Awoo.

The Next RROD???

Sega DogTagz

Apparently, us 360 owners have a new RROD to tremble in fear of. The horrific E74 error may just be on the rise.

Behold!!!

When we recently posted about the Xbox 360's E74 error and asked for your input, we weren't prepared for the staggering response we'd receive. Within a few hours, we had dozens of emails from readers like you who had experienced this particular hardware failure (typically caused, according to unofficial web reports, by a loose scaling chip). It was surprising to touch such a nerve, but what really knocked us for a loop was what we found when we started compiling the data sent to us.

We asked respondents for three bits of information: when they bought their systems, what models the systems are, and when the E74 error occurred. Before we drop the data on you, we should say up front that we're not statisticians. Our little study isn't perfect -- it wasn't controlled using scientific procedures. But in the absence of data from Microsoft (more on that in a bit), it's the basis for what we hope to be an important first report:

As we interpret the data, there's been a sharp increase in the E74 error since the New Xbox Experience was released in November of last year. The obvious conclusion is that the system is being taxed by NXE in such a way that it's more prone to E74. Alternately, a more sinister theory is making the rounds on forums that Microsoft has changed the diagnostics of the system to report the Red Ring of Death error as E74. This, however, seems unlikely as many in our poll are still reporting RROD failures post-NXE.

One oddity is that there is no correlation between the dates on which the systems in question were purchased and when they went belly up. The error usually occurred after anywhere from 12 to 36 months of use, with many of you claiming that trouble arose on consoles that have already been repaired for Red Ring of Death. Whatever modifications Microsoft has made to the console to improve its reliability in the past years seems to have no bearing on the likelihood of E74.

Further evidence for a recent E74 increase comes from our (again, unscientific) poll. Of those claiming to be have gotten the error, only 42 percent said that they had received it before the NXE update. To put that another way, 58 percent of the reported E74s have come in the last 12 percent of the console's life. [update: Engadget has put together a poll similar to ours, and of the more than 1600 people reporting E74 errors, 59 percent have received them since NXE launched.] Again, not scientific, but do a Twitter search for "E74" and you'll find five new reports of the error since yesterday.

So, why isolate the E74 error? While Red Ring of Death is covered under an extended three-year warranty, those who get the E74 later than 12 months and one day after their purchase are forced to pay more than $100 for a repair.

We reached out to Microsoft, asking what causes the E74 error, if it's been on an uptick, and why it's not covered when RROD is. Here's the official statement:

"E74 is a general hardware error on Xbox 360 indicated by a single red flashing light in the Xbox Ring of Light and an error message visible on the television. This error is unrelated to the three flashing red lights error and there is not a single root cause. We encourage anyone who receives this error to contact Xbox Customer support through www.xbox.com/support or 1-800-4-MY-XBOX. The majority of customers who own Xbox 360 consoles continue to have a terrific experience from their first day, and continue to, day in and day out."

Right, so, Microsoft is not really answering anything. We aren't asking unfair questions here, we're asking the things that those who own Xbox 360s (and those who might consider buying them or even Microsoft's next console) would want to know. The company seems to want to rebuild a relationship with hardware consumers after losing the trust of many with the RROD debacle, but not talking about something that's clearly a widespread problem seems like a terrible way to start. (Maybe Microsoft thinks that if RROD didn't hurt brand preference, neither will E74.)

Sorry, but Microsoft's current stance on E74 isn't good enough for us. We're not going to let this go until we find out why Microsoft lends a hand to some of those inconvenienced by an admittedly shoddy piece of technology, while others have to take a hit in their pocket books. You keep sending us your stories, and we'll keep pursuing the answers.

http://www.joystiq.com/2009/03/19/joystiq-...rise-since-nxe/

With all the holes in the 360 warrenty, it is completely possible that this one is gonna run us gamers 100 bucks to fix.

Seriously, how much of this stuff can the 360 take???

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sega DogTagz

• Strong Bad

• Badnik Mechanic

• Ming Ming Hatsune

Quite a worrying read... once one fucker goes down another comes right on up, it must be like Whack-An-Error over at Microsoft these days. I wonder if the Jasper and Valhalla chipset 360s are going to have problems with this?

And now... with one topic, my Xbox buying plan is pushed back another 6 months.

Was really hoping to get a Jasper model this summer, but I think I'll hold off until this gets sorted.

And now... with one topic, my Xbox buying plan is pushed back another 6 months.

Was really hoping to get a Jasper model this summer, but I think I'll hold off until this gets sorted.

I took the plunge last summer with a Falcon and haven't had any major problems (aside from occasionally the machine won't recognise that the disc in the tray is a game and not a DVD). If you can nab yourself a Jasper I would suggest you bite the bullet now because these errors will plague the system until its dying day. If you'd rather wait, get a Valhalla model when they come out. Either way you're going to be risking some kind of error.

Who's this.... "God," person you speak of in the topic description?

Not like PS3's are much more reliable anyway... and what is the point of not being able to play PS2 games? REALLY?

Well based on what been going on lately PS3 seems like the more logical choice. At least until this get sorted out.

Who's this.... "God," person you speak of in the topic description?

Sony :lol:

Honestly My 360 hasn't given me much trouble, but that might just be because I don't play it as much. My PS3 has been a workhorse lately and after buying an external fan, my Wii doesn't even so much as get hot.

LOL and guess what? My friend from school who owns a 360 has a E74 error! He said it was covered under warranty and he didn't have to pay nothing...guess I have to correct him now. =P

But wow...if any of you get a E74 error, that would really suck for you...you might as well buy a new 360 (except if you have Elite) instead of repairing the whole thing. D=

But I'm glad I have a PS3... <3 *Huggles it*

This is certainly another blow since the RROD problems the 360 has been plagued with. Let's hope things get sorted out before mass problems hit.

Well based on what been going on lately PS3 seems like the more logical choice. At least until this get sorted out.

The PS3 is not trouble free... but in terms of a major problem like the 360, it's yet to have any.

I say it's not trouble free because it can get some serious problems... but these are down to the opperator and the game developer as apposed to the actual unit itself.

For instance.

An copy of Fallout 3 without the patch would cause the game to freeze for 5 seconds when a friend came online/offline... this was not a PS3 issue, it was a dev issue. But a temporary fix pre patch was to disable notifications, which would make it a PS3 issue... yet it wasn't, if that makes sense? But since the patch this issue is now fixed.

With Hawx, the game tends to lock up or get stuck if you try to send a message via looking at a user profile as apposed to through the messenger system. Or it'll lock up if you attempt to view the PS menu during a loading mission/online game. But again, this is a dev issue.

There is only 1 kill bug that I am aware of, and again... it's an opperator problem.

If you switch off a PS3 via the button on the back as apposed to first putting it in standy, it can give the HD-Drive and some of the internal chips a major headache. However, since I switched off my PS2 via the stand by buttong then the switch... this was second nature to me. When there was a powercut, my PS3 experienced a power outage, but fortunately it didn't occur any problems. So I guess it's if you continually do it over and over.

But as for a problem that develops with the system over time? I can't say I've experienced any, nor do I know of one thats as severe as the 360. The only thing I can think of is that sometimes, and this is very very rare, it may freeze if it's been on for a very long time. (we're talking close to 10-12 hours+) but this is probably due to heating.

What about current Xbox 360 owners, does stuff like this make you ponder switching consoles? It puts me off buying one because I can't make the risk of spendng a small fortune on a console for it to break and then be out of pocket further still.

It seems to be vaguely common for the Bluray drive of the PS3 to break in some models; Roarey's PS3 had that happen a few weeks ago and it seemed to be a not-that-rare of a problem when we did some googling. Despite that, it's still not as insanely common as Red Ring which has become a legendary error status akin to BSOD.

Edited by Flint

I've had a 360 since 2006 and I've only gotten two RRoD's, which were fixed within a week thanks to Microsoft's decent customer support. I'd rather get a free new Xbox than be stuck with a broken Blu-ray drive. :P

I've had a 360 since 2006 and I've only gotten two RRoD's, which were fixed within a week thanks to Microsoft's decent customer support. I'd rather get a free new Xbox than be stuck with a broken Blu-ray drive. :P

You can get it fixed when you have a broken Blue Ray drive. They give you the box and you send it. You got RROD twice which shows the higher chances of getting it compared to a broken Blue Ray drive.

You can get it fixed when you have a broken Blue Ray drive. They give you the box and you send it.

We had a delivery guy to pick up the old PS3 and give us a new one.

We are witnessing the future of flaming... through Little Big Planet...

Anyway, we'd better get back on topic now.

Am I the only PS3 owner who cringed at that video?

I thought it was funny. Unnecessary, but funny.

someone make a LBP thread, theres a really cool video I want to post.. but I dont know enough about the game to make a thread.

Hmm.

Does anyone know if there is a "homeade" way to fix this new error yet?

I'd hate to have to cough up 100 bucks if my 360 bites the dust.

Am I the only PS3 owner who cringed at that video?

here is a pro 360 one :)

XD XD XD Sorry, I had to laugh at those....I must search for these levels when I play LBP later today! =D

And I'll stop now... (If anyone noticed by now...I'm sorta a Sony fangirl... ._.;;)

Edited by Spicylicious

You can get it fixed when you have a broken Blue Ray drive. They give you the box and you send it. You got RROD twice which shows the higher chances of getting it compared to a broken Blue Ray drive.

You're right, my experience with a console I've had for a year longer than most PS3 owners have alone show that every single 360 has a higher chance of breaking than every single PS3.

You're right, my experience with a console I've had for a year longer than most PS3 owners have alone show that every single 360 has a higher chance of breaking than every single PS3.

Well look at all of the complaints for RROD it is higher than a complaints for a broken blue ray drive. And getting it repaired isn't hard at all. I've had my PS3 for a long while and it never let me down.