Awoo.

First Sonic 4 Boss Pic, Fanbase in Disbelief; Obama Demands Change

Agent York

I wanna believe ya. But I'm looking at so much shit recycled from the old games.

IF this boss is the only classic-rehashed boss, and it does have a unique gimmick, I'll enjoy every second that I'm eating my words.

Well as Tweaker has said, apparently there is a chase sequence to the boss fight. Whenever that means Sonic chasing Eggman or Eggman chasing Sonic with a giant ball is yet to be determined though.

Well as Tweaker has said, apparently there is a chase sequence to the boss fight. Whenever that means Sonic chasing Eggman or Eggman chasing Sonic with a giant ball is yet to be determined though.

Seeing as they're only 17 second on the clock in the screenshot, it's probably on "Hey look it's Eggman floating away, chase him!" then you follow him into the screen with the two floating platforms.

Well, I really don't mind that the first boss is a re-hash of the original Sonic boss, but I will agree that if the rest of the bosses are re-hashes as well, then I'll be a bit disappointed too.

As far as the pictures go, I really don't know what to say. It does look like a high ended Photoshop work with a high watercolor filter on it.

You know, this boss is actually reminding me of the final boss of New Super Mario Bros Wii.

The boss starts out with the old school styled "Mario vs Bowser fighting on a bridge over lava" battle that everyone remembers, just like this battle apparently has the old school stlyed "Sonic vs Eggman fighting with a giant wrecking ball" battle that everyone remembers. Then in NSMBW, after you beat the battle the way you normally would, Bowser suddenly grows giant and begins a chase scene. And from what Tweaker is saying, this boss is also gonna have chase segment. Even though the chase scene apparently takes place before the battle instead of after, I think you get the point.

Although instead of being the final boss, it's the first boss. :P

Some things look off, but other things look on. Then again, it could be fixed, it maybe would not be. It all is in (endless) possibilities, but we're going to have to see what comes from this.

Though I still stick by "Never judge a game like this from still screens". It's true, 2.5D does not work in screens most of the time.

Edited by Dusk the Biohazard Keeper

What the hell is that black speck?

A dead pixel

A zit.

The fact that it's called Fake sonic 4 in the filename makes me think you put it there.

Something so small I won't ever notice or care about...

Probably one of those.

• Thumbs Up 1

"The fact that it's called Fake sonic 4 in the filename makes me think you put it there."

It's actually on the image. If you have Opera, zoom in to 900%.

Edit: What the hell is wrong with the quoting?!

Edited by Stasis

Hey, I don't care about reusing. Hell, a Sonic 2.1 or Sonic 1.2 is fine with me. It plays well, and they could throw in Elise for all I give a damn. (lolnonotreallybutyougetmypoint)

Also, they ARE working on the game still, because it looks to me like Sonic's standing pose has changed, or he has one for being calm. But it could be in more final stages, I don't think physics are much in the realm of "hard to change last minute" but it DID look like levels were completed, at least.

The images look pretty good; granted, they're a bit garbled because they've been blown up so much but I think the game from a visual standpoint is coming together nicely.

Also $5 for one episode is not a bad deal, if the game is good that is.

Well, this is quite unfortunate. It was bad enough some badniks were recycled, but the first boss?

It's, uh, called a homage.

• Thumbs Up 1

Cell-shading on the Eggmobile certainly is love. Loved to see it cell-shaded in Sonic Shuffle, loved to see it cell-shaded in the Sonic Rush series, and I love to see it cell-shaded now.

By the way, this isn't a direct cut-and-paste of the original Green Hill boss - it's been given a complete overhaul since its last appearance.

eggmobile.jpg

Classic and modern Eggman take up the essential fourth square of this beautiful mosaic...

Take note of the striped arrow's conversion into a striped line, addition of stripes on the wings, greatly increased size of chair, and addition of a visible connection between chain and ball.

...I miss that arrow. ;_;

Edited by HunterTSF
  • Thumbs Up 1

It's, uh, called a homage.

No, an homage is when a variation of the boss makes a brief and unexpected cameo, like the Spinning Egg did in Sky Sanctuary in Sonic 3 and Knuckles when Metal Sonic piloted it, or when it appeared in Sonic Advance's boss rush.

When it appears exactly the same way as it did originally in a level that looks almost identical to the original with badniks that were ripped from the original, it's a rehash.

...or at least it LOOKS like one. But I'm still hopeful that there's gonna be a good ol' twist, and this is the only "clone" we'll see.... for the most part. PLEASE don't prove me wrong on this, Sonic Team :(

• Thumbs Up 2

I actually like the cel-shaded Egg-o-matic. It has a lot more detail to it than it's old look, and is more "techy" in appearance instead of the more shell and chair look of the old one.

Likewise, I love the cell shading on the Boss, the detail that went into the chain links and the shading for the ball is so beautiful and lush.

The Eggmobile (Which is its name, and not the Egg-O-Matic) looks fantastic, and I for one am looking forward to seeing it in other forms throughout the game. It's a very nice spin on the classic Sonic 1 design; Can't get tired of that.

I do, however, hope that this is a creative twist on the first boss and not merely the first battle with better graphics. I'm expecting a hidden surprise from our dastardly doctor here.

• Thumbs Up 1

On a more lighter note, how fucking good does the Egg-O-Matic hovercraft look cel shaded?

It looks like ass. The terribleness of the Egg-O-Matic was my main reason for doubting the legitimacy of this pic at first; it looks like a paper model some talentless cartoonist has animated in flash. :\

Do we need reminding that other Sonic games have reused boss' before... did anyone complain back then?

Yes.

You can just about get away with it in Sky Sanctuary because [a] that wasn't the REAL boss, just an aside, and that wasn't the zillionth time they've pulled the whole-cloth-rehash gimmick. In the Advance series, they weren't the main boss either, and it still felt disappointing and stale.

Last time I checked, "sequal" did not mean "best-of compilation". And yet the gratuitous absence of originality in levels, badniks, or bosses indicates that Sonic Team think that's exactly what it means.

It should also not escape your notice that this revelation implies that Endri wasn't pulling an elaborate troll, and his account is basicly correct. Y'know, about this being a final build that's a hold-right-fest with Rush physics and a broken jump.

*sigh* *sigh* *cycle*

Edited by Frozen Nitrogen
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Bad Quality Post 1

It looks like ass. The terribleness of the Egg-O-Matic was my main reason for doubting the legitimacy of this pic at first; it looks like a paper model some talentless cartoonist has animated in flash. :\

I agree. The character/enemy models look odd; at least at that 1920x1080 resolution. But someone said that the screens were blown up so I hope that's true.

Edited by Light