Awoo.

Doctor Who

Patticus

Sweet I may buy it if I can tear myself away from GTA.

And any idea if they're still planning on showing it in cinemas over here?

IIRC, they did say they'd be showing in cinemas in the UK, I'm just not sure about US.

Re: Peter Davison possibly being in the 50th: What I'd have done is used film editing to recontextualise old footage of past Doctors into the 50th so they don't look any older, but then have the actors themselves record new lines as audio to be played over the top.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if something of this sort had actually been done - just look at The Name Of The Doctor, there's no question of classic Doctors being truly ignored.  But I don't think you can fit very many into a single story as main characters, and I especially think the aging issue kills off a direct appearance unless you came up with a reason for it that was very, very specifically embedded in the plot.  A thrown-in excuse would just break immersion.  So I think any appearance they put in would have to be quite minimal.

Incidentally, there is some poorly-written fanwank circulating around and being hyped up as a "leaked synopsis."  I advise you to ignore it if you should come across it.

I'd much prefer the actor turns up in the flesh. There's just so much more you can do with an actor when you have them doing both physical and audible acting. Plus, I don't care about the look, I'd prefer they didn't even give a reason for the age than make up some excuse. I've never felt those excuses were thought up very well...

• Thumbs Up 1

I completely agree, they'd be able to do far more with having the actors actually there. And I don't mind them not explaining it either but there'd always be a few who would.

• Thumbs Up 1

You know what's bugging me most about the 50th Special?

Paintings.

Seriously, ever since Matt said it, it's never been hinted at, or mentioned ever again... I seriously want to know...

Paintings.

Seriously, ever since Matt said it, it's never been hinted at, or mentioned ever again... I seriously want to know...

I'm fairly sure I read or heard somewhere that there's scenes taking place inside the National Gallery, but whether they hold any actual significance to the plot or not... only time will tell. I may be wrong though.

I think it just means Duggan is returning to the series as a mainstay - he originally helped the Doctor and Romana recover the Mona Lisa. Duggan punches things, which is something this series needs as it continues into the future. Nobody on the TARDIS has ever been able to punch as well as Duggan can. Duggan is probably the best at punching things in the world.

tve2961-19791006-98.jpg

/jokepost

• Thumbs Up 1

I think there is probably a feeling that the former Doctors by and large look too unlike themselves to really play themselves on-screen any more, but again, there is the issue of time.  You cannot fit them all in in major roles, so basically what you would have is a cameo from past Doctors who look nothing like the past Doctors.  It wouldn't work (in my opinion, although it is an assured opinion).  I honestly think the old footage + new audio compromise is the best way of doing it.  Note that this doesn't apply to McGann, though, who can look however he wants without contradicting anything on-screen, although at the same time making him totally unlike his single outing as Eight would rather defeat the point of bringing him back at all.

What I'd have preferred to do is an anniversary season in which one past Doctor appears per episode.  Someone is interfering with the Doctor's history and preventing his past regenerations, explaining why many of his previous incarnations are now heavily aged.  The Doctor has to revisit his own timeline to find the culprit and restore his own history to prevent his present incarnation from being wiped out.  Twelve crossover in the twelfth episode, maybe a regeneration in the thirteenth, something like that.  Oh well.

Paintings.

I'm thinking that maybe there's some kind of semi-hidden gallery somewhere with paintings of all the Doctors, and UNIT draws the Doctor's attention to it when the Hurt Doctor's portrait suddenly shows up in there in-between Eight and Nine.  Possibly displacing future ones?  I'm imagining the portraits of nine, Ten, and Eleven being all burnt and slashed-up while Hurt's portrait stands in their place.

Then at the end when everything's restored Eleven goes for another look and sees Capaldi's picture after his.  Dun dun dun!

(Edit Notice: There were some rumours earlier in the day about Tom Baker filming some scenes in-character!  But it turned out to be Paul Merton and Ian Hislop filming something for Have I Got News For You, so I'm glad I had time to remove that from my post before anyone got excited.  I hope.)

Edited by FFWF

EVERYBODY FUCKING FREAKING OUT

PETER DAVISON JOINS THE BRAWL

Peter Davison to Be in Doctor Who 50th Anniversary Episode

Peter Davison has confirmed he will appear in the 'Doctor Who' 50th anniversary special.

The 62-year-old actor, who played the Fifth Doctor in the BBC sci-fi series from 1981 to 1984, admitted he is going to play a part in the one-off episode on November 23 and while he is looking forward to seeing it all come together, he is remaining tight-lipped about the specific details of his role.

He told BANG Showbiz: "I'm making an appearance somewhere over that period of time but I can't reveal in what.

"I can't reveal anything specific about it. I'm not allowed to.

"It is a big year for the show and we're all doing our bit for it. Trust me."

The episode will be one of Matt Smith's last appearances as the titular Time Lord, but Peter is excited about 55-year-old Peter Capaldi taking over the role from next year because he believes the 'Thick of It' star will bring some much-needed maturity to the part.

He added: "I think it's a great choice, I really think it's a brilliant choice. So many names have been banded about.

"When I heard who it was I just thought that's a great choice.

"He's a fantastic actor and he has that sort of sense of humour. He has an edge to him as well and I think it's nice to have a maturer Doctor.

"I grew up with mature Doctors so I think it's an excellent choice."

Peter would love to see one of his grandchildren appear as the Doctor one day following in the footsteps of him and his son-in-law David Tennant - who is married to Peter's daughter Georgia Moffett - but joked it might resemble the controversial North Korean dynasty, which is passed down from father to son.

He quipped: "'Doctor Who' is a bit like the North Korean dynasty, we're just going to pass it on down the line until one of us pops our clogs. It's all ours now - it's the Davison and Tennant dynasty."

However, Peter - who has been married to Elizabeth Morton since 2003 - admits he fears for the show's future and wouldn't be surprised if people got "tired" of watching the sci-fi series and bosses decided to take it off air.

He said: "There will get to a point where people get a bit tired of 'Doctor Who'. I don't know, maybe it will need a little rest. I'd love to see it carry on but you can never tell."

• Thumbs Up 3

I wonder what was up with the whole "no classic Doctors thing." then? unsure.png 

Either way this is brilliant news! 

eventhoughhehasbeeninnewwhobeforeandismuchyoungerthantombaker

I wonder what was up with the whole "no classic Doctors thing." then? unsure.png 

Either way this is brilliant news! 

eventhoughhehasbeeninnewwhobeforeandismuchyoungerthantombaker

I swear they were just teasing us at that point.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm a bit curious that he said he can't say in what. It could be anything. They're putting a lot on...

Though it does link with the fact he said he has a script with his name on...

Edited by The Eleventh Doctor

I'n a bit curious that he said he can't say in what. It could be anything. Theu're putting a lot on... Though it does link with the fact he said he has a script with his name on...

It was mentioned here that the paintings could possibly bear previous Doctors, seeing that the anniversary concentrates mainly on Hurt!Doctor, Tenth, and Eleventh.

...if that's the case, Davison might not be the only one.

• Thumbs Up 3

I'd advise caution.  Davison is very careful not to say that he's in the 50th, and there are other reasons why he might have a copy of the script.  Granted, it seems highly probable that he has contributed to the special, but nobody has confirmed this, regardless of what the headline of that article says.

On the other hand, I don't see why it should really be a surprise, as it was never going to be the case that anyone before Tennant was going to be wholly ignored in the 50th - it was merely a matter of whether the actors themselves would be participating.  As TNotD showed, there are ways of using the classic Doctors without requiring them to record a jot of new material.  In any case, neither the BBC or Moffat ever formally announced - and why would they? - that no classic Doctors were in the 50th; as I gather it, it was a passing comment of Doctor Who Magazine's that got blown up wildly.

• Thumbs Up 2

Questioning what Davison said again, he said "We're all doing our bit."

Does this mean potentially more Doctors will be involved in the celebrations in someway? Prequels? DVD extras? We know Peter, Colin and Sylvester were all seen with protest signs about how there wasn't any classic Doctors in the 50th, which will likely be something like an extra or promotion, but I wonder if there's any more that they're doing...

• Thumbs Up 1

He might have just been on about the Big Finish audio they're all in. And how Tom Baker did that interview for the Time Capsule (which is very good I might add.)

• Thumbs Up 1

True, Every live classic Doctor is in that...

BUT, not every live modern Doctor is in the 50th special, and Davison said they're all doing they're bit...

WHAT ARE YOU DOING ECCLESTON?!?!?!?!

Also, BBCA Doctor's Revisited will be airing in the UK in October, on Watch.

Also, the thing posted earlier with the Fourth Doctor in costume is being said to be for Have I Got News for You, with Ian Hislop and Paul Merton playing Doctors. Not sure though, that TARDIS looks very much like the actual one, which they probably wouldn't be using for HIGNFY... But even then, I don't think that's Tom Baker in the costume if it is for Doctor Who, as he is much taller than the person in the photo...

Edited by The Eleventh Doctor
  • Thumbs Up 1

Also, BBCA Doctor's Revisited will be airing in the UK in October, on Watch.

Sweet I've been wanting to watch those, it's odd how they weren't shown here. I mean America's been getting more promotion for the 50th than we have laugh.png 

as he s much taller than the person in the photo...

And much wider too.

Edited by Phil Collins
  • Thumbs Up 1

Man, that would've been such a great surprise if you hadn't plastered it all over the top of the page. Oh well. Nothing Whovian stays secret for long, I guess, and I most likely would've heard it from Facebook later on anyway (and then had a good old fashioned RAEG against them).