot of continuity baggage that'd bog down a movie for new audiences. He's a dude with a time box. There's basically nothing simpler.

Anyway, I'm really curious to see what direction this will go. Hopefully we'll at least get to see some classic Doctor Who monsters on the big screen.

• 4 weeks later...

A major piece of news here (for long term fans at least), two missing Doctor Who episodes have been recovered!!

The episodes found are episode 3 of the William Hartnell story 'Galaxy 4' and episode 2 of the Patrick Troughton story 'The Underwater Menace'.

Full details:

The BBC revealed today that two complete episodes of Doctor Who have been returned to the BBC Archives.

Firstly, the complete third episode of the William Hartnell story Galaxy 4, Air Lock has been recovered - prior to this only a short segment from the first episode remained in the archive with no telesnaps taken to show how the third episode and its characters would have looked.

Secondly, the complete second episode of Patrick Troughton's third story The Underwater Menace has also been recovered - making this the earliest complete episode for the Second Doctor to now exist in the Archives (alongside the existing episode three).

Both episodes were shown this afternoon at the British Film Institute's Missing Believed Wiped event - the first time they've been seen in the United Kingdom since their original transmission! (Air Lock was originally seen on 25th September 1965, with The Underwater Menace episode two on 21st January 1968.)

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh cool. I hope one day, all the missing episodes are brought back.

Also: Old, but Christmas Special trailer:

[media

Edited by PSI Freeze

Doctor Who movie by David Yates announced http://www.dailymail...o=feeds-newsxml

According to Private Eye #1302, Moffat didn't know David Yates had signed on to direct until everyone else found out when the BBC announced it. As part of Moffat agreeing to be showrunner was him being given advance warning if the BBC ever decided to do a movie, he can't have been happy.

Private Eye also says senior BBC staff have begun openly describing Moffat as "a problem" which suggests he won't be showrunner much longer either.

According to Private Eye #1302, Moffat didn't know David Yates had signed on to direct until everyone else found out when the BBC announced it. As part of Moffat agreeing to be showrunner was him being given advance warning if the BBC ever decided to do a movie, he can't have been happy.

Private Eye also says senior BBC staff have begun openly describing Moffat as "a problem" which suggests he won't be showrunner much longer either.

Moffat's one of the best things to happen to the series. BBC, don't get rid of him.

That's unfortunate. Is there a web version of this info I can peruse?

Moffat's one of the best things to happen to the series. BBC, don't get rid of him.

I quite agree, but the back-stage politics may just be the end of him. If RTD takes over again I'll be so pissed off.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah if people behind the scenes are not happy, then it can mean the end of moffat regardless as to what fans think of him, it's happened lots of times before in other flagship shows on the BBC, not just with writers, but also big named stars.

Private Eye, they're not normally known for making stuff up as apposed from just reporting things in a mocking way, so chances are what they're saying is accurate, but it will most likely depend on who said it to them, e.g. is 'senior BBC staff' lots of people, or maybe just two people who don't like him that much?

I think he'll get another season, and hopefully if he keeps it consistant then he should be ok. Afterall, RTD's 2nd season wasn't exactly that great, and they gave him another try.

Private Eye only seems to have stuff from the most recent issue on their website but I found these:

http://www.bleedingc...-steven-moffat/

http://www.kasterbor...eplytocom=17486

The latter also covers the BBC vastly overcharging for the official Doctor Who convention.

This isn’t all that you will find in Private Eye, however. BBC Worldwide’s Doctor Who convention in Cardiff next year has drawn criticism for being too expensive (£99 per day), charging £20 or £25 for a photograph and autograph with Matt Smith and Steven Moffat (the latter now offered gratis) and for the organizers suggesting that “children do not attend.”

lol m8

tumblr_lvz0rqu0eM1r7mf4po1_500.gif

tumblr_lvytnae83M1r7mf4po1_500.gif