Awoo.

Kombo looks at Sonic 4 from a classic fan eye

Detective Shadzter

You're right. But I meant lazy on a conceptual level.

This kind of retro revival was almost unheard of at the time, a game intentionally

I'm being superficial, kinda like a lot of people have been by getting all up in arms that Sonic 4's not exactly the way they envisioned it.

You say I'm superficial when this game didn't just defy my basic expectations of what a real Sonic 4 would be, or the hopes I created after the initial announcement, it appears to be diametrically opposed to them AND to the words of the announcement itself.

You say I'm superficial when this game didn't just defy my basic expectations of what a real Sonic 4 would be, or the hopes I created after the initial announcement,

That's really your issue, dude. You set up expectations to have them broken down into little pieces. It's tragic, but that's what happens in life. You really shouldn't let that get in the way of enjoying a potentially wonderful game.

it appears to be diametrically opposed to them AND to the words of the announcement itself.

Except it really isn't. SEGA never led anybody on like you said they did. What happened was you took the wrong cues. It's understandable, but this is just one of the many things you need to let go and live with.

This is Sonic 4. Whether any of us likes it or not.

Also: Who in the name of Eggman's polka-dotted nighties is Kombo, and why should I care what they think?

Edited by Indigo Dude
  • Thumbs Up 2

You say I'm superficial when this game didn't just defy my basic expectations of what a real Sonic 4 would be, or the hopes I created after the initial announcement, it appears to be diametrically opposed to them AND to the words of the announcement itself.

I actually did the dumbest thing anyone could do and took my own argument out of context, simply to make a different point. Here's the whole thing:

I'm being superficial, kinda like a lot of people have been by getting all up in arms that Sonic 4's not exactly the way they envisioned it. Which is fine, for debating graphical appeal alone. But it takes on an entirely new form when you say it detracts from the experience that the gameplay provides.

Also, I could go on to say that there was barely anything to base your vision off of Sonic 4 in the first place besides its actually announcement, but I made that argument before, and people got PHAN RAEG.

This kind of retro revival was almost unheard of at the time

Doesn't stop it from looking lazy on the surface level. I mean, I have yet to see a game on the PS3 with PS1-quality graphics. But hey, it's unheard of! ;)

The reason why it LOOKS (and only LOOKS) lazy is because it's not doing anything new in terms of the graphics, but is simply reusing the old NES look. Which I liked a lot. But it's simply not innovative.

Edited by EXshad
  • Thumbs Up 1

Looks like somebody hasn't actually played the game.

^lol

Oh, sorry I forgot to mention weapons too. MY BAD-- It's TOTALLY not like every other Megaman series with 4-9 rehashes of the same thing.

(Don't get me wrong, I love Megaman-- but they seriously need to bring Legends back)

• Thumbs Up 1

Also: Who in the name of Eggman's polka-dotted nighties is Kombo, and why should I care what they think?

You should. His name is written with a "K" instead of a "C". He must be cool D:

That's really your issue, dude. You set up expectations to have them broken down into little pieces. It's tragic, but that's what happens in life. You really shouldn't let that get in the way of enjoying a potentially wonderful game.

Except it really isn't. SEGA never led anybody on like you said they did. What happened was you took the wrong cues. It's understandable, but this is just one of the many things you need to let go and live with.

I actually did the dumbest thing anyone could do and took my own argument out of context, simply to make a different point. Here's the whole thing:

Also, I could go on to say that there was barely anything to base your vision off of Sonic 4 in the first place besides its actually announcement, but I made that argument before, and people got PHAN RAEG.

Hahaha, Sega's PR guys are worse than politicians:

KB: Old-school Sonic fans have long asked to see Sonic return to a more 2D style of gameplay. Many liked the daytime stages in Unleashed, but wanted to see a game that plays purely similar to the early games of the Genesis. Project Needlemouse is that critical first step that brings Sonic back to his 2D roots.

Haha, any reason to expect Genesis physics is apparently coincidental.

Doesn't stop it from looking lazy on the surface level. I mean, I have yet to see a game on the PS3 with PS1-quality graphics. But hey, it's unheard of! ;)

The reason why it LOOKS (and only LOOKS) lazy is because it's not doing anything new in terms of the graphics, but is simply reusing the old NES look. Which I liked a lot. But it's simply not innovative.

It was the first time a developer had ever put artificial restrictions on the technical requirements of their game. Previously, these restrictions were essentially set in stone and limited what developers could make, but in many cases, they came up with novel solutions to their problems that gave the games appeal that they wouldn't have had otherwise. The only reason why Hideo Kojima made Metal Gear a stealth game was thanks to the hardware's limitations.

Kombo is the website not the person, the person who made the article there is called Lucas :P

I made a topic about the article because it shows even the "professional" gaming media cant be mature and open minded about the game when all they'd seen at the time of that article was was the 3 seconds of footage and concept art. I'm all for people having their own oppinions, thats cool and I respect that but the guy at Kombo made a very long ignorant article based only on what tiny stuff we were shown.

• Thumbs Up 2

@Phos: I jumped in thinking we were still debating about the model. My bad.

No, Phos is right about the physics. But even so, I don't really care all that much if it plays like Advance 1, 2 or Sonic 3&K, as long as I'm having fun with the game.

Still doesn't fix SEGA's perception of "classic Sonic" though.

Nothing new here but I noticed Sonic 4's been mentioned on The Gadget Show:

Starts at 4 minutes.

Not sure why, but it made me smile for a bit. I guess it's the nostalgia of a new 2D Sonic being a big deal again. The presenter herself claims to be a fan of the old games.

And wow that's a big TV.

I like to know why everyone is comparing Sonic 4 to Megaman 9 when it is really more like New Super Mario Bros.

• Thumbs Up 1

I like to know why everyone is comparing Sonic 4 to Megaman 9 when it is really more like New Super Mario Bros.

And when you draw that comparison, NSMB comes out for being entirely faithful to its roots while successfully adding the moves from the 3D games. While I found it the Wii iteration lacking (can't be assed to collect all the star coins, so bored), the DS game is the jam (still play it).

The comparison to MM9 is made mostly due to them both being numbered sequels.

• Bad Quality Post 1

And when you draw that comparison, NSMB comes out for being entirely faithful to its roots while successfully adding the moves from the 3D games.

And how faithful are we talking here?

The old SMB never had Bowser Jr., and there are a some extra additions to it as well than just new moves, such as surviving Bowser rampage when he grows in size and shoots fire balls at you until you reach the end.

Sonic really does correlate more like NSMB than MM9 when comparing the games. Saying Sonic 4 isn't staying truthful to it's roots unlike NSMB is more like grabing straws just to denounce the game even further.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic
  • Thumbs Up 2

And when you draw that comparison, NSMB comes out for being entirely faithful to its roots while successfully adding the moves from the 3D games. While I found it the Wii iteration lacking (can't be assed to collect all the star coins, so bored), the DS game is the jam (still play it).

I agree with CSS here. Entirely faithful my foot. NSMB is flat out better than it's predecessor because of the fact that it *wait for it* evolved. There were new ideas being implemented and the only things retro about it was Fireball Mario,Mushrooms, Coins, Blocks, and the fact that it was 2-D. Everything NSMB did is what Sonic 4 is doing now. Even if Megaman 9 is canon throughout the series, it still isn't anything like Sonic 4 or it's later installments. For one, Capcom had no reason to digress the way they did other than pure nostalgic motives and it certainly didn't get them any new fans for the series. By new fans, I mean "kids." The only thing that I fault Sega for is making the episodes DLC because most people who have access to online are adults so of course they would be bias to what Sonic is.

And when you draw that comparison, NSMB comes out for being entirely faithful to its roots while successfully adding the moves from the 3D games.

lol, and you make this claim while bashing Sonic 4 for being a rehash.... :rolleyes:

Honestly, what is it you want from this game? I can understand the argument for it being too much of rehash. The argument that it is quite different, while really nonsensical in my opinion, is also somewhat legitimate. But making both claims whenever it seems most appropriate when it comes to knocking on the game is...well...silly, with all due respect. A lot of your criticisms of the game are completely legit, for obvious reasons, but it's not cool talk out of both sides of your mouth, 'cause that makes baby hedgehogs cry :(

Also, NSMB and Sonic 4 look identical in terms of what they're trying to achieve, as well as what you said: being entirely faithful to its roots while successfully adding the moves from the 3D games. I'm confused.... :unsure:

Edited by EXshad

Why is it that we're comparing MegaMan to Sonic when the X and Zero series' were both FAR superior to their 8-Bit counterparts? That's basically saying that the Advance and Rush games were better than the MegaDrive titles - BLASPHEMY!

Am i the only one here who is'nt hyped by the game by the reason it's a direct sequel to Sonic 3and knuckles? Honestly I could care lesse. I just want it to be good. when this game takes plac

lern tu spel

Why is it that we're comparing MegaMan to Sonic when the X and Zero series' were both FAR superior to their 8-Bit counterparts? That's basically saying that the Advance and Rush games were better than the MegaDrive titles - BLASPHEMY!

At least BURN!!!! the 8-BURN TO THE GROUND!!!! bit games had BURN!! BURN!!!! better music, IMOBURN TO THE GROUND!!!!!1. couldn't resist.

I don't know, the 8-bit games seemed to have more appeal to them for me. Though the X series did have an interesting setting.

Edited by Black Spy
  • Thumbs Up 1

Why is it that we're comparing MegaMan to Sonic when the X and Zero series' were both FAR superior to their 8-Bit counterparts?

This is so true.

That's basically saying that the Advance and Rush games were better than the MegaDrive titles - BLASPHEMY!

Well your milage may vary in terms of Rush.

I don't care if somebody wants to say Advance/Rush being better than the classic trilogy (this fandom is crazy enough to proclaim such a thing), but anybody who says that X is better than classic Mega Man will rue the day.

I don't care if somebody wants to say Advance/Rush being better than the classic trilogy (this fandom is crazy enough to proclaim such a thing), but anybody who says that X is better than classic Mega Man will rue the day.

Off-topic: I only liked the first five of the X series. Hell I don't even consider the other 3. The first five were marvelous and fantastic. As for the Zero series, it's Zero. Enough said.

On-topic: As for Sonic Rush being better than the original, I certainly don't think so. But I have seen people say that Rush had potential to be better than anything that Genesis ever produced if not the closest thing to it. I'll just leave it at that.

I don't care if somebody wants to say Advance/Rush being better than the classic trilogy (this fandom is crazy enough to proclaim such a thing), but anybody who says that X is better than classic Mega Man will BURN TO THE GROUND!!!!

okay I'll stop. :P