Awoo.

Doctor Who

Patticus

"No classic Doctors are in the 50th"

Peter Davison and now Paul McGann.

comeontombaker

Rule #1 of Moffat: He always lies

Its been rumoured for months, but now the BBC have finally confirmed: missing Doctor Who episodes have been found!!

No details on which episodes or how many have been found yet, though apparently more details will be revealed later in the week.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24448063

A number of early episodes of Doctor Who, which were believed to have been permanently lost, have been returned to the BBC.
BBC Worldwide is expected to confirm the find at a press screening in London later this week.
It follows weeks of speculation that some lost episodes had been located.

Edited by Doctor Sοnic
  • Thumbs Up 4

I'll be glad to finally put a lid on this Hellish tale.  Months of rumours, flip-flops, and conspiracy theories that this thread has been mercifully free from.  It will be interesting to hear where they dug those things up - the present rumours suggest Africa and/or a private collector.

Its been rumoured for months, but now the BBC have finally confirmed: missing Doctor Who episodes have been found!!

No details on which episodes or how many have been found yet, though apparently more details will be revealed later in the week.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-24448063

That's great news and I look forward to those episodes being released!

I'm glad they're doing a simultaneous broadcasting of the 50th anniversary special as well. Really hoping it'll be screened at a theater near me since I'd love to see it on the big screen.

Another significant update, the website of former Doctor Who companion Deborah Watling, has reported that she and Frazer Hines will be helping the BBC launch the newly found episodes tomorrow!

"Deborah, along with Frazer Hines, will be helping the BBC to launch the newly found Dr.Who episodes this Thurs (10/10/13), betwwen 3.30pm and 7.00pm approx (sic)"

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2013-10-09/doctor-who-newly-found-classic-episodes-to-launch-on-thursday-says-patrick-troughton-companion

Deborah played Victoria during Patrick Troughton's time as the Doctor and Frazer Hines played long serving companion Jamie. The fact that they are both involved in the reveal suggests that at least some of the episodes recovered are from their time on the show.

Its particularly good news for me that it will be revealed tomorrow as its my birthday tomorrow. Am very much hoping for the return of some of the stories I've wanted to see for so long. Evil of the Daleks or The Web of Fear would be amazing!

Edited by Doctor Sοnic

marco polo please, please

it is said to have some amazing set work of the kind the show wouldn't see again in years

Has just been revealed, the recovered episodes are all of 'The Enemy of the World' and all but episode 3 of 'The Web of Fear'!

http://www.doctorwho.tv/whats-new/article/two-missing-doctor-who-adventures-found

Well, I got one of the two stories I was most wanting, even if it is minus the all important 3rd ep which featured the first appearance of the Brigadier (or Colonel as he was at the time).

Film recordings of eleven episodes of Doctor Who – nine of which were considered ‘lost’ - have been discovered in Nigeria.

All six episodes of The Enemy of the World and five of The Web of Fear were found by Phillip Morris, director of Television International Enterprises Archive, in a television relay station in Jos, central Nigeria.

Morris tracked records of shipments made by the BBC to Africa, that contained tapes for transmission. BBC Worldwide is currently re-mastering these episodes to restore them to the fantastic quality that audiences expect from Doctor Who. The titles will launch exclusively on iTunes at 00.01 on October 11, 2013.

The pair of sequential adventures were originally screened on the BBC as part of Doctor Who’s fifth season, for 12 weeks between December 1967 and March 1968. They star Patrick Troughton as the Doctor, with Frazer Hines and Deborah Watling as companions Jamie and Victoria.

Edited by Doctor Sοnic
  • Thumbs Up 1

Ya know that thing about those old episode things being recovered and what-not? Wanna know what they got?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/

The Enemy of the World 1, 2, 4, 5 and six have been found, as well as Web of Fear 2 - 6.

So now they have both of those stories complete, as they already had TEotW episode 3 and WoF episode 1 IIRC, so I'll be watching those stories complete for sure.

Also, very interested in The Enemy of the World as it's a Patrick Troughton story, and Patrick Troughton plays the villain, Salamander.

The Enemy of the World 1, 2, 4, 5 and six have been found, as well as Web of Fear 2 - 6.

So now they have both of those stories complete, as they already had TEotW episode 3 and WoF episode 1 IIRC, so I'll be watching those stories complete for sure.

As I stated in my previous post, they did not recover all of the Web of Fear, the highly significant episode 3 remains missing.

Edited by Doctor Sοnic

As I stated in my previous post, they did not recover all of the Web of Fear, the highly significant episode 3 remains missing.

Ah yes, I must've misread the BBC's page. A shame, but it's still fantastic that we have the rest.

Ah yes, I must've misread the BBC's page. A shame, but it's still fantastic that we have the rest.

It is indeed. I have to admit for along time I never thought we'd get these episodes back!

Yet we still don't have a trailer for the 50th! :lol:

The way this is going, the trailer for the 50th will be aired after the special itself...

• Thumbs Up 1

The way this is going, the trailer for the 50th will be aired after the special itself...

I really wouldn't put it past them at this point. I mean the audio adventure has a trailer and that's only really for the classic series fans.

Those are some brilliant trailers. Its awesome to see some of the missing footage for the first time, particularly the clips of pre-UNIT 'Colonel' Lethbridge-Stewart.

106 episodes of Doctor Who were missing from the archive...

We have found 9 thanks to Phillip Morris...

And that means...

97 more to go, people! C'mon we're that close! Check your garage, loft, where ever! You may find an old Doctor Who Episode!

• Thumbs Up 1

A persistent feature of the more recent - and more accurate! - rumours on the missing episodes is that there are more to come which aren't ready to be announced yet, or which require profits off the back of these two releases in order to be obtained, for some reason.  So, fingers crossed!

In other news, it's now widely speculated that Moffat's much-derided statement that this year there would be "more Doctor Who than ever before" was actually a coded reference to the missing episodes, and he used the Great Intelligence in Series 7 as a hook for its appearance in Web Of Fear.

Three Day of the Doctor Images found in SFX Magazine:

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/the-day-of-the-doctor-new-pics-53873.htm

They look very awesome indeed. And look what's poking out of John Hurt's coat in the bottom image... Is that what I think it is?

Lipstick?

Joking aside, he appears to be carrying the same screwdriver in the official poster.  But is he cracking his knuckles in that first image?  Golly.

Lipstick?

Joking aside, he appears to be carrying the same screwdriver in the official poster.  But is he cracking his knuckles in that first image?  Golly.

I know, I don't know what to think about that knuckle-cracking... Is he going to beat some Zygons up?

Also, another interesting thing. I've noticed and a few others have said too, the picture of 10's TARDIS interior is slightly different to the original. The rings on the center column are seperated, and the console is a bluer hue. Could it be they filmed those scenes at the Doctor Who Experience? As the 9/10 TARDIS there is the same. Separated rings, bluer hue... If so, that's quite cool.

Moffat on Capaldi's Costume and Regeneration Limit:

"Could we be getting a glimpse of Peter Capaldi’s costume in the not too distant future? In an interview with the Radio Times earlier today, Steven Moffat revealed that Capaldi is busy searching out the 12th Doctor’s attire right now.

Moffat said: “I think actually right now – I think literally right now. [Peter] was texting me ‘I’m out with [the wardrobe stylist] at the moment, it’s going quite well’ and some descriptions of clothes I did not understand. If it’s not a suit…”

He added: “He likes his clothes. he’s got very strong opinions about clothes, he’s very dashing.”

Moffat’s own input on Capaldi’s wardrobe will be slight though: “I’ll just let them get on with it and it’ll be ‘yes’ or ‘no’ a the end. Matt said ‘I should be a boffin, I think I need to go with the bow tie’ and I said ‘No, absolutely not, you’re not wearing a bow tie – that’s a cartoon idea of what Doctor Who is… Oh, you are going to wear a bow tie – you look incredible in it. And from that moment on he suddenly came to life, and he put the tweed jacket on and suddenly he’s leaping round the room with a biro pen and that was it – he was the Doctor.”

Moffat also took some time to tease the fanbase once more with another cryptic statement on the regeneration limit:

Moffat today confirmed of the Doctor, “He can only regenerate 12 times”, while simultaneously suggesting there has been a miscalculation of how many regenerations he has actually been through.

“I think you should go back to your DVDs and count correctly this time,” said Moffat, “there’s something you’ve all missed.”"

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/moffat-on-capaldis-costume-regeneration-limit-53937.htm

The costume bit is all well and good, but that last bit...

"I think you should go back to your DVDs and count correctly this time, there's something you've all missed."

My initial thought was John Hurt, but I immediately referred back to "Something you've all missed."

Unless Moffat has no idea that The Name of the Doctor aired, we all know about John Hurt.

So what in the name of hell is he talking about?

Maybe there were "pseudo regenerations"? I can see the Second to Third and (offscreen) Eighth to Ninth regenerations being such a thing.

I heard that they're going to start filming Series 8 in November (previous reports suggested January), so if that's the case, we should be getting a look at Twelve's costume before the regeneration.  I guess we'd be seeing it in promotional images and filming before we ever saw it on-screen anyway, though, so it's not that much of a difference.

As for the number of regenerations, this is something people have speculated about.  Did the averted regeneration in Journey's End count, for instance, reducing the number of potential regenerations to eleven?  Did the regenerations Mels gave up to heal the Doctor increase his regeneration limit in return?  Did John Hurt take a regeneration or not (he might be from a cancelled timeline)?  Did any earlier regenerations not count for some reason - perhaps because the concept of regeneration wasn't really set in stone until the third one, I gather?  And that's leaving aside the question of why there's a regeneration limit in the first place - is it biological, cultural?  Moffat can basically get away with whatever he wants here.

I don't really think it's too big a concern, though.  There are some odd people out there who worry that DW will end after the Thirteenth Doctor, as if they'd let this one line from decades ago end a perfectly good, and moreover, perfectly profitable TV show.  RTD once said something to the effect of "He'll find a Crystal Ball of Zog that will give him more regenerations," and that's more or less my position - it can't be too difficult to come up with a device to give the Doctor more regenerations.  It sounds like Moffat's going to make it a story issue, though, and I can only hope he does it right.  I've also seen some people suggest that the issue should dominate the Thirteenth Doctor's era, with him scrambling desperately to preserve and extend his life by any method possible - which would be abhorrent, he'd be more like the Master.