Awoo.

The Next RROD???

Sega DogTagz

Well look at all of the complaints for RROD it is higher than a complaints for a broken blue ray drive. And getting it repaired isn't hard at all. I've had my PS3 for a long while and it never let me down.

I second that. There are MORE people who received RROD than people who has a broken bluray drive. I almost hear RRoD everywhere, because it's so common. It's like it's meant to happen. My PS3 is almost a year old and I have experienced no problems with it yet. It's how you take care of the console really.

Edited by Spicylicious

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sega DogTagz

• Strong Bad

• Badnik Mechanic

• Ming Ming Hatsune

Well look at all of the complaints for RROD it is higher than a complaints for a broken blue ray drive. And getting it repaired isn't hard at all. I've had my PS3 for a long while and it never let me down.

You do realize that that can partially be attributed to the fact that the PS3 has sold, like, half the amount as the 360 has?

also those quote pyramids are fucking annoying. :(

Hmm.

Does anyone know if there is a "homeade" way to fix this new error yet?

I'd hate to have to cough up 100 bucks if my 360 bites the dust.

If what the woman from Xbox said is right (which it probably isn't since she didn't give a firm answer as to what could/does cause the issue). then I don't think that there could be a single fix at this time as theres not a single root cause.

Since the error occured before the NXE upgrade, it can't be the upgrade alone thats causing the problem. However, if it's correct that it's been rapidly increasing since the upgrade, then that leaves one of three probable answers.

1: The NXE upgrade is unrelated and it's simply a console age issue, at this point it could be anything.

2: The NXE upgrade isn't primarity responsible... but is acting as a catalyst to the problerm.

3: It's something totally different, it could even be a previous system update thats now acting up.

If point 2 is correct. Which from what those sites are reporting is likely. Then chances are the tech dudes would need to look at what the NXE does/demands that it didn't previously and see if it's causing some components extra strain compared to pre NXE era. But unless theres a way to avoid using this upgrade (sine I'm not an Xbox 360 owner I don't know if thats an option or not) I would avoid it for the time being as it does look like it's causing the problem to appear at a rapid rate as apposed to a natural progression...

Then again... is this confined to just one model type? A specific batch/construction centre?

It's a bit hard to say right now as theres not any soid information as to what systems have this problem and what batches. So far the only thing that links them is that the NXE appears to increase the likelyhood of the error.

You do realize that that can partially be attributed to the fact that the PS3 has sold, like, half the amount as the 360 has?

Well the only reason for that is because the PS3 is expensive, therefore hardly anyone can afford it. The reason why 360's getting many sales because of the "Arcade" edition.

And besides, PS3 is the second most favorite used console in Japan behind the Wii.

Hmm well that could be but I am basing some of it to personal experiences. I do it based on friends in real life who have PS3's and 360's and people I know online who also own PS3's and 360's. RROD has became a common worry when owning a 360 and I am hoping they find a way to prevent it.

Edited by Shade737

Hmm well that could be but I am basing some of it to personal experiences. I do it based on friends in real life who have PS3's and 360's and people I know online who also own PS3's and 360's. RROD has became a common worry when owning a 360 and I am hoping they find a way to prevent it.

Well don't overheat the 360 (it easily gets overheated), be very careful on what you are downloading, be careful to turn off the console properly, make sure it's at a perfect environment, be careful not to drop the console... those are ways to prevent RRoD...

Edited by Spicylicious

Well don't overheat the 360 (it easily gets overheated), be very careful on what you are downloading, be careful to turn off the console properly, make sure it's at a perfect environment, be careful not to drop the console... those are ways to prevent RRoD...

Praying through the knees couldn’t hurt either. Its pretty apparent in the SSMB alone that RRoD is a severe problem for the console.

And yet thanks to the lack of coverage, this new one has potential to be even worse.

And yet thanks to the lack of coverage, this new one has potential to be even worse.

The old Red Ring of Death was actually featured one day on the BBC's Watchdog show.

It's basically a consumer complaints show, they do stories and investigate complaints from a whole range of services and products.

If only a tiny fraction of the people claiming to have this new error wrote into Watchdog with evidence of the error (such as a picture displaying it) and quote the cost to repair it.

I bet that it would be on within a week, as Watchdog love to show repeat offenders... and if that offender is Microsoft... HO HO! TV award ahoy!

Edited by Casanova

If only a tiny fraction of the people claiming to have this new error wrote into Watchdog with evidence of the error (such as a picture displaying it) and quote the cost to repair it.

Yeah, heh.

I could only imagine the unlucky guy in the world who gets his RRoD 360 fixed only to come across the E74.

All I know is if that happened to me, I'd have an axe to grind. Upon the skull of Bill Gates no less.

Adding in my 2 cents, I'd like to fucking know why Microsoft doesn't cover E74 under their extended warranty. It's not like I purposely caused my 360 to have a E74. So some other guy gets free service while I'm stuck asking my parents for $100 to fix the thing, six months into the second year since buying it. Why do they need to be so fucking secretive about it? I mean I'd like to know what I'm doing wrong to the poor system so I, you know, don't "purposely" break it again.

It's been working fine since then, aside from the disc reader deciding to die every now and then when trying to read perfectly clean discs.

Well the only reason for that is because the PS3 is expensive, therefore hardly anyone can afford it. The reason why 360's getting many sales because of the "Arcade" edition.

And besides, PS3 is the second most favorite used console in Japan behind the Wii.

Thank you, Captain Obvious... PS3 is overpriced and has bad marketing. We know.

Japan is the smallest (area) country that is currently industrialized. So.... congrats to Sony?

Oh man… this just happened to me a week ago.

I believe this error is indeed worse than the RROD since this one isn’t covered by a 3 years warranty yet, my XB360 was 2 years old when this occurred and I already had to pay more than 100 USD.

I'm wondering if all these hardware faults will make it harder to get people to buy the 360's successor.

I hope so, because MS has become progressively more and more irritating. I'm no fanboy, but MS has done a good job of pissing me off (Ads on the system menu? That the console defaults to!? seriously!?!?). Meanwhile, Sony has a little ticker in the corner of the screen, and Nintendo has an animated channel icon that advertises/alerts users to new stuff.

I'm wondering if all these hardware faults will make it harder to get people to buy the 360's successor.

I hope so, because MS has become progressively more and more irritating. I'm no fanboy, but MS has done a good job of pissing me off (Ads on the system menu? That the console defaults to!? seriously!?!?). Meanwhile, Sony has a little ticker in the corner of the screen, and Nintendo has an animated channel icon that advertises/alerts users to new stuff.

A few years ago Microsoft had a patent that had ad's in the middle of your Windows desktop, they got horrible feed back and never mentioned the idea again.

o_O oh frick. I know this is definitely making me regret going for 360 first... I've had RRoD 3 times (I'm on my fourth box) since 2007, and it shows no signs of stopping at all. The 'new' 360 I got back is just louder and vibrates(!) more than the previous box. I take care of it like it's my own child or something, and the fucking things STILL die on me.

My friend and I agreed we'd be buying the next Microsoft console, so that we can play online together right from the get go, but... all of MS's hardware has so many problems... I think I'm going to tell him to go for PS4, which I will too. Sure, it'll probably be $100 more, or something, but at least it won't (hopefully) be unreliable.

Everyone I know who's had an Xbox360, except for Thirteen, and Kojichan, have had the RROD problem at least once. Those two insist I'm just unlucky, and that their friends never had such a problem either, but seriously, just search for the 360's fail rate. xD; Search "RROD" on google, you'll see.

I really hope that they fix it once and for all though. What happens when the next generation comes out, or when the 360 is considered a "retro" console? You'll go back to relive old memories, then "omg wtf I haven't used it in so long, it got RROD D:".

-ahem-

So yeah. I hope that this new error is contained and eliminated asap... ._.;

My 360 gets Red Ring on occasion but I don't find it much of a problem because all I do is dismantle it and stick it in the oven. It's a temporary fix but I've not had RRoD since and I don't mind it too much.

However it's a shame because it is putting people off buying 360s and they are fantastic consoles, they just need to have better built casings etc.

My 360 gets Red Ring on occasion but I don't find it much of a problem because all I do is dismantle it and stick it in the oven. It's a temporary fix but I've not had RRoD since and I don't mind it too much.
That's... that's a little drastic don't you think? XD

It works though. XD Usually mine has a heat related problem so to reset the heatsyncs I apply more heat so they don't get so confused. Also since putting it into a new case I have not had RRoD since. <3

I've had my 360 for a year or someodd now, and through on-and-off use I haven't seen a "true" RROD yet. I'm being specific here, since I've experienced a three-red-lights problem that was power supply related and was fixed when I unplugged my PSU and plugged it back in. I'm expecting a true RROD any time now, though, regardless of type - be it E74 or three-red-lights.

Now my Dreamcast, on the other hand, what with being a superior system and all, has yet to experience any problems whatsoever after eleven (!) years of solid use. And I must say, I love my free online access with PSO V2 and my mouse and keyboard.

3.2GHz tri-core PowerPC? You have just met your match. Behold, the 200MHz SH-2.

I would like to bring to your attention that I might be quite serious about the above statements.

Edited by Darkhaven

I can't see myself experiencing any major errors with my 360 any time soon - I observed reports about the consoles for years waiting for a good time to buy one. No complaints with my November of 2007 model. ;)

I can't see myself experiencing any major errors with my 360 any time soon - I observed reports about the consoles for years waiting for a good time to buy one. No complaints with my November of 2007 model. ;)

Same with mine, and I bought mine almost 2 years ago as of about 2 weeks time. Preowned aswell. I've seen a power supply error once, but that was within about 4 months of use, I've seen nothing else since. Saying this means that it'll all happen to me now, It always seems to whenever I say that no errors affect my stuff. >_>;; XD

Edited by The DJ

I really hope that they fix it once and for all though. What happens when the next generation comes out, or when the 360 is considered a "retro" console? You'll go back to relive old memories, then "omg wtf I haven't used it in so long, it got RROD D:".

http://www.2pstart.com/2009/02/04/in-a-fragile-state/

I've heard numerous claims as to why the 360 RROD's, from the cheap PCB expanding when it heats up causing the board to get a curve in it (screwing up the sodder joints between the GPU and the mother board) all the way up to claims that the case is torquing the motherboard.

These guys claim to have permanent fix for the 360's RROD problems

Thank you, Captain Obvious... PS3 is overpriced and has bad marketing. We know.

Japan is the smallest (area) country that is currently industrialized. So.... congrats to Sony?

It may have, but that doesn't mean the PS3 isn't a bad console. =/ Everyone wants a PS3 unless they are die hard Xbox fans and will always stick to Xbox products no matter what.

Edited by Spicylicious

It may have, but that doesn't mean the PS3 isn't a bad console. =/ Everyone wants a PS3 unless they are die hard Xbox fans and will always stick to Xbox products no matter what.

We may be in a minority, but both my friend and I who have never owned an Xbox/Xbox 360 would favor it over a PS3, even if we don't have to consider the price issues (e.g., parents pay).