Awoo.

Silver the Hedgehog

Dragosaur

What if SEGA created a spin-off of Silver the Hedgehog? The last time we saw Silver was in the newer Sonic the Hedgehog, and he still wasn't introduced very clearly as far as I see. What would you want the game to be like? Gameplay, storyline, playable characters, game modes, bosses, control scheme, customizable options? Let your imagination flow.

His speed wasn't that great in Sonic 06, so that's something they may improve on. Also, maybe throw in some boss battle minigames, similar to what you'd see in the God of War series. Press A, cool destructive cutscene, press X, cool destructive cutscene, something like that. Without all the gore, obviously. Just some cool sky blue nonsense going on that thrashes the enemy.

Something I think would be cool to throw into a Silver game is a... um, I guess you'd call it an Energy Meter. When Silver fights one of the more major bosses, he starts the battle only being able to use basic attacks. But as the battle goes on and Silver does more damage to his opponent, his telekinetic energy builds and he can use more powerful attacks. [similar to the more recent Naruto games, FOR EX. when you play as Naruto, you fight your opponent and do damage and eventually you are awarded more powerful jutsus, like Rasengan.]

But yeah, what would you want in Silver the Hedgehog?

I don't think Silver is popular enough for his own game, but lots of platforming and telekinetic puzzles would be damn awesome. He'd have to have a physical attack or two maybe imo. I do like Silver though, he's sweet.

Also QTEs are pretty meh, no interaction whatsoever really except DUH HUR PRESS X NOT TO DIE!

I'm not really a big fan of Silver, but I've thought about him being playable again...I think it'd be interesting to put him in a Wii game and control his telekinesis with the pointer as you platform with the rest of the controller. One of the good things about the Wiimote is that (in my experience, at least) it's easier to split your attention between two different things (Silver and whatever he's holding, in this case), since pointing is so natural and direct.

• Thumbs Up 3

I would not like to see Silver get his own game. The quality of the Sonic franchise is way too low right now to be doing any more experiments with characters other than the main star of the franchise. What I believe Sega should do right now is focus on getting Sonic done right and try building on the other characters later, and I'm quite happy to see Sega doing this by working on Sonic the Hedgehog 4.

Though back on the subject of Silver, I wouldn't like the idea of him getting his own game because he's fast, plays nothing like Sonic (unless you look at Sonic Rivals, but everyone plays like Sonic in that game so it doesn't really count), and didn't really have a good reputation given by the Sonic fanbase. Just look at Shadow, he had all these features that Silver was missing, was given his own game and people still weren't happy about it.

However, if such a spin-off of Silver were ever to occur, what I would rather see instead of a game based off of Silver, is a game based off of Silver time(based on Sonic 06 and Rivals). In Sonic 06 we saw Blaze in Silver's world along with Shadow and Omega in suspended animation. And in Rivals, we see Eggman Nega in Silver's world. If Sega were to make a decent Adventure styled game staring Silver, Shadow, Blaze, Omega, (and maybe even another female character to even out the boy-to-girl ratio), in their fight against Eggman Nega in Silver's future, I think that would be pretty interresting.

Maybe his telekenesis could be done sort of like the force in "The Force Unleashed"? That would be pretty fun..

Honestly, I'd go for something like 06 with more in depth puzzles, more control over the PK, and of course all the bugs worked out. Also Super Silver not sucking.

Of course, being a Silver game, I Day 1 it regardless. HINT HINT SEGA :|

For the story-They obviusly need to retcon him...Wait would it still be called retconing if the character had next to no plot to begin with? Oh well, and maby pair him with someone for him to better emote with like they did in '06. speaking of which, if they were to do a plot similar to '06 then they should fucus more on Silver strugling with the idea of the weight of the world and have him question all the choices and think about the causes and if he's realy doing the right thing, because those moments were the best Silver moments ever.

For the gamplay-Well I agree with Diogenes for the whole Wii pointer type puzzles. I also don't think we should realy speed Silver up, it would probobly make puzzles a bit more difficult, and in my opinoin he worked better as a slow character anyways.

I really doubt a Silver game is plausible. He's not popular enough and not too many people like him. I never played Sonic 06, so I have no idea what Silver is like. However, I did play as him in the new Mario & Sonic Olympics game. I really don't want to see him in a game. It just may turn out to be another Shadow the Hedgehog with critics and fans.

As much as I'd like to see a Silver game, he's just not that popular with people.

If a game were to be made, then I think a puzzle game in the vain of the portable Klonoa titles might work out. You use his powers to solve puzzles to help you get to another room, and then at the end of a world (or level) you would fight a boss.

I just don't think a pure platform title would be good for Silver.

• Thumbs Up 1

Him getting his own game is a really implausible stretch and is asking too much from an already not so popular character.

But in terms of gameplay alone, It'd be better to stick to heavy platforming and use of his telekinesis as the basis for how he interacts with most of his environment. Make use of clever and challenging uses for his powers, like pulling out blocks to make platforms, manipulating objects to make your own platforms and stuff.

Though to keep with the general pace of a Sonic game, it'd be wise to stick to using his telekinesis to mainly throw objects at enemies rather than chocking levels with slow puzzles to keep the gameplay active. A good idea would be to use the physics of objects around him and downhill slopes to pick up speed and slide through enemies. Being able to use his abilities fast and easily is essential to making Silver fun, active, and fast despite his slow movement.

Gameplay-wise, a Silver standalone title could be promising. I agree with the sentiment that it would work best on the Wii; motion controls could allow for quite a bit of freedom with the psychic powers while still allowing for some of the structure of a traditional Sonic title. I'm not sure exactly how such a game would work, but there's definitely potential. As long as people were aware going in that it wasn't supposed to be a normal Sonic game, I can imagine it turning out quite well.

...that said, I also have to concur with a lot of the people in this thread that Silver as a character just isn't capable of supporting such a game. His debut title's awfulness has cursed him, in a way. He's not especially well thought of among the fans, he's not exactly a major character anyway, and his backstory is so confusing and contradictory that a title based solely on him... well, it could go a long way toward cleaning things up, but it could just as easily add to the mess. I don't mind Silver myself, but I'd much rather see a spinoff based on Eggman, Tails or even the Chaotix.

Edited by Octarine

Honestly, I'd go for something like 06 with more in depth puzzles, more control over the PK, and of course all the bugs worked out. Also Super Silver not sucking.

Of course, being a Silver game, I Day 1 it regardless. HINT HINT SEGA :|

As long as there are no things like shooting the balls into holes like in the desert level >_>. That was just boring and made no sense. Why couldn't I pick them up?!

As long as there are no things like shooting the balls into holes like in the desert level >_>. That was just boring and made no sense. Why couldn't I pick them up?!

You should look up the Dusty Desert Ball glitch on youtube. You can skip that whole section!

Every once and a while, I really do "miss" playing as Silver (as I knew I would as soon as I finished 06). His psy powers really throw a unique wrinkle into the Sonic formula. Creating a game around them would definably put the devs in a situation where they would have to think outside the box, which is something I welcome. I don't think Sonic Team has really had the chance to develop an entirely original concept idea from the ground up since the Dreamcast days, which is when I think they did their best work.

That being said, some stuff will have to change. They actually made the right choice to make the hedgehog a bit on the slow side, but that can be improved if Silver could gain the ability to better manipulate himself through the environment. Certainly not to the extent of pulling a Neo like he can do in CG, that would break the game, but giving him a slingshot function could speed him up and increase momentum based puzzles. On top of that, loosening up his abilities a bit to give the player more control would be a good idea too.

Silver's popularity is shifty, but it is quite apparent that both he and Blaze are around to stay, so I wont hold something so fickle against him. Instead of a game however, a DL tittle could be a good option (since Sonic Team is exploring that now) or even a Tech Demo for the PS Wand or Natal (anything to boost my non-existent hype for peripherals I don't need).

That being said. I think some heads would explode if Silver picks up a game before the likes of Tails, Knux or even Blaze in some cases. So, I'll reserve the "good idea" tag off of a Silver game until the characters ahead of him get to shine a bit more.

Edited by Sega DogTagz

I've never played Sonic 06, but from the videos I've seen, I kinda like Silver. I could see his game Wii game as Diogenes said, what with his telekinesis and lifting objects. However, I don't think silver is popular enough to have his own series (I've actually seen alot of Silver haters in fact, but that may be just a different part of the internet I'm exploring...)

In conclusion, a Silver game would be cool, but It's probably never going to happen. I can dream though...

His speed wasn't that great in Sonic 06, so that's something they may improve on. Also, maybe throw in some boss battle minigames, similar to what you'd see in the God of War series. Press A, cool destructive cutscene, press X, cool destructive cutscene, something like that. Without all the gore, obviously. Just some cool sky blue nonsense going on that thrashes the enemy.

There were more problems than just his Speed in 06, like the wonky use of physics and frustrating game design of such things objects getting stuck on silver, and the lack of precise aiming. I'm sorry to disappoint, but the werehog seems to be the closest Sonic Series has gotten to GoW style of game play, and well, I guess the reception of it explains itself, even though I had some fun with it.

I don't really hate Silver, but I can't get rid of the idea that he is "Trunks the hedgehog," to be fair though, I didn't like the way most of the characters were treated/developed during Heroes to 06. If he was in another main game, I'd hope he'd be developed better/have better gameplay. I also agree that he isn't really popular enough to warrant a main series quality of game.

If any of you want to try a fun...uh, "ds-like platformer," I suggest to any of you to try this Silver fan game: http://www.yoyogames...worlds-collide#

Edited by Derg

Silver was a great innovation in Sonic the Hedgehog and a great addition as a character, really interesting... but his own game?

Fix him first, please. <_<

No thanks. Even though I like Silver, I don't think he needs his own game, because chances are, it will probably end up like Shadow the Hedgehog (the game).

Silver's character needs to be developed further, rather than just a psychic hedgehog from a ruined future. Give him a bit more personality and more depth, I'd actually like to see a back story of how Silver and Blaze met as well. I would want all that developed first before even the concept of having his own game comes to fruition. Gameplay wise, his Sonic '06 gameplay could work (with obviously tighter controls), the Wii motion functionality could work well with it too.

But on the other side of the coin, I think/hope Sonic Team learned their lesson from Shadow the Hedgehog. What I mean is, having games focused on secondary Sonic characters will always be looked down upon, and there will be concepts people are bound to not like from the get go (Shadow's guns/vehicles to show an example). Sonic is the main focus of this series, and he always should be.

Edited by Spyne

But on the other side of the coin, I think/hope Sonic Team learned their lesson from Shadow the Hedgehog.

The problem with Shadow's game wasn't that it wasn't focusing on Sonic. It was that it was almost as much of a broken pile of slag as 06 was.

The problem with Shadow's game wasn't that it wasn't focusing on Sonic. It was that it was almost as much of a broken pile of slag as 06 was.

Moreso. I've completed Sonic the Hedgehog on PlayStation3 to 100%.

Shadow the Hedgehog, meanwhile...?

Played it for an hour or so, took it straight back to HMV, said "Unwanted present," and got a refund. <_<

But on the other side of the coin, I think/hope Sonic Team learned their lesson from Shadow the Hedgehog. What I mean is, having games focused on secondary Sonic characters will always be looked down upon, and there will be concepts people are bound to not like from the get go (Shadow's guns/vehicles to show an example). Sonic is the main focus of this series, and he always should be.

Actually, it doesn't work that way.

First off, the problem you should realize with Shadow the Hedgehog is that it had more to do with the gameplay being the problem, not the character. Had any of the concepts and mechanics actually been fully fleshed, or used appropriately instead of in the mess they were, the game wouldn't be looked at the way it is now. If it were Sonic instead of Shadow in the current state of that game, no doubt it would be treated the exact same way as would with Shadow in it. Again, it's not the character.

Second, no matter how much anyone may not like all the choices they make, it is Sonic Team who determines who's the focus of a particular game. Sonic's the main star of the series, yes, but that does not in any way mean that other characters are not allowed to have a chance at being the star focus. If they wanted Big the Cat to be the star of the next game, then he's going to be the star of the game. No one outside of the folks making the game have that much of a say on who should be the focus other than declaring that they're not going to play the game.

These are things people need to pay attention to, otherwise it ends up putting blame in all the wrong places and in some cases ends up with something worse afterwards.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

Actually, it doesn't work that way.

First off, the problem you should realize with Shadow the Hedgehog is that it had more to do with the gameplay being the problem, not the character. Had any of the concepts and mechanics actually been fully fleshed, or used appropriately instead of in the mess they were, the game wouldn't be looked at the way it is now. If it were Sonic instead of Shadow in the current state of that game, no doubt it would be treated the exact same way as would with Shadow in it. Again, it's not the character.

Second, no matter how much anyone may not like all the choices they make, it is Sonic Team who determines who's the focus of a particular game. Sonic's the main star of the series, yes, but that does not in any way mean that other characters are not allowed to have a chance at being the star focus. If they wanted Big the Cat to be the star of the next game, then he's going to be the star of the game. No one outside of the folks making the game have that much of a say on who should be the focus other than declaring that they're not going to play the game.

These are things people need to pay attention to, otherwise it ends up putting blame in all the wrong places and in some cases ends up with something worse afterwards.

You do put up a valid argument, I stand corrected. Really the most important aspect of any game is for the gameplay to be fun, or else nobody will give a damn about it. Shadow the Hedgehog could of been fun if done properly, it's just a shame it turned out the way it did. But I will admit there were aspects of the game I did enjoy. I think we know by now that Sonic Team's known for experimenting a lot. :lol:

Edited by Spyne

About Silver's potential as a character, i'll just say again what i once devoted an entire topic to; a great deal of Silver's personality went out the window when it was decided (as far as we know so far, anyway) that Silver's friendship with Blaze didn't exist anymore. Silver's emotional reliance on Blaze was by far the aspect of his personality that i found the most original and interesting. Not often do you find a powerfull male character with that kind of relationship with a female character (one who isn't even any older than him at that). Granted, it didn't really shine through that often even in Sonic 06, but i still felt that it had potential to be developed further in later games.

I wouldn't be against another game focusing on a side character in the future. For now? Eh, I'd say stick with the main series until you've got Sonic's rep fixed.

Silver, honestly, is one of my least favorite characters in the Sonic series (if not my least favorite). He's silly looking, is kind of flat, has nothing much to back him up, and just seems like a character made to play off Shadow's fame. But he doesn't have to be that way.

IF Silver makes it into any main series games/has his own game, then I'd like for him to be developed more. What is he in the future? Is he a "police" or "gaurdian" that protects the planet via time travel? Or is he just some kid with a time machine and heroic morals? Who are his friends, enemies, and family members in the future? How did (or have)he meet Blaze? What's their relationship like? Will we ever know the truth behind the Rivals-Rush paradox? Tune in next week for the next episode of Sonic X!

He has so much potential, and I hope they'll reach into that when/if he's brought back for good.

EDIT: I changed a sentence a bit, because I think it was misleading. I meant to say Silver is one of my least favorite characters, that or my least favorite character in general (not the fandom's least favorite).

Edited by BlazingTales