Awoo.

Sonic 4 Playtested By Community Member

Slingerland

The only part that sounds fishy to me is the mention of backtracking, holding right until the game has you go left and then right again. That part is in the leak footage also, where the Newtron appears. I wanna know, if he's a playtester, isn't he allowed to complain about this kind of broken stuff in the game?

I always mistrust "inside sources."

I don't understand why this is seen as being delusional. It's the internet. It's a given.

EDIT - and either way, I don't have much sympathy for someone whose given inside information and then flaunts it about despite the trust people like Sega have put into him.

Have you seen that he's promising to dump the game now?

That's not right, even if he does have it.

Edited by Razorsaw

All I can say to this, is wait till its released and not over jump the gun. Maybe this guy got fired for a different reason and is trying to bring Sonic 4 to the ground to hurt Sega. Who knows! There crazy people out there. :blink:

The person who leaked New Super Mario Bros Wii a week or so in advance was fined a whopping $1.3 Million.

We're talking 5 months before release. This could get really nasty, really fast.

Well, considering the supposed leaker had popped on and off the Retro boards with no mention of anything leads me to think *COUGHBULLSHITCOUGH*

Edited by Doctor Eggman

Why is everyone trying so hard to believe this isn't true? People that know the guy said he would never troll the community like this. I'm sure half of you saw this coming, so I wouldn't jump to conclusions and go "OMG FAKE" whenever something that most likely is true that comes up is bad. It... makes it seem like all of you are in denial. Don't forget this is Sega/Sonic Team/Dimps we're dealing with.

But then again, I did enjoy Rush and Advance 2 a whole lot, so I probably will like it. I'll be disappointed that it wouldn't be consistent with the older games' quality, but it'd be pointless to complain.

And oh yeah, ever since I saw the leaked footage, I thought it had a "low sense of gravity" when Sonic jumped. So I believe him.

Edited by MugiMikey

Why is everyone trying so hard to believe this isn't true?

Because this is the internet and you shouldn't believe everything you hear.

• Thumbs Up 2

Its because its unlikely. He mentions things, but doesn't go into detail. From what I saw, his english is pretty good, so it can't be because he didn't know how to say it in english.

Almost everythin ghe said can be seen in the video and pics.

And of course, we are Sonic fans, we want this game to be good :).

It may be fake. I belive it when i see the proof, but im not saying he is lying, no no.

And i will be happy if the game is more like Sonic Advance 2 than the Rush games. Sonic Advance 2 had some brilliant level designs for a speedy game with a verry small portion of platforming. SA2 is a good game, just not by any chance any my favourite Sonic games because of the lack of real platforming.

And wathever name the game will have or what game it plays like, i dont giva an F, as long as i get a good Sonic game on a homeconsole for once.

Edited by Michael Myers

Aye... But you're ignoring the fact that people that know this guy said he wouldn't do this.

And this type of thing happens all the the time. I'm just as much of a Sonic fan as you guys are, it's just within the past few years I've had to lower my standards. But I'm still hoping for the best.

Now, as for smaller details, the guy said he was in a hurry. But when I was looking through this topic I saw people mention him talking about posting more "proof"?

Also, I understand that he has been in the community for quite some time, but that shouldn't have any effect on the validity of his statements. You could know your neighbor for years and never suspect that they're a serial killer. Ever see Dexter?

Even if he IS telling the truth, this quote from Brad:

he had to run in and out
leads me to think that the supposed leaker didn't have a lot of time to play the game. Plus, how could he be invited to play it, yet now says he can leak the code himself? Couple this with the fact that he is a fangame maker and has a pretty big ego. He not only claims that he can design a better game, but once the Retro boards had over 100 readers he began to name drop his own projects. Edited by Doctor Eggman

Ânother reason why I don't believe it is that I'm usually very naive and believe things quite easily. So I decided to not believe this xD.

Edit: Also, I don't know the guy. TOday is the first time I have heard of him. So I can'T say if he's trustworthy or not, but I want to keep a critical position on this.

I'm sort of worried this is going to be the same thing as with DIGI and Trippy with Nights in SASASR....

Edited by MarcelloF

Edit: Also, I don't know the guy. TOday is the first time I have heard of him. So I can'T say if he's trustworthy or not, but I want to keep a critical position on this.

Neither do I, that's why I'm believing the people that do know him. But if he's as conceited as Doctor Eggman said, then I dunno. He could still be telling the truth but still think his work is better, which isn't pretty fair for the community to go by.

Edited by MugiMikey

Neither do I, that's why I'm believing the people that do know him. But if he's as conceited as Doctor Eggman said, then I dunno. He could still be telling the truth but still think his work is better, which isn't pretty fair for the community to go by.

That sounds smarter than what I'm doing xD.

This is a horrible arguement, considering the impression gave off that when/if the physics shape up it will play out as a Sonic Advance 2 which mind you is one of the best concieved Sonic games in the 2000's, not by fandom but by general popular opinion.

It is also the antithesis of all of the bullshit Sega has been promising. There are official press outlets that were giving the "I really hope this isn't like Sonic Rush" vibe back when the game was first announced. You really think people would look the other way in this case just because Advance 2 by itself was a popular title?

Totally agree with you here. Besides the whole advance series and also the rush series was meant to be played exactly like the classics, forget the speed boost, forget the sound barrier breaking gimmicks. It was a pure 2D Sonic games at heart.

If by "whole Advance series and Rush series," you mean "the first, and only the first, game," then yes.

Edited by Tornado

It is also the antithesis of all of the bullshit Sega has been promising. There are official press outlets that were giving the "I really hope this isn't like Sonic Rush" vibe back when the game was first announced. You really think people would look the other way in this case just because Advance 2 by itself was a popular title?

If by "whole Advance series and Rush series," you mean "the first, and only the first, game," then yes.

Sonic Advance could have been released as Sonic The Hedgehog 4. That's how close to the original series gameplay it is. Why cant Dimps(whoi did not even knew made the advance/rush games before i reached the core Sonic internet communitys like 3-4 years ago) make a game like that again? Now they overload the levels with running-grinding-running-grinding-grinding segments. Advance 1 was awesome. It hade like 4 grind rails thru out the whole game.

Edited by Michael Myers

Well... Yes. Cause Advance 2 is nothing like Sonic Rush to begin with.

*grumbles* I slept for ten or eleven hours straight in the hopes that this would've been settled one way or another by the time I awoke, and to my potentially-ignorant disappointment it hasn't. Unfortunately, I'm losing faith on the grounds of impatience. -.-;

Also, I may be being melodramatic with this, but since this rumor is unsolved and thus I don't have much more to say than what I've said across the two topics, I'd like to ask-- Am I still the only one around here a little pissed off at that little nugget of this rumor that he is willing to lose his job by breaching contract with his proof, in this horrible economy, when far more honest and good people are losing necessary work everyday? Unless he has another job on the backburner, him effectively giving this one up on the grounds of trying to prove some shit to some nerds on the Internet feels like spit in my eye.

Or has that been debunked or whatever?

Edited by Nepenthe

I'm going to keep an open mind regarding this whole thing.

I just dont get why SEGA has so many security problems and why they seem to let people in their offices that cant keep an NDA. We're a bloody fan-site and everytime we're told to keep quiet about stuff wedo it without a problem.

EDIT:

Also unlike the 1UP guy if we're told not to film a game we dont film it such as the Sonic Chronicles play test community day.

Well... Yes. Cause Advance 2 is nothing like Sonic Rush to begin with.

That's an argument of semantics, and for all practical purposes an incorrect one at that. Its generally been expected, except perhaps by the extreme pessimists, that Sega directly stating that this would be a classic style 2D platformer means that Sega would very well deliver a classic style 2D platformer. You really think Sega proceeding to deliver a game absolutely nothing like what they promised would be given a free pass?

Edited by Tornado

That's an argument of semantics, and for all practical purposes an incorrect one at that. Its generally been expected, except perhaps by the extreme pessimists, that Sega directly stating that this would be a classic style 2D platformer means that Sega would very well deliver a classic style 2D platformer. You really think Sega proceeding to deliver a game absolutely nothing like what they promised would be given a free pass?

Classic style gameplay for Advance 1 and 2 was, genuinely, what they were about. Advance 2 while yes, having a less more of a platform-oriented style than the other ones and abundantly huge levels that you still lose track over, did have the moments.

Also, that was what Sega promissed in the first place all along. A return to speedy, momentum based gameplay with minimal gimmicks and without boost-through-level moves. Now whether you find that Genesis styled or not is beyond questioning but Sega didnt break any promises of delivering a 2D Sonic game with classic elements and classic gameplay. Classic Level Design is a whole other subject of debate but even the leaked footage shows off that it is nothing like a Sonic Rush boostfest.

Edited by May

Advance 2 was barely in the same genre. It has little in common with Sonic gameplay.

:mellow:

How does that make any sense? Sonic Advance 2 HAD platforming, the spin jump/dash, characters that all played basically the same with minor gameplay and level tweaks, momentum-based gameplay...

The speed was simply upped and the level design focused far more on moving. Granted, you're right, it's different.... but how can you say they're not even in the same genre? You said a similar statement in the Sonic Rush topic, and.... with all due respect, I'm not trying to be offensive, but... it baffles me.

And while Sonic Advance 2 did differ from the classics by the increased emphasis on speed... it had a lot to do with Sonic, by the fact that Sonic's the fastest thing alive. At the time of the Genesis games, Sonic was the fastest platformer around, but as technology advanced, I believed developers tried to increase the sensation of speed Sonic could provide gamers. Granted, I think they missed the mark when they introduced the boost...

Anyhow, this is gettin' off topic, and I agree that Sonic Advance 2 style gameplay shouldn't be what Sonic 4 is modeled after, because even though I said developers are probably working to make Sonic faster, this being designed in the spirit of the classics, and it wouldn't feel right.

But whether this is a hoax or not will be determined soon. I'm just waiting on the "proof" before condemning the poor dude.

Edited by EXshad
  • Thumbs Up 1

Advance 2 was barely in the same genre. It has little in common with Sonic gameplay.

The formula is there, the exact structure is there and the gameplay style is there.Sonic's moves didnt complexify like Advance 3 or Rush, they were kept to the minimum of the Genesis games. My point still stands.

The differing factor in that game was level design and that the general speed of the game was upped.

Consider Jet Set Radio and JSRF. Same series, same genre, same mechanics yet they play differently. Sonic 4 will in no way be AS different from Sonic 1-3 as JSR and JSRF were, so I personally have no need to worry about Sonic 4 being closer in style to Sonic Advance or Rush.

Here's the awesome news: no grinding (that we know of), LARGER screen (no more handheld squinting), plot in the CLASSIC setting (Shadow and the new friends have no way of appearing). I'm :)

Edited by Doctor Eggman