Awoo.

Doctor Who

Patticus

I'm going to say that Moff is referring to when 10 regenerated to heal himself in Journey's End, if we include that and count them all...

1st-2nd - 01

2nd-3rd -02

3rd-4th-03

4th-5th-04

5th-6th-05

6th-7th-06

7th-8th-07

8th-8.5th-08

8.5th-9th-09

9th-10th-10

10th-10th-11

10th-11th-12

It would appear that The Doctor has already regenerated 12 times. There might be something else behind it though, as 11 seemed pretty confident he would regenerate again in Nightmare in Silver with his threats to the Cyber-Planner, unless he was just bluffing...

Perhaps we'll tackling this situation in the series earlier than we thought.

Edited by Gatestormer

Well, there was the Morbius Doctors theory, although I think that one died out. (And y'know, if it was true then they wouldn't have missed it). The theory, just for reference (and making this post be worth anything) was that when The Doctor was connected to Morbius' brain testing machine it showed more incarnations than were actually shown on TV. This was retconned away to be Morbius' past incarnations.

Edited by TheGerkuman

Hasn't it been said that the Time War forced Time Lords to regenerate a thousand times over so that they could return to battle quickly (which, in turn, brought them to lose their hold on their collective sanity over and over)?

Ah, a Doctor Who topic. Excellent.

I am a recent converter to Doctor Who. I first saw the Doctor a few years ago when I saw Planet of the Dead and The Next Doctor on Space. I thought it was interesting but I never really bothered to look into it.

Fast forward to this year. My sister and her husband get me into My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic and it is through Time Turner/Doctor Hooves that I became formally introduced to Doctor Who. About a month ago, my boyfriend and I finally sat down and started watching the series from the Ninth Doctor on, and I am loving it so far. We just started watching Series 4 tonight. This show is a lot better than I though it would be.

• Thumbs Up 1

So you know in SFX magazine how we got new pics from The Day of the Doctor? D you want them (plus 2 more) in higher quality?

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/the-day-of-the-doctor-pics-hq-54016.htm

(Sorry about just being a link to them, I'd post the. Here but for some reason they just won't go in. I'll go on a different device in the morning and edit them into the post rather than just have a link.)

• Thumbs Up 1

Steven Moffat seems to be making statements about Capaldi or the 50th every week these days.  I think he's realised that there's not enough promotion going on for most of us and is personally picking up the slack.  Here's his latest, as reported by DoctorWhoTV (via SFX):

“We’ve got to set the Doctor off in a brand new direction. It’s chapter two of his life. Now something happens to him that changes the way he thinks and the way he will adventure from now on. You can celebrate an anniversary in many ways – I think the most productive one within the narrative is to say “This is where the story really starts. This is where he finds his mission, he finds his destiny.”

“We’re not fibbing – this one is going to change the course of the series. And it’s very rare in Doctor Who that the story happens to the Doctor. It happens to people around him, and he helps out – he’s the hero figure who rides in and saves everybody from the story of the week. He is not the story of the week. In this, he is the story of the week. This is the day of the Doctor. This is his most important day. His most important moment. This is the one he’ll remember, whereas I often think the Doctor wanders back to his TARDIS and forgets all about it.”

[on the inter-Doctor dynamic:] “I wrote it as the friction version. When you’re talking to yourself there are no limitations, there’s no holding back. You wouldn’t be kind or courteous. At the same time, because they are two loveable, madcap, caffeinated Doctors, they’re also quite fanboyish about each other. They think it’s quite cool. They’re not broody, upset Doctors – it’s more “There’s two of us! Brilliant!” But that’s mostly in the playing, because they were having such a good time together that they brought that out. They get giggly with each other. It is, by lovely accident, a tremendous double-act. They’re naturally funny together. Enough alike and enough dissimilar. Matt said it was like Laurel and Laurel, as if Hardy didn’t show up – except he does in the form of John Hurt!”

“The weird thing is there’s never that much contrast between Doctors. The truth is it’s not wildly different how they’re written. I’ve written quite a lot for both of them, and you just have the voice in your head, very clearly. Where they are similar is funny, because they’re practically in unison, and where they are different is David is a cheeky, sexy, genuinely cool Doctor, up against a Doctor who thinks he’s sexy and cool but is woefully wrong on that subject! And that’s just naturally funny.”

• Thumbs Up 3

It's rare for us to actually hear the truth behind some of the wild rumours circulating about behind-the-scenes DW.  But DigitalSpy managed to get Ben Daniels to spill a lot about his potential role as the Twelfth Doctor:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s7/doctor-who/news/a523646/ben-daniels-talks-doctor-who-and-the-search-for-the-12th-doctor.html

The most interesting bit to me is confirmation that they really did have to scramble after Matt's departure was leaked:

"I was approached and asked if it was something I'd be interested in doing. Apparently, usually when it's announced that the [old] Doctor is leaving, the new Doctor's already firmly in place. But a BBC email had apparently been leaked, talking about Matt Smith's departure or something, so they had to announce it officially much sooner than they'd have liked."

I wonder what this year would have looked like if that leak hadn't happened?  But I suppose it did liven up a dry couple of months.

So I heard a rumour that the Doctor Who Experience will only be in Cardiff until 2017 or something like that. What was the point in making that big ass building for it then?!

Still, not sure if that's true though. If it is, it'll probably be going to London.

A trailer for the last 50 years with no 50th footage, airing tomorrow, 8:20 BBC One.

Obligatory

raining_david_tennant_nosedrip.gif

Seriously, come on BBC. Give us the dang ass trailer already. It's existed for, what, months?

• Thumbs Up 4

I wonder if this is the specially filmed and scripted 50th trailer they were talking about when they announced the hashtag stings.  The one they were hyping up despite admitting at the time that it would contain no footage of the 50th.  Ahaha, I'm looking at the reactions on Twitter and some of them don't seem to understand that it won't contain any footage of the 50th; they think it's the trailer.  I can almost taste the delicious disappointment from here.

And the thing is, it's true, it will be cool, it will be nice, it is a good idea.  But it does nothing to dispel the entirely reasonable prevailing narrative of "Where's the trailer?" - or, as I suppose we must now reword it, "Where's the real trailer?"  Hyping up an edited picture of all eleven Doctors in profile certainly does nothing to dispel the feeling of being underwhelmed.  "an exclusive image is revealed today featuring the 11 Doctors" - wow, that sure showed us something amazing that we'd never seen before!

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: All of this would be just peachy - a little slow at worst - if they had either already released the ComicCon trailer, or never put it out at ComicCon at all.  We might even be celebrating their restraint in not releasing any spoilers.  But it all means nothing when we know there's already an awesome trailer with all-new footage revealing all kinds of cool stuff, which members of the public have seen, just sitting on a hard drive somewhere inspiring nobody.  If that wasn't the kind of promotional campaign they were planning on running, what were they thinking in showing it in the first place?  Did they imagine that nobody would know about it, or find out what was in it?

Why oh why did the attendees at ComicCon not record and leak it like they did Gatiss's AAiSaT?  I understand they were warned that, if that happened, there might not be any more ComicCon exclusives - to which I would have said good!  What kind of awful, selfish fan wants other fans to have less content than themselves?

Edit: I think the official site itself thinks this is all a bit stupid:

Notes to Editors

This trailer does not include any actual footage of the 50th anniversary episode.

It's that "actual" that does it.

Edit Again: It'll be on soon.  Can't wait to see and criticise it!

Edit Once More: Okay, fair enough, that was actually relevant!  And is indeed clearly the specially-filmed trailer they mentioned when they announced the hashtags.  Not a jot of anniversary special footage, but it's grounding the anniversary special in the context of the fifty years that preceded it.  This would've been a pretty good teaser if we didn't already know that something far more relevant had already been shown to members of the public, completely spoiling this more careful build-up.

Edited by FFWF
  • Thumbs Up 1

The trailer is absolutely phenomenal. In the 1 minute it lasts it's filled me with so much hype for the 50th but also for the series in general. I also adore the music, I hope that's the theme featured in the 50th special.

One thing though, I can't spot 7. Can anyone see him?

EDIT: Nevermind, got him!

Edited by Gatestormer

The trailer is absolutely phenomenal. In the 1 minute it lasts it's filled me with so much hype for the 50th but also for the series in general. I also adore the music, I hope that's the theme featured in the 50th special.

One thing though, I can't spot 7. Can anyone see him?

36 seconds into the video. Seven is falling over or something, just in front of 5. The umbrella is flying through the air.

And I agree the music is great and the trailer is just soooo good!

• Thumbs Up 1

I gotta admit, even I was surprised by this Trailer. And I really REALLY thought it would turn out to be the Beeb's version of what you can find tenfold on youtube already.

But they went and did this, and it really pumped me up for the 50th (and the real 50th trailer) that much more. =)

Trailer was surprisingly strong but that doesn't forgive the fact we're a month away from the 50th releasing and we've got one trailer. Without footage of the 50th. 

BBC seem to have this gigantic worry that showing any kind of video footage from the 50th will spoil all hype and excitement and give away the entire plot for some reason, it appears to me. I can't understand what they're trying to do from a marketing standpoint. We all know every detail of the trailer they showed, so it's already completely spoiled - we just want to see it. The reason we want to see it is because it sounded so great. If anything, it'll get the hypetrain going even faster and maybe even boost demand for viewing in cinemas. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, I have to say, it's really annoying that they haven't even really given us a trailer for the 50th special. I mean, that one was cool and all, but how about some actual footage or something. It seems that the BBC with Doctor Who are the exact opposite of SEGA with Sonic games... which is too bad.

BBC seem to have this gigantic worry that showing any kind of video footage from the 50th will spoil all hype and excitement and give away the entire plot for some reason, it appears to me. I can't understand what they're trying to do from a marketing standpoint. We all know every detail of the trailer they showed, so it's already completely spoiled - we just want to see it. The reason we want to see it is because it sounded so great. If anything, it'll get the hypetrain going even faster and maybe even boost demand for viewing in cinemas. 

This.

If the BBC wanted to run this really cautious, spoiler-free campaign for the 50th, with footageless trailers containing only really oblique hints, then why on Earth did they show a spoiler-filled trailer to anyone, let alone a group of fans who were absolutely going to report its contents even if they didn't actually record it?  Because, having seen yesterday's trailer, I now get an idea of exactly the kind of thing they're going for, and they just messed it up so unbelievably by putting out all the spoilers first, in an arena where we'd find out what they are but not get to see how good they actually looked.  And then expect us to be happy with hyped-up hashtags.

Now that they're finally doing things right, I'm less cut up about the whole business, but they really messed up badly with the ComicCon trailer - and will continue to do so because the fact is that we will probably never get that trailer.  It's likely it was cut together by BBC Worldwide specifically for an audience of fans, so its chances of general broadcast on the BBC here are slim to none.  So even though I thought yesterday's trailer was decent, I am still right behind anyone giving the BBC a hard time on social media.

I wonder when we'll get a real trailer.  Another week?  Two?  Never?  I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't put one out at all but tried to leave the 50th entirely mysterious, even though every such decision renders the original ComicCon trailer an even more insulting blunder.

• Thumbs Up 1

Good news! Moffat says "Not long now" untill a Day of the Doctor trailer, with footage from the special:

"It's too early to put it on," Moffat told us, during a Radio Times session at the Cheltenham Literature Festival earlier this month, but "it’s not going to be very much longer..."

"If it were up to me, the BBC would only publicise Doctor Who and Sherlock," said Moffat, tongue firmly in cheek. "However, in their biased and wrong-headed view, they have a number of shows on before Sherlock and Doctor Who that they have to publicise now, so they’re waiting to publicise Doctor Who and Sherlock until later.

"I agree it is a crime! Who cares about those other shows? I don’t! But I have to wait in line, so the reason you haven’t see the 50th trailer yet is it’s too early to put it on.

"But it’s not going to be very much longer..."

I wonder how long not very long is...

I wonder how long not very long is...

Knowing Moffat and the BBC, November 20th.

Edited by Spooky Symbotic

I watched the trailer and damned myself for doing it, mostly because i know this is the kind of thing they'd pull on us. I don't like dragging myself off the hype train only to be pulled back on, it's fine the first few times but now it's just annoying.

More annoying admittadly this time with all those spoilers flying around that i've been doing all in my power to dodge as well.