Awoo.

Sonic RPG Demo #3 Completed!

Superstrider

Sonic_RPG_Demo_3_by_Superstrider.jpg

After 2 long years... Demo #3 of my RPG Maker 2003 fan game is complete!!! For those of you who don't know, I've been working on this for the past 5 years. This demo covers the story up to the end of Chapter #15. Here are the new features in this Demo:

Revamped Sprites

Status Disorders Clearly Defined

Mini-Games (Such as Blue Sphere)

Improved Dialogue (In later Chapters)

Instruction Manual Included

Here is the download link:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KK24VNLP

For those of you who have the previous version, you will have to delete it, and start over. Otherwise, there will be too many bugs that you will encounter.

One more thing, don't ask me how to install it. I suggest that you read the manual, since the instructions are included. This game runs on Windows.

Also, if the shortcut to the manual main page doesn't work for you, just open "manual.html" in the manual's root folder.

Tell me what you think!

Edit: A major bug with Demo 3 has been brought to my attention, therefore, I am releasing a patch that fixes it. Also, I have reuploaded Demo 3 and updated the link with the fixed version.

For the fixed RPG Demo:

For the Patch:

http://superstrider.webs.com/Patch.7z

If you already have downloaded the bugged Demo, just download the patch and apply it to fix it. To Patch the RPG, copy the map files to the folder where you originally installed the game. You must overwrite the old map files. That fixes it.

Also, most of the dungeon mazes have been simplified with this patch, as well.

Edited by Superstrider

I'm a few chapters in, and, uh...is everything a bland maze of one block wide hallways? It's getting really tedious.

And, although the characters are slowly gaining some unique moves, so far there hasn't been much to differentiate the characters. The only character with a really noticeable difference in stats is Cream, and it still doesn't make much of a difference, and everyone shares the same basic special moves...

The story's not doing anything for me, either...so far it's just the first few episodes of Sonic X with Sally for some reason.

I'm hoping it picks up eventually, because for being five years in the making, I was expecting a bit more...

Moving topic to the Miscella-- uhr, how's that spelled again? Ah, right! Miscellaneous Works section. (I so did not copy paste that.)

Good luck on your project. The picture looks nice. =)

If you wanted to make a decent RPG game you probably should have upgraded to RPG Maker XP several years ago, while essentially a HD RPG Maker 2K3 at first glance it actually allows you to add and edit the game's scripting allowing you to do whatever want with your game and no longer be bound to the incredible shitness that is RPG Maker 2003. There are loads of forums and websites out there which are constantly producing awesome new scripts for it which are free for anyone to use so you can quickly come up with some awesome gameplay ideas by mixing scripts together; people have recreated the entire Pokemon FRLG engine to near perfection, that's how unlimited RPG Maker XP is.

I know you've put 5 years of effort into it and it really pains me to say this but your RPG really needs to find a new platform if you want it to be anything other than a poor Final Fantasy 1 clone with Sonic characters, because you can't do alot else with RPG Maker 2K3.

I'm a few chapters in, and, uh...is everything a bland maze of one block wide hallways? It's getting really tedious.

And, although the characters are slowly gaining some unique moves, so far there hasn't been much to differentiate the characters. The only character with a really noticeable difference in stats is Cream, and it still doesn't make much of a difference, and everyone shares the same basic special moves...

The story's not doing anything for me, either...so far it's just the first few episodes of Sonic X with Sally for some reason.

I'm hoping it picks up eventually, because for being five years in the making, I was expecting a bit more...

Don't worry, it does. Though, I must point out that the dialogue in the early chapters is a little dry, due to my inexperience with story telling. However, in the later chapters, events become much more elaborate as my skill increased.

If you wanted to make a decent RPG game you probably should have upgraded to RPG Maker XP several years ago, while essentially a HD RPG Maker 2K3 at first glance it actually allows you to add and edit the game's scripting allowing you to do whatever want with your game and no longer be bound to the incredible shitness that is RPG Maker 2003. There are loads of forums and websites out there which are constantly producing awesome new scripts for it which are free for anyone to use so you can quickly come up with some awesome gameplay ideas by mixing scripts together; people have recreated the entire Pokemon FRLG engine to near perfection, that's how unlimited RPG Maker XP is.

I know you've put 5 years of effort into it and it really pains me to say this but your RPG really needs to find a new platform if you want it to be anything other than a poor Final Fantasy 1 clone with Sonic characters, because you can't do alot else with RPG Maker 2K3.

For your information, there are still numerous people who use RPG Maker 2003, and even 2000. Besides, when I began work on this, RPG Maker 2003 was the newest Version. (XP wasn't even out yet.) I'm aware that there are newer versions of RPG Maker, but if I want to update, I'd have to start over. Therefore, I'm sticking with this version.

Therefore, I'm sticking with this version

You're entitled to. The problem is, the bar's been set a lot higher now since the advent of XP, and if you're not willing to adapt, you need to be sure that the rest of the game is top-notch so it'll stand out. But you've spent 5 years already working that, so that shouldn't be a problem. It's just something to keep in mind. :)

The problem is - Even RM2k3 can look good. Your just not trying hard enough.

--> And if you've improved and gotten better, you need to go back to both fix, and improve your earlier "chapters" so that the entire game feels consistently "up to your current skill level."

Instead, you have a game that starts off looking like an amateur RM2k3 game with Sonic Sprites and barely meaningful Fanfiction thrown together into a jumbled mess without even a decent stat/battle system or Innovative gameplay... And Progress into something that just slowly tries to fix itself along the way.

Thats called being lazy. You don't spend 5 years and not cover your basics man...

Thats called being lazy. You don't spend 5 years and not cover your basics man...

I'm sorry you feel that way... But you must consider where I come from, as well. The reason it took so long between demos 2 and 3 is mainly due to college and other personal reasons. (Also, for quite a while, I was on medication.) Please understand... This project demands quite a bit of my limited free time.

However, I do see your point. Keep in mind, though, that this is not the completed game. In the final version, I plan to update all the old dialogue and tweek numerous other things. But to call me "lazy"? That's uncalled for, when you don't even play the whole thing through.

Besides, My laptop cannot handle the newest versions. I have Windows XP as my operating system. Also, the 16-bit Retro look is what I am going for.

Edited by Superstrider
  • Thumbs Up 1

Also, the 16-bit Retro look is what I am going for.
Yeah but there's a difference between 16-Bit Retro and 'use whatever sprites I can get hold of even if they clash', there are people out there who'll moan that you've mixed Battle and Advance sprites, let alone Battle, Advance, Genesis and default RPG Maker tiles.

I'm gonna sound like a complete twat for saying this but I mean it in a nice way. I really think you need to consider just how long people are going to be spending playing this game, it's one thing making a game that's 30 hours long but just how much of that do you expect people to play?

The only successful Sonic fan RPG ever made is Chaotix of Tomorrow, and even then it was only really popular as RPG Maker 2000 was a new thing back then. By today's standards I don't think anyone would really sit through the entire thing start to finish, especially when you take into consideration just how advanced Sonic fan games have become.

The real question is, who are you making this for? If you're making it purely for yourself then you can ignor this entire post but if you're making it for other people to play then perhaps a much shorter but much more enjoyable game is better than a long, dull game that is drawn out for the sake of telling a story.

I know you've said you've come too far to start again but I'd still recommend taking what you've learnt and starting from scratch using certain assets from the current version, otherwise I can't help but feel you'll end up spending many more years on what will ultimately just be 'a game that starts off looking like an amateur RM2k3 game with Sonic Sprites and barely meaningful Fanfiction thrown together into a jumbled mess without even a decent stat/battle system or Innovative gameplay... And Progress into something that just slowly tries to fix itself along the way.'

I know you've said you've come too far to start again but I'd still recommend taking what you've learnt and starting from scratch using certain assets from the current version, otherwise I can't help but feel you'll end up spending many more years on what will ultimately just be 'a game that starts off looking like an amateur RM2k3 game with Sonic Sprites and barely meaningful Fanfiction thrown together into a jumbled mess without even a decent stat/battle system or Innovative gameplay... And Progress into something that just slowly tries to fix itself along the way.'

As I pointed out in my previous post, my system cannot handle the newest versions. (2003 is the latest version that isn't glitchy on my computer. RPG Maker XP doesn't function properly, and VX only works on Vista and above.) Also, I know for a fact that I will not please everyone with my game. However, most of my friends in real life and online, actually had nothing bad to say about it.

I've also noticed that my original fan-base here no longer exists. Demo 2 was released at least 2 years ago, and RPG Maker XP was available at that time, if I'm correct. At that time, numerous members here on SSMB requested for me help them with RPG Maker 2003. I've seen many fan-games come and go here, but none ever progressed beyond tech demos and betas. It was a real shame for me to see, since a lot of those members actually showed great potential. Out of all of them, only I remained with pursuing the lofty goal of finishing a game. I'll admit that I still have a long way to go, but at least I have something to strive for. Also, very recently, I've had a few individuals approach me, asking for a copy of RPG Maker 2003 so they can start working on their own games. And yes, they are aware that newer versions are available. 2003 is not limited, and I've seen some incredible things done with it. Here is an example that pushes the limits of RPG Maker 2003.

As a retro gamer, I rather improve on traditional gameplay, an art-form that seems to be dying out in this day and age. Innovation, when done well, is quite impressive, and can redefine the genre. However, in my experience, innovation isn't pulled off quite right in most games. (The Sonic series is a testament to this.) Improvement is usually what most gaming companies usually utilize, (For example: Capcom) and that's what attracts me to most newer games. (Such as Tastunoko vs. Capcom, Left 4 Dead 2, The Legend of Zelda, etc.)

I'm sorry you feel that way... But you must consider where I come from, as well. The reason it took so long between demos 2 and 3 is mainly due to college and other personal reasons. (Also, for quite a while, I was on medication.) Please understand... This project demands quite a bit of my limited free time.

However, I do see your point. Keep in mind, though, that this is not the completed game. In the final version, I plan to update all the old dialogue and tweek numerous other things. But to call me "lazy"? That's uncalled for, when you don't even play the whole thing through.

Besides, My laptop cannot handle the newest versions. I have Windows XP as my operating system. Also, the 16-bit Retro look is what I am going for.

1. Everyones got a personal life, and IRL things that they have to deal with. - That Doesn't excuse the fact that you've spent what free time you DO have simply creating "add-ons" (new chapters) to a bad thing.

-> Nobody is going to wade through your old novice work just to get to your new chapters... You need to hook people from the start and keep them wanting to play. Inconsistancy in overall appeal of the game is your own doing, and a mistake - Caused only by your not wanting to go back and work on bringing the rest of your game "up to par".

2. It is being lazy - Name one person who would sit patiently for a new Demo to a game, find that nothings been fixed from the last Demo, and only ADDED to it, and NOT call the developer Lazy.

3. VX Sucks anyways, so you shouldn't worry about using the latest version... And not that I'm going to promote one over the other because I happen to be a fan of Rm2k3 MYSELF - But WinXP can run RmXP... I run WinXP SP3 and I can run Rm2k, Rm2k3 & RmXP just fine on my PC... and its pretty old.

The issue with RmXP is that yes, its stuffed FULL of everything and anything you could possibly need, and it doesn't have any limitations like VX does... HOWEVER, RmXP has a big learning curve, and its full potential is really only realized by someone who is comfortable, and skilled with both the RM system & Ruby Code.

As I pointed out in my previous post, my system cannot handle the newest versions. (2003 is the latest version that isn't glitchy on my computer. RPG Maker XP doesn't function properly, and VX only works on Vista and above.) Also, I know for a fact that I will not please everyone with my game. However, most of my friends in real life and online, actually had nothing bad to say about it.

I've also noticed that my original fan-base here no longer exists. Demo 2 was released at least 2 years ago, and RPG Maker XP was available at that time, if I'm correct. At that time, numerous members here on SSMB requested for me help them with RPG Maker 2003. I've seen many fan-games come and go here, but none ever progressed beyond tech demos and betas. It was a real shame for me to see, since a lot of those members actually showed great potential. Out of all of them, only I remained with pursuing the lofty goal of finishing a game. I'll admit that I still have a long way to go, but at least I have something to strive for. Also, very recently, I've had a few individuals approach me, asking for a copy of RPG Maker 2003 so they can start working on their own games. And yes, they are aware that newer versions are available. 2003 is not limited, and I've seen some incredible things done with it. Here is an example that pushes the limits of RPG Maker 2003.

As a retro gamer, I rather improve on traditional gameplay, an art-form that seems to be dying out in this day and age. Innovation, when done well, is quite impressive, and can redefine the genre. However, in my experience, innovation isn't pulled off quite right in most games. (The Sonic series is a testament to this.) Improvement is usually what most gaming companies usually utilize, (For example: Capcom) and that's what attracts me to most newer games. (Such as Tastunoko vs. Capcom, Left 4 Dead 2, The Legend of Zelda, etc.)

1. Thats just the thing though, their your friends... their not going to give you the solid facts about your game that you get when you release it to more than just a small group of people you have relationships with... You need people with a clean slate and some knowldge to be able to tell you what your doing good, and what your not, an dhow you can Improve.

2. As I said, I love Rm2k3 and use it about 95% over XP. Yes - you CAN create some amazing things with it... However - That particular NARUTO video... is Not. That particular video is a load of bad littered with Default RM backgrounds and lame. Which tells me your standards are not very high and I'm not to expect anything good from your games.

---> These, My Friend, are examples of Outstanding Creativity and Pushing the system to its Limits:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FATDT0TswRg

3. No I havn't played your game, I don't even have to to know its an amatur attempt at RPGMaker... I'm all for using ripped graphics - I do it myself...but, at least make them consistant in the game - and DON'T use the Default Tiles unless you know what your doing... PROFESSOR pointed that out and just from the mention, I know I don't WANT to play your Demo now.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've used RPG Maker 2003 for several years, and in some ways, I prefer it to XP and VX. As far as making a Sonic game in 2k3 goes, I don't know if the traditional battle system is the right way to go. I would have battles take place on the overworld map and give Sonic a spin dash and jump. You can still have all your RPG elements but the game would immediately have more of a Sonic feel to it.

If you head over to RPGMaker.net they have tons of tutorials and if you've been using 2k3 for five years you'll easily pick up how to track the location of Sonic and his enemies, how to deal with attacks and how to make an acceleration system.

I'll download your game now and I'll play it tomorrow. I'm a games design student, in my final year at art school, so I can give you educated feedback regarding your maps, pacing, gameplay, risk and reward systems, along with some general pointers. I like the sound of this project because a couple of years ago I was working on something very similar to this, I was even using Zach Zinn Fur's sprites.

I feel like I need to explain some things to you. The major complaints addressed here, in which you accuse me of being "lazy", these problems were never addressed in the previous versions. In fact, those who played had no problems with the dialogue, tile-sets, or sprites. Friends, as well as people on the internet whom I've never met (Most of which were part of SSMB), said the same things. The only two problems with the previous version that were posted on this forum are as follows:

1. The battle theme didn't fit quite right.

2. Sprites for status disorders were not clearly defined.

Both of these issues were fixed in the third demo. So, yes, I did do my work. You can't fault me for "being lazy."

I must ask you... How could I fix something that I didn't know was broken in the first place? That is the purpose of the demos. They are released to the public so that I can be informed on what needs to be changed in later versions.

Now, I'm aware that the thread with the previous version no longer exists, due to the SSMB hack back in 2008. Also, my information may be outdated, but you could have tried Demo #2 at anytime prior to this. The download link was in my signature, and had been since I've been a part of SSMB. If there was anything you guys thought I could improve upon, you could had PM'ed me. I am open to suggestions on how to improve this.

Another thing that you guys commented on is that it starts rather slow and gets good later on, but most RPGs out there follow this formula. For example:

Breath of Fire 2

Final Fantasy 8

Xenosaga

Xenogears

Persona 3 (Prime example)

Shin Magumi Tensei: Nocturne (Doesn't get good until near the end)

You can't fault me for not doing my research. I've played all these games, and I own copies of most of them. But if you have problems with the formula, it will be changed in the final version. Don't criticize my work without experiencing it first, since you have no right to. Play it, and then judge. That's all I'm saying. If you don't want to, you don't have to. I can take my work elsewhere where it WILL be appreciated.

Also, how many times do I have to SAY THIS?! RPG Maker XP doesn't run properly on my computer! That is why I'm stick with 2003, since I know it works.

1. They were never addressed probally because your local SSMB is the last place you should be looking for feedback on your game... You need to be submitting this and Promoting it for review on actual RPGMAKER forums so you can get EDUCATED Feedback - From people who WORK with the program on a regular basis.

--> And if you did THAT, then I can't falut you for not being able to get feedback. Personally, I've seen so many games of DEMO 02's calibur roll through the last 8 years I've given up on trying to help most new-commers because they USUALLY are set in their ways and don't want to go through the process of learning how to improve their games - simply because the simplicity and lack of effort it takes to just not care about quality.

2. I HAVE played DEMO 02, it was a while back, but I remember something along the lines of a clashing visual style with novice gameplay ideas, Fanfiction-esque Dialouge, and REDICLOUS Battles & Stat.s that made me feel like the game had no cohesion and actually made me want to stop playing.

3. (I) Never said your game "started slow and got good later on". I said your game started out BAD, and you just tagged new stuff onto the end of it that is of your current skill level.

--> STORIES that start out Slow and then grow to a steady, faster Pace are Good - But you need to keep your players ENTERTAINED enough to want to continue playing. Not bore them into quitting, Which is PERSONALLY essential for the rest of us who have both played and MADE our fair share of RPGMaker Games.

4. Hey, Relax - I've already said I'm a fan of RM2k3, I'm not demanding you run out and use it. And if it won't run on ur PC, oh well. RM2k3 is more fun to use anyways. (I love being confined to known limitations)

Tell ya what, I'll go download your new DEMO, and give you a 100% Constructive Review.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh jeez.

I played a bit further...and I really thought things were starting to pick up with that picnic chapter. It was still a bland retelling of an episode of Sonic X, but there was actual open space, for once.

But this. This goddamn hell cave you've thrown me into. This has gone beyond simply being bland and into the realm of mental torture. A maze of claustrophobic one-block-wide hallways that is, without exaggeration, 99% pointless dead ends that you can't even see until you've already walked down them, at which point all you can do is turn around and walk down the same hallway again, all while being attacked, with almost Zubat-level frequency, by the same three robots that are too weak to pose a threat but too strong to go down quickly, and for some reason you can never run unless you're lucky enough to ambush them.

I tried. I wanted to make it through to the end of the demo so I could give honest criticism on the whole thing. But I hit one dead end too many and it fucking broke me. Head in hands, muttering "I can't do this anymore, I just can't do this".

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm so sorry about this, but I just found it hilarious that in this game, the Grandfather from Sonic X looks exactly like Professor Oak from Pokemon:

loloak.png

On a serious note though, I'm also currently playing and will give my opinion when done!

PLAYTIME: 2 HOURS I'LL NEVER GET BACK.

NOTES

!!! = Note

*** = Actions

### = My Thoughts

(X) = Error Messages

!!!

Package your game into a single folder. - Nobody uses Installers for RPGMGs.

!!!

Manual Main Page = Shortcut to Non-Existent File Path. (Does Not Work)

***Accesses Manual by FINDING "manual.html" from Folder Structure.***

###

It's not an "Online Manual" if I had to download the contents to my PC just to view it. - That said, it's nice looking, and informative.

###

Your GFX Suggest you are using an old Un-Modded version of RM2k3 - That nobody uses anymore. (Which most likely accounts for the errors I have later on.)

!!!

In RM2K3, SPACE & ENTER do the same thing.

***Opens .lzh & Extracts to a Folder, then places in my RM2K3 PROJECTS directory to open***

!!!

I notice MP3s, and LOTS of Default Resources leftover in your project. These will all take up HUGE amounts of unnecessary space and you should have removed them from the project unless your using them.

TRICK - Compress your MP3's by Opening them in an Audio Editor and Increasing their SPEED 100% (Cutting Song Length in Half). Then In RM2K3, when referenced, Play the MP3 at HALF Speed. (Returning Sped-Up song to normal tempo)

TRICK - Rummage around a few RPGMAKER sites and look for a tool that can Index your project and Automatically REMOVE any files NOT REFERENCED in your game. (I will not link to it here)

###

I'm not sure why every character knows generic Elemental Magic Attacks...but ok.

?????? NOT A SINGLE COMMON EVENT!? HOW COULD YOU POSSIBLY HAVE MADE A GAME????? (Oh, We'll soon see. - He didn't)

GAME START

(X) "Not Implemented" - Game won't load from TITLE screen

***Disables Title & Adds DEBUG HEAL Into COMMON EVENTS, just incase***

###

Game Starts, No Intro, Map is a lifeless Grey Mesh. I have no idea whats going on.

###

Sonic gets a FACESET, but Tails doesn't? + Facesets are all Ugly and Pixlated.

!!!

BATTLE WIN Song has low Bitrate and sounds out of place.

(I'm already bored and Un-Motivated)

###

Mapping is just AWFUL, Cream is Hardly Visable under your wall of text-forced-into-a-message window-of-a-cutscene.

I'm just watching myself Mash SPACE to get through all your nonsense text.

-> And your Cutscenes (All of them) Are BORING AS HELL. - I'm playing a game, not reading a book. Animate something for crying out loud. Don't just pause the game and make me wade through a textbook sized lump of dialouge that sounds like it was written by a 10 year old.

END OF CHAPTER 1 - NOBODY IN THEIR RIGHT MIND SHOULD EVER HAVE TO FEEL SO UN-ENTERTAINED FROM A VIDEO GAME. THIS GAME IS GOING NOWHERE.

!!!

Text Issues, & the most Boring Dialouge EVAR...combined with the WORST Mapping I've ever seen. You don't even seem to understand how to USE the given tiles in these tilesets.

###

LOL - SONIC IS BIGGER THAN ALL THE HUMANS

***Skips past your endless Dialouge***

!!!

Default INN BGM (Oi Veh) - Your game is BORING me into Quitting.

***I enter a hell called "the place their keeping Cream"***

###

It sucks not to be able to RUN, thank god all I need to do to win EVERY battle in this game is just hit AUTO.

###

You share Items Sonic Picked up with other Characters? Ok, doesn't make alot of sense, but at least I have everything.

***I Pick up 7 Potions & 4 Antidotes***

!!!

Battles Require NO Skill, I'm dying of boredom and cursing your baddly mapped "Hallways Of Hell"

###

I've been attacking just 1 robot after freeing Cream - it's been 2 min and he STILL hasn't died yet.

LARGEST, MOST BORING BOSS BATTLE EVAR.

***Saves***

(X) Defeat Boss, walk back into the room Cream was in - and you can not leave.

***Restarts***

###

Battle music is AWFUL Quiet compared to the regular BGM...

ARGH - DO YOU EVER EVEN TEST YOUR OWN GAMES YOURSELF!?

***I stock up on 30 Potions with all my rings - Assuring me I'll never have to worry about taking damage ever again...until.***

(X) Guard Robot Fight "Not Implemented"

I give up, Theres no way past this point for me.

I checked the rest of your maps.

EVERY "Dungeon" Is mapped EXACTLY the same way. - BIGGER ROOMS, & More INSANE-TO-NAVIGATE HALLWAYS OF DOOM.

Every, Single, One.

And whats more, Your Maps each look like you spent all of 5min. Creating it. NO Effort At all.

AND AND! - You have HORRIBLY Clashing Tilesets. Some are Default RM2K3, Some are NES looking, some are SNES looking, Some are PSX looking. Others are MSPAINT Looking. Its a jumbled Mess.

I stand by My Original Statements.

-Nobody Should Play this Game until you FIX everything. If the first 15min. Don't do it... Your Hallways of DOOM will.

Edited by Huepow00
  • Thumbs Up 1

Having just completed the game, I have to say that it was decent, despite some parts being a little tedious.

There is one game-breaking bug that needs immediate fixing. This occurs in Testament's Shrine (child map of Shrine.) In the Auto-Start Event (Event ID 0003, Meet with Testament,) the Switch on the 2nd page is set to 0426: Switch to Amy. That is the incorrect switch, as it causes the Event to loop continuously. After some trial and error, I found that the Switch on the 2nd page should actually be 0419: The Shrine.

This game has potential that is, as of yet, unfilled. I'm glad that you eventually deviated from the Sonic X storyline, to be honest. I really hate to be harsh, but I think the game is in need of improvement, in several ways. Now, to be fair, I noticed a huge improvement in the last few chapters, so I hope you can keep it up.

I found that the dungeons were too long, and there weren't many events with the characters to break up the monotony and develop the story. The encounter rate was astronomical; literally every few steps I took resulted in a fight. I had to manually decrease the encounter rate so I wouldn't go insane! Might I suggest that you reduce the encounter rate, but increase the experience and rings given so that the characters aren't at too low a level.

I know you tried to include as many characters as possible, but in my opinion it was too many. It is not really possible to concentrate on a main plot when all the characters have a sub-plot, which stops when it--the sub-plot, I mean--begins to get a little interesting. This also prevented me from choosing a party to my liking the majority of the time. I understand why you forced certain characters into a party, since you needed the relevant character(s) for the Event, but that's why I think including so many characters was a mistake. It leaves very little freedom for the player. I don't think there should have been more than seven or eight characters.

If possible, try and get someone to assist you in designing the maps. At the moment, to be perfectly frank, it is quite bland, especially the dungeons. You may also want increase the amount of character interaction during those long dungeon crawls. Your story-telling has improved, so if you revise the earlier maps, you can probably improve the dialogue between the characters. You may want to reduce the amount of ellipses that you use though, because your use of it is often not grammatically correct.

On a side-note please, please, change the Ventilation System Map because I got so frustrated there, that I removed the enemies from the Map!

I'm really sorry that I have to be so harsh, because I don't want to discourage you from completing this game. I can see the effort you've put in and you get an A+ for that. If you revise your earlier maps and improve on the level design and character dialogue, then the game will improve immensely. The later chapters are much improved, especially in character dialogue, so if you continue along at this rate, we could be looking at a Super Emerald!

• 2 weeks later...

Having just completed the game, I have to say that it was decent, despite some parts being a little tedious.

There is one game-breaking bug that needs immediate fixing. This occurs in Testament's Shrine (child map of Shrine.) In the Auto-Start Event (Event ID 0003, Meet with Testament,) the Switch on the 2nd page is set to 0426: Switch to Amy. That is the incorrect switch, as it causes the Event to loop continuously. After some trial and error, I found that the Switch on the 2nd page should actually be 0419: The Shrine.

I did not know of that bug... Thank you for telling me. I'll release a patch that fixes that soon, as well as simplifies most of the early dungeon maps. I'll let you know once it's ready. (By the latest next week.)

Edit: I finished the patch this morning. Also, I have reuploaded Demo 3 and updated the link with the fixed version.

For the fixed RPG Demo:

For the Patch:

http://superstrider.webs.com/Patch.7z

If you already have downloaded the bugged Demo, just download the patch and apply it to fix it. To Patch the RPG, copy the map files to the folder where you originally installed the game. You must overwrite the old map files. That fixes it.

Also, most of the dungeon mazes have been simplified with this patch, as well.

Edited by Superstrider