Awoo.

Doctor Who

Patticus

Am I the only one who thinks that since there were no ill effects of the Doctor changing a fixed point in time that the Time Lords have had a hand in it? Cuasing Adalide to die so that the Reapers wont return.

I don't think they caused it. She was bright enough to know what the doctor did was wrong.

• 5 weeks later...

Best episode ever! Matt Smith wont be better than david though, david is one of the best actors ive ever seen SIMPLY AMAZING¬

Best episode ever! Matt Smith wont be better than david though, david is one of the best actors ive ever seen SIMPLY AMAZING¬

I think we should wait until his series starts before we condem him totally.

Really good episode I thought. I think that the saddest part for me was when he visits his friends and he doesn't have to say a word... they all know why he's come to see them and all know whats going to happen... except for Rose.

The death was incredibly over glamourised, no other doctor has been given treatment like that. When Chris Eccleston (probably wrong name, been years now...) regenerated into David Tennant it just sort of... happened, no vagina mouth thing singing to him, no visits to anyone, just... death. Obviously it was because David was so popular of course.

Matt seemed like he was trying too hard to be David, acting silly and copying his voice, yeah yeah yeah we've only seen two seconds of him but still...

Also, BILLIE PIPER AGAIN <3

I know it breaks all the 'rules' of the Whoverse but I really hope she actually has a part in the future, it'd be an interesting way to bring back Tennant for an episode as well.

Am I the only one who thought that events necessitating his regeneration felt like a total plot convenience? =/

The last fifteen minutes of cameos and the regeneration itself were epic, although as others have mentioned, it did seem like they were likening it a bit too much to death compared to previous regenerations.

Edited by Mahzes

Every single doctor before 10 either had regeneration thrust upon them, or had to choose it really quickly. This is the first time he's ever got the chance to angst over his streak of martyrdom, and spend some time saying goodbye. Not a bad episode overall, and a fairly good goodbye to RTD.

I have the feeling though that Moffat didn't want Russel's characters to come back, so RTD had to write an ending for all of them.

Edited by Gerkuman

You know, the scene were he says "I don't want to go" I think that was partially David speaking, not just The Doctor.

You know, the scene were he says "I don't want to go" I think that was partially David speaking, not just The Doctor.

I concur; in fact, when he said that line, it made me realise how much I didn't want him to go, either - I had a real lump in my throat... :(

I wasn't entirely impressed with the finale, if I'm honest. The whole thing just felt incredibly thrown together. I loved the cameos at the end (especially Rose's) though. I can't say I'm too enamored with Matt Smith just yet, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. He's got some big shoes to fill.

I will give the new guy a fair shot, but... I nearly did cry saying goodbye to Ten. I adore Tennant, I really do, and I hope to see him acting in other things soon (I did see him in Hamlet ^^). Can't say I like the (physical) look of the new Doctor, nor did I like how he seemed to be trying to copy Ten's exact way of speaking... but hopefully he'll grow into his own with an individual personality and charm of his own. But long live Ten!

We could lampshade Matt acting just like David as the regeneration not finishing, but by the time we next see him he'll be his own self.

Was much better than the surreal thing that was Part 1. Really enjoyed it.

I'll admit, it was a tearjerking ending, but it was mostly Bernard Cribbin's lovable old face during the sad scenes that got me. What a lovely final companion.

Looking forward to Matt Smith. I loved Tennant but I do think he would have got boring if he went beyond this. Russel T Davies special brand of silliness also made me crave a fresh start for the overall writing too.

Ah, Bernard. From Right Said Fred to this magnificent piece of acting talent... does this man's talent know no end? I felt that the choice to make him such a pivotal character in Ten's grand finale was perfect... It just, well, worked.

Enjoyed both the specials myself, especially the cast of Tennant, Cribbins, Simm and Dalton. And the final 15 minutes with the Tenth Doctor were a big tear jearker to watch through, just seeing him saying goodbye to everyone, both the characters and the audience.

Even if David Tennant is so far my favourite Doctor, I still am looking forward to Matt Smith as the Eleventh Doctor and see how the series fares under Moffat's lead.

It was certainly nice to see the Time Lords as more or less the same incompetent jerks they were throughout most of the classic series, and the somewhat mystic element they had was a nice touch. The acting was very nice, several of the plot elements were quite unique and everything was wrapped up securely in time for the new era. I actually sort of enjoyed the "oh, yeah, by the way" nature of the Doctor's death, as well; it just seemed to fit, somehow.

With all of that going for them, though, I still didn't really like the specials. That's a problem I've had with a lot of the series finales: there are a lot of elements I like, but the end product is never quite the sum of its parts. Aside from the regeneration and the last scene with Smith, I'm not really tempted to rewatch it at all.

I did like End of Time, but, I felt it suffered from Part 1 being too hectic, and Part 2 being too spaced out. But RTD often does that when writing. I did enjoy Simm playing the Master again, and the end was rather touching

But now I'm waiting for Moffat's writing to kick in now. From the trailer on the site it seems to be rather action packed, and the monsters from Blink are back =D

Part 2 of The End of Time was brilliant simply because of the list Tennant reeled off of all the evil shit that'd come back if the Time Lords themselves returned.

• 3 weeks later...

Bill Nighy to guest star in Doctor Who

Bill Nighy is to guest star in an episode of the new series of Doctor Who, Digital Spy can reveal.

The veteran actor will play the curator of a Vincent van Gogh exhibition in the episode, which is penned by Richard Curtis.

A set insider told DS: "It was a real coup to get Bill Nighy in Doctor Who, especially in Richard Curtis's amazing episode. Bill plays a van Gogh expert with some similar fashion choices to The Doctor himself."

The story is set both in the present day and 19th Century France. This Life actor Tony Curran was previously confirmed in the role of van Gogh.

The episode - the tenth in the new series - was filmed on location in Croatia and Cardiff over Christmas.

A BBC spokesperson said: "We do not comment on storyline or character speculation."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/cult/s7/doctorwho/news/a200633/bill-nighy-to-guest-in-doctor-who.html

3 confirmed episode titles:

Episode 1 is The Eleventh Hour

Episode 2 is The Beast Below

Episode 3 is Victory of the Daleks

_____ of the Daleks? Hurrah for old-school episode titles! I'm glad Evolution of the Daleks' title wasn't just a one-time thing.

...bit odd to see them so early, though. I just hope they're not the villains of the season again.

Also, I do like me some Bill Nighy, so that's awesome too.

Bill Nighy? Awesome. I love that man.

The last episode brought a couple of tears to my eyes. I did love Tennant.

I started watching "Takin' over the asylum" recently, he looks adorable in that, he is only about 22 in that and has floppy hair. He is like an excitable puppy.

• 2 weeks later...

I come bearing Series 5 news!

First off there's this new promo pic of The Eleventh Doctor and his companion Amy Pond:

SNN17TV1DR-682_988171a.jpg

Also, the first episode of Series 5 ("The Eleventh Hour") is going to be an hour-long special, presumably to give us a proper introduction to Matt Smith's Doctor.

Will he live up to the standard of Tennant? Only time will tell...

I think he'll be a great doctor just so long as he shows some individuality. His li'l appearance at the end of the specials made me think he just wanted to be the "next Tennant", whereas most Doctors have a unique character trait. Copying for the sake of popularity is not cool.

He'll probably be great though, and most of us will like him in no time.

PS. Oh god why the Weeping Angels why. T_T

I think he'll do fine so long as people don't want him to be, or constantly compare him to Tennant. He's not going to be Tennant, nor should he be.

It's a bit like how everyone is comparing ASR to Mario Kart right now.

My, the Time Vortex has never looked more awesome and sexy.

Neither has the Doctor's sidekick.

Roll on Series 5.

A new Series 5 trailer has been released!

It's more of a teaser trailer than proper footage from the forthcoming episodes, and it's... weird, to say the least.

Edited by Trainer Gold