Awoo.

Doctor Who

Patticus

If you think about it, what with the names the Eighth gave off before regenerating, did

The Night of the Doctor suddenly make those Big Finish audio dramas canon?

I'm not super knowledgeable of the Big Finish stuff (although I'm certainly interested, I really need to check them out sometime), but that seems to be the case, yes! Pretty darn cool, I like it when writers do this kind of thing.

I guess this ruins the general fandom theory that Eight was the one to fight in the Time War. I'm a tiny bit disappointed about that, but it makes sense, kinda. And I'm guessing if they need to find a way to give the Doctor more regenerations, the Kam Sisterhood are gonna be involved somehow. (Might be too obvious of a solution, though...)

...I've been thinking about the whole regeneration thing. What if Hurt's Doctor regenerates into someone other than Eccleston? Could essentially give the Doctor a few more regenerations, simply because THAT Doctor hasn't used them yet?

If you've not had enough Doctor Who excitement for one day, here's the trailer for An Adventure In Space and Time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEwikIhEZrE

• Thumbs Up 2

Holy crap, the Night of the Doctor was actually a very pleasant surprise! Now I've really got to watch that movie with the eighth doctor I've had sitting on my DVR for ages.

Finally nice to see how the 8th regenerated. And it looks like the Hurt Doctor is officially known as "War Doctor."

Can't wait for the Day of The Doctor! As it turns out it will actually be showing in Colorado... in my home town as a matter of fact! Looks like I'll be going with my old highschool friends to see it! :D

And, that Adventure in Time and Space trailer isn't all! The Science of Doctor Who with Brian Cox is on at 9:00 on BBC 2 here in the UK!

And Moffat says "The Numbering doesn't change." in DW Magazine:

“I’ve been really, really quite careful about the numbering of the Doctors. He’s very specific, the John Hurt Doctor, that he doesn’t take the name of the Doctor. He doesn’t call himself that. He’s the same Time Lord, the same being as the Doctors either side of him, but he’s the one who says, ‘I’m not the Doctor.’ So the Eleventh Doctor is still the Eleventh Doctor, the Tenth Doctor is still the Tenth…

He adds: “Technically, if you really counted it, the David Tennant Doctor is two Doctors, on account of the Meta-Crisis Doctor [in Journey's End]… It’s not a matter of counting the regenerations, but of counting the faces of the Time Lord that calls himself the Doctor. There’s an anomaly Doctor slotted in somewhere, that’s all. In the script to The Day of the Doctor, Matt’s Doctor was called the Eleventh, and David’s was called the Tenth, so the numbering stays exactly the same – and we call Peter Capaldi the Twelfth Doctor."

I suspected this would be the case when John Hurt was revealed to be the Doctor.

And, that Adventure in Time and Space trailer isn't all! The Science of Doctor Who with Brian Cox is on at 9:00 on BBC 2 here in the UK!

And Moffat says "The Numbering doesn't change." in DW Magazine:

“I’ve been really, really quite careful about the numbering of the Doctors. He’s very specific, the John Hurt Doctor, that he doesn’t take the name of the Doctor. He doesn’t call himself that. He’s the same Time Lord, the same being as the Doctors either side of him, but he’s the one who says, ‘I’m not the Doctor.’ So the Eleventh Doctor is still the Eleventh Doctor, the Tenth Doctor is still the Tenth…

He adds: “Technically, if you really counted it, the David Tennant Doctor is two Doctors, on account of the Meta-Crisis Doctor [in Journey's End]… It’s not a matter of counting the regenerations, but of counting the faces of the Time Lord that calls himself the Doctor. There’s an anomaly Doctor slotted in somewhere, that’s all. In the script to The Day of the Doctor, Matt’s Doctor was called the Eleventh, and David’s was called the Tenth, so the numbering stays exactly the same – and we call Peter Capaldi the Twelfth Doctor."

I suspected this would be the case when John Hurt was revealed to be the Doctor.

I know that this is the "Word of God" but I still think that logically the numbers have been bumped up due to it still being a regeneration. It's only that because of calling them 9/10/11 for so long that that is what they are called. I don't count the Meta-Crisis one as a Doctor instead I think of him as an amoeba, it split off from the original therefore it shouldn't be classed as the original.

I know that this is the "Word of God" but I still think that logically the numbers have been bumped up due to it still being a regeneration. It's only that because of calling them 9/10/11 for so long that that is what they are called. I don't count the Meta-Crisis one as a Doctor instead I think of him as an amoeba, it split off from the original therefore it shouldn't be classed as the original.

I think the point he's trying to get across is, the 'Doctor' numbers don't bump, but the 'incarnation' numbers do. Hence why Hurt isn't referred to as the 9th Doctor, because as Moffat said, he doesn't take the name the Doctor, so he's the 9th incarnation, but Eccleston is the 9th Doctor. (If that's clear, it's quite confusing to word this.)

Edited by The Eleventh Doctor
  • Thumbs Up 3

And in the anniversary year we get to see two regenerations…

Ooh...

Also, I think "the moment" is referring to Hurt's regeneration.

Just thought - If McGann was lying about his role, does that mean Baker, McCoy and whoeverelseitwas were as well?

Edited by InfinityAlex

I think the point he's trying to get across is, the 'Doctor' numbers don't bump, but the 'incarnation' numbers do. Hence why Hurt isn't referred to as the 9th Doctor, because as Moffat said, he doesn't take the name the Doctor, so he's the 9th incarnation, but Eccleston is the 9th Doctor. (If that's clear, it's quite confusing to word this.)

People have also questioned whether...

The regeneration into Hurt counts as a regeneration at all, as it was induced and controlled by the Sisterhood's potion.  So it might not have consumed one of the Doctor's regenerations - rather, it sort of took one from elsewhere, not unlike some of the Master's past efforts to prolong his life.

Of course, if you assume that the Doctor only gets to regenerate twelve times, and that both the Hurt and Metacrisis regenerations used one up, then the Eleventh Doctor's run dry.  I'm pretty sure that the regeneration question is coming up for a fairly definitive answering soon, though, so I wouldn't worry.  Either way, for me, Eccleston's still Nine, Tennant Ten, Smith Eleven, and Capaldi Twelve - "Doctors" are no longer the same thing as "incarnations."  I'm happy with that loophole.

• Thumbs Up 1

Well if Eccleston denied having any part in the 50th, much like McGann, maybe we'll get a wonderful final scene in the 50th where The Warrior becomes Nine? Or even another little minisode showing that happen would be brilliant. Guess we gotta wait till the 50th. I knew Moffat loved pulling the rug out from under us but this was something else.

Not to mention in that interview he basically says he wants to tick all the missing regeneration boxes. C'mon we'll have a complete regeneration collection with this Moffat you know you want it

Edited by Symbotic
  • Thumbs Up 1

Even without Eccleston, I would imagine that they could always CGI a regeneration into him.  It's not like they actually had a physically younger John Hurt available for McGann's regeneration scene.

• Thumbs Up 1

Some more details about Doctor Who Live: The After-Party

http://www.cultbox.co.uk/news/headlines/8443-doctor-who-50th-live-after-party-details-revealed

Zoe Ball and Rick Edwards are hosting, with special guest appearances from Matt Smith and rest of the attendees at the Doctor Who Celebration.

Oh, and One Direction, for some reason. As if it's not bad enough they make 1D Day the same as the Doctor Who anniversary, they have the audacity to crash the after-party too.

• Thumbs Up 1

rest of the attendees at the Doctor Who Celebration.

This is excellent news, I may have a chance of actually appearing...

Oh, and One Direction, for some reason. As if it's not bad enough they make 1D Day the same as the Doctor Who anniversary, they have the audacity to crash the after-party too.

...FUCK!

Anyway I managed to get a ticket for the screening! :D

One Direction? But time isn't linear! It's--well, you know how it goes.

Seriously, that's kind of random. I don't really listen to their stuff but I guess it'd be kind of cool if they were fans? From a more cynical standpoint you could argue they might just be doing it for publicity but...aren't they ridiculously popular anyway? *shrug*

Got tickets to the ExCeL screening! Can't wait for the after party!

And hopefully, by the sounds of it, the One a Direction thing will be a short video. Please.

• Thumbs Up 1

Actually, I realised shortly after I posted that the 2nd Regeneration will almost certainly be Smith to Capaldi at Xmas, seeing as Moffat said in the 50th Anniversary year, not the 50th Anniversary itself.

On children in need preview:

That preview was very interesting. Interested in the paintings now. Very interested. The Zygons appeared to be smashing glass in the trailer, and there was a lot of shattered glass in this clip... And liking the dialogue. Liked how 10 put on that fez, too.

Also, the intro was different, it was similar to The. Night of the Doctor's colour scheme.

EDIT:

Here's the preview:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn9Ss9rZMcU

Edited by The Eleventh Doctor
  • Thumbs Up 1

I am calling John Hurt "The Warrior". I am wrong? mellow.png

I wouldn't say so, considering his persona "The Doctor" is to help people, and Hurt's incarnation was made specifically to be a warrior. I'll be calling him "The Warrior", War Doctor just sound dumb and not as cool

• Thumbs Up 1

I quite like War Doctor, myself; it was still him, after all, but he remade himself to better fight in the war against the Daleks. You know shit's not just hit the fan, but utterly smothered it and plastered the whole fucking room when the Doctor's regenerating on purpose.

From another forum, interesting Twittery DW goings-on:

I noticed that the official Doctor Who twitter account kept on changing their profile picture but I didn't twig what they were doing until today, making the new 'DW' logo in the style of previous logos (from most recent to earliest):

9th/10th era (was the profile pic 2/3 days ago, when there was 9/10 days to go until the special)

2hmq.jpg - bwtx.jpg

8th era (yesterday, 8 days to go)

tgcg.png - 0tbc.jpg

7th era (today, 7 days to go)

gcd5.jpg - znln.jpg

Presumably we'll be getting a new logo each day based on the old ones:

drwhologos.jpg

smile.png

I really would like to see a DW mini-series starring McGann, if only to get a proper visual taste of what we've been missing out on all these years

• Thumbs Up 3

BBC America's Adventure in Space and Time trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-N7t3SL-AY

Steven Moffat on Matt Smith's final performance:

From DW Magazine: “Matt’s last one is tremendous. It’s a terrific episode, and Matt’s performance in it is mind-blowingly good. It’s the best one he’s ever done, and a contender for the best performance ever by anyone as the Doctor. Absolutely sensational. His final performance, and it’s absolutely knockout.”

He adds: “Of course, at the end of it, we’ve got a new Doctor. Peter has already been in to do his first scene… I’m writing Peter’s first episode right now, and the scripts for his first season are coming in.”