Awoo.

Annoyances in Sonic games

Blash

What irritates you off in Sonic games, or in the franchise as a whole? Gameplay mechanics, characters, level types, etc... whatever. Speak your mind.. but play nice :P

For me, the thing that ticks me off the most is how your score resets when you die, like in like Next Gen and Unleashed. I hate it... so... much... I understand why it's like that I suppose, but it pisses me off to no end :(

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DaBatGuy

• Diogenes

• Blash

• Frozen Nitrogen

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Green Hill Zone.

Yeah, it was a good level, and I can understand why it's the most obvious location to reference, but there's just too much of it. Seems like every other Sonic game has a GHZ knockoff in it, usually as the first level. And whenever there's a spinoff with reused locations, you're almost guaranteed to get GHZ before anything else (I'm kind of surprised that SaSASR doesn't have it...even if Seaside Hill is still pretty close). And I honestly can't stand to listen to the music anymore.

It's not that I want the level (or the level cliche) to die off, I'd just like to see other locations get more time. There's more levels in Sonic 1 than GHZ, and there's more games in the series than Sonic 1.

The Werehog.

And I don't mean in a sort of nebulous, vague dislike of the character; I mean pretty much every aspect of his gameplay was piss-annoying. Ledge-crawling, button-mash fights, keystone fetch quests, stretch-arm control awkwardness... gargleflarglebargle.

Unleashed day stages 4 life, yo! B)

Unless they're 2D of course.

As awesome as Sonic CD is I really hate how time travel was implemented. It's great concept but it requires far too much work to enjoy. I don't understand why the time posts demand so much speed and momentum to activate in the most platform heavy of the 2D Sonics. aAlso you'll have to repeat this process at least 3 times per act to find the badnik generator and unlock the good future stage.

Here a checklist of what you have to do just get there:

1. Find a past post.

2. Find an exploitable speed section, don't move fast or hit another post until you get there.

3. If you succeeded proceed to step 4, if not repeat from step one.

4. Find the badnik generator.

5. Find a present post.

6. Find an exploitable speed section, don't move fast or hit another post until you get there.

7. If you succeeded proceed to step 8, if not repeat from step 5.

8. Find a future post.

9. Find an exploitable speed section, don't move fast or hit another post until you get there.

10. If you succeeded proceed to step 11, if not repeat from step 8.

11. Enjoy the cool graphics and awesome remixed music while you can, you're probably close to end by now anyway.

Unfortunately this requires lots of exploration and backtracking which the levels aren't designed for. Very often you'll find yourself in the past but realize you took the wrong path or progressed too far to reach the generator. Even if you do manage to reach the good future version you'll usually be too far into the act to enjoy it.

That said, Sonic CD is still a really fun game to play through if you ignore the time posts. It's just really annoying that counter-intuitive design prevents me from enjoying 2/3rds of the levels.

The Werehog.

And I don't mean in a sort of nebulous, vague dislike of the character; I mean pretty much every aspect of his gameplay was piss-annoying. Ledge-crawling, button-mash fights, keystone fetch quests, stretch-arm control awkwardness... gargleflarglebargle.

Epic win! I do like the werehog though dispite his flaws. It does make a good silent horror special. :)

One thing that had bugged me is the fact Tails could have an instant death in Sky Patrol. I liked it yes but I thought it was too annoying. D:

Edited by Horror Punk Tim

I hate the fact that Sega hasn't made a 2D Sonic game like Rush (Don't think of Sonic 4 with this scenario) and they still haven't made a "make your own level" option, upload it online, download others and rate them. Also, they need to make another 2D Sonic game that allows you to race others online with more characters than just Blaze and Sonic (SRA remember?). Maybe just adding Knuckles, Tails, Shadow and maybe Amy would be just enough. Also, 2 players should be able to pick the same character.

At least an option that lets you make your own stage should be implemented. I mean, Capcom did it with Megaman Powered up and it wasn't all that bad. I mean, with the Sonic stage creator you probably won't be able to add on one of those short 3D sections but I could care less.

Well, to put the annoying/nitpicking out of the way, the "technical quality" of past games, but unleashed was good. I guess one of the major things that annoyed me was that enemies regained health whenever you failed a QTE in unleashed, which seems like a horrible idea after I played God of War. Also, the requirement of some games of making you have to backtrack, like for resources/medals. I personally didn't have much of a problem with these, but I can easily see why unleashed was so divisive as it is(even when NOT factoring in the werehog).

they still haven't made a "make your own level" option, upload it online, download others and rate them.

It'd kind of tricky to say...they did make some sort of level creator thing that you could share you levels online in some Sega site, but the engine was prone to some problems, it was a somewhat "rehash level" only(really, purple labyrinth, palm trees, and Sonic 1 kinds of gimmicks), and were limited in options. The option for a "real" Sonic game though, not yet, it'd be cool if they could get it to happen.

Edited by Derg

The bosses in Sonic Advance 2, and mostly general glitches, especially in Heroes.

And how lame Sonic CD's final boss is. The bosses are really great and quirky throughout the game, then the final one is a piss easy boring thing where you spend most of the battle waiting (not even avoiding many attacks). Sonic Rush's bosses also involve too much waiting around.

Also the constant re-use of Green Hill zone, especially Sunset Hill zone, with it's HORRIBLE screechy music, and really fucking bad level design (though that is subjective in the first place).