Awoo.

Doctor Who

Patticus

The previous post's trailer has just guaranteed that I will watch every episode of Series 5 without fail.

• 4 weeks later...

Review: Matt Smith's first Doctor Who story

Entertainment correspondent Lizo Mzimba takes a look at Matt Smith's first outing as the 11th Doctor.

As an episode this has a few boxes to tick.

It has to introduce a new Doctor, a new companion and sustain the momentum the series has built up since its return in 2005. For the most part, it does this well.

The plot picks up with the newly regenerated Doctor crashing his Tardis into a young girl's garden. This being Doctor Who, an alien threat isn't far away.

As a story it veers between witty and creepy. And speeds along as well as the best episodes of the last few years.

Matt Smith's Doctor is a quirky, energetic one. Perhaps the most alien interpretation for many incarnations. Frequently clumsy and uncoordinated in his physical approach. While mentally firing off ideas in all directions.

It's not instantly accessible, it's too complex for that. But it's often performances like this that can, as the series goes on, prove ultimately more satisfying.

Karen Gillan's companion has more instant appeal. Full of qualities designed to make her popular with the audience. She's feisty, brave and funny.

Ultimately it's their relationship that has to power the series. And on the evidence of this first episode, there's certainly potential.

The 12 other episodes to follow (on the strength of a montage of scenes shown on Thursday) combine classic Who monsters - the Cybermen will return - with all new villains.

The expected impressive special fx - spitfires dogfighting in space. And the Doctor exploring history - he visits Stonehenge and encounters what appear to Roman centurions.

Matt and Karen aren't the only new faces. There's a new head writer Steven Moffat.

Moffat is the man behind some of the most popular episodes of the past few years including Blink which featured scary statues and a young Carey Mulligan.

With such a pedigree expectations for the series are high. And this first story, which Moffat wrote, rightly concentrates on the Doctor and his new partner. And provides a solid start for what is definitely its most challenging season yet.

The Eleventh Hour will be shown on BBC One this Easter.

Sounds awesome, way better than previous series' - and I loved Tennant, so this'll be aces. Don't care if it's not as immediately accessible either, I just hope it doesn't impact too much on the ratings or we'll see it slip into the shitty times and away from prime time saturday viewing.

Some of the press reviews are starting to appear:

If we were being ultra-critical we’d argue that the story itself is ultimately the weakest part of The Eleventh Hour (although we did love elements of it, which again we don't want to spoil here), yet that’d be really tough criticism. Because like it or lump it, this episode came with responsibility on its shoulders (being a mix of opening episode, new era for the programme and new actors to bed in), and Moffat deals with it brilliantly at times. Some of his one liners are outstanding, too, and he's clearly having great fun with the comedy elements of the show.

The absolute highlight for us was the superb way that the new assistant is brought into the story. It's just brilliant. Again, no spoilers, short of to say that by the time the end credits roll, understandable layers of depth to the character of Amy Pond have already been added as a result. That’s some achievement, and it’s going to stand the show in good stead

Sounds great to me! Can't wait to get stuck into a fresh slice of Who pie. :D

Not sure if anyone else has noticed, but if you watch the doctor who trailer in the UK pre-watershed, it's slightly different. The end changes, it's no longer the shot of the doctor holding the gun. I wonder if this means that we'll see that scene removed from the early showing? They did do this before in past seasons so I wouldn't put it past them... mind you, Tennant certainly held a gun in a threattening manner in the last episode didn't he.

• 2 weeks later...

Not long to go now, folks... Series 5 kicks off with The Eleventh Hour TOMORORW at 6:20pm on BBC One.

As unsure as I was about Matt Smith when he was first announced, he's certainly growing on me... my Doctor will always be David Tennant, but Matt looks to be a worthy successor - or perhaps I just love the show so much I don't really care who takes on the role, as long as there's some epic adventures and fun to be had! :D

Who else will be tuning in?

Who else will be tuning in?

Oh, for sure. :)

I've avoided all trailers and spoilers. I've no idea what's going to happen, what'll be in it, who'll be in it (pun semi-intended). And like you, David Tennant will forever be "my" Doctor. But because of that, because of those awesome three years, I think the show in general has earned my curiosity.

I've yet to become excited by the idea of Matt Smith being the Doctor, but I'll give him a chance with the opening episode. It'll decide for me, whether I keep watching or not.

Couldn't give a stuff about the girl. :lol:

Looking forward to this, I'll definitely be tuning in. \o/

I'll be watching it after the fact as I get out of work at 6 and don't get home until 6:40. Goddamn Andrew Lloyd Webber and his stupid fat face just had to have their Wizard of Auschwitz shit on at 7:20.

I'll be watching it after the fact as I get out of work at 6 and don't get home until 6:40. Goddamn Andrew Lloyd Webber and his stupid fat face just had to have their Wizard of Auschwitz shit on at 7:20.

You could be Dorothy Patticus.

Don't you want to be Dorothy?

Edited by Casanova

Can't flippin' wait.

I just sure hope the first episode isn't the Weeping Angels one ^-^; I really really am not keen on seeing them again.

I love the Weeping Angels, but to see them again...eh I dunno. They struk me as kind of one off monsters, like the Midnight Entity.

I love the Weeping Angels, but to see them again...eh I dunno. They struk me as kind of one off monsters, like the Midnight Entity.

I'd be of the same view, but with a man of Moffatt's calibre as head writer, we could see a worthy successor episode to Blink.

Isn't that what the BBC iPlayer is for? ^^'

Isn't that what the BBC iPlayer is for? ^^'

Then I'd be left waiting until 8:20. >:O I'd rather watch it on tape as soon as it finishes.

Sky+ is a pretty cool device, if you have one. I like being able to record a program, then start watching it part way through as it continues to record.

Not that I can here at University, as the Sky+ box is at home. XD

If you don't mind my prying, is there any reason for that, cause I know my dad can't get Sky inhis flat cause of the shape of the building.

PLOT SUMMARIES FOR ALL 13 EPISODES:

Episode 1: The Eleventh Hour

The Doctor has regenerated into a brand new man, but danger strikes before he can even recover. With the TARDIS wrecked, and the sonic screwdriver destroyed, the new Doctor has just 20 minutes to save the whole world - and only Amy Pond to help him.

Episode 2: The Beast Below

The Doctor takes Amy to the distant future, where she finds Britain in space. Starship UK houses the future of the British people, as they search the stars for a new home. But as Amy explores, she encounters the terrifying Smilers and learns a deadly truth inside the Voting Booth.

Episode 3: Victory of the Daleks

From the terrifying future of the United Kingdom to one of its darkest chapters of its past - World War Two. The Doctor and Amy find themselves in a top secret cabinet war room deep beneath the London streets. And there, gliding among the nicotine walls and Bakelite telephones, the Daleks are hatching their deadliest scheme yet. Only one man can help The Doctor - but whose side is Winston Churchill on?

Episode 4/5: The Time of Angels/Flesh and Stone

A two part story. A crashed spaceship, a shattered temple and a terrifying climb through the maze of the dead - River Song is back in The Doctor's life, and she's brought more trouble than even he can handle. The last of the Weeping Angels is loose in the ruins of Alfava Metraxis, and The Doctor is recruited to track it down. "Don't blink!" everyone tells Amy - but as Amy is about to discover, not blinking might just be the worst thing you can do...

Episode 6: Vampires in Venice

In Venice, even danger is beautiful. The House of Calvierri has the whole city under its protection, but something is very wrong. There are blood-drained corpses in the street, something lurks in the canal, and the Calvierri girls are the loveliest in town, except when you glance in the mirror...

Episode 7: Amy's Choice

It's been five long years since Amy travelled in the TARDIS with her mysterious Doctor - and when he shows up again, on the eve of the birth of her first child, danger is not far behind him. Amy is faced with a heartbreaking choice that will change her life forever.

Episode 8/9

In 2015, the most ambitious drilling project in history is under way. Dr Nasreen Chaudhry and her team have reached 21 kilometres into the Earth's crust - but something is stirring far below. Amy Pond discovers there's nowhere to run when you can't even trust the ground at your feet.

Episode 10

Terror lurks in the cornfields of Provence, but only a sad and lonely painter can see it. Amy Pond finds herself shoulder to shoulder with Vincent Van Gogh, in a battle with a deadly alien - saving the world has never been so ginger! But can even The Doctor save Vincent?

Episode 11

The Doctor faces his greatest challenge yet - a flat share! People are disappearing on Aickman Road, and The Doctor must solve the mystery of a staircase that people walk up - but never down.

Episode 12/13

A message on the oldest cliff-face in the universe, a puzzle box opening from the inside and a love that lasts thousands of years... the fates are drawing close around the TARDIS - is this the day The Doctor fails?

All summaries are either an official synopsis or a synopsis provided by head writer Steven Moffat to the Radio Times magazine.

There's nothing too spoilerific, more just "what each episode is about", but I've put it in spoiler tags for those who don't want to know what will be going on towards the end of the series :P

Wow. Just...wow. That was so good, Matt Smith is really fantastic, a worthy successor to David Tennant I think. Absolutley amazing.

I think there's only one thing that needs to be said:

FISH CUSTARD.

I didn't think I'd like Matt Smith as much as I did, and I've warmed to Karen Gillan too. She has the potential to be a great companion.

Don't think much of the new theme tune and title sequence though. That's my only gripe with Series 5 so far.

Just watched Doctor Who for the first time in years(not really watched it since David Tennent first series of the show) that episode was quite good Matt Smith was great though out the episode, I might have to watch Doctor Who more often now =D

Edited by Creature Of The Night

I think Matt Smith is already awesome, so far it's hard to tell what his character trait is, but it's funny to see him experimenting with new catchphrases.

I thought it was an excellent opening episode, Amy is cute and it's nice to FINALLY see a new locale and cast of characters. The episode didn't rely on Darleks or Cybermen or anything, and even with the pretty generic as hell alien design it was still very well written imo. Looking very forward to seeing how things pan out! :D

And did I mention I thought Smith was awesome? His costume is great, he's definitely not trying too hard to be Tennant. Yeah, it's gonna be an awesome series. When's the next episode?

Not sure if Matt will beat Tennant (let's be honest, tough act to follow) but he's not far from winning me over, a great debut.