Awoo.

Sonic 4 Playtested By Community Member

Slingerland

Right, Endri screws up English on occasion and it's hard to understand him. Some guy at Retro took one of his typos and ran with it.

He says we're getting something tomorrow. He's probably also losing his job tomorrow. Sucks, because I thought his job was sweet.

That would suck since he just gave us his impression without any screens or videos leak. Not his fault if we're gullible. It's up to the people who actually did read it to interpret it as truth or bullshit. Although, I'm more inclined to believe Endri's impression than Sega's marketing... word of mouf can be a beautiful thing.

But whatever, fuck it. It's probably not going to be a bad game.

Edited by Light

That's a lot of stuff to fix five months outside the release then. :s

First, it's "just a teaser," then it's "only 3 seconds," then it became "it's only an alpha build." Now, it's "only a playtest." Lol.

You know, I was a big supporter of the game and defended it when those judged it during that 3 second gameplay fiasco, but this is the best post I've read so far. If episode 1 winds up being bad I expect to see many "it's only 1 episode guys!" posts.

• Thumbs Up 2

That's a lot of stuff to fix five months outside the release then. :s

First, it's "just a teaser," then it's "only 3 seconds," then it became "it's only an alpha build." Now, it's "only a playtest." Lol.

Hah hah, here's a good one, have you heard it?

"It's not even out yet."

How are you guys getting the idea that it's going to suck balls just from watching a three second clip, a shaky recording of an alpha build, then reading some guy's opinion on the game? Have YOU played it? I mean, I know you're worried it's not going to turn out right, but don't knock it untill you try it.

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 1

Personally, I love Sonic Advance 2 but it would have been nice if this game had psychics more similar to the older games.

Edited by W.A.C.

I believe him, but I really don't want to. 8(

This doesn't surprise me in the slightest though- we've seen laziness since day one (especially with the many website screw ups.) Calling it Sonic 4... making us take part in competitions to find out information... promising a return to form (again)... and then for it to turn out like this? When will we learn?

If this turns out to be as bad as what that guy says, honestly, I wish they'd never release an Episode II. Heck, I wish they'd never release a Sonic game ever again. If they can't at least manage to make a decent game at this stage, Sonic 4, I doubt they ever will.

Honestly, I'm not saying anything until I play it myself. It looks alright to me, but if what Endri says is true it probably won't be so hot. I'm playing the demo before I make any assumptions or form and true, valid, opinions on the game.

I find it strange that people are wishing so much ill on him when he's not really benefiting from doing it.

I was being somewhat sarcastic.

Not that he should've leaked anything in the first place though. If he gets fired, it's not because I want him to be (don't care, actually want to since I hate waiting), it's because he kind of deserved it.

I find it weird they'd model it after Advance 2 however. That was the most poorly received. It's like making a Shadow 2 or a Sonic 06 2. I suppose they were platinum hits and all that, but really? Damage your image any further?

Edited by redmenace

I find it strange that people are wishing so much ill on him when he's not really benefiting from doing it.

Wait... people are seriously wishing misfortune on the guy?

Seriously guys, take it was a nice bag of salt and wait for his "proof" tomorrow. If he's right, he's right, and if he's trolling... well, it's just a game. It's not worth wishing bad shit on someone over...

Though I still swear previous leaks from past major Sonic titles have sounded just like this. Though once in a blue moon, they're very true, and proof is delivered. Case in point: the Sonic 2006 script that Sonic Cult uncovered about 2 months before the game was released.

That would suck since he just gave us his impression without any screens or videos leak. It's up to the people who actually did read it to interpret it as truth or bullshit. Truthfully, I'm more inclined to believe Endri's impression than Sega's marketing... word of mouf can be a beautiful thing.

But whatever, fuck it. It's probably not going to be a bad game.

I agree with this...

Also, I really hope this guy is telling the truth, I don't want the game to be like Advance 2 (one of the few Sonic games I hated), neither I wish this to fail...

But I would really feel outraged really disappointed if this turns out to be a lie, I mean, lying to the whole community? And lying to your friends!?

That's way too low... :(

Edited by imarafan

Damn I take one short nap and this shit happens.

However, since it has corkscrews and a homing attack it's now been whittled down to either being Sonic 2.5 or Sonic Advance 2.5. A 50/50 chance of success is probably the best odds we've had in a long time, sadly.

And it still wasn't enough. Seems like we could shove S3&K in Sega's faces for years and they still won't get it.

Why would they wait 5 months to release the game if it was "basically finished"? Any other time Sega rush Sonic games out the door.

Sorry but without proof I just don't believe it. I guess we'll know for sure tomorrow if the guy is BSing or not. No proof by tomorrow would lead me to believe he's full of shit.

• Thumbs Up 1

I find it weird they'd model it after Advance 2 however. That was the most poorly received. It's like making a Shadow 2 or a Sonic 06 2. I suppose they were platinum hits and all that, but really? Damage your image any further?

[LINK]

What the hell are you talking about? It was the most well received Sonic game of the decade and for damn good reasons.

But I would really feel outraged really disappointed if this turns out to be a lie, I mean, lying to the whole community? And lying to your friends!?

That's way too low... :(

On the contrary, I would be quite delighted in the fallout that'd be certain to follow if this turned out to be untrue and MichaelJacksonpopcorn.gif'ing the place. Call it Jerry Springer Syndrome; It's such an easy way to deal with net drama.

But on a semi-serious note, if I were him, I wouldn't have merely told people about this and waited to upload the footage a day after. It just sends across a negative vibe, and the question of "Why couldn't he upload it now" just lingers in the air. You tread carefully with stuff like this, and it's always easier to eliminate doubt from the get-go.

It has to be a troll.

It just doesn't make sense considering that the game is still 5 months away from release and yet it's being submitted to Microsoft for approval.

This is incorrect. XBLA games are submitted to Microsoft for approval long before they actually come out on the service. 5 months is actually about standard with how things are handled for most XBLA content.

Regardless, Sonic Advance 2 wasn't that terrible to begin with, and from the gameplay leak we've seen, it looks like more of a toned-down version of the same game, which is definitely not a bad thing.

If it wasn't called Sonic 4.

From what Endri's saying, it sounds like Sonic Advance 2 Sonic in a Sonic Advance 1 game.

Which implies Sonic Advance 3. But, really, what are the chances of Sega fucking things so badly that they promised "teh classix" and ended up with "Sonic Advance 3 Part 2?" I mean, I know that Sonic Team are flunkies, but they would have to be intentionally fucking up to do something that stupid. Things can't be that bad, can they?

[LINK]

What the hell are you talking about? It was the most well received Sonic game of the decade and for damn good reasons.

WHAT?

Sonic Advance 2 was the most weak of them all.

It's looking pretty grim for a gameplay sequel to S3&K. I'd like to know a few things from Endri. Advance 2 was pretty much a downhill affair, levels consisted of slopes to the right. Does he mean the levels here are made for speed? Because the Splash Hill leak didn't look built like Advance 2. He also mentions bosses without detail. Bosses were the one thing I thought Dimps had a firm grasp on. I prefer Advance 2 to the first. The second is like a Rush prototype, and I think that's cool because it's Dimps' style. The first feels like an imitation to me. Either way Sega shouldn't have called this Sonic 4 unless they knew they were sitting on gold.

I don't think I believe him. If the alpha footage is anything to go by, his description of the jump sounds inaccurate. Not once does Sonic "jump like he's on the moon", nor do any short hops have fast descent. It all just doesn't add up. The level design in the leak also looks a lot less linear than the way he described, unless all that was a lie?

WHAT?

Sonic Advance 2 was the most weak of them all.

Did we play the same game? I really liked sonic Advance 1 and I love SA2, but I absolutely hate Sonic Advance 3 which thankfully got the worst reception of the three games. Why did you hate SA2 so much?

Edited by W.A.C.

OK, caught up on everything (been too busy having a blast in Resident Evil 5 Lost in Nightmares DLC).

I am waiting to see how this guy plays his cards, I don't have any reason to disbelieve him, but the thing is I don't want this to be true... Sonic Advance 2 and Sonic Rush, I didn't like those titles. I loved Sonic Advance and Sonic Rush Adventure, hell, I even had some fun with Sonic Advance 3, but Advance 2 and Rush in my opinion had some complete shit platforming. The bad kind of shit. I didn't like them really. Levels were too linear and uninteresting, I get bored playing these games and don't have fun in their stages.

However, I will say from the leaked gameplay, what he is saying does not match up with what I have seen. In terms of how the game works, besides the wonky jumping, but that was from an alpha. Does he really know what stage the game is in or is he just guessing or took something wrong? English is not his first language after all. I am keeping an open mind, but if this really is "Sonic Rush Advance 2 THE SECOND" then I will be severely dissapointed. Also if the game is with serious physics issues, I will be heartbroken.

Edited by blackarms
  • Thumbs Up 1

Did we play the same game? I really liked sonic Advance 1 and I love SA2, but I absolutely hate Sonic Advance 3 which thankfully got the worst reception of the three games. Why did you hate SA2 so much?

SAdv2 (So as not to confuse it with Sonic Adventure 2 by calling it SA2) is pretty much the precursor to Rush's speed-centric gameplay in that the many of levels are way too linear and little variety in the level design to where you could bolt in the stage as soon as you hit a dash pad.

I'll be fair in that it's pretty much a super fast Sonic Advance 1, but an even bigger problem with it that I find is how straight forward it is or how later levels can instill a fear of pits thanks to how numerous they get as you progress (Such as Techno Base, Sky Canyon, and Egg Utopia) and the method to reach the Chaos Emeralds borders on nigh-impossible to get thanks to the 7 special rings scatter through each act.

Sonic Advance 3 pretty much returns back to Sonic Advance 1, except it adds on a team feature that isn't actually required to be used as much. It's pretty much a way to just fool around in the game. It's not exactly as bad as SAdv2, but it brings back a more platformy and exploration feel too it and tones down the speed. That said however, it ends up adding a bit more fear of falling into pits as you progress in stages like Techno Track and Chaos Angel in that you don't know where you will land once you so much as walk off a ledge.

That's my input between Advance 2 and 3.

• Thumbs Up 1

Alright, I did not read through this shit-storm of a thread. I'm just gonna say this though.

I saw the gameplay video. Sonic's jumping is absolutely and unquestionably broken. You cannot deny that no matter how much you try. It is as floaty as a Luigi SMB2 jump, and really does look like Sonic is on the moon. I had high hopes for Sonic 4. I never in a hundred years would have guessed that the one thing that would ruin the game would be FUCKING GOD AWFUL JUMP PHYSICS!

Oh, and is it too early to say "Sonic TwOne HD: Shit Edition"?

Honestly?

Damn! You guys are so gullible.

I'm gonna laugh when/if this ends up being a huge lie.

If he provides concrete evidence (which I highly doubt he will), then I'll... I don't know, I'll think of something.

:)

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Bad Quality Post 2

Sonic's jumping physics have been shit since Advance 2, it just sounds like they managed to make them worse somehow.

And Endri has been well known within the research community for a while now, he's pretty credible.

Edited by Phos