Awoo.

Sonic Rivals 1 & 2, Shadow, Sonic 2006, Unleashed, NotW, Riders 1 & 2, Heroes, Adventure, Rush, and SASASRWBK prototype and concept stuffs

HunterTSF

The font, Shadzter, seems to indicate promotional artwork for Sonic 3D - Flickies' Island as that was the designated "Sonic" font at the time. Perhaps it can therefore be earmarked as SEGA Saturn promotional artwork for that game? Just a theory, mind.

It was an official wallpaper from Sonic Team. There were at least other two. I've no idea where they were found originally. 1996 was the year of Sonic 3D. There're no wallpapers in the Saturn disc (Jam had it for example) but who knows for the PC disc. If anyone has it, please check it. Maybe they were available on the site? Or promotional work like someone said.

2la5tom.jpg

o0sb5w.jpg (lol)

Edited by redmenace

• 4 months later...

Oh hey again guise! I was snooping around my hard drive as usual you see, and I happened to bump into some unposted concept artwork that I found back when I was on my concept spree. Posting all of the interesting finds here. The more technical and mundane stuff will be included alongside the rest of the concept art in a new expansion pack! Woo woo! I'll have it up for download soon.

Ever get flustered over how little of Sonic Rivals 2's map you get actually get to see crammed on such a tiny screen clustered alongside messy menu items and whatnot? Well fret no more! Giovanni Sasso worked on the HUD and menu system of the game, and he was awesome enough to display some of the beta menu themes (some of which I like better than the final - check out the colours, woooaahhhh!) as well as a high-resolution set of images displaying the game's map in its entirety.

GiovanniSasso.jpg

Aww, those beta menus were cool. I like the cards-themed and "classic" Sonic ones! Map artwork is epic.

I also found more of Barett Meeker's stuff! We can finally know the name of Eggman's computer room in which the funny antics of the Egg Pawns and the Chaotix hacking team took place - the EggLab! Ohohoho as if you didn't see that coming. Also, Black Doom.

BarrettMeeker2.jpg

EggLab is awesome.

Daniel Lam's a pretty cool guy. He was the lead animator of the original Sonic Rivals! He actually talks about some of his involvement in the game's development in these pics (granted you can't read them in the following collage). Neat!

DanielLam.jpg

Artsy model posing and stuff! They kinda look like papercrafts due to their low poly count.

Yup yup, I'll get the new pack up soon. There's six other artists that will be included in there. :>

EDIT: Oh! And I got that beta/remix Rivals music ripped too. I'll be sure to throw them in the pack as well.

RE-EDIT: Wow, it's a good thing I grabbed this stuff when I did! Since my spree began Osness' site has gone down and Sasso is no longer showcasing anything video game related. D:

Edited by HunterTSF
  • Thumbs Up 5

Holy crap this is amazing! Thankyouthankyouthankyou for finding all of this! :D

stephenpearce.jpg

^Do you happen to have a larger version of both of these pics? I would love to have them as my desktop. :)

Since we're discussing lost art and beta stuff theres two pieces of artwork I've been hunting down for ages and have had NO LUCK what-so-ever.

The first is an SA styled piece of Chaos Zero artwork from Sonic Adventure 1, I don't even know if this exists since I've never seen it, I've only heard people speak of it when the Sonic Channel Chaos artwork was released.

The second piece of artwork is something that DOES exist, but has never been released to the public in it's full form, I'm talking of course about the Super Sonic artwork from Sonic Shuffle:

supersonic_shuffle_icon01.png

supersonic_shuffle_icon02.png

Both of those are likely edits of the original piece of artwork since the Shuffle character expression icons are all edits of Sonic Adventure artwork, which leads me to believe this particular piece of artwork WAS from Sonic Adventure and also increases the chances of their being official artwork of Chaos in the same style.

AAUK, a few months ago you talked about a concept-art of Shade without her helmet, do you think you can post it please?

Also, does someone has a bigger version of this?

np04a.jpg

I actually have a bigger version of that, as a poster in my room but I don't know how'd I get it to you... The poster was in a Nintendo Power Poster Release Book though, there was a double sided Chronicles poster.

It's actually fairly vertical, let me at least get a phone camera shot of it. Be up in a sec.

EDIT: Sorry for the phone quality and a bit of blurriness, but it's at least bigger soo...

22010812016orig.jpg

Also as a bonus took this common I'm sure but still cool poster from an early issue of Sonic The Comic in Europe.

22010812007orig.jpg

That one is humongous though. Yay for being a dork and last year deciding to put up all of these posters I had laying around. *W*

Edited by Dusk the Alan Wake Keeper
  • Thumbs Up 1

Holy crap this is amazing! Thankyouthankyouthankyou for finding all of this! :D

^Do you happen to have a larger version of both of these pics? I would love to have them as my desktop. :)

Why, yes I do! You can grab the Sonic Rivals 2 concept art from the concept art pack.

You can also grab expansion pack 1 from here, which has some of the more recent findings. I'm going to upload expansion pack 2 right now.

• Thumbs Up 1

Expansion Pack 2 is up! Be sure to grab the original pack as well as expansion pack 1 if you haven't already.

ExpansionPack2.jpg

Check out the images, woooaaahhh! For maximum enjoyment, you should look at all of these pics while listening to Chris Rezanson's Sonic Rivals mixes!

Since we're discussing lost art and beta stuff theres two pieces of artwork I've been hunting down for ages and have had NO LUCK what-so-ever.

The first is an SA styled piece of Chaos Zero artwork from Sonic Adventure 1, I don't even know if this exists since I've never seen it, I've only heard people speak of it when the Sonic Channel Chaos artwork was released.

The second piece of artwork is something that DOES exist, but has never been released to the public in it's full form, I'm talking of course about the Super Sonic artwork from Sonic Shuffle:

supersonic_shuffle_icon01.png

supersonic_shuffle_icon02.png

Both of those are likely edits of the original piece of artwork since the Shuffle character expression icons are all edits of Sonic Adventure artwork, which leads me to believe this particular piece of artwork WAS from Sonic Adventure and also increases the chances of their being official artwork of Chaos in the same style.

I too, have been looking for that ages, and have found nothing :/

I suspect they just edited a picture of Sonic in his normal state. It could even be an edit of a picture of Shadow, unless he wasn't around yet.

Edited by Phos

You're assuming Shadow and the artwork couldn't have existed within Sega at the time. Considering Shuffle and SA2's release dates, it's possible that their development cycles were concurrent and thus art could've been used between the two titles. I think Phos may be on to something; After all, that Super Sonic picture looks exceedingly close to this image of Shadow.

• Thumbs Up 1

I just noticed that you can see a quill sticking off to the side in the bottom left corner of the image. I'm fairly certain that that isn't how Sonic artist guy (I have a hard time remembering spellings for words I don't know how to pronounce) draws Super Sonic, but that is how Shadow is usually depicted. I also notice that the nose is pointed, could this be a picture of Shadow when he was a Tenrec?

I just noticed that you can see a quill sticking off to the side in the bottom left corner of the image. I'm fairly certain that that isn't how Sonic artist guy (I have a hard time remembering spellings for words I don't know how to pronounce) draws Super Sonic, but that is how Shadow is usually depicted.

Back in the Dreamcast days, Super Sonic's quills were shaped exactly like Shadow's. His quills changed (and got all pointed up) in Sonic Heroes, which is why that Sonic Channel art looks like that. So if there was a piece of Super Sonic artwork drawn during the DC era, his quills would probably be drawn the same exact way as Shadow's.

But anyway, comparing the two pieces, that Super Sonic art does just look like an edited picture of Shadow. That's one mystery [apparently] solved.

Back in the Dreamcast days, Super Sonic's quills were shaped exactly like Shadow's.

Not exactly. This didn't occur until the very end of Sonic Adventure 2. I don't have the models on hand right now, but there is a very clear difference between Adventure/Shuffle Super Sonic, and Adventure 2 Shadow. The best way I could say it is that Super's quills were more outward than Shadow's were. They were also a slagton more angular. In any case, I doubt that it's an edit of a Shadow image, especially THAT one. Perspective is different and all, and Super there actually has different shading to the Adventure style standard. My guess is that there is no full image. The art may have been made specifically for that purpose.

I think I'll edit this post with the model image when I get a chance. There's one certain perspective that explains it all.

Expansion Pack 2 is up! Be sure to grab the original pack as well as expansion pack 1 if you haven't already.

ExpansionPack2.jpg

Check out the images, woooaaahhh! For maximum enjoyment, you should look at all of these pics while listening to Chris Rezanson's Sonic Rivals mixes!

I have a double sided poster that came in GamesMaster of that Shadow artwork where he has his back turned, other side only has Lego Star Wars on it though. I wondered if there was an hi-res version on the net anywhere of the Shadow art. Great job HunterTSF :D

Here's the poster, sorry for DSi quality -

http://img375.imageshack.us/i/shadowthehedgehogposter.jpg/

I've also got a double sided Sonic Riders poster, can't remember which magazine it came from though as it's an official SEGA made poster.

http://img44.imageshack.us/i/sonicridersposterside1.jpg/

http://img514.imageshack.us/i/sonicridersposterside2.jpg/

Damn forum won't let me directly post them up for some reason, just keep getting "You are not allowed to use that image extension on this board."

You can see the top of Super's body at the bottom of that image, I'd honestly be surprised if there wasn't a full image. Plus the right ear is in a different position to Shadow's, the muzzle is a different shape at the top and Super's bottom quill sticks out from higher than Shadow's.

It was probably just Super Sonic concept art from Adventure, like how Silver had SA styled concept art for STH06.

Did Super have default life icon artwork for Shuffle? Because the two images from the Art Archive look like they'd be the 'moving down' and 'moving up' the score table artwork rather than the default stuff, idk I haven't played Shuffle in years.

Yes he did. His face was in something of a neutral position. I'd show it, but I'm away from home right now and don't have access to my files.

• 6 months later...

Hello everyone! Don't think I revived the topic for nothing^^.

Suddenly I remembered about Leo Santos profile. Remember that guy? He worked for Blur studios and I'm sure you all know what those guys were doing, don't ya?]]

So.. He updated his profile. For some strange reason, he deleted all those awesome CG screenshots from Shadow the hedgehog. He only left one and it's not that special. there's also a part of the CG opening with Sonic and Shadow, but there's nothing special about it either.

BUT, he updated some info on Sonic the hedgehog 2006. He uploaded two videos from Sonic story: the opening [a part of it to be precise] and the ending. Both have alternate music and a couple of moments I believe we haven't seen [they didn't make it in the final version, which was in the game]. So, watch and enjoy!

CLICK!

Here are a couple of awesome screenshots from those unseen moments.

sngopeningsomenewmoment.jpg

sngopeningsomenewmoment.jpg

Maybe you guys got some new concept stuff too?^_^

Edited by ArtFenix
  • Thumbs Up 1

Oh, right! Super Sonic! I totally forgot about this topic!

Shuffle_Super_Stuff.png

Got the result good and bad, the standard icon, and the activated character select icon. If you compare to the current Super Sonic Uekawa art, you'll see that the shading all over is a bit different. That's because he doesn't have the yellow aura in these images. Basically these are the colors that are used before said aura is applied.

Woah, awesome bump there ArtFenix! Nice to see new material being posted by these artists so long after the game's release. Those vids are awesome!

I actually have found some minor new stuffs lying about, but they happen to be on another computer. Until then though, check out this snazzy fly-through of several Zones from Sonic Rivals (among other things) by former Backbone Entertainment artist Aaron Parrott!

Feel free to check out his other neat videos! Well, aside from that "movie days" demo reel, that is. Unless you're fond of bloodsucking parasitic mammary worm monsters.

Oh, and Antony Ward has finally posted his work on Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing back up again! Here's a new render.

05_OtherCars.jpg

Pretty awesome, eh?

Edited by HunterTMLPFIMF
  • Thumbs Up 2