Awoo.

Silver the Hedgehog

Dragosaur

Actually, it doesn't work that way.

First off, the problem you should realize with Shadow the Hedgehog is that it had more to do with the gameplay being the problem, not the character. Had any of the concepts and mechanics actually been fully fleshed, or used appropriately instead of in the mess they were, the game wouldn't be looked at the way it is now. If it were Sonic instead of Shadow in the current state of that game, no doubt it would be treated the exact same way as would with Shadow in it. Again, it's not the character.

Hmm. One could debate that. While it would be the quality of the game itself that dictates how good or bad the title will pan out to be, the character does play a large role in what we take away from it. A really good example of this is the Werehog. Alot of people went into Unleashed with closed minds, waiting to be disappointed just because they didn't like the character idea. Change out the Blue Furball and switch in Knuclehead and I think we would likely be seeing a different reaction toward the night sections of Unleashed. Even if the gameplay were to remain the same. Sure fleshing out the ideas properly is the one of the most important steps, but at some point I have to actually want to play as the character. When your starting out on a project (which is were a Silver game would find itself atm), the character might be more important than the concept itself.

Silver enters the equation lacking the popularity Shadow once (and still does to an extent) had. This bodes poorly for him because if he were to get a game, his reception would have to fight an uphill battle from the negative side of the spectrum. It is not an enviable position.

don't know where this "most hated character" status comes from either. Silver's got some fans, and there are quite a few characters I would throw under the bus before him *cough*CharmyBigOmochao*hack*wheeze*

I don't personally feel that there is anything majorly wrong with Silver himself, even the game he debuted in wound up all glitchy because it was rushed. Granted, he suffers from backstory problems due to his connections to Blaze and Nega, but he offers a unique skill set and personality to the series, so, in my book at least, he's worth hanging around.

Plus he gives Espio something else to do besides detective work.

don't know where this "most hated character" status comes from either. Silver's got some fans, and there are quite a few characters I would throw under the bus before him *cough*CharmyBigOmochao*hack*wheeze*

Absolutely in agreement!

I actually found Silver broke new ground with respect to the Sonic series. His gameplay was fresh and original, although not without some serious glitches. But I appreciated the diversity and attempt, and stuck with him (even through that abysmal Dusty Desert ball-rolling final challenge, which took me twenty-freakin'-minutes).

And hey, telekenetic hedgehog? What's not to love?!

Hmm. One could debate that. While it would be the quality of the game itself that dictates how good or bad the title will pan out to be, the character does play a large role in what we take away from it. A really good example of this is the Werehog. Alot of people went into Unleashed with closed minds, waiting to be disappointed just because they didn't like the character idea. Change out the Blue Furball and switch in Knuclehead and I think we would likely be seeing a different reaction toward the night sections of Unleashed. Even if the gameplay were to remain the same. Sure fleshing out the ideas properly is the one of the most important steps, but at some point I have to actually want to play as the character. When your starting out on a project (which is were a Silver game would find itself atm), the character might be more important than the concept itself.

True, but I'd argue that all of that lies within personal tastes instead of being a flaw of the game.

Given how there are many people in this fanbase who are flip-flops when it comes to the ideas they want, I don't think simply replacing the Werehog with Knuckles would make anything better if he still played the exact same way in regards to the platforming. There are those who would think of it differently simply because it's Knuckles, but it would be one of those things "we never asked for" if it wasn't any better.

Also, quality kinda relates to the character as well. The better quality of the game is likely to have a better quality character, and vice versa for a bad one. Although it doesn't exactly play out that way, I know.

But the game itself can carry most of the weight even if the character itself isn't seen in the same light, if the quality is good. On the otherhand, it doesn't matter how good the quality the character has, it doesn't mean much of anything if the game itself is bad and you're certainly not likely to carry on with the game if that's the case.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonic

o

About Silver's potential as a character, i'll just say again what i once devoted an entire topic to; a great deal of Silver's personality went out the window when it was decided (as far as we know so far, anyway) that Silver's friendship with Blaze didn't exist anymore. Silver's emotional reliance on Blaze was by far the aspect of his personality that i found the most original and interesting. Not often do you find a powerful male character with that kind of relationship with a female character (one who isn't even any older than him at that). Granted, it didn't really shine through that often even in Sonic 06, but i still felt that it had potential to be developed further in later games.

Definitely, it's not being some kind of fan shipper that i say that, but Sonic has the support of a large group, shadow's somewhat alone, and Silver has the emotional support of one person, who is a really close friend. It was different. Sorta a less used architype. Edited by Mr. Needlemark

True, but I'd argue that all of that lies within personal tastes instead of being a flaw of the game.

Given how there are many people in this fanbase who are flip-flops when it comes to the ideas they want, I don't think simply replacing the Werehog with Knuckles would make anything better if he still played the exact same way in regards to the platforming. There are those who would think of it differently simply because it's Knuckles, but it would be one of those things "we never asked for" if it wasn't any better.

Also, quality kinda relates to the character as well. The better quality of the game is likely to have a better quality character, and vice versa for a bad one. Although it doesn't exactly play out that way, I know.

But the game itself can carry most of the weight even if the character itself isn't seen in the same light, if the quality is good. On the otherhand, it doesn't matter how good the quality the character has, it doesn't mean much of anything if the game itself is bad and you're certainly not likely to carry on with the game if that's the case.

Also true, but when we look at personal tastes we need to throw in the concept of universal appeal in as well.

Shadow, was a bad-a$$ Black and Red Sonic knock-off, meaning that basically everyone would drool over him if he was handled correctly. Silver is a new gameplay style with a radical look and a polarizing "needy-ness". It was predetermined that a significant number of people would take exception to him regardless of game quality.

Silver getting his own game? Maybe eventually, but I'm sure others would get in before him. There is one exception I could see, though. An idea I had was for a spinoff "series" of Sonic games related to various characters' origins. For example, would Shadow be featured it would go through the events of the Ark Incident fifty years ago, Blaze would be about events prior to Sonic Rush, same with Knuckles and Sonic 3. Silver, of course, was another character I had in mind, and it'd be nice to see some of his backstory prior to Rivals.

This is, honestly, the only way I can see Silver getting his own game: in a "Sonic Origins" type of series. A lot of franchises do it, and it honestly wouldn't surprise me if Sega tries it later on, but other than that, I can't see Silver getting his own game.

As for how it would work... I definitely like the "point-and-click" idea for a Wii game. That would probably be the best method, but another option would be using the DS touch screen. If such a feature could be developed well enough on 360 or PS3, that may be a good idea, but again, it would be more difficult, and I don't think a Silver game would sell well enough to justify the extra expense for the HD consoles.

Also true, but when we look at personal tastes we need to throw in the concept of universal appeal in as well.

Shadow, was a bad-a$$ Black and Red Sonic knock-off, meaning that basically everyone would drool over him if he was handled correctly. Silver is a new gameplay style with a radical look and a polarizing "needy-ness". It was predetermined that a significant number of people would take exception to him regardless of game quality.

Which kind of reinforces my point further in it being moreso the game holding the weight and not so much the character. Had Silver's gameplay actually been handled greatly in that it wasn't as different compared to Sonic and Shadow's gameplay style in sonic 06, that could in theory have added to his popularity. If we throw in personal tastes and universal appeal, I'd say we might as well throw in delivery and execution as well when it comes to newer faces.

People aren't always looking forward to new things sometimes, and this holds greatly for new characters. If a new face is going to be around in the series, it would have to deliver something extra to the table without detracting too much that would end up throwing people off from what they already have and/or expected. Sonic emphasized speedy gameplay and straightfowardness (along with other general elements that I don't know how to call out), while Shadow attempted to combine a similar speediness with combat. Silver on the other hand derailed from being speedy (that's not to say he was that slow) with telekinesis and puzzle solving, which many might consider the reason he did not fare so well with certain fans. If Silver had a bit more of speed into him to combine with his telekinesis, and had little or no puzzle solving elements in the way it was executed in his story, there might have been more who would've liked the character's gameplay.

I would base this mainly off of Chip in that, while he did come later than Silver, defied expectations of being an annoying character to many. He was a new character with a radical look to him, more different than any other character, and although he wasn't involved in the gameplay (which I'll admit does weaken my theory quite a bit), he was expected to have little fans at all. When we ended up seeing the character in action, a lot of those same people (myself included, because I was among those who thought he wouldn't turn out so good) were surprised that he wasn't anything that we expected, and because he actually delievered something those people could actually like in him, he actually was more well recieved than expected. Of course, there are those who still though of him as annoying from the start, but we all know you can't please everybody.

There's a lot more factors at play that we might think when it comes to this, and predictions aren't always what we would expect. You'd be surprised how a bad first impression of a character can be thrown out the window when the character proves to be enjoyable, and were the same case to happen with Silver in Sonic 06 there's the possibility that he could've been a lot better recieved than he was.

Although, I'm not sure how Silver got into what I was originally sticking up for. I know the title of the topic was about Silver the Hedgehog, but I was actually defending Shadow more in that it wasn't exactly him getting his own game being a factor in the failure of his game.